Webb Opening Some Eyes, Wide Open

Posted by cjsiewert on September 3, 2010 – 8:05 am

With unquestionable athleticism and pure talent, rookie QB Joe Webb has made a big splash this preseason by having his way with the defenses thrown at him. There was skepticism prior to preseason play on whether or not the former University of Alabama-Birmingham standout would be able to handle the dynamic defenses of the NFL, but by way of showcasing his athleticism during the 4 preseason games, the rookie QB has turned that skepticism into optimism.

Webb’s passing stats are nothing remarkable, but they are respectable for a raw rookie QB – 17 of 30 for 191 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs (95.3 rating) – but what the stats don’t show is the “playmaker” factor. Pure and simple, Webb makes plays that many other QBs cannot make.

The former Blazer has done a great job of making his reads while evading the pass rush nearly every time he’s been hurried. He’s been sacked just twice in 4 games played and without his ability to avoid the pass rush, that number could easily be doubled or tripled. But avoiding the rush is just half the equation; it’s what he can do after escaping defenders in the pocket that makes #14 a special football player.

Webb finished the preseason as the Vikings leading rusher, topping the combined numbers of RBs Adrian Peterson and Albert Young. The Vikings 4th-string QB tallied 126 yards on 11 attempts and 1 TD with not 1 of those attempts as a called running play. Quintessentially, Webb has gained 126 yards by evading the pass rush. Two of Webb’s rushing attempts this preseason were big “playmaker” plays. One coming on a 48-yard sprint down the middle of the field in San Francisco for a TD and the other occurring Thursday night on a scamper along the Bronco sideline for a 41-yard gain.

“I think I did pretty good,” Webb told reporters after Thursday night’s 31-24 victory over Denver. “Just went out there and made a couple of plays and opened up some eyes a little bit. There is a lot to learn from this tape. I just thought I did all that I could.”

What is uncertain at this point is how the Vikings coaching staff will address their backup QBs with a 22-man cut to take place on Saturday. The Purple have not held 4 QBs on their regular season roster during Head Coach Brad Childress’ time at the helm and Webb is currently in that QB4 slot. What is certain, though, is that Webb’s potential as an NFL “playmaker” has thrown another dynamic into the roster cut-down assessment.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 35 Comments »

35 Responses to “Webb Opening Some Eyes, Wide Open”

1. By DOCTORAPK on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe looks to be the real deal. I think he belongs on the squad…not in some practice league.

2. By True on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Webb is a great athlete and fun to watch I think he will be a good QB someday. Sage should be the back up and Jackson should find a new envirement and see if that helps him improve. He is struggling.

3. By mshowyourhorns on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

all you t-jack lovers out there i think he showed us he will never make it in this leage its time to cut him lose

4. By NYViking on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I think Joe should stay and TJack should go.

5. By John on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I think T.joke should be lose.

6. By JD on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I agree we need to get rid of T Jack maybe we could get a new water cooler or bench for him

7. By Austin on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

You guys should keep webb, he is an excellent playmaker, he runs like vick, what else do you need for a #4 qb? i think he would be an excellent wildcat qb for us, and i hate to say it, but t-jack is looking horrible..

8. By Bill on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe needs to remain on our team…what is up with Chill’s pride? Too much time and energy was put into TJ and we need to look into the future. Come on Vikes make a move and keep Webb somehow…I have to agree he (TJ) should be cut loose, but I have thought this for at least 3 seasons..

9. By Tammy on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Keep Joe!!! He kept me up and watching the game til the very end!!!! Fun to watch!!! And … he can put points on the board … refreshing.

10. By Alex on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb has “it”. He has the presence and athletic ability to keep people on the edge of their seats whenever he’s in there. It also looks like he has the class to be a quality team and community leader. Go Joe

11. By Darcy on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I’ve tried to like TJ, I really have. But he just doesn’t have it. Time to move on, Childress. Let’s see if Webb can learn to be an NFL QB. He’s already shown that he has the smarts and moxie. His passing needs polish – but he’s got the arm, for sure.

12. By reality Check on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

TJoke must go, he looked terrible in all four games

13. By Brent on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

TJ nees to go he has never had it and if Childress keeps him it will be the end of Childress.

14. By Scott from South Dakota on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Looks like I’m not the only one on the Joe Webb band wagon. Even in last night’s final preseason game the offense just seemed to click better with him and Sage in there. Not sure how you can did it coach but from my perspective here in South Dakota it seems like Favre, Rosenfels & Webb is the way to go in ’10 – ’11. Remember, even Brett was a late round pick 20 years ago.

