Observations After A Week Removed

Posted by cjsiewert on August 20, 2010 – 4:36 pm

It’s been over a week since I’ve been able to observe Vikings training camp, so today was a great day to catch up on the progression of the Vikings players.

After the events that unfolded this week with QB Brett Favre and WR Percy Harvin, it might be easy to think that there has been too many distractions for Vikings players to take on in such a short period of time, but the truth of the matter is that this team is well prepared for any distractions that may come about.

“I think we are the best-conditioned team on distractions,” Vikings WR Bernard Berrian humorously commented to a group of reporters. “It’s just all about how well you can handle it and I think we showed that we can handle it all well last year, so as long as we continue to do things we’re doing this year we’ll be able to handle it now as well.”

Just as Mike pointed out earlier, it was great to see Harvin at practice today walking around with a big smile on his face and interacting with the rest of his teammates. The 2-year veteran’s presence on the sidelines for the beginning of practice was surely a welcomed sight for players and coaches alike.

“It was good to see him,” LB E.J. Henderson said. “The way he left the field yesterday, anytime you see anybody leave in an ambulance. It’s good to see him back in here walking around with a smile on his face.”

On the field today, a few things that stuck out in my mind were WR Logan Payne’s ability to go up and bring down any pass thrown to him that he could get his hands on and CB Asher Allen’s improvement in the secondary. Just as the case was last week at training camp in Mankato, Payne continued to make great catches with his hands rather than his body while running great routes. Allen showcased his abilities in the secondary today by hauling in 2 INTs, 1 off the pass of QB Tarvaris Jackson and the other thrown by rookie QB Joe Webb.

Payne has shown that he is capable of playing at a high level and has a great opportunity to make the final 53-man roster, which will be determined in early September. On the other side of the ball, Allen will be starting at CB this Sunday at San Francisco and will rotate with Lito Sheppard.

Before I end this piece, there is 1 thing that I would like to encourage Vikings fans to act upon. Please visit www.minnesotamomentum.com to take action in finding a stadium solution for your men in purple.

I visited the Metrodome today for a tour of the facilities in preparation for a game day internship with the Vikings public relations department. The simple and brief tour that the group of 10 interns took this afternoon solidified my thoughts on how badly the Vikings need a new stadium. The Metrodome does not provide fans with the proper game day experience as well as members of the media. Oh, and the players also. The concourses are too narrow for the fans, the press boxes are extremely tight for media members and the lockers rooms barely provide enough space for a 53-man roster, let alone a preseason roster that includes an extra 30 players.

Please talk with your state representatives and visit www.minnesotamomentum.com to help find a stadium solution right here in Minnesota for your home town Vikings.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Observations After A Week Removed”

1. By gordy on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I was going to absolutely rant, but instead, I will try once more. This is my last effort:
    Please fix the quality of the Presser’s. It is terrible. The video is grainy, the audio is maddening. This is a looked forward too thing, the presser’s, and it absolutely sucks. It is no fun to listen to. Now listen, thats why those green bay fans and others call Childress “Klink” and other low blows, because when you cannot hear, or read the questions being asked, the answer, SOUNDS STUPID!! no matter what. I will tune in one more time, if it is not fixed, I may have to not watch it. Except on Nfl network later. I should think you would want the fans to enjoy them on site. I will be flabbergasted if anyone says,” we don’t have the technology to put, or have them hold, a microphone in the press area, so we can hear the question. I will call in to Paul Allen’s show on Tuesday, and see if they will discuss it. I think this is a fair point for me to make. Look at the agreement from other posters.

2. By Lito on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Is it really hard for Vikings Management to get a 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret Favre and/or create holes for AP, AY, TG and company?

3. By gordy on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I just realized that Mike didn’t write this . I am sorry. Now no one will do anything. And no one will read this more than likely, so with that: Go Vikings, I am scared, anxious, confident, apprehensive, and mildly experiencing Saints Carry Over Syndrome. Go Vikings Purple blood everywhere in this house, look! it’s all over .

4. By Malte on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

hey gordy i will write a email to mike with you quote, lets hope they will change it..

5. By ThetruthHurts on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

I think you are experincing the “Know Dat ” from the “Who Dat” Nation. The spirit is strong coming from New Orleans.

6. By ThetruthHurts on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Unless the officials cheat for the vikes, I see the Saints winning another superbowl.

7. By LariatQ on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Compare the film of the New England Patriots Vs The Indianapois Colts last Season, on 4th and 2, in the 4th quarter, with 39 seconds on the clock. Short pass, caught, bobbled, knocked back, tackled; no forward procedure, Colts ball.
    To the Title game, 4th and 2, overtime, short pass, caught, bobbled, knocked back, tackled; allowed forward procedure, First Down Saints.
    Spew that Cajun Stew all you do, we will find out WHO IS THAT.

8. By Carl K on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Gordy – Mike posts his email on the Monday Morning Mailbag… In my opinion Mike does great job responding to fans. Please keep in mind he is a writer not an IT guy!!! This is a free site, we are not paying for premium coverage. Some web sites will charge you to see the coaches press coverage. I agree it would be nice to hear the questions, but it is better than nothing. I can hear and see the coach just fine, if that is all I get for free than I will take it.

9. By Cory on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mike,

The Vikings need to after Vincent Jackson in SD….NOW

Physically he compares very well with Sidney. Considering Rice and Harvin are going to be very limited this season (perhaps longterm…a hip and migraines are very serious issues) Outside of Berrian all we currently have are journeymen…Walker and Jones…seriously?

If we do not make a move to acquire a BIGTIME wideout our season is going to go up in flames.

10. By Elizabeth on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

The Truth Hurts is a great name for you since you inadvertently acknowledge the refs “cheating” for the Saints. I cannot take your statement any other way.

11. By TJ on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Gordy. The Viking’s pressers are so amateur. You cannot hear any of the questions asked so it takes you half of Childress’s response to piece together what he’s talking about. Brett’s gonna make 20-25m this year, but I’d be willing to donate a couple microphones so you can record the press if you can’t afford it.

12. By gary on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree I agree I agree!!!!! the pressers sounds are TERRIBLE1! I ‘ve tried several times e-mailing vikes and always comes back undelrverable. also Chilly acts and talks like he’s half dead. I think a little “fire” and life would trickle down th the players all the vikes need is a “killer” attitude I also agree with Elizabeth

13. By radzinwisconsin on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Javon Walker is the best you can dig up?

2. Aug 20, 2010: Observations After A Week Removed | Vikings Stop Blog