Hutchinson Given Top Billing By NFL Network’s Dukes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 6, 2010 – 8:21 am

The NFL Network is doing a “Best in the Biz” series, which will take a look at the league’s best players at every position. The series kicked off on Monday with analyst Jamie Dukes going through his top 5 OL.

As you can tell by the title of this entry, Vikings G Steve Hutchinson was #1 on Dukes’ list. The 7-time Pro Bowler is an appropriate choice for the top of this position group and it’ll be interesting to see how other Vikings, such as DE Jared Allen, QB Brett Favre and RB Adrian Peterson, fare in the Network’s series.

Here is a list of guys who, in my opinion, are worthy of top 5 billing at their position: Allen, Favre, K Ryan Longwell, Peterson, WR Sidney Rice, TE Visanthe Shiancoe, DT Kevin Williams and CB Antoine Winfield. What do you think? Did I leave anyone off this list? Or is there someone on the list who shouldn’t be there? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below this entry.

You can watch the 1st installment of NFL Network’s Best in the Biz series by clicking here.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Hutchinson Given Top Billing By NFL Network’s Dukes”

1. By govikes1 on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Heath Farwell and/or Percy Harvin for special teams players

2. By Travis on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion, Shiancoe doesn’t deserve to be there – top 10 maybe but not top 5. Longwell and Winfield are borderline. However, I am glad you mentioned Rice because I believe he is much better than people give him credit for. Towards the end of last season, every one knew the ball was going to him yet they still couldn’t stop him.

3. By Eugene on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with everyone on this list.

4. By redman21 on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I would have said Bryant McKinnie and EJ Henderson ahead of some of the previously mentioned until the end of last year.

5. By Rogerthevikefan on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Chad greenway and ben leber they are very solid and make very few if any mistakes.

6. By GOLDVIKE on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

E.J. HENDERSON !!!!!!!!!

7. By Lito on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Hutchinson, definitely. Now if we can have the same type of quality player on the right side, the Vikes will be in business. Why is it hard for Vikings management to realize that? If Vikes can’t get a top caliber player like Hutchinson on the right side, then why not a behemoth 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive lineman? Is DeGeare ready for the task?

8. By Tate on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Hutch being in the top five when healthy. Longwell is a great kicker, but he rarely has put up amazing made field goals numbers (mainly due to Favre). Winfield is a very good but not elite especially if he does not recover from his foot injury. Rice is too early to tell since one year can be misleading. Shiancoe has had elite touchdown totals the last two years, but his catch and yardage totals are fairly weak. Allen is elite, however his sacks mainly came against Green Bay’s devastated and young O-Line. Peterson is top five, but he is at the bottom because of his lack of skills in the passing game (grabbing instead of catching the ball and pass protection). Kevin Williams is also elite, but I am curious why his sack totals have lately been low (probably being double-teamed). I believe Favre is borderline top five and just needs to be healthy and get improved protection. Percy Harvin is dark horse for special teams if Jamie Dukes decides to pursue that angle. The remainder of the team (except for S and parts of the OL) is between good and very good making the Vikings a well balanced and formidable team.

9. By Chris on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I think Hutchinson, Allen, Peterson, and Kevin Williams are all easily top five at their position and a very strong case could be made that each is #1 at their position.

Favre is in my opinion tied for 5th with a few of other QB’s, including McNabb and Rivers. Top 5, Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers

Winfield is a bubble top 5…. just like Favre possibly tie’d with a few other CB’s

Rice in my opinion deserves it but i doubt he will get it. Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald I think are the easy #1 and #2. After that I would say Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, Miles Austin, but there are so many good recievers that its hard to pick after Fitzgerald. Austin I am not sure about becuase he came out of nowhere but he was absolutely dominant last year. Rice showed his potential and got better every year until finally breaking out last year and just like Austin he was dominant. No one could stop him.
    Shiancoe i dont think makes it.

2. Jul 6, 2010: The Best, The Surprises, And The Predictions « Purple Pants, Green Jersey
  3. Jul 7, 2010: Vikings Blog