Favre Speaks To Mississippi Newspaper

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on June 24, 2010 – 1:18 pm

In a story posted on the Biloxi Sun Herald’s website, Vikings QB Brett Favre said that he’s still undecided about playing during the upcoming season, but also gave some words of encouragement for those who hope to see him back in a Vikings uniform come this fall for what would be his 20th season in the NFL.

‘‘I would love to go beat the Saints,” Favre told the paper.  “I know I can still play at a high level. Last year was a great year, but it could have been better (winning NFC Championship).’’

The Vikings, of course, open the 2010 season where the 2009 one ended: in New Orleans against the Saints on Thursday, Sept. 9.

Favre also said that his surgically-repaired left ankle is healing on schedule.

The link above also noted that there will be a full interview with Favre in Friday’s print edition of the Sun Herald, and I’m sure the transcript of that will make its way online sooner than later.

UPDATE – Our friends over at the Star Tribune blog ‘Access Vikings’ have gotten a hold of the full interview.  Here it is in its entirety.

—–

—–

By Al Jones

The Sun Herald

BILOXI, Miss. — Whether Brett Favre plays a 20th season in the NFL is still up in the air.

Following an early morning workout on Thursday that included an eight-mile bike ride near his Hattiesburg home with his wife, Deanna, the future Hall of Fame quarterback hinted that a return to Minnesota was possible.

But Favre wouldn’t commit with a direct answer about possible retirement either.

“I’m not saying that,” Favre said. “I just don’t know. I do not want to stir the pot. If it (comment) comes from me, it’s a big deal. At my age, all surgeries are major. The three I’ve had on the same ankle were considered minor, but major to me. It feels fine now. If my body was a wreck, the decision would be made. But that is not the case. I know they (Vikings) want to know.”

Favre added: “Hell, I want to know. But I am not going to press it. If I do not play, it does not cost the Vikings a dime. They keep the $13 million. I know they have confidence in the players they have. They had a chance to draft (Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy) Clausen in the first round, but they didn’t want one.

“I know I can still play at a high level. Last year was a great year, but it could have been better (losing NFC Championship). When (Vikings coach Brad) Childress came to my home a few weeks ago, he told me to take my time. But the team would need to know at some point.”

In his first season with Minnesota, Favre guided the Vikings to a 12-4 record. The Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game in which Favre threw a costly last-minute interception.

Minnesota opens the season on Sept. 9 at the Superdome against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints.

“I would love to go beat the Saints,” Favre said. “I want to win every game that I play. People tell me all the time to go beat the Saints and redeem yourself.

“People said the same thing with Green Bay the year before. It was, ‘You have to go back and beat Green Bay.’ I don’t want to be in my 20th year and hear people say, ‘You have to redeem yourself.’ Like I said, I would love to go beat the Saints. But what if that doesn’t happen?”

The NFC title defeat was the downside for a year as Favre passed for 4,202 yards and seven interceptions. Against New Orleans, Favre suffered an ankle injury, which was surgically repaired last month by Dr. James Andrews.

“It was my best season,” he said. “I’ve had three MVPs and that was not one of them. I know I can still play at a high level. I know I still love to play the game.

“I do know when it’s over, it’s over. I can’t play forever. It’s not like being a dentist or playing golf, I can’t play football forever.”

Favre said his indecision has caused his reluctance to speak publicly on the matter.

“That is why I am staying quiet at this time,” Favre said. “I have people telling me all the time that the NFL is better when I play. That is a big compliment and it makes me feel good. I also have people telling me that when I retire, they are going to stop watching football. I know that’s B.S.”

Posted in All | 47 Comments »

47 Responses to “Favre Speaks To Mississippi Newspaper”

1. By Pat the Viking on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

“‘‘I would love to go beat the Saints,” Favre told the paper ” – I think just about EVERY STARTER for the Vikings should want to “Pay Back” the Saints for last year.

If the Vikings put their hearts and minds into it – they should be able to beat the Saints.

