Nothing To Say On Favre Talk

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 3, 2010 – 4:44 pm

Mankato, MN became the epicenter of the NFL on Tuesday with reports that Vikings QB Brett Favre has informed team officials that he intends to retire. There’s been no confirmation of this report from the Vikings and head coach Brad Childress explained to reporters during his post-practice press conference that the situation remains fluid and that he hasn’t been informed by Favre of a decision.

After this afternoon’s practice – which was held in humid conditions and last just short of 2 hours – several players were asked of their reactions to these reports and they answered the questions similarly.

“He was definitely a big part of our offense,” RB Adrian Peterson said. “It’s hard to replace a guy like Favre. It’s hard. But our expectation still stays the same. Taking it one step at a time and getting back in the position we were in last year. NFC Championship game, winning it and grabbing it all. That’s not changing at all.”

And we won’t get on the spot, either, until something more substantial develops. In the meantime, CJ is working on a follow up story to his report on Monday about the Vikings safeties that will be posted shortly and we’ll be posting more video interviews of players.

50 Responses to “Nothing To Say On Favre Talk”

1. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

What happened at practice? COME ON MAN! Is this some sort of joke?

2. By Carl K on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Are we not going to get training camp coverage now?

3. By Joe on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I know Carl. He’s just one player. There’s a whole other team.

4. By Paul on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I am so sick of this, i can not go threw all of camp and preseason hearing about you know who. Lets go T-Jack, this is still a very good team. Cant wait for the season to start, i dont care who are starting QB is we are still going to win some game’s this year. SKOL

5. By madden11 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

The show must go on, I mean yeah it is not good news by any means that he retired the players like favre more than t.j but they need keep there spirits high superbowl is the destination whether favre is under center or not. Lets see how strong this team overcomes the retirement of favre I have a feeling it will take them all season, and they better get there heads out of there ass and play football.

6. By Sharon Saunders on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett retiring again? I’ll be in Mankato tomorrow I will see what the buzz is!

7. By kw on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

FAMILY MEMBERS SAID HE IS STILL DECIDING. AND HE WAS TEXTING MARIUCCI THAT HE STILL HASNT DECIDED, THIS DAYS REPORTING WAS A COMPLETE FAULT ON THE REPORTING FOR HORRIBLE RESEARCH

8. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

mike, you might as well take this down, i have been heaering of reports the favre STILL has not decided, especially mariucci, who is a more trusted favre sourch than ANYONE.

9. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

this is a false media frenzy.

10. By arthurwayne on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings were a playoff team before favre, and we will be a playoff team agian this year with or without him. I agree the reporting is a mess!!!

11. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

for you fools who think favre has decided watch this.

12. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

and i would easily trust mariucci before zugland any day

13. By rocksalt on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

all this is just speculation at this point. if Favre annuonced retirement, don’t you think he would have contacted the ownership and media for an official statement? c’mon…who are the players he supposedly emailedf? none of this seems on the “up & Up” just reporters looking for some scoop but not verifying the info

14. By Ryan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Favre will not be back atleast for this year he has retired, fans just want to have some hope acting like he will change his mind maybe has a million times before but I have a feeling he has retired for this year.

15. By Carl E on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

HAHA guess who IS coming back next year? Aaron Rodgers. He’ll be in the division for a good 10 years. Welcome to the Favre circus, this guy has gone from legend, to the butt of a joke. Glad I watched him for 16 years when all he did was play football.

16. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

if rodgers stays healthy you idiot

17. By Arrowhead on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

he dosnt have a mind to change beacuse he never said anything ryan. he didnt contact the vikings and dodnt know where this is coming from

18. By corrine heroff on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

why dont you media guys just admit that you all jumped the gun and ran with a story that had zero credibility. Everybody wanted to be the first to report the news, but none of you checked facts.

19. By jw on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

exactly corrine

20. By Joe from Eagan, MN on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Everyone listen up, the man just wants more $$$. Give it to him!!! Go Vikes!

21. By secondnature815 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I was watching a tv show on Area 51 the top secret UFO… I mean military base in Nevada and I was wondering, is that where the press got their info? and Are We Alone?

22. By Cooely on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

More $$??? are you kidding me? i have no doubt that favre texted ppl within the viking administration but all the txt said was “this is it”…according to the supposively “sources”. that could mean anything. i don’t know if he’s coming back or not but he is a tremendous athlete and he loves the game. thats why he wants to come back…not the money. an athlete has to know his limit…thats his only uncertainty

23. By Gridiron fan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I really hate it when the media ‘breaks stories’ just to sell more newspapers or have everyone watching a certain station just for the highest number of viewers, like ESPN. I’m sure the reporter that was the ‘first’ to break the news did it just to say they were the first with the big story whether it was speculation or not. That still sells whether its true or not. Watch all the papers tomorrow with the ‘latest” on the story. Its ridiculous. Brett just wants to be healthy and able to contribute at a high level going in. He’ll be back when that ankle is healed.

24. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Cooley – you hit it on the nose. “this is it” could mean a million things, and was probably nothing more than a response to someone asking him what was the newest DVD that he bought!

Honestly all day long I’ve been certain that this whole “story” was nothing more than a little prank Brett was playing on the media. Just say 2 words to some annonymous source and then sit back and watch what the braindead reporters turn it into! Now let’s see if he can still fool defenses that well. First up N’Orleans.

25. By russell on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

ARRON ROGERS IS A CHUMP. NO ONE KNOWS IF BRETT WILL BE BACK YET UNTIL THE SEASON STARTS. SOME LOSER REPORTER IS JUST TRYING TO GET SOME PUBLICITY. LEAVE THE GUY ALONE. TO CARL E- BRETT DOESN’T CONTROL THE MEDIA. SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR A PLAYER THAT MADE THE GB PACKERS.

26. By Rogerthevikefan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Blame judd

27. By jessica on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Favre will be back give him time its not over till the fat lady sings people. I know favre can give us one more year. I was watching highlights of his season as a viking and he plays like he is 25 still. He has one more year to give us. He loves to play. He knows he will miss it too much. Just give him the time he needs people dont rush hm. He has an awesome group of fans that want one more year. Come on bret. If he does not come back his fans wont be mad, i’d love to see him and troy aikman and dan marino in a both together. Now how awesome would that be? It would be awesome but it be even more awesome if he can give us one more season. He is so much fun to watch. He plays like he loves it you can see it. One more year bret one more year. Please!!

28. By jessica on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

media sucks leave favre alone give him time. maybe he is wants to see how bad he is wanted. and maybe he got his ankle scoped which feels so good after its done. he is getting these surgeries done for a reason i mean think about it. if he is not coming back why would he get the surgery? If favre can play like he did last season he will be back. he hates training camp and he is practicing with a high school team i mean he is doing stuff on his own. he prepares for a season his own way. He is one of the best qb’s ever he knows what he needs to do. Give him a week or 2. you will see he will give us one more year. He is so happy when he plays you can see it. he loves the game so much. Go Bret

29. By jw on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

this is it could have been this is the year to win a super bowl

30. By kw on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

this story was fishy wen longwell said he didnt hear anything from him, longwell would have been one of the first people he told.

31. By kw on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

and yes, rodgers is a chump, he has one less playoff wins than jeff george and two less the daunte culpepper, lol.

32. By kw on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

now its reported that he is going the see dr andrews.

33. By BGN on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Brett could have come out and settled this with a quick statement. Even if it was “undecided still”. If Brett comes back we will have a better team. If Brett retires we will still have a great team. TJack is ready and has swallowed his pride enough to have earned respect and the position. I just want the season to begin and move on from the drama so I can get behind my team and start cheering again. Another rant: I am sick of the foolish “Brett bashers” that cannot grasp the fact that he is [still] one of the best in football today. You can hate his rediculous back and forth decision making history but when you try to slam his skills you only show ignorance. Aaron Rodgers is no Brett Favre. Why do all the Rodgers fans dis on Brett so much?

34. By Kathy on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope that Brett is back to finish what he & the Vikings started last year. Football just won’t be the same without him. We all know that eventually he will have to walk away but I don’t think it’s going to be this year. At least I hope it’s not. The thing that bugs me is that all the reporters seem to love to bash him every year when there’s talk about retirement but then when he comes back & plays great, they all jump on the bandwagon & talk about how great he is. I think he’s great no matter what decision he makes. I live in Wis & I’m a former Packers fan but will always be a Brett fan. If nothing else, Brett brought a lot of new fans to the Vikings. I will keep NFL Ticket regardless of what Brett decides because I now love all of the Vikings & don’t want to miss a single game. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Brett will be back this year because I know that the Super Bowl belongs to the Vikings this year. Please Brett, just give us one more year!!

35. By Kevin on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I said it last year and I will now say it again this year, we did not buy Brett’s arm and ability to play, we bought his LEADERSHIP. It just so happened that last year he showed everyone he was still the BEST. I hope he comes back again this year again for the leadership of the team, because T.J. can not step up for that. God speed to you Brett!!

36. By Bigfan1 on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

The media got this one wrong, classic example of not checking the facts first. If he retired he would’ve said it at a press conference. This man would have to be incapacitated not to play the game let alone have the chance to win it all with the caliber of team the Vikings have, ten returning pro-bowlers, another runner-up Heisman running back, strengthened secondary, beefed up and hungry defensive line, etc, etc….come on dude.

