Vikings Top Seahawks 24-13 Behind 4th-Quarter Comeback

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 28, 2010 – 9:48 pm

Preseason games often times lose their interest past halftime, but that wasn’t the case on Saturday night at Mall of America Field, where the Vikings pulled out a 24-13 come-from behind victory over the Seattle Seahawks to improve their preseason record to 2-1 and, more importantly, move another step closer to opening the 2010 regular season.

Brett Favre and the Vikings 1st team offense racked up 223 yards of offense in the opening 2 quarters but penalties and turnovers compromised scoring opportunities. The Vikings defense dominated Seattle’s 1st team offense, holding them to just 98 net yards of offense in the 1st half. As a result, the teams entered halftime knotted at 10.

Seattle opened up another lead early in the 3rd quarter with an Olindo Mare FG; there was no other scoring in the 3rd period.

But the Vikings offense opened up a bit in the 4th quarter, with both Sage Rosenfels and Joe Webb leading scoring drives. Rosenfels capped his drive by lofting a pass to Javon Walker in the endzone. Walker, acquired earlier in the week, made an acrobatic catch over 2 defenders for the score, giving the Vikings a 17-13 lead after the Ryan Longwell PAT. On the Vikings next possession, Webb entered the game and capped his drive by hitting fellow rookie Ryan D’Imperio. The fullback bullied his way into the endzone for a 7-yard score that gave the Vikings a 24-13 lead.

The scoring ended there and the Vikings came away with their 2nd win of the 2010 preseason. We’ll have more coverage, including a complete game recap, highlights, on-demand video of head coach Brad Childress and Favre’s press conferences and much more.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in All | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “Vikings Top Seahawks 24-13 Behind 4th-Quarter Comeback”

1. By purplehorn on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Good practice for all. Next week the guys on the bubble will really need to play their hearts out to win a spot.

2. By brody on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

my pick for depth chart offense

qb-favre,sage,Webb
    rb-ap,toby,darius or johnson
    fb-d’imperio
    te-shank,jimmy, hopefully our draft pick too
    wr-harvin,cam,walker,berrian,payne rice being on pup list

what do think?

3. By Jon on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Nice win!!! time is important right now. sounds like Brett is missing Rice . He will have to trust what he has. Those other guys can play Brett. or they would not be there. All phases need to come together. right now. The Saints are for real. Keep Joe Webb Chili.
    With clean hard effective defense we can win that game. Looking forward to it, GO VIKINGS

4. By Gunter on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Sure there is a lot of things that need to be ironed out or we’re going to be in trouble but all I know is that tonight I saw enough to get me excited!!!

5. By MGR4FUN on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

run the ball … stop the run … be very special on special teams … then let the natural athletes take over the game … a fine win … still got work to do … lots to take away from this victory … good and not so good … time for the coaches to step up and earn their money as well … coach em up … because the broncos are “NEXT”

6. By vikingfan1955 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I like what I see in what we have as of now. I said b4 just trust in favre and the veteran and we will be ok. I see the recievers we have now are catcng the ball and from what Im have read on the practices the recovers are making a lot of good and even outstanding catches. There was a little rust this game but thats expected bot overall I’m confident we can win against the saints with the team we have now. The offence did very well this game and they will be ready. Chilly will not be the main play caller for the offence this yr so thats a plus. I see the corners are improving well and we really need them and I think they will be very solid this year. I believe in the vikings as they are now and for all true fans, I can’t wait tto see to see the vikings saints game.

7. By jif on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings need to pick up a true number 1 wide receiver. they should look to grab somebody like NY’s Victor Cruz

8. By miko on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

please keep sage rosenfels on the roster. he is definitely a starter in this league

9. By PurpleFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Huge thanks from this outta market fan who’s totally diggin’ the PA calls and game wrap vid! Please don’t stop vikes dot com!

10. By arahn on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Looks like the pick-ups of Camarillo and Walker were brilliant. Please, keep Rosenfels at #2 QB — he can do the job when it counts! And, please, please, get another first rate O-lineman.

11. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know….I just don’t know about this team this year….magic looks to be gone…I know it is only preseason….but….I can hear it in Brett’s voice……DOUBT! AND REGRET FOR COMING BACK INTO A MESS! Sidney really threw this Offense for loop…..should have took care of that injury months ago….REALLY! And for that rock that sits at the end of our Offensive Line “Mckinnie” I’m starting to believe that anyone would be better than him! He doesn’t even look as if he is trying on some plays when our QB is getting killed! I’m starting NOT TO LOOK FORWARD TO SEPT. 9TH……WITH THOSE SAINTS AND THOSE BLITZ PACKAGES THAT THEY ARE GOING TO SEND IN ON BRETT….AND MCKINNIE PLAYING LIKE HE IS..SINCE LAST SEASON….BRETT WON’T EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF THAT FIRST GAME!!!!

12. By jimbo92107 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Order of QBs, based on last night’s performance: Sage, Favre, Webb, Jackson. Brett’s still got the arm, but he was looking slow on his feet. Web is an athlete of Randall Cunningham magnitude. His escape from a tackler’s arms reminded me of Cunningham, as does his cool under pressure. Sage looked well-schooled and under control, much better than last year. He should be Favre’s backup, especially after the uninspired performance of Tarvaris Jackson, the only QB that failed to move the offense down the field. …………. The O-Line looked very shaky on the right side. Herrerra got fooled on pass protection when they moved him to C. Whatever rookie was in at RG also got beat. They better pull it together if they want Favre to survive the first few games. Not to mention the shaky run blocking… ……….. RB competition looks interesting…I still think Ian Johnson looks better than Albert Young, just like last year…. Gerhart is for real, excellent power, surprisingly quick feet, good hands… AP looks nice and healthy again, got his burst back… Gotta keep Reynaud, he’s super versatile, like Palmer from the 90’s… Man, there’s a lot of tough cuts coming, because you really want to keep guys like D’Imperio and Payne..Special Teams? Camarillo looked very good, glue for hands, and it looks like Walker will sub for Rice.

13. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

OLDSCHOOL- I am glad to see someone else feels the way I do. The team does not seem to have the fire or hunger in their eyes. We did not get the DB or safety help we needed. I hope I am wrong, but I see Brees,Brady,Rodgers,Romo,etc. picking us APART! We look scared & have no confidence.

14. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

TWVIKE…..I concur……..UNFORTUNATLEY! Unless this team is holding back on purpose….which I doubt….we are in trouble…..BIG TIME!

15. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I hope we are both WRONG!

16. By purple_rain_man on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I almost wonder if the Vikings are playing a little coy in the pre-season. They just don’t seem to have the fire, especially on the O-line. Favre was a little rusty (to be expected), but it seems like every defense has been able to get a good jump on the first team O-line. If this doesn’t change the Vikings may need to bring a stretcher or two to New Orleans. – I’m just saying.

17. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I think we are lost, not playing coy! If our D-line doesnt get to Brees,it will be a long Thursday night. Hopefully are O-line shows up & protects #4. A.P. is going to have a big night also.

18. By viking reality check on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I like the fact that most people here in this blog are actually making sense. Yes Favre’s a bit rusty, but he’s the least of my concern because he’s great and will wip in to shape for the next 2 weeks. Big Mac still under-producing and favre is paying for this. Next keep Sage, the guy is looking good and will be great for backing Favre, Time to get rid of Tjoke and this High School level of playing should not be tolerated in the NFL. Camarillo looks solid and walker made one impressive catch. As long as the Oline improves Favre will connect with these guys.

Let get rid of the bench warmers off the team, also the vikes need some enthusiam, this aint a poker game

19. By Bruce on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

BRAD CHILDRESS…READ THIS POST! First offf, the O-line coaching SUCKS!!! WHY ARE OUR GUYS COMING OFF THEIR ASSIGEND GUYS AND DOUBLING UP ON ANOTHER RUSHER WHICH LEAVES THE MIDDLE OPEN FOR THEIR ASSIGNED GUY TO WALK RIGHT THROUGH TO BRETT??? WHY BRAD??? Look at the tape and you will see how the left side is failing miserably. I won’t name names but O-line protection will WORK MUCH BETTER IF EVERY GUY STICKS TO THEIR OWN GUY AND BLOCKS! ONE ON ONE, NOT 2 ON1 AND LEAVE THAT OTHER GUY FREE TO RUSH FAVRE AND INJURE HIM! Secondly Brad Childress, if you don’t want this fan believing that you don’t know how to run an offense, then don’t run FOUR RUNNING PLAYS IN A ROW IN THE RED ZONE ONLY TO COME UP EMPTY HANDED WITH NO POINTS AFTER A GREAT DRIVE! ALL FOUR DOWNS YOU TRIED TO RUN IT, WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING??? COME ON BRAD, YOU ARE GOING TO COST US A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH PLAY CALLING LIKE THAT!!! If 2 runs plays nets you NO YARDS then go with the play option and let Brett drill the end zone! DON’T RUN 2 MORE RUN PLAYS AND TURN THE BALL OVER ON DOWNS!!! SHEEESH!!! Also, the recievers need to keep running their routes and not slow down when looking back for the ball. Brett is throwing that ball figuring the reciever is running 100% all the time. And that first interception hit Berrian in the chest, Come on you guys, get it together. I wish I was the coach on this team especially when it comes to reviewing the film because I would give these guys a GOOD LECTURE!