Vikings 27
    Saints 3 Final

In my thoughts for Pay Back -

I would really like to see the Vikings blow them out with a

Vikings 63
    Saints 0 Final

2. By Otis viking fan ! on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

thought you might find this interesting, see you soon ,hope you had a good time. the best viking fan in kansas gary osborn.

3. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Dr. Andrew

4. By OLDSCHOOL on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

HE’S BACKKKKKKKKKK!!! SAINTS…SEPT. 9…..PAYBACK IS A BI$%^!!!!!

5. By Lance on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love Favre!!!!!

6. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

His gonna be 41 and he can go on 8 mile bike ride then give a interview heck i can’t even go for a 2 mile run with out being wiped afterwards he is incredible go FARVE led them vikes

7. By Woodboat on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

He’s coming back. He won’t SAY he’s coming back because then he’d be on the hook for all the OTAs and training camp. If he says he’s undecided, he can blow off all the off season stuff and start when he feels like it without causing a bunch of unrest with his teammates. I have no problem with this at all; if you don’t have to go to training camp to kick arse, why bother, right? Cya in purple on the field again this fall, number 4

8. By Lito on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Dear Vikings Management, Get another huge behemoth 6’6″ 330 lbs offensive lineman to open holes and protect Bret Favre. Is Degeare able to play at a high level? Get another humongous back-up! Put hogs up front.

9. By UBRETT-CHA on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Brett!! You’d better believe the game is much more fun with you in it. I’ve gone “Packer-rogue” just for you, followed you to the Jets, and now to the Vikings. To all my new-found Viking brethren: Skol, Vikings!! Skol, Brett!! Let the ‘Aint’s enjoy their token victory for now. We’ll see come the new season. Let’s go Vikings!!!

10. By innoutburger on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Two months then summers over football begins can’t wait for season opener I wonder how the vikings will setup their offense will they pick up where they left off or will they attack the ground running game only time will tell.

11. By ray on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

I read and artical from (whatifsport) they make preditions from computer.last season they had NFL saints to win superbowl MLB NY to win world series.they got both right.they predict saints to play vikings in metrodome for championship vikings wins 30-27.raven vs vikings in superbowl vikings wins 30-27.this is if favre returns.i hope whatifsport is right.but vikings lose to saints on first game but i hope we beat them down.

12. By Jeremy on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Very promising! That NFC game was horribly called! Had not the whole country been in such a pitty fest for New Orleans, the game would have ended differently. Come back Brett! Just a MN boy living in Dallas/Fort Worth who could’nt stand to deal with the clucking that goes on about the Cowboys! Everyone in football country knows if Favre comes back there’s trouble for everyone in the NFC! Hopefully childress ducktaped a football to Petersons left hand and made him keep it there all off season!

13. By PurplePeopleEater on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

ray – that stat gives many of us good feelings about our team! Keep em coming!

Jeremy – One of the videos I was watching from this site actually showed a good drill they were working on (with Gerhart, but I’m sure all RBs were involved) where the coach would follow the runningback down the field with a rope attached to the ball, giving it a good hard yank every now and then while the back dashed around dummies on the field. If you get guys doing that for 30 minutes a day the fumbling problem should completely disappear this year.

14. By UBRETT-CHA on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Jeremy!! I couldn’t agree more. Everybody focuses on that unfortunate INT, but seem to forget about the disaster in the Red Zone, and also laying it on the ground how many times? C’mon!!!!!!!!!

15. By Sarah on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

I can’t imagine the NFL without you Brett. The most enjoyable thing for the past twenty years has been to watch you play. I love to watch you because you have your heart and soul in it. Not to mention the love you have for your family. I admire you so much for the love you show them. I visited briefly with your mom at one of the games this past season and told her I felt like your other mother at the games.. My heart skips a beat each time you go down and I sigh with relief when you get back up. There will never be anyone like you Brett.
    We will continue to be on that front row to cheer you on, camera in hand taking pictures we hold dear to our hearts. From Packers to Jets and now Vikings we will root you on like thousands of others who love and admire you. It will be another good year. Glad to hear you are doing well. See you in Sept!!

