So…Now What?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 18, 2010 – 6:48 am

QB Brett Favre has re-joined his teammates at Winter Park in Eden Prairie, but there are still a few hoops to jump through before the future Hall of Famer is officially back in the fold and ready to go. So what’s next? Let’s take a quick look at how things should unfold on Wednesday…

The remaining hoops to jump through likely include contract details, roster maintenance and a physical. Once those issues are addressed and if there are no unexpected developments, Favre could potentially participate in his 1st practice of the 2010 season. The Vikings are scheduled to practice for 2 hours late Wednesday morning and it wouldn’t be shocking to see #4 out with his teammates.

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress will meet with reporters following practice; that press conference will be streamed live on vikings.com. If Favre is able to participate in practice on Wednesday, he might also meet with reporters. The Vikings issued a press release late Tuesday notifying the media of Childress’ availability following practice and also stating that Favre’s availability was TBD. It’ll be interesting to hear what Childress – and potentially Favre – have to say about Tuesday’s developments, from the idea of sending 3 veteran players down to Mississippi to what finally factored into the QB’s decision to decide.

After all of that, it’ll be business as usual for Favre and the Vikings as the team will continue preparations for Sunday night’s preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers. Another burning question today will be about Favre’s status for Sunday night. Will he play? We’ll hear officially from Childress later today, but my guess is that he’ll suit up and play a series before giving way to Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels and potentially Joe Webb.

47 Responses to “So…Now What?”

1. By MGR4FUN on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

mike i think ya need to be wearin your hat when out in the sun … i am not certain #4 plays at all on sunday night … but will get maybe the first quarter or so for the home game against seattle … two more weeks rehab on that ankle could mean alot in december and january … i would like to see t-jack get some extended action on sunday … no reason to rush #28 either … big night for toby goin back to the city by the bay … is a good dogfight for the depth chart at runnin back … question mike do you happen to know the average age of the viking squad now that grampa has joined the squad and tilted the scale some???

2. By NYViking on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Please, please Brett!!! One more for the Big One.

3. By Jake on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Where does Teddy get off saying the vikings sent players to beg Favre to come back? I thought it showed a touch of class and a sense of commraderie. I sure hope his commentating career is as short and uneventfull as his retirement ceremony!

4. By AfghanViking on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Bret, do it for us guys sitting in Afghanistan that can’t be there watching…. plus my team here are all Packers fans… gross!

5. By Tom Carvalho on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I didn;t know a club could be so pathetic. It’s quite comical!

6. By The kid from okanapa on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Het Tom,

I think you are the comic,so shut up.

7. By evalu8er on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I think it was brilliant to send down three of Brett’s comrades. He was [probably in Mississippi worrying if he could be as good as last year, they showed up and made it real for him.

I applaud the Vikings for their management of this very legendary talent. Send three superstars to get the legend. brilliant.

8. By secondnature815 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

As I read the lost episodes of Nostradamus I saw a quatrain that depicted Favre’s return…….. Through the air arrives a silver fox and there became a great disturbance in the force. An invasion into the land of cheese. Wherever he roams there is terror and fear for all throughout the land. He will lead a band of pillagers disguised in a purple haze into city after city and together they will conquer the great bowl.

9. By meswant on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

They sent 3 guys to say “hey buddy, we need to win, so come back or we kidnap ya, your choice”. Hehehe, glad he is back!!

10. By bass8 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I just saw on tv (which is why I am not putting too much weight to the comment) that T. Jackson is upset that Brett came back. I hope that is not true for numerous reasons and to mention a few….you are learning from the best. Even though the Packers would never admit it, Aaron R. learned a lot from Brett. Also you are getting paid to learn from the best. SO IF IT IS TRUE. COME ON TRAV.. BE A MAN…BE SUPPORTIVE .. AND DON’T BE A CRYBABY..IT IS UNBECOMING….BELIEVE ME I SAW ENOUGH OF THAT IN G.B.

11. By bass8 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

And Tom Carvelo, if you want to see a pathetic team come and live in Wisconsin where they bash Brett every chance they can get. They keep saying they have moved on when it is obvious they have not….The fact that they can’t stop talking about him proves they miss him….