20. By Bruce on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t you have a rule that when an offensive lineman comes off his block or misses his block more than 3 times in a game that he has to buy the O-line and the running backs and the quarterback dinner. Maybe having to foot the bill for dinner will humiliate them enough so that they stop that junk. OR have a reward incentive for O-line guys who never miss a block or never lose their guy. I don’t know, try something new because what you are doing now isn’t working and you are going to get Favre hurt from POOR PROTECTION! And NO MORE RUNNING 3-4 RUN PLAYS IN A ROW IN THE RED ZONE BRAD, THAT GETS YOU ZERO POINTS!!! You did that exact same thing last year in a regular season game and came up empty handed. Now STOP IT ALREADY!!!

21. By Robins on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Brett was great, considering this was his first time to really play this year and with new receivers again. Bernard should have been able to hang on to that ball. It was right to him! Greg Camarillo did really good, made some incredible catches! Javon showed he still has it. Great catch! It was great to see Percy back! McKinnie is a huge disapointment. What good is he if he keeps letting Brett get hurt? Sage was really great! He needs to be behind Brett. He has learned a lot from Brett already. He will be great for the Vikings when Brett does, unfortunately retire. Let Jackson go, someone can use him as a backup. I like Joe Webb for our second backup. Great touchdown Ryan!

22. By Renee on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Sage was impressive–it would be in our best interest to keep him and trade Jackson.

23. By Mike on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

In the preseason play calling is geared to players on the field, however the play calling last night was just like last year. DUMB! If Brad Childress makes the Vikings keep TJoke and drop Sage it will be another big dumb mistake. Sage is a way better QB than TJoke and he showed it last year in the preseason and he is showing it again this year. They need to keep Sage cause Favre couldnt run away from a 4 year old these days.

24. By Meekay on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m really liking Webb so far. I hope to see him getting some playtime in the next few seasons. If his game matures a bit, I think he could be a great QB for the Vikes.

I still think they need to use the passing game more. AP is great, but you have to spread the defense out a bit, especially at the end zone. You got Farve, so use him.

25. By allan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Im a Miami fan and I knew we made a mistake getting rid of camarillo..the guy is money,,not a speed burner but many times I saw him keep drives alive..we have bess and hartline for the slot so guees thats why they made the move..but a mistake in my book.

26. By Cal on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

to keep favres ankle intact ap needs 35-40 touchs in week 1 maybe bring on the purplecat stay away from 3rd and longs utilize play action keep breez on the bench

27. By Bob on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

FAV-Rah = Poo Poo

28. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

The only way we beat the Saints on Sept. 9th is AP, like Cal said, gets about 40 touches and has close to 200 yards that game! That will mean that the Saints will not have the ball in their hands that often because the time of poss. will be against them….can’t score when you don’t have the ball in your hands!

COME ON B. MCKINNIE…………..YOU SUCK!

29. By Daniel on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Liked the game, only 98 yards for the seahawks, do we have the best defense of the NFL or not? Go Vikings!!

30. By Pat the Viking on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I see that I’m not the only one concern, if a player really don’t want to be where they are – fans can see it in their playing –

if a player has his heart and head in the game and really wants to be there – fans can see them making great plays -

31. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Bob your wife says hi.

32. By Pat the Viking on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I love watching A.P. busting loose –

Passing is a way to get the lead and building up alot of points –

Rushing is the best way to wear out the other team defense and run out the clock.

I would really love to see AP get 2,000+ yards this year –

The OL needs some improvements – maybe they may need to rotate players in and out on the OL ?

