Monday Morning Practice Notes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 16, 2010 – 12:57 pm

The Vikings practiced for about an hour and 20 minutes late Monday morning on the outdoor practice fields at Winter Park as they recuperate from Saturday night’s game and get ready for Sunday night’s contest at San Francisco. Temperatures were moderate and the breeze was brisk, providing a nice change from the conditions that came with training camp in Mankato.

The big news of the day was that WR Percy Harvin was back with the team after an extended absence due to the death of his Grandmother and another battle with migraines. Harvin looked fit while practicing and was targeted by QB Tarvaris Jackson several times. Harvin did not meet with reporters following practice but will likely do so later this week.

Sidney Rice, who hasn’t practiced with the team during training camp because a hip injury has him on the PUP list, worked with trainers and strength staff on the side. In speaking with reporters following practice, Rice said he’s had a setback or two in his recovery but that he continues to improve and feels comfortable running in a straight line. He declined to put a percentage on his health at this point.

Another guy on the PUP list – CB Cedric Griffin (knee) – was also working out on the side, as he’s been doing all of training camp. Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress described Griffin’s progress recently as rapid and said it’s almost to the point where they’d like to remove him from the PUP list so he can participate in individual drills during practice, something he’s prohibited from doing under the rules of the PUP list. Childress also said Griffin is “chomping at the bit” to get back, something that became apparent near the commencement of training camp when Griffin disclosed he was hopefully he’d be able to participate in camp rather than go on the PUP list.

It was good to see so many of the players putting in extra time after practice, working on various areas of the game. Harvin and Greg Lewis were running routes with Jackson throwing to them, TEs Jeff Dugan and Garrett Mills were hitting a blocking sled, various players were fielding kicks, Marko Mitchell was working with WRs coach George Stewart and TEs Visanthe Shiancoe and Mickey Shuler were doing drill work with TEs coach Jimmie Johnson.

The team will have lunch and meetings the rest of the afternoon and will return to the practice fields late Tuesday morning.

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Monday Morning Practice Notes”

1. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Hope they find a way to contain his migraines I know how painful they can be.

2. By Dthayer on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Sidney Rices set backs appear to be of a concern, we need all our starters healthy to give us a legitimate chance in the season. We have a TOUGH schedule. Need the best of the best ready to go.

Why wouldn’t Rice comment on the % of his health? Like there is anything to hide?

3. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

The fact that he wouldn’t comment leads me to think that Rice’s injury is bad enough that it will take plenty of time to heal up yet. This makes me certain that we are going to be opening an extra spot on the roster for a 6th WR to fill in for injuries. I’d say that Logan Payne is the leader for that position right now, but I’d also be happy to see Reynaud moved back to WR and keep his talent on the team.

4. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Is it me or does this season already have a bad, funky vibe to it?! Like there is something not quite right about it! I think the S$%^ will really hit the fan when Brett calls it a career…and he will! I think at that point that the rest of the team, because I believe that the team honestly had no doubt in their minds that he would return, will go through a huge let down…and if his back up “T-Jack” does not show up the first couple of games..mainly the Saints game, and they get blown out the building…….season will go down the tubes!

5. By Carl K on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

With the questions surrounding Sidney’s hip injury, I too would like to see Reynaud move back to WR and keep his talent. The lack of that move (and the ??? of his injury status), leads me to think that Rice’s injury just might be contract related. Is it just me or does Chilly have a lackadaisical attitude with his team leaders this year.

6. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Oh, the Sidney Rice thing, “Injury” that’s real bad news! You are telling me that he has had this injury since the playoffs……and it’s not any better?! Still can’t make cuts on it “Hip”….BAD NEWS! A man of his age…young 20’s……if it hasn’t healed by now……..probably needs surgery, like I heard 2 out of the 3 doctors told him in the off season…but they went (Sidney & Vikes) with the 1 doctor that said he didn’t………….that’s worked out!

7. By Skol_Vikings on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

You know, injuries are a part of the preseason and camp. It just happens to be well known players this year. Aside from Rice, i know that will hurt a bit, its not the end of the world. Don’t forget about our old friend Bernard Berrian, who will probably see more touches if Rice is hurting a bit, like how Rice saw more touches because BB was hurt last year. Oh well, Berrian can handle the load just fine. So I’ll just draft Bb in the late rounds of my fantasy draft.

