Positive Signs Regarding Harvin’s Status

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 30, 2010 – 6:05 am

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress used the phrase “in flux” to describe his offense last week and after Saturday night’s preseason victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Part of the reason the Vikings offense has been in flux over recent weeks is because Percy Harvin’s status has been in flux as well.

Harvin has missed extended time over the last month or so due to a death in the family and his migraine condition. Migraines forced Harvin out of action last season and then the condition resurfaced a couple weeks ago. But last year’s AP Offensive Rookie of the Year was able to suit up on Saturday night against Seattle and haul in a pair of receptions for 30 yards, a positive indication for his near-term status.

“I was,” Childress responded when asked if he was encouraged by Harvin’s performance on Saturday night. “I would like to see him more active in the offense. There are some signs of rust, you can tell from some of those routes he ran. It’s just good to see his smiling face out there. He didn’t seem any worse for the wear. He took a couple pretty good licks.”

Harvin took one hit early in the game that caused his helmet to become dislodged and then he took another hit later in the game that caused him to pause for a moment before rising to his feet. But he seemed fine on standing on the sidelines once the 1st-offense was removed from the game and he also was in good spirits while speaking with reporters on the field following the game and with Childress in the locker room after the game.

“We’re feeling really confident,” Harvin said. “I know we said that a couple times, but I think this time we found what the main cause was. I’m not saying I’ll never get a headache again, but hopefully we can slow it down a little bit. … It’s not life-threatening, but it’s something we need to work on and I will.”

Harvin had more to say in a story posted on the Star Tribune’s website by Mark Craig.

Although Harvin’s battle with migraines have been a life-long ordeal and will likely remain that way during his NFL career, recent developments have produced positive signs for his near-term future. And that’s a good thing for the Vikings and, more importantly, Harvin.

Tags:

21 Responses to “Positive Signs Regarding Harvin’s Status”

1. By Bigfan1 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Good luck Percy now go win a Super Bowl.

2. By Carl K on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Good News. The chemistry between Favre and Harvin is great stuff.

3. By Austnjay on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I hope they find the cause of his migranes.

4. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Good luck harvin your a great player. So hopefuly they found the cause so you don’t have to suffer any more. Have a great season percy help destroy the aints and fudge packers. Make their fans cry for thinking they are better teams then the vikes.

5. By mnsoldier on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Why is Childress still holding out hope that T-Jack will someday maybe become a quality NFL QB. He has proven that against first string D’s he just doesnt have it. Move on. Webb has shown more in the few weeks he has been with the vikes than Tjack has his whole career. I would have gone with Sage as a starter and let Favre retire. Mn will get close again but will fall short once again due to not having the killer instinct to grab the other guy by the neck and squeeze until they submit.
    But Chili wont release a guy he has leveraged his career on so we are stuck with both for the yr and chili for the next couple.

6. By tim on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

PERCY, I wish you well. My son suffers from Migraines, so I know all too well what you are going thru. take care.

7. By Derick on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Legalize medical marijuana and deregulate it in the NFL. Join the pot for percy drive.

8. By Robin Gudal on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I am sure you have tried ‘everyones’ cures for your headaches. However I have had migranes for 30+ years, have beeen on perscription medicine which did nothing, thus I have read and read about headaches thru the years and have put together this list which has helped others, I pass it on to you. The ** ones have been very helpful to me. My son has used oxyen and it helped alot!!

Headaches
    AVOID:
    **MSG—Chinese foods, potatoes chips ect.]
    **Large consumption of milk products
    Red dyes in food
    “Stress”
    **A lot of sugar
    **Reduce / eliminate caffeine
    Lighting can also bother
    TO DO:
    Follow above things as a lifestyle
    ***drink natural hot raspberry tea
    ***Drink sparkling carbonated waters [this has been proven to help ….keeps the body/brain hydrated]
    Exercise daily—go for a peaceful walk
    Get enough rest
    ***Take ‘feverfew’ available at pharmacy
    At first feeling of headache—treat it
    I have also heard almonds are beneficial

I hope you start to have relief.