33. By Cory on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings fortunes are linked 100% to the play of the Lines. The good news is we have the top DLine in the NFL…
    The bad news is our OLine is a complete and utter disaster. It is rare when a group is as completely ineffective in both aspects equally….BF and AP will not survive the season…Good God the Seahawks are AWFUL and they spent the 1st two series in the backfield…

34. By marcus on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

do see the vikes going after bryant? i think they should! that’s if his knee can hold up at lease for 8 or 10 games! till rice get back in the line up? maybe the can get a good value do to his injury history?

35. By vikingsfan1955 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe the lack of belief I’m hearing from fans. I don’t know what u have been watching but even as crippled as we are i see good plays from backups and new pick ups. I think as far as qb’s we are ok not solid but better than b4. If u think sage would be better than tj think again. I will say I see webb as a big possibility as a starter for us in the future.Trust me we have picked up ground as far as recievers and when the other two come back it will make us truly dangerous. I’n totally behind this team as it is and believe they will hold till the rest get healthy.

36. By Pat the Viking on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

2nd & 3rd Offense and DEFENSE – OUTSTANDING so far in the PRE-SEASON.

37. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Right now, we are not even close to the team we were last year.

38. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

This team has so many other glaring problems like the O-LIne and the lack of blocking and lack of running lanes……THAT IT DOESN’T MATTER WHO THE SECOND STRING QB IS, BECAUSE THE WAY IT LOOKS TO ME…………..THEY BOTH WILL GET SOME PLAYING TIME SOON DUE TO INJURIES! So if you want to talk about belief “vikingsfan1955″ and that YOU THINK EVERYTHING IS JUST DANDY………..COME HIT US UP IN………………OHHHHH, I’D SAY ABOUT 4 OR 5 GAMES INTO THE SEASON WHEN WE WILL BE ALMOST OUT OF THE RUNNING IN OUR OWN DIVISION BECAUSE THE PACK WILL ALREADY BE 2 OR 3 GAMES UP ON US! The hard pill that will be hard to take will be the Packers and what they do this year!

39. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

THATS RIGHT! IM A PACKER FAN AND HAVE BEEN ALL ALONG! I CANT BELIEVE NON OF YOU VIQUEEN MORONS HAVE REALIZED THAT ALL THIS TIME! I COULD HAVE KEPT THIS UP FOR YEARS AND NONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE HAD A CLUE!!!

40. By TWVIKE on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Thats nice ,good for you.

41. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand all the concern. Do you people forget that with pretty much this same team the Vikings dominated the eventually Superbowl champs in the NFC Championship game and if not for turnovers would have won handily? Favre’s first interception was Berrian’s fault, and the second one was probably miscommunication and Brett forgetting that Sidney Rice is out and Camarillo won’t make that play, but face it, any team who has a Pro Bowl reciever out for time will have to make adjustments. Yeah the O-line sucked but how many teams looked totally polished in the preseason, that’s what the preseason is for. Hold your horses and if they’re losing games in the season when it counts then start calling for peoples heads

42. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Nice job….Good try S#$% Bag! OldSchool is and always will be a Vikes Fan! Take your packer A@# off our Blog! We will see you in Nov.!

43. By Haywood Jablomie on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Old School- The first game the vikes play green bay is in October, if they see you in November you will have missed the game. If the third preseason game is the dress rehearsal for the regular season, we are in trouble. Two touchdowns late in a preseason game does not bode well. Viking fans should be worried.

44. By fmfan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

We should have been up by atleist 17 points at half if it wasn’t for 2 turnovers (1-int’ 1-lost fumble) both by Favre and a goal line stop (4 runs in a row). I’m not against the 4 runs it’s just we need to stay in a spread offence when we do it.

45. By vikingsfan1955 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I will say it again I believe totally in this team and I want to hear the exuces why we bear the saints when we play them and when we come see u 4 or 5 games into the season u will see what I’m saying about my vikings as we spank u shamelessly

46. By purple08 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Relax, it’s pre-season. Rosenfels made a couple of easy plays and the TD pass would have been picked off if not for a great play by Walker. T- Jack made some nice plays and he had absolutely no protection. TJ is #2 and Webb #3. Trade Sage for a bag of used jockstraps.

47. By rocksalt on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Last year’s team was better. Last year’s schedule was better.

2. Aug 28, 2010: Vikings Top Seahawks 24-13 Behind 4th-Quarter Comeback | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Aug 29, 2010: Percy Harvin Returns To Action « Purple Pants, Green Jersey
  4. Aug 30, 2010: Percy Harvin Returns to Action (Repost) « Purple Pants, Green Jersey