Childress Needs To Hear It From “The Horse’s Mouth”

Posted by cjsiewert on August 3, 2010 – 11:35 am

As you all know, reports are flying all over the place about Vikings QB Brett Favre potentially announcing his retirement. The fact of the matter is that Favre has yet to release a statement about his intentions and Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress has not yet heard from Favre about his decision.

“I’m not a big hear-say person,” Childress said when questioned about the reports. “I’m a horse-say, I got to hear it from the horse’s mouth.”

Vikings K and long-time Favre teammate Ryan Longwell was on the same line of information that Childress spoke of that he has also not heard Favre mention anything about his retirement.

“Well I got a text from him, but no, he hasn’t mentioned anything like that [retirement],” Longwell said. “I told him about the free buffet at Pizza Ranch and he said he’d be on the next flight up, so I don’t know if that will turn him around to get up here sooner than later but he certainly didn’t say that he was ending it or retiring.”

Keep in mind that these reports have not yet been confirmed. Training camp will continue this afternoon with practice at 3:00 p.m. We will continue to keep you updated on any Favre reports along with Mike’s observations from the afternoon practice. I’ll be watching the safeties again and I’ll try to get a few words in from Tyrell Johnson, Jamarca Sanford or Madieu Williams, so keep it here on vikings.com.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Childress Needs To Hear It From “The Horse’s Mouth””

1. By Max on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Childress will offer Favre a little extra “hay” as incentive to come back.

2. By Hey Max on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

good call, i thought the same thing. it would take an unbelievably greedy person to do that, and favre isn’t known for being greedy, money-wise (he is self-absorbed, paranoid, vain, and selfish… but not greedy). but it is definitely possible that he says, “i’ll come back… but what’s it worth to ya? how about 15 mil?”

3. By amber on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett please please please please please please do NOT retire!

4. By radzinwisconsin on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

The 2010 SCHEDULE IS THE PROBLEM! WAY TO MANY POTENT DEFENSES TO TOSS THE SILVER FOX AROUND LIKE A RAG DOLL! THANX BRETT FOR 2009 AND BY THE WAY YOU GOT WHAT U WANTED IN BEATING MIKE N TED OR AS SUM SAY DUMB N DUMBER!

5. By Cor-XLVikings ! on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

people,people, first calm down, rumors are such fun, on sep 9th if you see t.j. under center that -might- be a clue, but then how about now brett after the bye week because his team is 1-2. The guy is a competitor and a winner., and it is hard to let that go, I loved last year-every moment and I thank him tremendously, let it be, and let’s just see how it unfolds. When we jump the gun and get all emotional it clouds rational thinking. Let’s be what we preach, TRUE VIKING FANS, let’s support or team with whomever is at ANY position and cheer for them! THAT is our job as loyal fans.

6. By Kelley Reed on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Favre, I have been a long time fan and continue to monitor your career! You are an unbelieveable QB and the Vikings need you as much as you need them! Please don’t throw in the towel!!! Signed: One of your most loyal fans from Indianapolis!!!

7. By Matt on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I think all this retirement talk is B.S., just something to drum up drama. I think we’ll be seeing #4 under center come Sept. 9th in New Orleans…until then Favre-0-palooza will continue.

8. By jim dandy on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

ENJOYING THE FAVRE-ACOASTER RIDE ? DON’T WORRY,HE’LL CHANGE HIS MIND THREE OR FOUR TIMES…….. HIS NAME MUST NOT HAVE APPEARED ON ESPN YESTERDAY.HA HA !!!!! GO SAINTS!!!!!

9. By Skol_Vikings on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I think hes done. I think the Ankle is the problem. Now the suggestion of a pop in after the Bye, thats entierly possible,.

10. By Lito on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Now, how about a 6’6″ 330 lb offensive center or right guard? We will just move the pile? Go purple! if not, Go LA Vikings!

11. By Drew on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Watching Brett throw that INT vs. Saints last season was pretty much the best feeling ever.

GB Packers – 12-4
    CHI Bears – 10-6
    MN Viqueens – 8-8
    DET Lions – 5-11

12. By Craig on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Sign Chad Pennington now!!!!!

13. By JJJ on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

WE WILL SEE FAVRE AGAINEST SEAHAWKS NO QUESTION

14. By Stephanie on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

until I hear an official retirement speech from Brett, I won’t believe it….and even then I might not believe it, lol. if he’s still not playing by the first game, then I’ll believe it. it wouldn’t be a shock if he doesn’t come back b/c of the ankle…but the burning desire to play might sway him more than how his ankle feels.

15. By Dustin on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

1 more year Brett, I think retirtement isn’t an option redemption is the only option. If he plays don’t play every game beginging to the end take turns, if you feel your body can’t take a whole season switch on n off with Jackson help him get better, help the team get better. I personally think one last shot. Brett has the rest of his like to fish and etc……..

16. By Viking's Wife on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett, you are awesome! It was a joy to watch the team last year and we hope you come back (and my husband will be happy). But, if you choose to retire – we thank you! And, it will be excited to see how the team takes it to a new level. I am confident you set the bar very high for these guys. They will not disappoint us. They have something to prove.

17. By purplehorn on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I called Brett myself and he told me that his ankle is bothering him still- so he is seriously thinking about retiring……………………….Here is reality……………I don’t know Brett Favre personally, have no idea how his ankle is doing, and still have no clue if the warrior from Mississippi is gonna come back this year. Until Brett Favre says he is done- and even that could change if his ankle is the issue- I have to believe that he is coming back. September 9th will be bigger than the Green Bay game if he does return- and it will be, in the vernacular of Keith Jackson…”.Whoa Nellie, we have us a barn burner here tonight!”

18. By who dat on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Can’t you icemen see he is afraid. He knows this time the Saint wrecking crew will finish the job.. Bye bye Granpa.

19. By Gridiron fan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Come on Brett- just one more year. You’ve still got it in you. You need to be named MVP of the Super Bowl in 2011. You barely missed it last year. The offensive line will take care of you– esp. against the Saints. They know what 2 expect this year against them and the defensive line will be the Purple People Eaters again. People every where want 2 believe that determination and heart can take you anywhere in this game and in life. You are such an inspiration to do the impossible. People every where believe you can lead this team to the Super Bowl…and win. Your fans are not ready for you to retire yet because they want this next Super Bowl FOR YOU. You’re still phenomenal to watch.

20. By Bigfan1 on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

The media sure got this one wrong. Brett was probably chatting with team mates and something got misconstrued, he’d have to be incapacitated not to play with this Super Bowl bound team.

21. By Gridiron fan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Definitely. The media just ran with their ‘story’ and certainly got everyone’s attention. That was all it was. Brett just wants that ankle healed up.