Former Gopher Standout Doing More Of The Same In Training Camp

Posted by cjsiewert on August 9, 2010 – 5:54 pm

Having been through 3 different training camps prior to Minnesota, Vikings WR Logan Payne has continually scratched and clawed his way through each practice in hopes of making the regular season roster. The 3-year veteran has yet to see significant time on game days during his career but this season may have a little more action in store for the Land O’ Lakes, Florida native.

In all honesty, Payne has surprised me the most throughout training camp. I have seen him drop 1 pass in the 10 practices I have covered so far and that 1 pass just came off the fingertips on a rocket thrown by QB Tarvaris Jackson.

As I mentioned after Saturday night’s practice, Payne has the ability to catch balls out in front of his body while using his hands rather than trapping the ball against his chest. His ability to make “hands” catches and then quickly making a move after the catch speaks volumes to Payne’s progression, but having a good set of hands is something that Payne prides himself on.

“As a receiver, the ball comes to you and the quarterback is believing in you,” Payne acknowledged. “You gotta come down with the ball. If you’re an NFL receiver you gotta catch everything.”

Payne got the attention of NFL scouts during his senior season as a Golden Gopher, hauling in 59 catches for 804 yards and 9 TDs. The impression he left landed him a job with the Seattle Seahawks as a rookie free agent in 2007. After spending time on the practice squad throughout the ’07 season, Payne earned a role as a starter in 2008. He stepped in with the Seahawks 1st unit for the first 2 games of the regular season before suffering a knee injury during his 2nd game that left him on the sidelines for the remainder of the season.

With the injury well behind #84 coupled with star WRs such as Percy Havin and Sidney Rice missing practice time due to personal matters and injury, respectively, Payne has garnered a significant amount of time getting reps in with the 1st and 2nd offensive units throughout training camp.

“Obviously those guys are superstars and you need those guys back as soon as possible,” Payne mentioned of Harvin and Rice. “When someone’s out and the way the NFL is, the next guy has got to step in and produce. I’ve been getting some more reps and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Former Gopher Standout Doing More Of The Same In Training Camp”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

It sounds like he’ll make a great compliment to the back-up WRs on the team. We have seven guys on the roster right now competing for a spot as a backup WR and I’m guessing that only 3 of them will make the cut. Jaymaar Johnson and Greg Lewis were my first two picks for no better reason than their production on the team last year. But from what I’m hearing (and what I saw at camp on Thursday) I have a good feeling that Payne just may prove to earn a spot above both of them on the depth chart.

2. By matt on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

man i am liking this logan payne guy more and more.

3. By Carl K on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

So is Reynaud going to get cut this year? I don’t think we keep 4 RB. He was a top 10 NFL punt returner last season! How do we replace him?

4. By Malte on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

I think reynaud still will be on the team, also because he is so great on Special teams.. I don’t think percy will see much punt returning, but mainly kick returnining, and reynaud is still very good at punts, so don’t worry that much

5. By Carl K on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Reynaud has a career kick off return avg of 24.2 yards and a punt return avg of 10.3 yard. He is versitalle and can play RB or WR – but I am still worried for Reynaud and a few others that were on the roster last year. He have a lot of good new fresh talent like Payne, C.Cook, Gerhart, Degeare, E.Griffen, Webb, P Brown, Shepphard, Moats and R. Lloyd. The Vikings did not lose that many FA players this offseason… some good players will need to be cut – I am keeping my fingers crossed for Reynuad.

6. By Eugene G on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Call me crazy fellow Vikings fans but despite the pundits that are convinced that we lose ground without Favre I just don’t believe it we have WAY too much talent on both sides of the ball and if anything the players gonna make the QB look good this season regardless of who he is…that’s good news about Logan Payne let’s go Vikings!

7. By rocksalt on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Good that Logan Payne is getting the reps, Bad that Peterson, Rice ,and Harvin are not. Ditto for Favre. Timimng masy be an issue if/when these players reurn.
    Harvin has missed 15 practices: for most of us as employees, we do not get more than a few days for berievement………
    I hope he will be back soon.

8. By GOLDVIKE on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

logan payne is looking good from what i hear

9. By Lito on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Now, how about a 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret Favre and create holes for AP and TG?

10. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Rocksalt, Harvin is having his headaches AGAIN! I AM REALLY STARTING TO WORRY ABOUT RICE AND HARVIN! Sidney hasn’t practiced at all…..Percy is having headaches again…………..SOMETHING ISN’T RIGHT ABOUT THIS SEASON ALREADY! Just seems wrong! Can’t put my finger on it …but I thinK the magic is missing right now! If Sidney doeasn’t get healthy and Percy can’t control these headaches………WE CAN FORGET ABOUT IT! Like I have said before…I don’t think we need Brett …I’ll take T-Jack…..but these weapons of ours……they need to get right!

11. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

ANYBODY AGREE….ANYBODY THINKING THE SAME THING ….OR WORRIED AT ALL? How can Sidney still be injured…………it’s been months…..Percy…Headaches……….I’ve known people in my family that have suffered from migranes….but not like Percy…………they seem to be all the time…he has the best doctors that money can buy…….I just can’t see it….not having them this often….come on! ” IT’S NOT A TUMOR!”

12. By Carl K on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Drew Rosenhaus (Sidney’s agent) is known for playing hard ball. Rice is in his final year of a small contract. I am not sure if this PUP thing is all injury related.

13. By Carl K on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Kinda funny how Rosenhaus broke the Sidney Rice injury story about the same time everyone at the Fitzgerald camp including Chris Carter expected Rice to be there. I think it is odd that the key people with the Fitzgerald camp knew nothing about his injury and expected him to show up.

14. By celticvikingwarrior on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

“OLDSCHOOL”, I am also VERY “oldschool”, play through the pain, don’t acknowledge inuries, be tough, mind over matter etc. But please lighten up on Percey and the migraines…I am now permanently disabled with MULTIPLE serious spine injuries, also suffer from ungodly migraines at least twice a month, that at the time make me wish I were dead !!!! Even massive amounts of morphine can’t help…The reason I share this is that I’m wondering if all the EXPERTS have checked his spine, disc’s, bone spur’s growing through nerve root’s and soforth. I would very much like to think so as he has access to the best care available. However I can’t help but remember the countless “EXPERT”S” who missed my causes for YEAR’S. In fact now that I’m writing this, his situation is more like mine than I thought, if the cause can be connected to his “work” he may be entitled to workmen’s compensation for life. The point is, migraines can be EXTREMELY dibilitating and hard to diagnose so give the kid the benefit of the doubt !!! And stress DOES play a BIG part, (frequently) but NOT alway’s. So again lighten up a bit !!!!

2. Aug 9, 2010: Former Gopher Standout Doing More Of The Same In Training Camp | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Aug 10, 2010: Sorting Through The Vikings Wide Receivers « Purple Pants, Green Jersey