12. By lisa on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Well said bass8, Tom Carvelo either accidently got on the wrong fan page or is one of the sorry Packer fans who can’t seem to part with Brett Favre. He’s obviously on here to read about Brett.

13. By RESQR on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

PUH-LEEZ

Although I have been a Vikings fan for many years, and I would dearly love to see them win a (much-deserved) Super Bowl, I DO NOT want to see Brett back in a Vikings uniform. Last year he really had something to prove and was motivated to perform above expectations, and the rest of the team rallied around him as a result.
    This year is different.
    It seems that his only motivations this year are money and ego.
    I do not believe that he can have two career years in a row, and once the rest of the team realizes this, they will not be as motivated to go that extra yard. Either an injury or another “gunslinger” move, both as a result of frustration/desperation, will end Brett’s season unceremoniously this year, if he does come back. Also, the Vikings have no quality QB to back him up.
    And if anyone thinks that Green Bay will allow themselves to be swept again this season, they better give their collective heads a good shake. The Packers will be coming at Brett with everything they have.
    With or without him, the Vikings will not match last season’s performance. Chasing after Brett and gambling with their future (remember Hershel Walker) instead of building around a solid core of younger players for the future is a huge mistake that will take years to recover from. Why not draft/trade for a young and talented QB and let him develop? How did Green Bay get Aaron Rogers, who ultimately usurped Brett and sent him “packing” from Green Bay? With GOOD foresight, planning and patience. Qualities that the Vikings organization seem to lack, year after year.
    Sorry, but no Super Bowl this year, and not for a long time, if the Vikings head office keeps up with these shenanigans.

14. By optimisticskeptic on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I was annoyed at that teary-teddy comment. My assumption was that Brett requested those 3 guys accompany him, or that everyone knew he was coming back today and the 3 guys who were most excited begged Chilly to be on the plane. You really think they went down to beg him and it worked? Please. Like a mullet-less Jared Allen would hold more weight than his wife and family. Maybe Jared said he cut the mullet for Favre, or promised him he’d grow it back? Now that might actually hold some weight, more so than Teddy’s take.

15. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

“…if you want to see a pathetic team come and live in Wisconsin where they bash Brett every chance they can get. They keep saying they have moved on when it is obvious they have not….The fact that they can’t stop talking about him proves they miss him….”

What is even MORE PATHETIC are the 90% of you Vikings fans who HATED Brett with a passion when he was w/ the Pack. Now you’re all ga-ga over him and would probably bear his children if given the chance. This, even after the fact that he choked when it counted most just like every other Queen before him…good riddens.

p.s. – I hope he remember to tell the media (and Dianna) why he sent texts of his weener to Jenn Sterger…lol

16. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

@ RESQR

well put my man…probably the best and most realistic take on the situation. Way to rise above the other goons w/ the B.F. goggles on…

17. By optimisticskeptic on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

BTW, Teddy, I like how the Saints figured out the formula to stopping Favre. Yeah, they were awesome at holding him to 310 yards and I believe 0 sacks. And, w/o some AP fumbles, probably another touchdown or 2. Yeah, they totally shut him down, Teary-Teddy, his 20 year career is finally exposed. I have to say, I hope he loses his job as a commentator, that was about the most unprofessional, non-fact-based speculation, ignorant and incoherent 3 minutes of nonsense I’ve seen all year.

18. By evalu8er on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

RESQR-give it a rest. Favre has never played for the money or ego. He has always played because it was fun and to win. That’s how these players hooked him, come back for the fun and we can win too. I agree optimisticskeptic, I believe the Saints never sacked Favre once, although they did hit him hard 16 times, mostly after the whistle was blown. Also not once when he had the ball in his hands. Amazing how other defenses can slow down or veer to the side when headed to the QB and he lets go of the ball. The Saints just don’t seem to have any self control. I hear if that happens more than once there is going to be a massive storm on the field.

