Michael Irvin On Sidney Rice: He Has To Be “The Main Man”

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 7, 2010 – 10:40 am

Hall of Fame WR Jerry Rice and future Hall of Fame WR Cris Carter were invited to Minnesota last summer by Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald, Jr., who has an annual tradition of inviting other young NFL players to train with him in Minnesota during the offseason.

This summer, Fitzgerald – a MN native and graduate of Holy Angels – asked Hall of Fame WR Michael Irvin to drop by the summer workouts to offer his insight into playing football at the highest possible level.

Vikings WR Sidney Rice, who emerged last year as a budding star in the NFL, participated in Fitzgerald’s workouts last summer and said during the team’s mandatory minicamp last month that he would be doing so again this summer.

The Star Tribune’s Chip Scoggins caught up with Irvin while he was in Minnesota to talk, among other things, about Rice and the challenges that are ahead for the 4th-year WR.

“Maintain on a different fear,” Irvin told Scoggins. “The first fear was, ‘I’ve got to prove that I belong. I have to go out and all my workouts [say], I’m going to prove that I belong. Nobody believes in me.’ OK, you’ve proven that. Now, you’ve got to prove that you belong to stay on top. That I am here to stay on top, and that’s a different monster.”

Irvin acknowledged that the presence of talented WRs Bernard Berrian and Percy Harvin will help Rice produce at the level he did last year, but he also maintained that Rice needs to be the Vikings main pass-catching threat.

“But [Rice] still has to be the main man. Here lies the problem. Nobody cares, nobody wants to hear that the safety is rolling over on you. They want to know, why are you not making the same plays? ‘Well, I’m getting double teamed.’ No, we don’t want to hear that.

“Don’t tell us how rocky the waters are. Why are you not docking the ship? That’s all we want to know. If he doesn’t dock the ship, you guys are going to be writing about it and I’m going to be talking about it. The object is to dock the ship. It becomes a little more difficult when you’re the main guy and people are game-planning you.”

Scoggins also discussed Brett Favre with Irvin, so be sure to check out the link I included above. But then get back here to vikings.com.

Tags:

9 Responses to “Michael Irvin On Sidney Rice: He Has To Be “The Main Man””

1. By Rogerthevikefan on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Mike is right but i don’t think rice will just roll over when double teamed he seems like an extremely hard worker who always wants to compete. But still great messege mike.

2. By Pat the Viking on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I beleive in Sidney and he’ll find a way to Dock that Ship Michael Irwin talking about.

GO SIDNEY! GO VIKES!! VIKINGS ALL THE WAY!!!

3. By Tom on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Sidney will play at a high level this season, if Favre is the QB. If not Favre, then his #s will fall off.

4. By VikesFan on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Where are Berrian and Harvin? If they’re not at a better camp than Fitz’s, they should be there too!

5. By Skol_Vikings on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

Berrian and Harvin and Lewis will probably open up if they start DT Rice, so after a few games, all the DTing will go away because the other recievers will be too dangerous as well.

6. By Skol_Vikings on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

if they start to Double Team Rice***

7. By CA Norwegian on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

I’d Prefir it if Cowboys were not on these pages after so many cowpies made their way here for the playoffs. Contrary to Irvin, I do not think Sidney has to be anything. The team has to use all its weapons and remain unpredictable, and we should not have to play into anyones ordained strategy. As long as there is Purple there when the Refs hands go up. (it doesn’t have to be Sidney, It could be T-jack on a scramble. As long as we get the “W.” Were better off turning a deaf ear to Cowboys…

8. By PurplePeopleEater on Jul 7, 2010 | Reply

CA Norwegian – I think the Cowboy, as well as the Cardinal and former Viking who were giving advice to Sidney had no personal agenda in mind. It really sounds as if they all see a lot of potential in #18 and want to pass on their veteran knowledge to a fellow Wide Receiver. It would be ignorant to ignore such expertise for the simple fact of the type of person who is stereotypically within that experts fan-base (in other words, the Cowboy fans are annoying and pompous, but that doesn’t remove any value from the expertise provided).

9. By Carl K on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Sidney is attending the camp this year?? I think he is hurt? Any body know for sure whats up?