Who Will Step Up To Round Out WR Depth?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 19, 2010 – 8:20 am

With all of the hoopla surrounding QB Brett Favre and his decision to return for another season in 2010, it’s easy to forget there is actually a training camp and preseason going on at Winter Park. And with training camp and preseason come position battles.

There are several position battles still on-going for the Vikings, and that will continue to be the case for the next couple weeks. Of course the highest-profile position battle will be for the backup QB job, which Tarvaris Jackson is currently leading. But another one that also got a bit more interesting over the last couple of days is WR.

The Vikings have a healthy crop of young receivers battling to round out the position. That group included 3rd-year player Jaymar Johnson, who had a good training camp and then registered 2 receptions for 38 yards against the St. Louis Rams last weekend in the team’s 1st preseason game. But Johnson also suffered an injury in that game and has been waived by the club.

It’s an unfortunate development for Johnson and the Vikings, but it also opens an opportunity for those who were battling with Johnson for a roster spot. One player to keep an eye on in this regard is former University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Logan Payne, who was acquired by the Vikings this past offseason and also had a nice training camp.

Payne showed up in a big way against the Rams, hauling in 7 receptions for 52 yards, including a 2-yard TD from Sage Rosenfels in the 2nd quarter.

“He is a good, smart football player,” Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said of Payne on Monday. “He is a tough guy, did well in special teams (against St. Louis), he ran down and made a couple special team tackles. He is versed in this system, he played multiple positions and he was productive. He has been making the most of all of the reps that he has gotten.”

Payne isn’t the only WR who has a chance to step up. The Vikings have a host of others in the fold, including Marko Mitchell (72-yard TD reception against the Rams) and Ray Small (3 receptions for 31 yards against the Rams). Another factor to keep in mind in handicapping this position battle is the return game. While Payne can increase his stock by covering kicks, a guy like Small can increase his chances by standing out as a kickoff or punt returner. Johnson had 2 punt returns and 1 kickoff return against the Rams, so someone else on the WR depth chart might be able to assume those responsibilities.

With all of that said, the Vikings could also look to add another young receiver or veteran receiver to the mix as well. There are several more chapters left to unfold before the Vikings make any decisions on this position battle, and the next one will happen on Sunday night when the Purple takes the field against the San Francisco 49ers.

Let us know in the comments section below which of the Vikings receivers you’d like to see step up and earn a roster spot.

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Who Will Step Up To Round Out WR Depth?”

1. By Cor-XLVikings ! on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Payne showed himself well, I will be in SFO watching Sunday to see who Brett will throw the ball to. He makes anyone who plays better ! Who was Greg Lewis before that throw ?

2. By Carl K on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Johnson’s injury must be pretty bad for him to be waived by the vikings? I would like to see Joe Webb or Reynaud moved back to WR if they are in danger of being cut at their current positions. I think they both looked good in the first preseason game.

3. By Chris on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

On a side note,

Jim Sorgi is currently injured for 3-4 weeks. It sounds like the Vikings could have a potential trade partner for the services of a backup player!

4. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

It’s disapointing that Johnson had to be cut. He had a lot of promise at the position. Another player that I’ve had hopes for is Reynaud, and with the tough battle he is in now at RB it may be a better choice to send him back to WR and compete for one of the last spots there. He has some good moves and with that he has plenty of potential to be a punt returner and a slot receiver, juking for extra yards after the catch.

5. By Nam Huynh on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Reynauds position flexibility allows the Vikings to keep only 4 or 5 receivers.

Same can be said with Webb. If absolutely necessary, we can put him out there as well.

6. By JC on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Payne will be the next Wes Welker!!!

7. By Howie on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Payne could cause a lot of Pain.!!!
    He’s my choice.!!

8. By John on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I think Percy should step up but he needs to be healthy to do that obviously. PLEASE TELL WHOEVER IS CLOSE TO THE SITUATION TO CHECK OUT NUCCA THERAPY. “””Dr. Kerry Johnson Apple Valley MN.”””” I guarantee it could help percy’s migraines and possibly even eliminate them altogether! PLEASE CHECK IT OUT, i cant stand seeing him miss games when there’s a way to treat it! Most hospitals wont recommend it because it isnt popular enough but I GUARANTEE its what he needs!

9. By sean on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

isnt percy if healthy going to be taking the kick off returns anyway

10. By Jeanette Montgomery on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Florida fan and love Percy Harvin. Please tell Percy that I had migrane headaches just like until I tried acupuncture. The acupuncturist really relieved my pain and I regained my life. I was a teachet at the time and struggled daily with severe headaches. A co-worker suggested acupuncture but I was very resistant. One day I had such an awful headache until I could only lie down and moan. It was only then I was willing to give it a try. I received 6 sessions of acupuncture and it has been three years since I’ve had a migraine. I hope this information will help him feel better and get back on the football field.

11. By Ed -Southern Miss Grad on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Please Get Webb on the field as a receiver!!!!!!!!!!! Especially with a gimpy Rice and a distresswed Harvin. He would be a Tall target that Brett would covett!! Dont waste his talent.

12. By Cory on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

GO GET V Jackson from SD. Very similar to Rice physically and could be used in a similar fashion…Rice and Harvin are going to be in and out of the line-up all season. Without them all we have is Berrian. Our passing game will really struggle if we do not make a move to acquire a BIGTIME talent!!!!

13. By JUNE EVORA on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

ALTHOUGH I CAN EMPATHIZE WITH THE WOES OF BOTH, HARVIN AND RICE THE VIKINGS STAR WIDE RECIEVERS OF THE PAST TFEW YEARS AND EXPECIALLY THE 2009 SEASON, BEFORE THE VIKINGS COME TO A DEFINITIVE RESOLUTION FOR THE 2010 SEASON, IF ANY OF THE REMAINING WR ON THE CURRENT ROSTER ARE UNABLE TO FURTHER THEIR GROWTH WITH THE TEAM, PERHAPS THE VIKINGS SHOULD LOOK AT SOME OF THE CURRENT PLAYERS WITHIN THE SEMI PRO LEAGUE. SAY, THE NEFL. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED IN THE TALENT OUT HERE IN THE NORTHEAST! JUST A SUGGESTION. ARTERALL, WHAT DO I KNOW?

14. By Avengeant on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

For the upcomming season, It would be so sweet to punish the Saints for
    a rewarding victory in week 1!! In Favre We Trust!!

2. Aug 19, 2010: Who Will Step Up To Round Out WR Depth? | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Aug 19, 2010: Trouble Brewing In Minnesota? « Purple Pants, Green Jersey
  4. Aug 19, 2010: Payne Making a Good Impression on Childress | Minnesota Sports Zone
  5. Aug 19, 2010: With Depth a Concern, Vikings Interested in WR Brandon Jones? | Minnesota Sports Zone