19. By Stoney on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

RESQR- I guess u know more than all the football people the vikes employ. They could have hired u and saved alot of money. The Walker trade sent many young players/draft picks to dallas, so that point is moot. The vikes still could have drafted/traded for a talented QB, that is not Favres’ fault. This team is built to win now, and Favre gives us the best chance.

20. By Stoney on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

OPTIMISTIC, great point, he made himself look foolish

21. By Brad on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I hope you are right evalu8er because in my opinion they would deserve every bit of it if they do those cheap shots all over again. I hope the vikings D-line will do the same thing to Brees if they try to do it with Favre and then make Brees retire early or at the most make him not be able to play the rest of the season. Brees does have that Madden Curse on him now.

22. By rocksalt on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

To all of the fools thinking that the formula for stopping the Vikes offense is to blitz and hit Favre early, LATE and often……
    Get real!!!! The only reason the Saints formula seemed to be effective is because of the CHEAP SHOT LATE HITS on Favre that, if the situation were reversed and baby Brees was pummeled with late hits by Vikes Defense, would have surely been penalized.

23. By peskybandit on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I realize the talk is all about
    #4 but I would like to see more talk about Webb. I must say that I was impressed sat. against the Rams (ya I know it was just the Rams third string ) but. Can you imagine what HE can learn from BF. He’s big, strong and fast. Has a rookie ever won the SB?

24. By brutalturtle on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

hey did anyone notice teary teddys john F kennedy hairdo

25. By bass8 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Oh Bob you poor unhappy man..And of course one of the many who believe anything they read about Brett. I am a Brett fan and have been for years. I actually was a Packer fan until they told Brett to hit the road. And I guarantee that even though I am a FAVRE FAVE 4EVER, I have no wish to carry his children but. I am noticing that tinge of Packer pain that you carry…HOW SAD IT MUST’VE BEEN FOR YOU TO LOSE TO SOMEONE YOU ARE TRYING SO HARD TO FORGET (SUPPOSEDLY) NOT ONLY IN MINNESOTA BUT ALSO GREEN BAY…WAH WAH WAH GO THE PACKER FANS…..HE SHOULD RETIRE WAH WAH WAH

26. By bass8 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

AND THE PROBLEM WITH TEDDY B. IS THAT NO ONE CARED ENOUGH ABOUT HIM TO ASK HIM TO COME BACK…

27. By brutalturtle on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

after sept 9th there might be some players walking around with lighter wallets i think it’s gonna get nasty and in order for chilly to get his repect back he should very little an eye for an eye you cheapshot our QB we cheapshot yours send the message early especially to the SB champs you’re in our way this is what you’re gonna get AND if we see you in the tournament you’re gonna get more

28. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Every year, same old blather, same old result. Bunch of wind-bags. Favre this, Super Bowl that…why doesn’t anyone learn their lesson and just let the games do the talking? Not to mention you point the finger of blame everyewhere but at those who dropped the ball. Face it, your own team did you in. Good luck w/ grandpa out there this year. Hope your line holds up otherwise it’ll be a bloodbath this season…haha.

29. By bass8 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I will pray for you Bob…I think you need it…

30. By RESQR on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

My point is simple. If you put all of your eggs in one basket, aka Brett and Walker, you run the risk of being burned severely if your expensive gamble doesn’t pan out. Now I’m not saying that I should be in head office, because if I was that good I’d obviously be there already. What I am saying, though, is that I don’t believe that Brett is the answer this season. Win or lose, he’s very likely done after this season and so will the Viking’s chances of having any further success in the future. It doesn’t take a football expert to understand that the QB is arguably the most important part of the offense. If that wasn’t the case, then this continuing discussion would be moot. Make a mistake here and a team would be very hard pressed to be competitive, let alone make it to the Super Bowl.
    Trust me on this. If I am wrong, I’ll be the first to step up to the plate and eat crow. I DO want them to win. I just don’t think that Brett is the guy that will take them there.

