AM Practice Moved Indoors; WR Brown Signed

Posted by cjsiewert on August 10, 2010 – 12:19 pm

The Vikings made it outside for about 10 minutes Tuesday morning but after heavy rain and a strike of lightening, head coach Brad Childress moved his squad into the climate controlled Myers Field House across the street from the practice fields.

Due to the condensed practice area inside, Childress made the move to hold special teams practice this morning, which was slated for the afternoon, and switched the regular team practice to take place at 2:45 p.m.

There really wasn’t much to take from this practice since the players couldn’t go full speed, avoiding any injuries, but what was impressive to see during the morning session was the outcome of loyal fans of the Purple. These fans were ready to watch their team practice, rain or shine, and proceeded to pack into the limited seating within the tight confines of the field house.

As the Purple Nation shows its true colors, kudos to all who have supported their favorite team throughout 2010 Verizon Vikings Training Camp.

Moving from outside to inside wasn’t the only move the Vikings made this morning, as free agent WR Freddie Brown was signed by the Purple in lieu of waiving rookie S Terrell Skinner. Childress addressed the media after this morning’s practice and mentioned that Brown provides a new look.

“He’s fresh,” Childress said. “With eight receivers in here we are running the legs off of some of these guys. We needed somebody we could get in here. We worked him out this morning and we had tracked him before. He was on our short list. We had two guys in this morning and we signed him.”

Brown was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 7th round (252nd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. The former Utah Ute jumped into the national spotlight during the 2009 Sugar Bowl where he compiled 12 catches for 125 yards in the Utes’ 31-17 upset of the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Here is the NFL.com analysis of the newly acquired WR:

Positives: “Tall with a strong upper body build and long arms. Has the size to beat the jam. Uses his frame to shield defenders on slants and crossing routes. Fights for the ball in the air and for extra yardage after initial contact, especially against smaller corners. Equally effective when lining up on the slot or outside. Separates from defenders on jump balls using his height and length. Works to get open if his quarterback scrambles. Able to make a quick move after the catch to free himself from a cornerback.”

Negatives: “Very inconsistent hands; will pluck one ball away from his frame and then body-catch or drop the next. Below-average straight-line speed; fails to break away from corners or safeties down the sideline. Loses balance when trying to make a move in the open field. Product of a spread system. Generally a tough receiver, but will hear footsteps over the middle.”

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “AM Practice Moved Indoors; WR Brown Signed”

1. By Caleb on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

I have dealt with migraines for 20 years. I take indurol every day to help prevent them. I went from at least one migraine a week to one a year. I am sure Percy has received many opinions on this. I wasjust hoping you could pass this along to anyone that might help him. It’s not a pleasant way to go through life.

2. By Lito on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Now, how about a 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret Favre or create holes for AP and TG?

3. By Carl K on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Looks like I was wrong about S Terrell Skinner… I thought he had a real good shot at making our practice squad. I guess S Eric Frampton and S Colt Anderson must be looking good in camp?

4. By optimisticskeptic on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Mike,
    Great post, love the NFL.com addition. Also, thanks for the footage of Gerhart…looks like he’s showing some of that hard-to-tackle toughness even against a phenominal pro d-line…forget a 1-2 punch, it will be more like a 1-1 punch if we’re rotating two big, aggresive backs!

5. By Mike Hunt on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Lito….. BIG doesn’t necessarily mean GOOD. lots of centers are undersized. plus, Sullivan was ok last year… he really only struggled against elite 3-4 NT’s. don’t freak out, dude. you should be more worried about the #2 CB spot until Ced gets back. either Cook (rookie) or Sheppard (sucks)….. going to be really tough for them until Griffin returns.

6. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Brown isn’t at a high enough level to make this team. It’s good though to have someone extra to fill the holes until Percy and Sidney return to the field.

7. By cjsiewert on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

optimisticskeptic – Hey man, give me SOME credit. I know Mike does a great job but he doesn’t tell me what to write through telekinesis. lol

8. By UteFan on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see Freddie Brown get a shot. He isn’t that fast, but he is big & strong and has a ton of heart and desire. I watched him throughout his college career and believe he would be an asset to any team. I wish him well.

9. By FBFan on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree with UteFan. I would love to see Freddie get a shot. I got to know him while he was in Cincy. He has a heart of gold and a love for God that is amazing. I believe, given the chance, he will go far and I also wish him well!

2. Aug 10, 2010: Vikings Sign Freddie Brown « Purple Pants, Green Jersey