8. By Carl K on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t see the game… but Albert Young’s stats were bad. Did he not look good or was our OL bad? Was Gerhart better?

9. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Guess if farve does quit we are looking to bring in jeff garcia.

10. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Of course Chilly denied that Jeff Garcia rumor!

11. By greggip on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I am curious whether the medical team for the Vikings includes a chiropractor. Many NFL teams include this type of physician for various musculo-skeletal concerns. Percy Harvin suffers from migraines and treatment from a chiropractor has greatly reduced my migraine problem, in both number of attacks and severity. I hope someone could evaluate him and help him. We need his proven skills for every game this season.

12. By HuskerVikingFan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

@Oldschool: I don’t know where you’re getting your bad vibes. I see things opposite of you. It sounds to me like the whole team senses that they have unfininished business to complete this year. Look , alone, at how the rookies and acquistions played in the first pre-season game. I know that at this time of year, in any year, the rookies and acquistions are playing for keeps but, I don’t recall any past preseason where the majority of rookies were playing AND performing like the Vikings rookies last Saturday night! Even they picked up the vibe from the veterans – they all have unfinished business this season. And not just from last year. This is the club’s 50th anniversary. They have inherited the history, the lore, and the unfinished business of the previous great Vikings. The 2010 Vikings team feels it down to the marrow of their bones. This Vikings team knows it. This Vikings team is ready for it. This Viking team is going to get it done. Get it done. Find your “Viking Faith”, man. The rest of us are here for you. Rest assured – THIS Minnesota Viking team is going to finish it this year.

13. By lisa on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

it sounds like we have alot of nervous Viking fans here. I too am a little nervous about the injurys, but skol_vikings is right. I think this year is going to be Benards year. They say he has been looking really good this year and if you remember, he had his best games at the end of the year last year. Also, our backups are getting alot of playing time which will help us down the line.. Hopefully Sundays game will give us something to be excited about!!

14. By HuskerVikingFan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

@Oldschool: As much as I want Brett Favre to come back for one more season, NOTHING is lost if T-Jack and Sage take over the number 1 and 2 spot, however that works out. I don’t think there is any doubt that Jackson has the physical talent and ability. I just think his shortcoming has been settling down in the position and finding his own “coolness” – finding what it takes to turn his blood into ice water at game time. He is surrounded by the best coaches and players in the NFL right now. He has the benefit of Sage Rosenfels experience and he has had the benefit of being Brett Favre’s protege last season. I look for great things to come from Tavaris Jackson this season. He is going to surprise us this year with his breakout performance.

15. By Bobo on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

There’s nothing to do if favre decides not to come back tj or sage is the only option us fans have no choice but to root for them.

16. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

First, Ladies and gentlemen, if anyone has read anything that I have written in the last few months, even shortly after the season was over, I have been suggesting that T-Jack may be a better fit for this team than Brett at this point! I believe that T-Jack gives us an option or two when running our offense because of the athletic ability that he has (Speed and agility). I look at some of the sacks that Brett took towards the end of last season that T-Jack would have been able to escape and may be turn into positive yards. I have been a huge supporter of T-Jack over Brett at this time. My problem is that the injuries and disappearances of some of our key offensive personnel worry me. Make no mistake, without Sidney and Percy, this offense is downgraded considerably! I don’t care who the QB is! Don’t full your selves. Bernard B. is a solid receiver, but he is every bit a third receiver on most teams, not just this one!

17. By rocksalt on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I agree with olsschool, but will add that there is no way that either TJack or Sage would have got us as far into the playoffs last year. TJack is unproven in his abilities to read defenses under pressure. Sage did not prove himself last year in camp. Both are probably no.2 QBs in this league. Neither appear to be pro bowl caliber.

18. By Real612 on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I agree both TJack and Sage are both #2 QB’s. TJack has the ego but not the skill of a #1 QB. And Sage has been a #2 QB for how many seasons now? I just wish the Vikings had the forethought to think about life without Favre and draft a young and good QB, it wasn’t like the draft was missing any. I love the Vikings, but without a QB this season the vikings are looking at a 8-8 season.

19. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Real612 – even if we had decided to draft one of the options available at QB this year, they would not have been ready to start until at least next year. Just look at the Rams, they drafted Ssam Bradford with the #1 pick in the draft, gave him a HUGE signing bonus and they STILL plan on making him a bench warmer for his 1st year. I agree that we need a solution for the future, but the best option we have for now if Favre doesn’t come back is Jackson.

20. By b-rad on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Farve is coming back – he has to compete till his body falls apart. He knows what awaits him next; there is no glory behind a sports desk. Plus the man is a warrior, no honorable warrior can walk away from unfinished business like last year; I’ sure he is inspired more than ever to play and prove everyone wrong again. Plus there is money – who would say no to millions… the feeling Imm getting after watching our defense especially isthat these guys are foaming at the mouth and ready to rip some ones head off.

21. By optimisticskeptic on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m hoping thje Rice “injury” is just contract (I’ve heard this rumor, too). I find it very interesting that all our offensive receiving “stars” have gone missing at some point this off-season (Shiancoe, Rice, Harvin, Peterson). Maybe we should check some flight itineraries for MSP to BFF (Brett Favre’s Farm), LOL. But you know what I find more interesting: fans ignoring TJ’s 2008 stats (low interception, medium-high rating), not comparing those numbers to any other 2nd year starting QB, and instantly saying he does not have the tools. There have only been 5 or 10 QBs in history as good as Favre, so yes I’d love him to come back AND I doubt TJ’s 2010 can match BF’s 2009, but how can you write TJ and the season off? I guess I’m just wired differently, but this just seems insane.

22. By augiedog on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I think this season comes down to the offensive line. It has now had the opportunity to mature together after being jockeyed around a bit. That’s going to make a huge difference in the running game, and make up for the missing Rice on the offense. We’ll miss our third down and short man, but fresh blood in the backfield will explode with a line that is finally in sync. Nothing makes for a better passing game than a great running game. SKOL!

23. By optimisticskeptic on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I agree, b-rad. You would have to draft a QB with every pick for 3 years to “guarantee” you end up with a perennial pro-bowl, franchise QB. Instead we have crazy amazing depth in defense as apparent Saturday, a stacked/young offense w/AP, Rice, Harvin, etc… Speilmann and company have us positioned for a decade of success! Vikings fans, stop saying this is our year. Start acknowledging that this is our DECADE!

24. By Stoney on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

OLDSCHOOL, yes indeed, a hack like Jack is a better fit than a hall of fame QB that had one of his best seasons last year. Did you watch Jack in 07/08 when you had to say the Rosary to see him complete a downfield pass? He may escape a pass rush, but we have to throw the ball downfield. If Favre retires look for 8-8 no post season. Why do you think Jack will magically become a good QB by not playing last year? I need some of what you and HUSKER r puffin’.

25. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Stoney – It sounds like whatever lines you’re sniffing are as strong as it gets.

There is no position in the game that hinges on the player’s knowledge and leadership moreso than QB. While both knowledge and leadership can be learned through experience in a gametime situation, I would argue that coaching and mentoring play a much larger role. So it is only logical to conclude that TJack had every chance to improve substantially when he had a mentor who is arguably one of the most intelligent and charismatic leaders in the NFL. (And don’t forget that just because he didn’t play in any crucial game-time situations doesn’t mean that he didn’t get plenty of good experience in practice against one of the league’s top defenses all year long.)

26. By rocksalt on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Well, with Favre back, I am ok with Tjack as his back-up. Only other concerns:
    Harvin:will he be able to play in every game?
    Rice: Who knows about his hip…….
    Adrian: his fumbling has cost us in key situations
    Hopefully these things will be worked out so we can FINALLY WIN A SUPERBOWL!

27. By Mike on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if the doctors ever checked to see if Harvin has a food allergy. I just found out that I was allergic to wheat and have been for years. It caused a lot of bad stuff in my body. The doctors never checked to see if I had an allergy. One of the leading causes of migranes are a food allergy.

2. Aug 16, 2010: Monday Morning Practice Notes | Vikings Stop Blog