Family Football Day Highlighted By Peterson and Payne

Posted by cjsiewert on August 7, 2010 – 7:25 pm

After a soggy morning, the skies cleared off and the night practice in Blakeslee Stadium turned out to be a perfect night for football. Today was Family Football Day with events during the day that included a season ticker owner’s social, youth cheerleader clinic and the Gatorade Jr. Training Camp. The big event of the day was the 5:00 p.m. practice held inside Blakeslee Stadium that had both sides of the stadium packed with the Vikings faithful.

Tonight’s practice was a good wrap-up to the 1st full week of training camp as some of the marquee players made highlight reel worthy plays as well as a few under-the-radar guys making a good impression for themselves.

Here’s a few of the highlights that occurred during the Vikings Family Football Day practice…

-     CB Benny Sapp must have been feeling better today after battling an illness for the past few practices as he spent time getting reps in with the 2nd team defense.

-     TE Garrett Mills opened up the 11-on-11 practice with a nice turn around grab on a pass from QB Tarvaris Jackson in tight coverage to haul in the TD reception in the corner of the endzone.

-     RB Adrian Peterson found his way into the spotlight with his hands by catching a check down dump pass from Jackson at the 10 yard line and then proceeded to weave his way into the endzone. A few plays later, Peterson made a nice play on a swing pass from Jackson and found his way down the field for the TD.

-     The combination of QB Sage Rosenfels to WR Logan Payne paid dividends with Payne bringing down numerous “hands” catches, some in very tight coverage. One catch that particularly stood out in my mind occurred when Rosenfels went on a 5-step drop and fired the ball across the middle of the field to Payne. The throw by Rosenfels was right on the money between 3 defenders where only Payne could make a play on the ball. Payne made another great “hands” catch out in front of his body and then ran 70 yards down the left sideline for the TD.

-     WR Bernard Berrian closed out practice with a great reception near the right sideline on a rocket thrown from Jackson.

It’s been a great week of training camp for the men in purple and it seems as if this team is geared up and ready to take it to the St. Louis Rams in just 1 week from today. There is no practice tomorrow as the team has the day off to rest, a rest that is well deserved. Training camp resumes on Monday with practices at 9:00 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.

Posted in CJ Siewert | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Family Football Day Highlighted By Peterson and Payne”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear that Rosenfels is finally starting to show some skill. He just may yet prove to be worth something in a trade.

2. By Carl K on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I am not sure what to do with Sage?? If Favre does retire… we are one little injury (Tjack does have a history with injuries) away from needing Sage. It would be nice to have someone behind Tjack that can play well enough to compete with him.

3. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

is anyone else a little curious to see what t jack can do after a year of learning under favre? don’t get me wrong two years of learning would be awesome. but it sounds like he’s having a great camp and its without rice or harvin. i think most of all, all he needs is the confidence of the coaching staff (childress). i used to think it was a no sh!@er that 4 would be back but last i heard he hasn”t run much without having pain to that ankle. last thing i want chilly to do is go back to conservative play calling. and please for the love of god if we’re up by a td at half doesn’t mean we can run, run, run, punt and leave it up to the def.

4. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m curious Moorevikes……I think T-Jack will be GOOD….may be GREAT…if given the chance!

5. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I think he can even add a wrinkle or so to the Offense because he has speed and mobility that Brett doesn’t…….and with Brett and that ankle…even less to offer! He has a rocket for an arm……just needs to get off to a good start in that game against the Saints….if he can light them up…the team will get behind him and they could role! How many sacks did brett take at the end of the year that T-Jack could have avoided and even extended the play for a gain?! ALOT! If Brett can’t do it….stay at home…if ready …let’s go! I think Brett is going to retire and if so……then retire and let T-Jack go do his thing…it is not about talent with T-Jack, it’s about how he can handle the pressure the first couple of games so he and the team can believe!