15. By Knutson7 on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Webb is amazing! A real athlete for sure! He can throw, he can run it himself – he’s got serious talent! Keep him and toss Rosenfels – he barely contributes! T. Jack better watch out if this happens cuz Webb could make it as #2 also!!

16. By Scott from South Dakota on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Yah but at least Rosenfels has poise. You never know what’s going to happen when Tjack is in there!

17. By Spanky on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

TJack doesn’t have the smarts it takes to play in the NFL….one other thing…with all the x-packers on the Viking Team i’m starting to think of green bay as the Vikings Farm Team……

18. By Vikesfan on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings definately need to at least use Webb as a 3rd down option in selective situations. This would be a powerful way to throw off opponents. He’s a homerun threat, do you not think this would drive coaches crazy trying to game plan for his talents in the run/pass game?

This makes our offense wide open and anything would be possible. Do Vikings Just Do it!

19. By Scott from South Dakota on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Farm Team hah…look who has won the NFC North the past couple of years and then pop off!

20. By Spanky on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

if the vikes do trade TJack the best we can hope for is a bundle of soiled towels and thats being kind…..CUT HIM NOW!!!

21. By Spanky on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

there are only 2 people in the world that like TJack and they are Chilly & TJack.

22. By MGR4FUN on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

young mr webb is most definately a keeper not to mention a whole lot of fun to watch

23. By Randi on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Why is it that Childress is so dead set on keeping Jackson. Admit it you made a mistake. Vikings have given him 3 seasons already and nothing has come of it. Webb is already looking better and more promising. Why not be smart and cut Jackson lose and give Webb this season to learn under Favre. Let’s face it we need to start preparing for the future and it’s not in Jackson. At least Sage is capable of making some plays but Jackson’s got to go.

24. By Spanky on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

scott from south dakota…..if you dont understand what a farm team is dont POP OFF!!

25. By Alvin on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Have to admit that Webb is a big keeper. I woud release Sage and groom the youth behind Brett. Don’t sleep on the Vikings offense. This team is loaded with speed and power! All this chatter about the Packers winning the division, I don’t know where that is coming from –Brett has the entire Greenbay playbook..which defense will be better prepared to face the other team –the Vikings of course!

26. By Icevike on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I realy feel pitty for Jackson, I think he does everything to make things happen and it looks like it is just not enough. Now I honestly think that he needs a fresh start, no matter what, he won’t be well received by Vikings fans anytime soon.

27. By tman on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I agree, finally, that Tjack has to go. I tried to believe in him since Chilly must see something in camp. But on the field under the big lights, he just isn’t producing. I was so happy when we got Sage, and now with the development of Webb, we just have too much qbs for a 53 man roster.

28. By Joe on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb loks like a brand new “Joe Kapp” with the elusiveness of Tarkington. It’s time for T-Jack to make a change which would be good for him and the team.

29. By dan by the dam on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Webb should stay, flip a coin on which other QB to cut! Sage seems to make better game desisions, T Jack has physical abilities and maybe should go play special teams as gunner if keep him also, else I agree TJ has had years to show he get’s big picture, and every time game time he shows he still is not mentally able to figure out this game!

30. By vikelove on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I enjoy watching Joe! He is fun to watch and I can’t wait to see what happens down the road with him. Keep Him and let him learn the position under a great veteran. T-jack is not fun to watch…I am not hooked to the tv like i was last night and the first game watching webb. I was hooked with webb the first play he made on his first game and last nights run was awsome!

31. By 4eversteve on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

Hope Chilly is not stupid enough to think that Joe Webb will clear waivers . Not a chance, what would make it worse is if a team in our own division claimed him. That would really anger Viking fans everywhere and a call would go out to have Chilly fired, Frazier would make a better head coach anyhow.

32. By wisconsinvikesfan on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I liked tjack once but this preseason tells me that maybe his teammates don’t like him. I think he should go play somewhere else.

33. By Penny Nance on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb is one of the best play making pure atheletes I have ever seen. I am from Alabama and have been watching this playmaker for his entire college career and believe you me, he is the real deal. I am definitely Joe’s No 1 fan have been since the first time I saw him play. If the Vikings do not keep Joe, they need their head examined. He has been a great asset to their offense from the first time he stepped on the field in a game as a Viking and he will continue to make plays and give you every thing he has. KEEP JOE!

34. By TC Huddle on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the post! We love following your site. Check out our Webb content at our new site TC Huddle- http://www.tchuddle.com/?p=56#more-56

2. Sep 3, 2010: Webb Opening Some Eyes, Wide Open | Vikings Stop Blog