Rookie DE Griffen Soaking In Training Camp Experience

Posted by cjsiewert on August 6, 2010 – 1:00 pm

The Vikings held another up-beat practice Friday morning including an array of nice plays and hard hits with each player suited up in shoulder pads. A week has now passed by here at Verizon Vikings Training Camp and, as Mike included in his Friday morning observations, each position group has improved on a daily basis coupled with numerous stand-out performances by players such as WR Bernard Berrian, LB Jasper Brinkley and rookie CB Chris Cook.

Unlike my observations of the offensive linemen from Thursday afternoon’s practice, today was a great opportunity to gauge how the battle down in the trenches is coming along. With the linemen being able to make full contact blocks, the groups of both offensive and defensive linemen solidified my impressions over the past week in how each player is progressing.

T Patrick Brown looked even more impressive today in his blocking capability by taking on players such as Pro Bowl DE Jared Allen, 4-year veteran Brian Robison and rookie Everson Griffen. The battle that took place down in the trenches that impressed me the most this morning was that between Brown and Griffen, as both players are scratching and clawing their way to find a spot on the 53-man roster.

“It’s finally coming along,” Griffen said. “I’m feeling good, I’m happy just to be out here being a Minnesota Viking. My dream finally came true and it’s all about working. Once you get to this level it’s all about self-motivation and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Having a week of training camp under his belt now, Griffen also acknowledged that he has been able to form close relationships with the core of defensive linemen. Griffen was selected in the 4th round (100th overall) in the 2010 NFL Draft and was able to relate to both Ray Edwards and Robison, as they were both selected in the 4th round in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

“I relate to Ray and Robison,” Griffen said. “They just help me out in there. I’m a rookie and I just got to come along and pick up the tempo and go hard all the time.”

This morning’s practice also saw the 1st team offense going against the 2nd team defense. This session allowed Griffen to butt heads with 9-year veteran Bryant McKinnie. Going heads-up against a Pro Bowler such as McKinnie has given Griffen the opportunity to rise up to the challenge and prove that he is capable of performing at the NFL level.

“Oh man, it’s fun,” Griffen mentioned about going against McKinnie. “It’s only going to make me better in the long run. I just have a blast going against him every day.”

Tags: ,
Posted in CJ Siewert | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Rookie DE Griffen Soaking In Training Camp Experience”

1. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

good stuff CJ, but did you mean T Patrick Brown (not Chris Brown) looked good or T Chris Clark looked good. I don’t think we have a Chris Brown?

2. By Carl K on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

I hope Mike doesn’t make you run laps because of that mistake.
    By the way, the John Randle intro page is too COOL.

3. By cjsiewert on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Carl K – Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I did mean Patrick Brown.

4. By AZVikingFan on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Would be nice to see Everson Griffen develop into a solid DE. Sounds like he’s working hard. Could be a good diamond in the rough, as the only knock on him coming out of USC was that he didn’t work very hard. Sounds like he’s working hard in training camp.

5. By arthurwayne on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Griffen is a great talent and things come natural to him. It is nice to hear he is soaking up what our veterans are teaching, I love his have fun attitude.

6. By Carl K on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

AZVikingFan – I think it is unfortunate that a lot sports writers have said some negitave things about this kid’s work ethic. You can’t coach God given talent (Griffen has it) but you can teach/coach/learn work ethic. Some so called draft experts had him as a first rounder. If a little bit of Jared Allen and Ray Edwards rubs off on this guy, and if he is motivated to prove some of these critics wrong… the Vikings could have another BEAST at DE.

7. By Lito on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

With the Williams wall intact, an “improved” secondary, and hopefully, with EJ back; the defense, barring any more injury excuses should shine again. Now, how about a 6’6″ 330 offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret F. and open holes for AP and TG?

8. By MGR4FUN on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

i am thinkin mr lito is overlookin 6’4″ 325# mr chris degeare g/t out of wake forrest … camp reports say he is doin an exellent job … i am thinkin mr lito is another brother inlaw to makins agrent … the purple do not need mr mankins more from a payroll thing not sayin he isnt a baller

9. By Carl K on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I also think Lito is overlooking Ryan Cook 6’6″ 328lbs 5 year vet from New Mexico who started 33 games for the Vikings at T and was a 2nd round draft pick. Played center in college – so the Vikings could use him inside if needed. Cook is a strong guy that hold the Power clean record of 352 lb at New Mexico.

10. By Blake G on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Everson sounds like he is doing what he should have been doing for along time. I have followed him for along time and he has had a, “good enough to get by attitude”. But now it seems like he is pushing himself towards something more. That is scary for opposing offenses. He has top tier talent, lets just hope he keeps pursuing top tier work ethic.

11. By Blake G on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Also Everson and Viking great Randall McDaniel graduated from the same High School. Maybe Everson could follow in his footsteps further. Still so much work to do though. But I rooting for the Kid.

2. Aug 6, 2010: Rookie DE Griffen Soaking In Training Camp Experience | Vikings Stop Blog