Williams, Other Veterans “Get The Wheels Going Again” During OTA #5

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 24, 2010 – 1:35 pm

The Vikings have wrapped up their on-field workout on Monday afternoon at Winter Park as they kickoff their 2nd week of OTAs. Monday’s session was OTA #5 and after experiencing ideal weather conditions last week the team experienced hot temperatures, heavy sunshine and a strong breeze to begin this week.

The weather conditions plus the presence of so many veterans made Monday’s workout feel more like a training camp practice down in Mankato on a hot August afternoon than a spring-time OTA.

Several veterans who didn’t participate last week were on the field Monday, including Pro Bowlers Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie and Kevin Williams.

I caught up with Williams after Monday’s practice and asked him what a typical veteran’s mindset is during OTAs.

“Just want to get the wheels going again,” Williams said. “A lot of the work that we do during OTAs is work we’ve done before and we just want to get the wheels in motion and get the muscle memory active.”

With the OTAs being voluntary and many of the Vikings starters being established veterans, I asked Williams what drives some of the veterans to be here anyway.

“I think being successful last year has a lot to do with it,” he said. “I think people have the itch to get going again. I guess I won’t speak for anyone else, but I will speak for myself and say I’m anxious to get going again and work towards our team goals.”

I’ll be back soon with more observations from OTA #5 so be sure to stay tuned to vikings.com…

Tags:

6 Responses to “Williams, Other Veterans “Get The Wheels Going Again” During OTA #5”

1. By Pat the Viking on May 24, 2010 | Reply

It was very great of these guys – Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie and Kevin Williams to be there.

2. By Arrowhead on May 24, 2010 | Reply

good thing he won’t be suspended

3. By OLD SCHOOL on May 24, 2010 | Reply

My thing on the suspension is this, as long as the appeal will take them into the off season, not as far as the end of the season and then see them get nailed for the 4 games they are going to get from the NFL if the appeal doesn’t go their way! I would rather get the 4 games over with on the front end of the schedule not the back end or during the playoffs! That would just kill us!

4. By Union Grip on May 24, 2010 | Reply

n my experience working under collective bargaining agreements in the entertainment industry, STATES LAW REPLACES THE CBA. I have done touring rock shows and feature films that crossed state lines, and despite our union contracts we had to educate ourselves on the local state labor laws and abide by them. If the NFL wins it’s argument that a collective bargaining agreement means state labor protection laws no longer apply, it will be a sad day for America indeed. Let’s face it, if unions were perfect and company policies infallible, there would be no state by state labor law in the first place. And I see challenging a state labor law in federal court at all as a violation of the State of Minnesota’s rights under federal law to govern it’s own population.

5. By PurplePeopleEater on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Very good point Union Grip. How can it be legal for a Union, or any entity for that matter, decide to overrule laws of their choice? And, for further argument, even if they are allowed to do this, why are they allowed to be inconsistent with their decisions? I just learned that Will Smith of the Saints tested positive for the same diuretic at the same time the Williamses did, but the league (Roger Goodell that is) has decided not to punish him at all. I’m sure there are plenty of other cases of the exact same nature that were completely ignored, so why does the league have any right to select these two guys out of the bunch and punish the entire team?

6. By PurplePeopleEater on May 25, 2010 | Reply

On a positive note, it’s great to hear that Kevin, among others is so excited to get back into the swing of things. It’s very good to see McKinnie getting in there too. After the troubles at the end of the season and being banned from the Pro-Bowl, many of us were getting very worried about what kind of player he was becoming. This is a good step in the right direction. Let’s hope he puts forth all his efforts towards his skills on protecting the QB and opening holes for the running game so that he returns to Pro-Bowl quality, and stays there throughout the season and the playoffs.