Some Game-Day Notes To Keep You Occupied

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 9, 2010 – 1:20 pm

It’s finally game day as kickoff to the 2010 regular season is now just hours away. But the anticipation still mounts. To hold you over for just a few more hours, here are a few game-day notes to chew on…

Vikings On Opening Day
– Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress is 3-1 in season openers, defeating the Washington Redskins 19-16 in 2006, the Atlanta Falcons 24-3 in ‘07, the Cleveland Browns 34-20 in ‘09 and falling to the Green Bay Packers 24-19 in 2008.

– Over the team’s 49-year history, the Vikings are a combined 28-20-1 on opening day.

– The Vikings have opened the regular season against the Saints just twice, both games in New Orleans in 1976 (9/12) and 1978 (9/3). Minnesota is 1-1 in those games, beating the Saints 40-9 in 1976 and losing 24-31 two years later .

Vikings vs. Saints Series Notes
– The Vikings hold an overall 20-8-0 record against the Saints; they are 12-2 at home and 8-6 at New Orleans.

– The Vikings have outscored New Orleans 771-493 in the 28-game series and have averaged 27.5 points per game against the Saints.

– The Vikings have won the last 3 of the last 4 matchups in the Super Dome.

– Fourteen of the Vikings 20 wins have been by 10+ points and 7 of them have been by 20+ points.

12 Responses to “Some Game-Day Notes To Keep You Occupied”

1. By David on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Positive notes :) SKOL VIKES!!

2. By Eugene on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t see any Saints fans trolling here I guess the truth hurts huh?..Go Vikings!!

3. By michandre on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I am ready for some football action. Should be fun.

4. By RESQR on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Read this article and see if you still believe. The truth hurts…….

5. By Richard (Purple Elephant) on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Thanks RESQR, I’m a even bigger fan of his now. I don’t think people want to admit how good he is. Now he has played 20 straight years at quarteback, without missing a game, the position that everybody is trying to go after, he has not missed a game, he has damm near every quarterback record, why, gee, I don’t know, maybe because he is one of the best of all time. A punter or kick-off kicker won’t last 20 years. I would bet many teams if they knew they were getting a Brett Favre they would give up all there draft choices for 5 straight years. Not only could a coach, team, fans ask for anything more from a quarterback, he lifts the team, he’s running around the team pumping them up, congratulating team players when they make a good play. You are missing out on a chance to watch one of the best players if to play the game. How many players get there millions of dollars they get hurt and 3 years later there finished, thats what I’m talking about, he’s in there to play, not the money. Does that ring any bells on what is a dream quarterback, he desreves to wear the cap that says Superbowl Champions one more time. Thanks Richard (The Purple Elephant Guy)

6. By GWVikes on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

He did not ask for the money. They gave him the money as an inticement dumb ass. Brett Favre is a leader and a motivator and not a dommsdayer like you.

7. By Matt on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more Rich. Even if we lost every game this season and he didn’t throw one TD pass, he’d still go down as one of the greatest players to ever touch a football. It doesn’t matter much what others say. Myself and the rest of the TRUE Vikings fans will always remember 2009. SKOAL Vikes!!!!

8. By Garrett on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Very well put Matt…. They are just upset because he doesn’t play for their teams and the simple fact that they are intimidated by what the Vikes can do!!!

9. By I HATE PACKER FANS on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Let’s go Vikings!!! Who Dat!?!?! We Dat!!!! SKOL VIKES!!!!! It’s going to be an EPIC NIGHT! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

10. By nola on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Please tell me what relevance this article has on the game tonight ? Really, if you note the stats your Vikings have declined since 2006 under Childress.
    I have to emphasize that as long as the Wilf’s keep Childress your talented team will continue to decline in years to come.
    Take it from us in New Orleans through all of our Heart Ache Years and the Excuses of our Third Rate Coaches we have had previously, the nucleus of any good or great team has to start with the Leadership, Chemistry and Continuity of Coaching, General Managing and Ownership.
    I really pitty you die hard Viking Fan’s and we are not slighting your Team because all of your players are very talented. Until the Ziggy and Mark open their eyes you will go through some agonizing times. Good Luck, Good Health to all of our players. WHODATNATION.

11. By Robins on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I was born a packer fan and am now a Vikings fan forever. I am a B rett Favre fan forever. I remember for about 25 years the packers were lousy, and then we got Brett Favre. Wow, he made us great again. What Brett accomplished was amazing. I believe he has made a lot of people football fans! To watch him play is magical! I feel that if Brett had better protection with the Packers he would have been to and won a lot more Super Bowls. We spent many games yelling at the coach to give Brett some protection. He is the greatest there is and he would have been greater if he had just had the protection. People that hate him like Packer fans are rediculous. He has made football a blast to watch. I hope Brett has a great year. Protect him.

12. By EricDuluth on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Lets stop arguing fellas and watch some F***ing football and watch our VIKE;S kick some AINTS ass on their home tuff, WHO DAT GONA BEAT THEM AINTS? THE MN> VIKINGS THAT WHO DAT<obviously they speak a different language down there ther