Q&A With Toby Gerhart

Posted by Mike Wobschall on June 9, 2010 – 11:20 am

Thanks to everyone who submitted questions and emailed questions for RB Tony Gerhart. I was able to chat with him in the locker room over lunchtime to ask him your questions and I’ll include the complete Q&A in this entry.

It’ll be a hectic time for the former Stanford RB over the next month or so. He completed his last final exam on Tuesday, took a red eye flight to Minneapolis last night, is getting caught up as much as possible now and will participate in minicamp this weekend. He also will fly back to Stanford for graduation ceremonies, then return to Winter Park for the offseason program and then head to the annual NFL Rookie Symposium later this month.

That’s a lot for a young NFL player to go through, but after chatting with him at the NFL Scouting Combine in February and then this morning, it’s clear to me that he can handle it all.

Without further ado, here is the Q&A…

What are your personal goals for the season?
“To find a way to contribute and get on the field to help this team win. And to win a Super Bowl.”

Will you be able to catch up with the offense before training camp?
“Oh yeah, I think so. (RBs) Coach (Eric) Bieniemy and I are meeting quite a bit right now and he’s doing a great job of getting me up to speed. It’ll take a lot of work and I know it won’t all happen fast, but there’s a great offensive staff here and I’m looking forward to diving right in and learning as much as I can.”

How would you describe your running style?
“Physical and deceptive. I think I’m faster and shiftier than most people realize.”

What are you most looking forward to about playing with the Vikings?
“Getting into the stadium and playing in front of the fans. I’m told that we have the most passionate fan base and I think it’s fun to play for fans like that. It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NFL and I’m looking forward to getting that chance.”

Who do you think will win the World Cup?
“Wow, that’s a good and random question. I obviously hope the U.S. wins it. I’m looking forward to their game on Saturday.”

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Q&A With Toby Gerhart”

1. By MGR4FUN on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

i like the way the young man keeps it all inside his helmet … humility is a very admirable quality in such a fine athlete … this young man will be a gr8 addition to the purple tradition of pride and character

2. By Lito on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

I wish Vikes would get another dominating right offensive guard/ center lineman and trade Edwards for Haynesworth. Griffin and Robison are capable of stepping up if Ray Edwards underperforms.

3. By Randy Harris on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Gerhart,

I had the pleasure of watching you play at Norco High school with my nephew Cameron Harris . I graduated in 1978 from Norco and wish you all the success that your hard work has earned you. We Are NORCO ! ! ! ! !

4. By Goody on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ve purchased my Vikings Gerhart Jersey No 32. The family will be in San Francisco on Aug. 22nd. because the Vikings are coming to California. Have the tickets and hotel reserved, time to celebrate and have a great time! Toby’s the real deal, you rarely see a running back help a team the way he has when called upon. It’s been a blast to watch him play at NHS and Stanford. Toby has had some good lineman, and the Viking line is excellent as well, but Toby’s extra effort and perseverance to succeed is second to none. The Fans are in for a real treat once this one learns the offence. Good Luck Toby we wish you the best!

5. By carl k on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Gehart in preseason. I hope he stays health and get plenty of work. Toby has put up some unbelievable numbers in HS and college. He will be fun to watch.

6. By kbonez on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know much about Toby? The big question that I have is can he protect, Favre will need the assurance that Chester gave him. Make us proud to see you on the field. Long live the mighty PURPLE.

7. By radzinwisconsin on Jun 9, 2010 | Reply

Time to study on what you really like!

8. By Dr. T. on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Been waiting a long time to see some old fashioned pounding. Welcome Toby, looking forward to a great season. You’re gonna have fun. Vikings fans bleed purple. You’ll enjoy playing as a Vike.

9. By radzinwisconsin on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Have a most bloody jersey count challenge with Adrian he would love it! Pound that rock and keep # 4s job as easy as you can for him in the huddle and your numbers are going to be fantastic!

10. By Gatoraide on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

The worst thing Toby said in the whole interview as ONE word…”Bienemy”.

The RB coach is total self destruction for the Viking running game. Where in the world they came up with that dude, God only knows. No wonder we lopst Chester to the Bears!

11. By RoosterVike on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Gatoraide,

I don’t think its the running back coach’s fault for AP’s decrease in yardage. The oline sucked in run blocking last year. They must get better at that to win it all!

12. By Ricky on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Gerhart will be a great addition to the team. We have been fortunate with our recent offensive draft picks. kudos to the triangle for that. All Day, then Percy Harvin, and Now Toby Gerhart. a great youth in the starting positions.

It will be a memorable 50th year for The Minnesota Vikings. SKOL

13. By DAN REHOME on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

Welcome aboard Toby G. We Bleed Purple here in Viking Country.
    Embrace the Purple Pride and you will create Golden Memories.
    Skol Vikes #32…and if your family would like to join us here at the Inland Empire Viking Club in REDLANDS,CA. They are most wwelcome to do so.We gather on
    Viking Gamedays to root,cheer,and support the Viking Organization.
    Dan”Danimal”Rehome
    Prez.,IEVC

14. By R. Douglas Yarbrough on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations to Toby on striving to finish a dream. I have seen Toby at Norco, Watched his Stanford Career and am looking forward to his NFL Career. Go Toby!!!! Your foundation is solid and Now it’s Time to shine with thepurple and gold. Show them what NORCO footbll brings to the big leagues
    Mr.Y, Norco High