Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 6, 2010 – 8:25 am

We’re a week into training camp already and there are lots of questions to be answered, so don’t forget to submit your comments/questions to the Monday Morning Mailbag.

To submit, send an email to me at wobschallm@vikings.nfl.net. Remember to include your name and town with each email.

We can’t post every comment/question, but I’ll respond to every question.

17 Responses to “Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions”

1. By JP on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mike,

I think the Vikings biggest liability is John Sullivan. And, from my perspective, his size/strength is his biggest issue. I’ve seen media comments hinting that Sullivan worked on increasing strength this offseason. But, I have read no detailed report on this. Have you seen any evidence of this? Does he look bigger? Is he holding his ground better?

By the way, I think AP’s “problem” with the Vikes organization is less to do about money and more to do with the poor interior line play. Hard to run when someone is in your face as your receiving the ball from the QB.

Lastly, given where the Vikings sit (Superbowl contenders), why wouldn’t they invest in a proven talent/force at C or RG? Make a trade and get a proven veteran (e.g. Mankins) who can make AP and Favre that much better.

Look forward to your thoughts.

2. By stephen moller on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

why does it seem that everyone is saying that the vikes will not even come close to having the same year they had last year if farve doesn’t come back? i do think that we will not be as strong but we do not know how jackson will react after having farve as a mentor for a year. also do not forget that jackson does have playoff experience and he is also looking pretty sharp at camp. having farve will definately be a tremendous asset to the offense but i do not think the season is going to be over if he doesn’t return. what are your thoughts on this?

3. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

JP- How much strength and weight Sullivan has added from his college years at Notre Dame until now is a fair question – but I would disagree strongly that he is too small or a liability as an NFL center. John is 6-4 301, that is a good frame for an NFL center. Jeff Saturday of the colts is 6-2 295, Olin Kreutz of the bears is 6-2 292, and Matt Birk is 6-4, 310. With that said I would say that not many players (if any) can fill Matt Birks shoes. I would agree Sullivan has a major challenge ahead of him replacing a guy like Birk, but I am willing to give him some time to develop. It is unfortunate that Birk and Sharper did not want to end their careers as Vikings.

I am an advocate of open competition. I think I would have kept Artist Hick on the outside to push McKinnie and I would have moved Cook inside to push Sully or Herrera for a starting job. I also believe we have athletic backup CB that could push M. Wlliams for that starting FS postion. I think we have good versatile players on the Vikings roster that could be moved around alittle to compete with a couple of our questionable starters – if needed. I am just an arm chair QB with confidence that our fine coaching staff will put us in the best postion to win games and develop talent.

4. By Tom on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

With the injury to Rice and Harvin’s personal time off, the backup WR’s have gotten more reps than they would normally get. Who seems to be getting the most of the additional reps? I keep hearing about Lewis and Payne making catches but not much about Jaymar Johnson. With Johnson’s speed I was hoping he would emerge and take that 3rd year leap that young WR’s often make but I have not read much on any Viking website about the camp he is having.

5. By shane on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

do you think that the vikings will eventually start using the wildcat since harven was so good at running it at florida????

6. By Ben on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Assuming Favre is back, what is going to be the Vikings biggest weakness and how are the VIkings going to address that weakness. On the flip side, what is the Vikings best attribute, and how are they going to use that to their advantage?

7. By Tom on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Stephen, are you really going to compare TJ with Favre, really? 09 TJ was benched and Gus took us to the playoffs. TJ played vs philly and was terrible. If Favre does not return, the vikes will be at best a wild card, one and done. This team is built to win now.

8. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Heck I haven’t even heard you guys refer to ray small. How has C. Cook been covering the main 3 at camp since the other 4 seem to not do anything?

9. By Hans on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

How good is T Jackson QB at reading defense’s

10. By IRAMOE on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Has any thought been given to picking up Aaron Schobel now that the Bills have let him go?

11. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Tom – I agree Tjack is not in the same ball park as far as skill level or leadership ability as Brett Favre. I am not sold on the idea of Tjack being a “franchise QB” or even the QB of the future for the Vikings – but I would much rather have him this year over jimmy clausen or colt mccoy. Jackson has more regular season wins than loses and more TDs than INTs. And it was Jackson that helped the Vikings win 5 games down the stretch in 08 that got us to the playoffs. Yes, the guy had 1 big bad play in the playoff game agianst philly. Most young QBs have thrown an INT in a playoff game (that is what they do). I have confidence that Tjack can step in “if needed” and look sharp leading us to the playoffs.

12. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Is the glass half empty or half full? Very debatable when it comes to Jackson as the Vikings QB?

13. By Tom on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Carl, all I’m saying is that to win the superbowl this season TJ is not an option. He was terrible in the playoff loss to philly, not just the 1 int. 15/35 164 yds, 45.4 rat. I would take McCoy/Claussen as you don’t know how good they may be, With TJ we’ve seen he doesn’t have “IT”as an NFL QB.

14. By Cory on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Lets operate under the assumption that Favre is coming back because all the Superbowl chatter is a mute point if he does not.
    We need improved play from our OLine and Secondary. I think we missed the boat with Haynesworth and Mankins, both would have been GREAT additions…
    We should be concerned about the injury to Rice, and lack of established depth behind Adrian.

15. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Tom – I like reading your blogs here and I think you might be right that Tjack doesn’t have the “IT” factor. About Claussen – I am from Indiana just 2 hours from South Bend, so it is all about Notre Dame Football here… and for a moment I thought the Vikings would select him at the top of round 2. I am glad they went with Chris Cook (Cook looks outstanding so far). Brady Quinn had a ton more fan support around here than Caussen… why because jimmy is not a great team leader. You could argue the Vikings should have taken McCoy over Toby because McCoy has “IT”. I might have been tempted to take McCoy in mid to late round 2. I have no problem with that move… but you said we are built to win now, and I think Tjack this year puts us in a better postion to go to the superbowl than those 2 QB or any of the free agents that were available. I think McCoy might develop into another Drew Brees but it took Drew 4 or 5 year to become a great QB.

16. By Dustin on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

How has the punt and kick returners practice been going? Will the coaches give other players a chance to replace Harvin there to lessen the chance of injury to Harvin. It seems that if another player is a close second to Harvin(at returns) it would make sense to put them to some use instead of being back ups.

2. Aug 6, 2010: Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions | Vikings Stop Blog