37. By Sports Enthusiast on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m a believe it when I see it type of guy and so far i’ve not seen anything. Coach Childress never received confirmation. So I believe this is a media thing and they’ve blown it way out of proportion. But I hope he comes back he’s by far my favorite player!!

38. By CarterMossReed on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Favre drama is a distraction to the team it seems like all the players do is care whether he comes back or not and not worried about training camp improving on their techniques. I guess they rely on just one person taking them to the superbowl. If favre really did tell sources he retired then I don’t blame him, the problem is the vikings will not let the old man retire and making it a huge distraction because they want to change his mind. This team cannot deal with adversity everyone who has been a fan for all there lives know how easily this team can be distracted and they will lay an egg once they hit the field.

39. By CarterMossReed on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

So what is this team going to do not play football until he makes up his mind. So why bother play this season if favre doesn’t return right hahah I’m not saying t.j is the solution but good teams find ways to win. Even manning and brady are not guaranteed to win a superbowl every year. Favre did throw that last interception he can still make plays but I wouldn’t guarantee the playoffs if he comes back he is known to take teams far but will cause the team when it counts also.

40. By FAVRE4EVER on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Wake up Zigi!!!You can offer Favre 30 million,but doesnt make Favre any more comfortable when he gets crushed every week. Trade Patriots Sage and either money or draft pick to boot for Logan Mankins. Get Mankins and we get Favre.

41. By rocksalt on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

While Favre is still clearly undecided…what is still puzzling is why he did not elect to have the ankle suregery earlier in the year, say february or early March….he would have then healed earlier, and been able to give everyone a definite decision either way well before the end of training camp…….

42. By justin on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone see the “retirement pattern” of Brett Favre? He plays one year on steroids, then he comes off steroids for a year. Then he comes back and takes his steroids again to have a STELLAR year.

He alternated fantastic seasons with terrible seasons his last 4 years with the Packers. Then with the N.Y. Jets, he didn’t take steroids and he was deplorable!

Retire old man. And take that imbecile Wilf with you.

43. By purple08 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Pleeeeaase retire you overrated b um! I won’t have to listen to people kissing your b utt every day. Nice to hear some T-Jack supporters out there!

44. By Cindy VanDerMillen on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Vikings fan since, “Fran the Man” and this whole favre thing is ridiculous and childish. Be a man, suck it up and get to camp with the rest of your teammates or get off the pot! There may be a v in favre’s last name, but I think it stands for “very spoiled” and not Vikings. GO VIKES!

45. By Sharon Saunders on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Cindy. Also agree with cartermossreed. This whole thing IS a distraction for the team and they all need to get together and get on the same page with one thing in mind – having an awesome season. Brett you are fantastic for someone your age and still able to play football – so you have a decision to make play or!!! I have been a Vikings fan since – well for 48 of the 50 yrs. – Norm Van Brocklin and his family went to the same church – there never was this much drama back then. And the original Purple People Eaters (Eller, Page, Larson, Marshall) wow what a team. Go Vikes!!!! You can do it with or without Brett.

46. By Cooely on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

whoa whoa ladies…this blog is about the status of brett favre, not about who has been a viking fan the longest. No doubt you show true dedication but give the guy a break. he’s doin the right thing by waiting on his ankle to heal properly. Sure he could suck it up and risk it but he knows he wants to give his team another awesome season. going in and gettin hurt half way through the season is not what any of us want. he’s doing whats right by him and the team

47. By Sharon Saunders on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Now Cooley – what’s this whoa whoa ladies thing!!! I believe it’s important for people be it football fans in general or loyal-not-fair-wheather fans of the Vikings to express their loyalty to a sports team. If by chance BF looks at this blog then he will know that he has a lot of very loyal fans. Yes there are those that profess their so called loyalty to a team but when they have a bad game or a bad season – will curse the team and even leave the team. I would be a Vikings fan with or without BF & have been for 48 yrs. Yes it makes me ______ that old so you may address me as Mame

48. By Ron P on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Just a question that is slightly off the subject.

Everyone has to remember how the Saints in the NFC championship made it obviously clear that it was their mission to injure Brett Favre through legal or illegal hits. Now, I am not a proponent of playing dirty football to take out the quarterback. I want to see the best team win with all of their starting players if possible. But if the Saints want to play like they did in the NFC champsionship and try to intentionally injure Brett Favre, why wouldn’t the coaches and defensive players for Minnesota reciprocate that type of play? See if Mr. Breeze can take high/low hits, late hits, etc.

Just a question from a Vikings fan who was born and lives in Louisiana.

49. By John-Karl on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

All i can Say Is Brett dosnt come back The Vikings are Washed Up.
    T.J. Worest QB ever. Can you say Vikings 0-15?

2. Aug 3, 2010: Nothing To Say On Favre Talk | Vikings Stop Blog