16. By Jesse on Jun 24, 2010 | Reply

We love you brett and anyone who knows the game of football loves you, the NFL is a better place when your in it, i have been watching you play since i was 9 years old i am 21 now and your the reason why i watch football i as well as most would love to see you back but if not then thanks for the memories #4 your the greatest!

17. By Kevin on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Ok.. Let me get this straight… he gets ankle surgury… now he tells everyone he would love revenge on the Saints for the horrible loss. I believe like the rest of the world that #4 is gonna return..

This is the way i seriously see things going down this season,

#1. Brett Favre returns for the 2010 season.

#2. We HUMILIATE the Saints on their home turf 45-3.

#3.The Vikings dominate yet again but this time we have a defense to stop the other team from scoring and we go 16-0.

#4. We dominate the playoffs and win our first Super Bowl against the Ravens, 31-17.

Thats the way i see things playing out this season for the men in purple. SKOL VIKINGS and Good Luck.

18. By heath on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Farve says it’s B.S. that some people will stop watching the nfl after he retires, and that may be true. However, I personally started watching the nfl because he started playing for the Vikings. I have a lot of respect for the guy and I beleive he will be back again this year :)

19. By guest on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

20. By Ryan on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Jets or colts vs vikings for superbowl

21. By Bruce on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Believe it or not Brett, it’s not B.S. you do make the NFL more fun to watch. Just like when many people stopped watching the Tour De France when Armstrong retired, there will be many that will lose some interest in Football.

22. By Robin S. on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Brett, let your ankle heal and then go beat the Saints and win the Super Bowl. I am now a huge Vikings fan because of you! I was born a packer fan but I lost all my respect for them. You are the most awesome, the most exciting, the best to ever play the game! Last year was so much fun to watch! Just please, I hope they protect you this year! We love you Brett and your great Vikings team!

23. By Robin S. on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Brett, you are the greatest! We love football because of you! My husband did tell me that when you do retire, he will not watch football anymore! Please come back this year! We have the huge picture of you in our liviing room, in the Vikings purple of course! We have lots of Brett Favre things! We love you! Everyone i know loves you, friends from all over the states!! Come back!

24. By Rogerthevikefan on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Get big man chester pitts if his knee is right so every d line will fall to the pitt

25. By Andrew P on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m ready for Brett Favre to come back this season, beat New Orleans and lead us to our Super Bowl victory, I’ve got my Vikings room set up all perfectly for this season, now all I will need is the picture to hang on the wall of Brett hoisting up the Super Bowl trophy with the rest of the Vikings, GO VIKINGS!!!!

26. By Bryan on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE!!!!!!! It’s hard to belive I hated this guy 3 years ago, now he’s my stud. C’mon back hoss!!!!

27. By meswant on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

Football is better with Favre in the game, no b.s. about it!!! Come back & lets kick some a$$!!!

28. By UBRETT-CHA on Jun 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you, Andrew P. Just the thought of Brett and the rest of the Vikings holding that Lombardi trophy gets me all choked-up and misty!!

29. By Les on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

be nice to get someone in mc kinneys spot who can block. briant is big but people just run around him like hes planted in one spot. favre is great, but we have to protect him. look what our alternative is, scrub tavarous. jackson needs to go

30. By carl k on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Favre sure looks good in purple! I hope he comes back. He still playes like a kid… I love his enthusiasm and he still has a rocket for an arm! 1 more run Brett. 1 more run. 1 more superbowl to that story book career.

31. By purplehorn on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Everyone

Everyone continues to believe that Favre needs his ego stroked in order to decide each year to come back or not. I think it really is something he struggles with because he does love the game and enjoys the camaraderie, but he also loves his family and doesn’t want to be away from them. I believe that about him. What “redemption” or accolades could he possibly need? That just isn’t it. It’s more like that scent that gets in the air each Fall when hunting season comes around and you just know that twelve point buck is out there somewhere. When Fall comes around, Favre gets into the hunt again. He has nothing to prove and nobody to redeem his career for. Just hope I get to see him play one more year and help guide the Vikings to that elusive twelve point buck!