6. By Benson on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I think the vikings should play more of the spread offense line peterson up as a wideout at times. Have 5 wideouts including tightends empty backfield, and just pick apart defenses. If they decide to blitz than you will have a lot of one on one mismatches. T.J would be more effective in the spread offense because of his capability to run with the ball also and throw on the run. Teams will probably not blitz as much if you play spread especially favre at center so if they drop back in coverage give favre time and he will just be a field surgeon and pick his poison. I hope chilly considers this percy will do a lot of damage mid range since he’s a catch and run receiver. If you are playing against a 3-4 that’s going to have a lot of linebackers on the field covering receivers and tight ends it will be effective.

7. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

has anyone heard anything on mckinnie? just my opinion: but i think he’s overrated. he really needs to get it together this year or whoever is our qb is going to have a rough go at it

8. By fmfan on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

We need to stay healthy to get to the playoffs.

9. By fmfan on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

how many of you do the FAN POLL ? Last 1 was if Brett retires who will be our starter and Tarvaris got over 70%. Now it’s who do you think will be the starter in week 1 and Brett has over 75%. People Brett is done. He text the team and teammates that he is not going to play in 2010. He will make it official at a time of his choice …

10. By Tom on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

OLDSCHOOL, TJ great? I need some of what your smoking, or are you on acid? Either way it must be nice to live in the land of oz! Have a nice trip.

11. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

How do we know? According to the Coaches and Players, T-Jack has been very ON! Brett has even said that T-Jack was very On! I guess what I’m saying Tom is that………This Team and it’s players “Weapons” that it has on it’s offense can make alot of “Good” QB’s look really Good….may be “Great”! I guess what I’m hoping is that he is really Good or may be great Great because he is going to have to be because #4 is not coming back !!!!!!!! So we all better hope the same thing because if he is not……….WE all better be smoking something to get through this season because it is going to be Rough!!!!!!! AGREE?

12. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

The biggest problem with T-Jack 2 years ago and when he came into the league was that he could not read D’s! He came from a small college and he did not face the kinda D’s that you face in the NFL! The talent and skills were there to be drafted! This is his 5th year!!!!!

This is my called shot……Brett retires, T- Jack goes off!!!!!! Hold on….let me finish this last drag……………OK…..T-Jack goes to the Pro Bowl!!!!!

13. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

You’re all crazy. Even if Brett retires, which is something he hasn’t done this late in a season, we still have a great team. Remember that Culpepper used to be considered a top-ten QB until Randy Moss was given away. In the same fassion the Patriots made a nobody named Matt Cassell look like he was the real deal. So either way it goes, even if TJack takes over the offense he still has the talents of Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian and Visanthe Shiancoe to make him look great. These guys gave Favre his best year ever after every respected sports announcer was convinced that the old man was washed up. So maybe he was. Maybe that’s just how good the rest of the team is.

14. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

10-4!!!!!!!!

15. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

i’ll just add that, when t jack started out i noticed alot of dropped p-a-sses by receivers, he didn’t have adrian as a checkdown option (just wasn’t his strong suite) and his coaches and team and fans didn’t believe in him. lets hope that all that changes. probowl though, man oldschool that’s a stretch but i hope you’re right and if you are i’ll be the first to tell you, you were right. then i’m going to ask you for that weeks lotto numbers. ppe i agree it’s amazing how great receivers can make a qb. i really do believe we have a team that can go the distance. i don’t think ONE guy goes to the sb i thought 54 went

16. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

sorry meant 45

17. By PlumCrazyPurple on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

With all due respect Talent is not the issue … T-Jack has physical talent, but he has no skill (Brain Skill ) and somebody better start telling Sage Rosenfels to wake up and smell the coffee that it’s FOOTBALL !!!! not GQ modeling on the sidelines.
    We need to go with a running game if the GREAT ! Brett retires. We have a class a football team that can get to the Super bowl even with these back yard QB’s and we now have the running backs to do it with and with our great receivers to compound the running game we can still do it with out the GREAT ! Brett. Other wise I feel we still need the GREAT ! Brett

18. By Carl K on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Favre status is uncertain – if Favre retires, how good will the Vikings be with Jackson at QB? I love a great debate so I will gladly chime in and clear this up. The answer: Jackson is ready to shine. How good will the Vikings be? A solid playoff team. What more can you ask from this kid? Tjack will have a lot of pressure on him if and when he takes over this team. I remember a guy named Drew Brees who had his share of critics his first three years in the NFL. His first year he could not beat out Doug Flutie. His next two years his record as a starter was 12 wins and 20 loses. Drew had a 76.9 rating in 02 and 67.5 rating in 03. In those 2 years Brees threw 28 TDs and 31 INT.

