Berrian Looks To Be In Top Form

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 4, 2010 – 2:44 pm

WR Bernard Berrian signed a big-money free agent contract with the Minnesota Vikings prior to the 2008 season in a move designed to improve the team’s passing game by stretching opposing defenses to open things up underneath. And unlike many big-money free agents across the sports spectrum, Berrian delivered on expectations.

Berrian led the NFL in yards per catch at 20.1 and also set career highs with 7 TDs and 964 receiving yards.

His 2009 campaign was another good one, although not as sensational. Berrian ranked 3rd on the team in receiving yards after leading the team the year prior and the slight drop-off was due to an injury he suffered in the preseason. That injury had him a tick off.

But that is not the case so far during 2010 Verizon Vikings Training Camp. Berrian is healthy and in my eyes he’s been one of the team’s most impressive performers. He makes the routine plays routinely and his speed is as evident as ever.

“I feel like I’m having a solid camp,” Berrian acknowledged, “but there are still things I can get better at and some things I can work on. There is still room to improve.”

Watching him in camp, you’d be hard-pressed to find something #87 can improve upon. But he cited route details, getting in and out of breaks and sinking his hips going into those breaks as areas of his game he’ll work to improve.

“I think one of the best things for Bernard is being out here,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “He did miss a lot of time, particularly in camp and early in the season last year. He was hobbled with the injuries he had last year. I think it is great for him to be out here. By the end of the year he had started to catch up a little bit. Like I said the other day, his best game was the last game (NFC Championship Game) against New Orleans.”

While Berrian is working to perfect detailed areas of his craft, Vikings WRs coach George Stewart says Berrian has already improved other areas of his game as well.

“The thing that he’s doing that has impressed me more than anything else, is with Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin being away, he’s stepped up his leadership role,” Stewart explained to me. “Bernard has always been quiet, very reserved and has played at a high level. But he is stepping up in that leadership role, which you need at a young position.”

In a Vikings world where the headlines are focused on QB Brett Favre and his status, it looks like one of Favre’s most reliable weapons is quietly regaining his top form from 2008.

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Berrian Looks To Be In Top Form”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

ESPN is going crazy about the “this is it” comment and bringing up new news that Favre signed a new contract worth $16mil plus $4mil in bonuses! How much truth is there to this and how long have they been talking over all of this?

I NEED DETAILS! ESPN is trying to make us look like horrible conniving weasels today!

2. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Good for bb with him healthy along with rice and harvin we have the best wr core in the league and what is this they don’t have egos and that means success.

3. By Carl K on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Berrian might be quiet… but he is big in style – and dangerous when healthy. I think this will be a probowl season for him.

No cap this year right? Kudos to the Vikings for offering Favre a new contract – if its true.

4. By FloridaFan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

there is no new contract. espn like the star tribune is trying to cover their butts. they printed a rumor yesterday, that proved false and are trying to sway the spotlight away from their error onto brett and the vikings.

5. By Johnny Johnson on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Ssshhh. Don’t tell anyone but he’s my fantasy football sleeper this year.

6. By Max on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

If he can stay healthy, he has the ability to stretch the field and really help power the offense this year.

7. By Carl K on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Mike, you wrote Reynuad had the best run in the mornig practice – but startribune is reporting Darius was injuried and was carted off the field? Are you guys watching the same practice? Is Reynuad injuried?

8. By Carl K on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

my bad.. I think reynuad got injured in the afternoon practice. I hope he is ok?

9. By Lance on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

We have so many weapons on offense it is scary!!!!

10. By Lito on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Now how about a 6’6″ 330 lb offensive center or right offensive guard to protect Bret F. and open holes for AP and TG?

11. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Lito, we all heard you… far too many times. It got old 3 weeks ago.

12. By WaVikingFan on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Great Job Berr…man oh man was my dad upset last year. I move to wa and he is in ca, and we would talk on the phone. All I would hear is oh Bernie bear better pull it out and kick some @$$. He always had faith in that guy….so hopefully BB can show everyone what he can do.

13. By Carl K on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn’t seem like we are getting any news or highlights from the afternoon practices. Wed afternoon I believe was a special teams practice. This would have been a great time for some young guys like Ray Small, Terrel Skinner, Ryan D’Imperio, Nate Tripplett and others to get on the field and make a statement. Does anyone know how that practice went?

14. By nick on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

i think joe webb should be named sterter in front of tavaris jackson no offense to him but we need somone new and there have benn stories that he is great and that would give thwr to shine nore like bernard berrian and rice and harivin and just think about a good QB with speed with AP tony garehart and albert young/ derius raynad it would be great so ya thats what i got to say

2. Aug 4, 2010: Berrian Looks To Be In Top Form | Vikings Stop Blog