31. By Wis viking fan on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

wow bob, you know as well as I do every news paper and radio station in WI still hangs on any word about Favre. Talk about a weak line…. Rodgers was the most sacked and rushed QB last year and people around here in GB really like to ignore that fact. Are they working on it?? Sure, just like MN is working on it also. Both teams are good and real exciting to watch. In my two years of living here I was real surprised to learn that when someone says “Minnesota” here most people say “ick”. All my years living in Minnesota I never would hear grown ups teach their kids that mentality. Really sad..

32. By mike cinkan on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

now that we got the best QB ever back the other teams might as well jus clear the way for the super bowl cuz the vikings already won it ha ha ha ha ha all u favre haters are just mad cuz were the best team ever

33. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

@ bass8

What’s even worse than a true Viking fan turned Brett lover is a person who claims that they were ever a Packer fan when they trash their team loyalty in favor of one player. What a traitor you are.

34. By Lito on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Now how about getting a 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret Favre and/or ncreate holes for AP, AY, TG and company?

35. By BOB on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

@ Wis viking fan

“All my years living in Minnesota I never would hear grown ups teach their kids that mentality. Really sad..”

Yeah, and they teach them to love and respect one another, especially those from WI or who root for the Packers. What a crock of horses%&t!! Let’s be honest here…we both know that they teach the animosity and hatred on both sides of the border. Anyone who denies this simple fact of life is in denial.

36. By BOB on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

@ Wis viking fan

p.s. – I grew up in GB and moved to Minneapolis many moons ago. Couldn’t believe how much hatred folks here had for the Packers or people from WI. Gee, ummmm, they had to learn it somewhere! Any time I’d mention where I was from or who I rooted for, they jump down your throat here in MN. So don’t play the “holier than thou” card. Plain old BS..just look around these blogs, for that matter. Come up w/ another one buddy.

37. By BOB on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

p.p.s. – I think all the hatred brewing here in MN stems from more of an inferiority complex, seeing as how the Pack and their fans are much more decorated a franchise than the Vikings and theirs EVER will be. hahaha EAT IT

38. By TWVIKE on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

BOB ON THIS! Your wife does!

39. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Real mature TWVIKE, real mature. You just can’t handle the truth when it’s staring you dead in the face. Your team sucks, your quarteback will be in a wheelchair by season’s end, and then they’ll move to L.A., leaving you and the rest of your cronies to sulk in “what could have been” forever.

p.s., you couldn’t even get it up for my wife to find….

40. By Bob on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

p.p.s. I lick d^ck on a daily basis and masturbate to pictures of MM, TT and Aaron Rodgers with his shirt off. Even I know the Vikings are the best team there is, but I’m in here giving you $#^! about it cause I know that it’s going to make them suck.

41. By TWVIKE on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Bobby- your team sucks worster than mine. your wife sucks better than mine. Brett in a wheelchair plays better than yours. Your team smells like poo-poo. Doesnt Gay Bay have a blog?

42. By Brad on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Now it is just two words
    SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. By AZ-Viking on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

RESQR. your vikings card has been pulled. where is your loyalty.

44. By Kathy on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I think Teddy’s rant was absolutely unprofessional.(ESPN, fire Teddy!!) Who in their right mind encourages teams to hit the quarterback when he has the ball, when he doesn’t have the ball, hit him high, hit him low? I hope the officials make an early statement by throwing the flags to put a stop to that mentality. I know where I would like them to put the flags…bend over Teddy!! Didn’t he play with the pansy that they named the “Brady Rule” after?? I hope teams take Teddy’s advice & do the same to Brady & then see what Teddy has to say. I can’t wait to see the Vikings go all the way this year & I’m thrilled that Brett is back. Now that we know this is his last year we need to enjoy every minute of it. Go VIKES.

45. By RESQR on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

@AZ-Viking

Well I’ve been a loyal Vikings fan for about 42 years, and I’ve seen most all of the ups and the downs of the team…….and I’ve remained a loyal supporter through all of it. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t critcize the team now and then; I think that I’ve earned that right.
    Have you?

46. By Brian on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

can anybody buy Brett some lil mermaid underwear please

2. Aug 18, 2010: So…Now What? | Vikings Stop Blog