People it takes time for a QB to develop in the NFL. Tjack will do just fine.

19. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I believe the season will come down to that first game of the season……in New Orleans! If Brett retires and T-Jack gets his chance that game, it will come down to the way in which T-Jack handles the pressure of that PARTICULAR GAME! If he can show the fans, league, and most important…his own team that he can do the job…. in that game……he will get better along with the team each and every game after! Because lets face it……NO OTHER GAME WILL HAVE MORE PRESSURE, UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS, THAN THAT GAME!!!!! If he game light up the saints that game…..our team will be just fine without Brett!!! Now, on the other hand, if he doesn’t show up…could be real bad after that!

20. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Skol Vikes!

21. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Saints game could be the biggest game of T-Jack’s life and then hope the next one will be the SuperBowl!

22. By Tom on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

OLDSCHOOL, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beer just came out of my nose! If your smoke makes all you guys want TJ, I want some of it too! GO VIKES!! SKOL!!!!!

23. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

that’s right tom thinks the world revolves around brett. he’s right guys if brett retires we should disband the team and take up watching figure skating at tom’s house.

24. By moorevikes on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

you do realize that even if he comes back this year he will eventually retire right tom. i tell ya what when that does happen you can always go down to hattiesburge and watch him throw to high schoolers and let the fans of the mn. vikings carry on with backing our team

25. By OLDSCHOOL on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

This is the thing, Brett’s ankle is bad, watched video of him walking across the High School football field last week…if walk is what you want to call it…it looks bad!!!Even if he were to come back Tom…..HOW LONG WOULD HE LAST THIS SEASON BEFORE THAT ANKLE IS ROLLED UP ON?????? 2 GAMES…3 OR 4 GAMES…….We are going to see T-Jack like it or not….PERIOD! Soooo we better just get on board for the ride this season! I think when you see T-Jack roll out and scramble for 20 or 30 yards when Brett would be laying in the back field for a 6 yard lose…coming up with a limp…I think you will start to see what I’m talking about….but don’t be a stranger when it happens….!

26. By Tom on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Favre has not missed a game in 19 yrs. If he comes back healthy, I doubt he will miss any this season. All I’m saying is he gives us the best chance at a superbowl victory this season. Even you guys must admit that. I root for the vikes no matter what (45 yrs and counting). I just want one championship!

27. By purple08 on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

The last couple of years, all I heard on this blog was how much everyone hated T-Jack and how bad he was. I always felt he has shown flashes here and there but really was never given enough of a chance. He had so much pressure put on him and the Vikings fans were brutal towards him. It is nice to see some people are beginning to get behind him. I think the most important thing for him to improve on are his leadership skills. If he can gain respect and trust from the rest of the team then the sky is the limit. I could not believe how many times he put the ball on the numbers only to have the ball dropped. Anyone remember Shiancoe dropping the ball in the endzone against the Colts a couple years ago? He holds on and the Vikes had that game wrapped up and things might have turned out differently for T-Jack that season. I hope Favre retires and we go with the guy we drafted. How can Vikings fans cheer for a guy who played for the Packers all those years? I never understood that. I really do not want to sit through another season of “Favre Cam” and “Favre Watch”. It’s truly pathetic and embarassing. Say what you want but… Favre is not going to get us any closer than he did last year. He helped us get there but it was in his hands when it counted most and he blew it. HE blew it! Go away Brett Favre. Please.

28. By Carl K on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Most professional sports teams will comment and recognize how important the fan support is to their success. It is very encouraging to read the support for Tjack here. Attitude plays a big role in the road to becoming a champion. We are the 12th man, and our support makes a difference.