I have also been helped by a chirop. in the cities whom is fabulous with helath issues others just don’t seem to be able to help. His name is Dr. Troy Spurrill at Synapse.#651-209-9906. I would be shocked if he wasn’t able to help you – people fly into his facility from all other the nation. He is an author, speaker and a GREAT person to help restore one to a normal life. :)

BLESSINGS to you –
    RG

9. By Rose Hosek, L.Ac, Dipl.OM, MSOM on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Has Harvin thought about trying Acupuncture/ Chinese Herbs for his migraines? I used to have migraines (6-7 per month) that would cause me to vomit and the sound of my own breath hurt. You couldn’t tell when one was going to hit until it was too late to do anything about it, and you could never tell how long they would last. It seemed no one could help me, medication made me sick and all tests came back pretty normal. I didn’ want to live this way like the doctors told me I would have to; I went to see an acupuncturist (16years ago) and I haven’t had a migraine in 16 years! That is what made me decide to become an acupuncturist and bring this healing medicine back to northern Iowa. Migraines are caused by a variety of things, each individual to the person, but it boils down to the body is not in balance and the migraines go away once the energy in the body is flowing correctly. I would like to you to consider this safe and effective alternative in addition to the doctor’s reccomendations, acupuncture can make current treatments work more effectively and with fewer side effects. A great resource to find an acupuncturust is on the National Certification Website http://www.nccaom.org and then check for current state licensing.

10. By Becky Hammons on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have suffered from cronic migraines all my life. In April I went GLUTEN FREE and have not had a headache since. Might be worth a try for Percy.

11. By HarvinFan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey my friends and I have been getting the same Migraines so we all went to the ddoctor together.. they ran some tests and found out that theirs a new allergy going around… a sign of these allergy migraines is majority of the time one side of the head will ache instead of the whole head.

12. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

To all the “Doctors” posting their migraine perscriptions on here: LEARN TO READ!

“I think this time we found what the main cause was. I’m not saying I’ll never get a headache again, but hopefully we can slow it down a little bit”

“Although Harvin’s battle with migraines have been a life-long ordeal and will likely remain that way during his NFL career, recent developments have produced positive signs”

I’m sure Harvin has been looking on this site constantly to see Witch Doctor (that’s right, typo intended!) has the cure for his problem, but now that things are improving there’s no reason for you to keep on trying to help him out.

13. By paul on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Lots of witch doctors in the land of 10,000 lakes and 0 super bowl champion ships.

14. By lefty on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I am sure he found some good doctors by now. STAY AWAY FROM COFFEE PERCY. AND WINNING SUPERBOWL WILL MAKE HARVIN’ s MIGRAINES CURED FOR GOOD. GO VIKES

15. By GJ on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Show them what you do Percy. Remember what you and the team did to James Robinson, Championship game. It’s your time again.

16. By Aaron Wheeler on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

People please stop filling up the comment boards with something that has helped you ,or percy should try this and that, he is working with the best doctors in the nation and, I’m sure he has tried alot of things. He doesn’t need the average joe telling him what to do and try.

17. By Genny Campbell on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Migraines can be caused by undiagnosed food allergy to Gluten. I want present the horrible and disastrous effects undiagnosed food allergy “GLUTEN” can have on your life. Gluten is a protein primarily found in wheat. Now before you scoff at the idea that you are allergic to wheat, Research has proven that “undiagnosed” food allergy, can in fact, cause debilitating migraines. The reason no MD will tell you this or treat you for this is because American Doctors will only treat you with prescription drugs. They will not recommend testing you for a disease where the cure is “free”. All you have to do with gluten allergy is Stop Eating Gluten. If you don’t believe me, the other name for Gluten allergies is Celiac’s Disease. You may have an acute, chronic condition. Don’t be fooled, gluten has been linked to causing schizophrenia, ADD/ADHD and Autism. This horrible disease is in my family and has been devastating. Don’t let this happen to you and your long-sought, hard-won career.

Just in case you don’t believe me, I’ve included confirming research as published on PUBMED. The link is on the “website” field of this comment form. Third, if that doesn’t convince you, ask Elizabeth Hasselbeck and her husband Matt, what it’s like to live with Gluten allergy otherwise known as Celiacs disease.

18. By Kristen on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Another “Witch Doctor” here. For those of you who have been lucky enough to never have SUFFERED from a migraine I don’t expect you to understand why we offer our SUGGESTIONS

19. By Kristen on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Here’s my suggestion….Cut out Gatorade! Gatorade is sweet because of an artifical sweetner named sucralose (same ingredient used in Splenda). Sucralose has been linked to migraines and other health related issues. Do the research, you’d be surprised. And as for Percy’s condition being a life-long one, sucralose is used in Sugar Free foods as well as Diet Drinks, so being an athlete he has probably consumed his fair share of these “healthy” products even as a child. I say keep the suggestions coming, migraine sufferers, like Percy, appreciate them. FYI – I’ve removed sucralose from my diet 13 months ago, I haven’t had a migraine in 13 months. Coincidence? Probably not.

20. By MGR4FUN on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

alls i can say is that mr harvin is an amazin athlete and i hope and pray for his health and ability to enjoy his chosen profession … however football is just a game and life is way more important than any game … that bein said he does look gr8 in purple dont he … #12 rocks

2. Aug 30, 2010: Positive Signs Regarding Harvin’s Status | Vikings Stop Blog