On what was the hottest day of 2010 Verizon Vikings Training Camp to this point, the Vikings completed an afternoon workout that lasted just short of 2 hours and starred rookie CB Chris Cook. The 2nd-round CB was able to nab 3 INTs during practice and impress spectators and coaches alike.
The Vikings will have 2 practices tomorrow – a morning session from 9:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and then an afternoon workout from 3:00 to 4:55. On Tuesday they’ll hold 2 more practices and Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said there will be a live period in the morning session.
CJ will have more on Cook’s impressive day as well as how Lito Sheppard’s transition is coming along in his 1st year as a Viking. In the meantime, here are a few quick thoughts from today’s practice.
– Going into training camp, I thought CB Lito Sheppard would be the defensive player who would impress me the most. He’s been solid while working with the 1st- and 2nd-team defense, but LB Chad Greenway has been the most impressive to me so far.
– WR Percy Harvin was not practicing Sunday afternoon. He tweaked his ankle on Saturday morning but was then able to practice on Saturday night, so early speculation regarding his absence from Sunday afternoon’s workout was that it was related to the ankle injury. But Childress disclosed that Harvin had a death in the family and that’s the reason for his absence.
– Logan Payne made the highlight play of the day on offense, stretching out in the right corner of the endzone to haul in a TD pass.
– I listened to DE Ray Edwards meet with a few reporters following practice and when asked about his contract situation the 5-year pro explained the issue was behind him and he’s instead focused on football and helping his team achieve the ultimate goal.
– I’ve noticed the Vikings are using a rotation of Toby Gerhart and Albert Young in place of Adrian Peterson when he doesn’t take 1st-team reps. I have not counted every snap, but my guess is Young has more reps so far with the 1st team. A long way to go yet before this position battle is decided.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Albert Young, Chad Greenway, Logan Payne, Percy Harvin, Toby Gerhart
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 32 Comments »