Favre To Play A Series Or Two; Harvin Won’t Travel

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 20, 2010 – 1:06 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress met with reporters following Friday’s practice and said he is looking forward to playing San Francisco on Sunday night, saying the 49ers have a good team that plays tough defense and also saying it’s always a good test to go and play in a hostile environment.

Childress said QB Brett Favre will play a series or 2, depending on how the 1st series plays out, and that Tarvaris Jackson will follow Favre and will play into the 2nd half; veteran Sage Rosenfels will play after Jackson. On the defensive side, Childress said Asher Allen will start at CB with Lito Sheppard rotating in and alternating with Allen.

WR Percy Harvin, who experienced a migraine episode on Thursday, will not travel with the team to San Francisco. A piece of good news, though, is that Harvin was at Winter Park this morning interacting with players and coaches. Although he wasn’t participating in activity, it was a welcome sight to see the 2nd-year receiver back with his teammates.

Childress was asked several questions about Harvin and you’ll be able to watch his press conference in its entirety soon right here on vikings.com.

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Favre To Play A Series Or Two; Harvin Won’t Travel”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m surprised that Brett will play at all this week. The ankle must not be as bad as has been advertised if they’re going to take a chance on it so early.

2. By David Clarke, MD on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I read that Percy Harvin has tried almost everything to find relief. I specialize in medical conditions that seem to be a lost cause, many of which are connected to life stresses that aren’t always so obvious. During the last 25 years I cared for over 7000 people whose diagnostic tests showed no explanation for their illness. My book for patients is titled “They Can’t Find Anything Wrong.” Take a look at my web site stressillness.com. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know (my son and I have been Vikings fans for 20 years).
    David D Clarke, MD
    Clinical Assistant Professor Emeritus
    Oregon Health & Science University
    Portland, OR

3. By popper on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Will be great to see #4 back in purple. An early X-mas present for Minnesota fans.

4. By HuskerVikingFan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m looking forward to seeing Tavaris Jackson get playing time! I’m telling ya, Tavaris Jackson is really gonna surprise his detractors as the year rolls along! By the end of this coming phenomenal season, Tavaris Jackson will be ready to grab the reigns next year and execute like a 10 year veteran – he is surrounded by the best players and coaches in the NFL at this moment in time! Skol Vikes!

5. By Carl K on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I hope Webb gets some playing time in the forth quarter.

6. By HuskerVikingFan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

@Carl K: I second that! Webb looks real interesting to watch at QB! Hope to see a series or two with him under center.

7. By HuskerVikingFan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

@Popper: More like an early Columbus Day present.

8. By Tom Gattis on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I think he needs to be checked for a Patent Foramen Ovale (hole in the heart). He doesn’t need to end up with what happened to Teddy Bruschi…..and me.

My migraines STOPPED after I had the hole plugged.

It’s quick and easy, and he could probably return mid season.

9. By Brody on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I third the statement for Webb to play i was very impressed by his poise in the pocket. He is very athletic and i wouldn’t bet against him as our future qb the sky is the limit for him….two three years from now he will be the steal of the draft! SKOL VIKINGS!

10. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

From one of the reports it sounded like the migrain started after seeing bright white clouds so maybe they could see if a dark visor could help.

11. By Barbara Sullivan on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Percy Harvin should check out a possible wheat allergy. I read in Guideposts about a girl who greatly lessened her migraines by changing her diet.

12. By GJ on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Percy will be ready when the season starts. Why get hurt before then.

13. By secondnature815 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

How long are the Vikings going to stand behind Tavaris Jackson? Sage looked good, Joe Webb looked good and TJ looked average. I just don’t think he has what it takes to be a top notch qb in the NFL. If the Vikings drop Joe Webb it will be a huge MISTAKE! He looks like he has pure raw talent that they should keep. He will be a star one day. You heard it from me. Minnesota are you listening?

14. By csviking on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree with secondnature815. TJ has had more than enough time to step up and has failed.

I see him as another Byron Leftwich.

15. By ed on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Get Webb on the field THIS YEAR as a Reciever!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially with the Harvin/Rice situations. His raw athletic ability could help us get to the Superbowl (remember how Desmond Howard ran up and down the field the year the PACK WON the superbowl????) He can go back to QB next year after #4 hangs it up. Also, it would be insane to just let T-Jack stand around and hold the clipboard all year. Use his athletisism and at least get him in on some situational downs like maybe a Slash type or wildcatt?? This will help also as #4 wont take so many hits!!!!!!!!!! BRETT can’t do it all by himself. Get ALLL of our athletes on the field now!!!!!

16. By kathy on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I’ve had migraines for 30 years. I used to get them 2 or 3 times a week. Last year I started taking a natural supplement called MigreLief. It’s not a medication to treat migraine pain, it’s a preventative supplement you take every day. It has really changed my life. I’m not pushing any kind of drugs here. Just feel so bad for him with those headaches. He should really try this. It can’t hurt. It’s completely natural and has a lot of science and neurologists behind it.

17. By jazz on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tell Percy to take a benadryl and a ibuprofen he’s started to fill that the migrane is start to kick in. This will help.

18. By ddfence7emet on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Have Percy try something called ‘Sea Balance Nine’ by Lifeforce International, as directed, for aboutt two weeks.

I’m not selling it – just recommending it as a healthy choice for migraines.
    I will be praying for a sppedy recovery for Harvin and Rice!

Have a blessed season,
    DDFence Emet

2. Aug 20, 2010: Favre To Play A Series Or Two; Harvin Won’t Travel | Vikings Stop Blog