29. By Tom on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

08, Favre did not blow it, too many men on the field penalty took us out of field goal range. Funny how support for TJ rises the longer he does not play. Go with TJ as QB and the vikes will probably miss the playoffs, or one and done wild card.

30. By Rap99 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Purple08, seems like you are more a Favre hater than a viking fan. A viking fan would want the vikes to win the superbowl, and clearly Favre gives us the best shot at that.

31. By purple08 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I disagree Tom. There were many factors that contributed to the Vikes loss however, it came down to Favre with the ball in his hands. He simply needed to run for 2 yards and lay down. Instead he made a poor decision. I guarantee you that if it was T-Jack who had a great season and then blew it all on one play the NFC Championship game the way Favre did, fans would have not been nearly as forgiving. That being said, I realise this could be Jacksons’ last year if he does not have a good season. He needs to win in the playoffs…simple as that. If he can get off to a good start and manage games well, this team is talented enough that it can win a championship. Pass defense needs to be much better and AP needs to hold on to the ball. If Tobey Gerhart/ Albert Young can do half the job Chester did, we will be alright.

32. By purple08 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

99, I do not know Favre personally. But as a fan I am sick of the media hype that surrounds him. He is probably an awesome guy in real life. I have been sitting on my couch cheering against him for the last 20 years and have a hard time all of a sudden saying GO BRETT!! Maybe you can, but I have a hard time with that. I guess I am a little bit more old school than you. I would rather try to win with the guy we drafted. I’m sorry, Favre had a good year last year but he is done. I don’t care how tough he is. He will not be able to take the punishment of another season. It was pretty amazing seeing him get up after some of those hits last year and my respect level went way up for him, but it is over. Give it up. As for your comment that a Vikings fan would want us to win the Superbowl? Of course I want us to win! If we signed Terrell Owens,Mike Vick,Plaxico Burress and Ben Rothlisberger and won the Superbowl would that be OK with you? Because I tell you what, you would not catch me cheering for those dirtbags. I guess you are one of those people who just takes whatever the man gives you and comes back for more. The perfect fan. The perfect little consumer. The perfect little sheep. I can hear you now. Go Brett! Yay Brett! We love you now! Baaaaa! Baaaaa!

33. By Carl K on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Being a part of a team means lifting up and supporting your fellow mates. The mark of a true leader is when he will take a hit for a team mate regardless if he is a dirtbag or not. I will support OUR team whomever is a QB.

34. By Rap99 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

The team wants him back, doesn’t that say something about the man. Every player I saw interviewed wants him back. 08 your going to tell me that the video of Favre and the rest of the team made him look like a ME,ME,ME guy. Favre was a team player last season. T.O, Vick,Burress,Ben are not better than what we have now. I think it’s unfair to compare Favre with those guys.

35. By Rap99 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

08, I’m sick of the media hype too, but they always find something to hype.

36. By Tom on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t want to start all this, I just think Favre gives the vikes the best chance at a superbowl win. People here trashing Favre is not right. Rap is correct, he was a team player last season, if he wasn’t the guys would not want him back.

37. By purple08 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong fellas. I do not mean to compare Favre as a person or player to those other guys. He is no doubt a classy individual and good for the organization on and off the field. What I am trying to get accross is that I simply have a hard time as a fan, cheering for someone whom I have disliked as an opposing player for so many years. More so because of the constant media circus that coddles him than anything else. It’s all in good fun. It’s sports for petes sake. It is fun trash talking sports figures that you dislike but it’s not real life. It’s T.V. It’s entertainment, nothing more. God forbid someone trashes Lord Farve! You say it’s wrong? Get off your high horse and get over it. It shocks me that people can flip flop so easily. It is just a sign of the times I guess. If we won the Superbowl, 90% of the media coverage would be about Favre, and that’s what is wrong.

38. By #7 on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

I believe in Tarvaris. Favre is all about himself.

2. Aug 7, 2010: Family Football Day Highlighted By Peterson and Payne | Vikings Stop Blog