32. By Lorne Jamison on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

I hope he comes back just to throw an interception in the nfc final and give the packers the win history will repeat itself

33. By Lorne Jamison on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

I sure hope he comes back just to throw an interception in the NFC final and give the Packers the win History will repeat itself Viking fans quit living the dream Farve is a Packer and always will be

34. By purple08 on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

Just retire you b um! You are the most overrated player in nfl history. If the Vikings win it will be because of their defense and the run game. Favre is along for a free ride. Up yours Brett, you s tink! You suc ked as a Packer and you will always s uck! 1 superbowl ring! woooooo! Same as Brad Johnson! HAHA! I would take Brad Johnson over Favre in a heartbeat! Packer fans are almost as stupi d as Cowboy fans!

35. By PurplePeopleEater on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Almost? Sounds like a huge compliment to someone who wears coagulated milk as a hat!

36. By CA Norwegian on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Packers fans should get Packing. Go talk to your kindred on your site. If Brett can be protected by the league, whiich he seems to make much more interesting.(from the NFL network).. Then he will spearhead the Putplr into a Superbowl victory. Ane that will be greater than anything Yellow that has ever happened to Brett. Brett = Tons of Fun + Ounces of Mistakes.

37. By purple08 on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Rogerthevikefan, oh my god! Favre can go on an 8 mile bike ride and then still have the energy to talk? WOW! He is so amazing. Imagine that? 41 years old and can still ride a bicycle for 45 minutes and then still have enough energy to give an interview!! Amazing! This is what I am talking abot people. Roger…you are an idiot! Don’t you think calling him incredible for doing something so simple is a little ridiculous? I guess Favre’s poop don’t stink either! From what I read on this blog, apparently many of you don’t think it does.

38. By Amer S on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

I know for a fact that the only reason I watch the NFL is because of Favre. I grew up watching him. Still remember him beating my home state of Alabama with an 8 min drive in the fourth. That’s y we love favre. I have gotten directvs Sunday ticket just for watching him. Do I need to sign up again since favre oaths only reason I had that? Well if he returns, directv needs to give favre some of the share because IT IS A LEAGUE ABOUT HIM AND HE DOES AMAZE!!!

39. By purple08 on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

1 superbowl ring…pretty amazing. Whatever. “it is a league about him?” What does that even mean? Go back to Alabama you hillbilly.

40. By UBRETT-CHA on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey, purple08. I’m surprised that you can drag your knuckles up to the key-board, let alone type. The only thing that stinks here is you. You must be an AFC fan–’nuff said.

41. By PurplePeopleEater on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Everyone, just ignore purple08. She is someone who only comes in here to create controversy and loves to pick a fight. Chances are she doesn’t even believe most of the things she says. Replying to her is only telling her that her tactic is working and encouraging her to continue on.

Don’t let her fool you into a moronic battle. As the quote goes: “Don’t argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

42. By purple08 on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Awww! Listen to all the little brett farve lovers getting upset because someone disagrees with their opinions. Why don’t you clowns write him a letter to express your love instead of making the rest of us read your misguided drivel.

43. By Springs on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Let the soap opera begin

44. By Springs on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Waterboard Brett and get an answer from him

45. By Patrick.Beeman on Jun 30, 2010 | Reply

i would like the vikings to pick up a couple free agents in the market like trell owens favre and owens would be awsome or sign brian westbrook would be good too i know our receiving core is solid but a few vetrans would help

46. By Lynette on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Brett whatever you decide just put you first. Obviously, you can joke around with your decisions in the past with the commercials which were hilarious. I hated the Packers with everything inside me because YOU were so good. Now as a VIKING I love watching you bring our team to the level for which you play at, because you LOVE the game. The fame and money I’m sure are not bad but in you people can see the genuine man with a love for the game and a respect for the game. Maybe LeBron could take some clues in your CLASSroom. Anyway, I hope to see #4 on the field (from my tv) and if you do choose not to come back I will still be wearing my #4 because for this life long VIKING fan you changed the team. Take Care, Lynette

2. Jun 26, 2010: Brett Favre “To Return or Not To Return” « Fantasy Football League Insights