Cook, Griffin Make Successful Returns To Lineup

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 27, 2010 – 8:25 am

An already impressively strong Vikings defense got a lot stronger on Sunday because CBs Chris Cook and Cedric Griffin made their returns to the lineup after battling back from knee injuries. As a result, the Vikings secondary played perhaps its best game of the short season.

Griffin injured his knee during last year’s NFC Championship Game and aggressively rehabbed the injury to the point where he wanted to be on the field at the commencement of training camp. The Vikings decided against that move but Griffin continued his hard work and was able to come back earlier than anyone anticipated.

Cook injured his knee at the end of the preseason and was forced to sit out the team’s first 2 regular season games. But he, too, worked hard to get back and made his return on Sunday along with Griffin. The ultimate result was a much deeper Vikings CB corps and a stronger secondary overall.

“Great to have those two guys back,” Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said after the game. “It’s nice to have two bigger bodies in there. I know that Cedric contested a couple of passes, and Chris had a nice breakup. They’ll only get better and better as they get back into that football shape and practicing potentially as starters.”

Neither Griffin nor Cook were stars of the game so to speak, but as Childress pointed out they both had impact plays and their presence in the lineup added depth to the position and also made players around them better. I was told by someone after the game that S Husain Abdullah had his best game of the season and my sense is that it could have something to do with both Cook and Griffin being in the lineup.

Following the victory over Detroit, both Cook and Griffin spoke with reporters in the locker room and sounded like guys who approached their rehab the correct way and were also thrilled to be back in the action.

“When you take time away from the game, you learn a bit more,” Griffin explained. “Your awareness is heightened, you gain appreciation for the game and that’s what I did. I appreciate this game and I love this game. I’m glad my teammates supported me and the coaches allowed me to get back into practice and get up to speed and get back out here for the Lions.”

Cook spoke about battling an injury early in his 1st season as a pro.

“It did hurt mentally to get hurt early on but I’m a confident guy and I didn’t let it kill my confidence,” the rookie CB said. “I just looked at it as a minor setback with a major comeback. I just worked as hard as I can to get back.”

As I stated above, the Vikings defense was already a strong unit without Cook and Griffin in the lineup. But there’s no doubt that the defense is even better with both CBs on the field. It’ll be interesting to see if the presence of Cook and Griffin in the lineup will alter how assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier schemes and strategizes.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Cook, Griffin Make Successful Returns To Lineup”

1. By purplehorn on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Defense wins championships? Just need to get the offense healthy and sync up. Both OT’s just need to change how they line up for speed rushers……move a half step further away from the guards and force the speed rushers inside because of the angle. Tice would have called that, because he was, if not a good head coach, a good line coach. Is missing Rice causing all the problems on offense? Peterson said it best. Five plays in the first two games going a different way and maybe the Vikings are 3-0? No doubt…..offense needs to sync up over the bye and this team will win some games.

2. By NYViking on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

So glad Ced and Cook are back. Great to see thiem, they played well, and will continue to be even better. Now, if we can get Sydney back, we’ll be all set.

3. By vikingsfan4life on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

yes let’s take a look at the game, FAVRE, 23/34 201 yards 1 TD and 2 INT’s, key here is 2 INT’s, AP, 23 carries 160 yards and 2 TD’s, key here is 2 TD’s… looks to to AP won this game for us and at the rate favre is going he is going to have more INT’s then TD’s this season if he don’t wake up..AP cannot win all the rest of the games for us..we need favre and the rest of the ofense to wake up and get right this is just one win we have 13 more games to go..and sorry to say but favre don’t look like the same favre from last year it just seems to me that he just can’t get on track this year he already has 6 INT’s this season and we are only 3 games into the season !!!!! this is not good we need sydney rice back before it’s to late or the vikings season is over !!!!! they should have just let favre retire this year with the awesome season he had in 2009.

4. By vikingsfan4life on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

we have a bye week this week and I hope it help’s us more then it hurts us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! time will tell.

5. By Rick James on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I know you wanna place the blame on Favre and some of it should be,but go back and watch the game film on how many of the pics are his fault. Shanks got hooked in new orleans, one bounced off Percys shoulder, 2 were tipped passed(one at the line of scrimmage. That leaves 2 interceptions there. He is a step behind, but it is unfair to hold him to the standard of last year. The reality is, with the run game we have and the defense we have we dont need him to win every game. The key thing we need outta him is to show up when it counts and i think he did that yesterday. Another unmentioned arguement is the fact that he has to hit the recievers in stride for them to catch the ball. It is the QB’s job to put the ball in position for the WR to catch the ball, and on a whole i believe Favre has done that well. It is the job of the WR to catch the good ones and make plays for the not as good ones. I dont recall a single play this year where the WR has gone up and made the play on the ball…

6. By vikingsfan4life on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

favre needs 1 more TD and 74 yards to reach 2 milestones, 500 TD’s and 70.000 yards, yes he will get that and then some before this season is over, don’t get me wrong I like favre, did not like playing against him when he was with the packers,and last year with the vikings was just awesome, the man is a legend and a true icon of the nfl, I just think his time is up thats all……………………………………………..

7. By rocksalt on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

That’s right- our WR’s have not looked all that sharp……..

8. By Rick James on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

It’s always going to be a combination of things. I think it starts up front with the protection, carries over with the gunslinger getting the ball into a catchable position and ends with the guys catching the ball. When all 3 phases are off and running, this offense is scary good! I dont think it’s time to get down. I think it’s time to re-energize as a fan base and take in the positivity of winning the game. Maybe now the pressure is released a bit and the offense can get rolling. I do know one thing, and that is that we have a championship caliber defense. I believe some questions reguarding our secondary needs to be put on hold, because they are playing extremely well and i believe they will get better. It’s up to the coaching staff now to come up with a game plan to keep those Jet pass rushers off Favre because they can bring the heat. But we have 2 weeks to prepare, and i think we will pull it out. GO VIKES!!!!

9. By fire childress on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

i’m not sure why the Chargers weren’t happy with a 2nd round and conditional pick for V. Jackson, but as of right now, the vikings don’t have a number 1 receiver. our next 5 games without a number 1 receiver may not even be games with extremely though teams on the schedule. can’t win games without a number 1 receiver

10. By fire childress on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

remember when our number 1 receiver was Bobby Wade-thats about our talent level now at the wide receiver corps

11. By Bruce on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

vokingsfan4life, dont get so down on Brett, at least half thoss interceptions aren’t his fault at all. A tipped ball because the tackle can’t stop a defensive end is not Brett’s fault. A route not run right by a receiver is not Brett’s fault. A ball that goes through the receiver’s hands is not Brett’s fault. People want to blame Brett for all these interceptions and it isn’t fair at all. And how many years younger is Eli Manning? I think he has the same number of interceptions if memory serves me right. Get Brett some better protection and get these receivers to run their routes better and be where they are suppose to be and you will see these interceptions disappear.

12. By Lito on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Defense is getting better each game. The offense needs to catch up. Management has to address the areas of need such as the offensive line and a return specialist. Who wants to lead the receiving corp? Who among them will step-up and be productive in a consistent basis?

13. By Purple Nurple on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

for GOD’S sake,TRY TRY some other options at WR,I’m
    bbbbbbbbeeeeeegggging!!!

14. By Purple Nurple on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Bobbles Barrian,Waste Baskett & Peg Leg Lewis ‘AINT cuttin’ IT!!!!

15. By Cal on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

thats funny purple nurple

16. By Rogerthevikefan on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

That was pretty funny to bad its true

2. Sep 27, 2010: Cook, Griffin Make Successful Returns To Lineup | Vikings Stop Blog