OTA #2 Concludes; Childress, Jackson And Webb Address Reporters

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 19, 2010 – 12:09 pm

The Vikings have concluded their 2nd OTA of the week and had another day of ideal weather conditions, practicing for approximately 90 minutes again on the outdoor fields at Winter Park. A few of the veterans who participated on Tuesday were not participating Wednesday, but by and large it was a similar group of players and a similar practice format.

Wednesday’s practice was also open to the media and Head Coach Brad Childress met with reporters following the workout, so we’ll have reaction from Childress as well as highlights from practice posted on the site this afternoon.

Reporters were able to speak with players as they walked off the field following practice and the most popular interviews included QBs Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels and rookie Joe Webb. Each player was surrounded by reporters and cameras following the workout.

Webb of course was the Vikings 6th round pick (#199 overall) in last month’s draft and has experience playing both QB and WR at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. The Vikings drafted Webb because of his versatility and supreme athleticism and left open the possibility of him playing both/either positions in the NFL. Following rookie minicamp, Webb expressed optimism that he would be able to take some reps at QB as the offseason program moved forward.

And that’s exactly what he was doing during Wednesday’s practice. When asked about taking snaps at QB during OTAs, Webb, who wears jersey #14, said “it felt great to be back under center” after playing a lot of WR in college and that both offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and QBs coach Kevin Rogers have been doing a great job with him as he focuses on mechanics.

When asked what he preferred between QB and WR, Webb gave the diplomatic (and appropriate) answer of saying he’d work on whatever it is the coaches asked.

Much of the discussion with Jackson centered on QB Brett Favre and his pending return to the club. Favre is under contract for 2010 and hasn’t announced his retirement, but that hasn’t stopped speculation about his future. Jackson said he had a gut feeling about what Favre’s decision would be for 2010 but declined to share it with reporters. Jackson did say, however, that he felt he learned a lot from Favre during the 2009 season and that he’s exchanged text messages a couple of times with the future Hall of Famer.

We’ll have more from OTA #2 this afternoon, so stay tuned to vikings.com today and the rest of the week.

Tags: ,

24 Responses to “OTA #2 Concludes; Childress, Jackson And Webb Address Reporters”

1. By mrjholloway on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I really hope Tarvaris gets his opprotunity. I mean if you look at it he came to the Vikings and we didn’t have a offense at all. The wide outs were not running the routes the way they needed to be ran in the west coast offense either. Then Farve comes in and changes that, not the coaches but Farve. So i think now the car is tuned up and Tarvaris has gotten a chance to sit in the passenger seat and watch how it should be driven i think he will be fine. If Araon rodgers came to the packers expected to turn the offense around i think he would have seen similar results to what Tarvaris has seen. But rodgers came to a team already tuned up and sat back and watched how to drive it. So driving it is now not a proble. I think rodgers and Tarvaris are very similar in a lot of areas and it will be interesting to see the two compete against each other. TJ also brings a scrambling dimension to the qb postion. All last year players didn’t give it a thought because Farve doesn’t run especially on the final offensive play and all the penalties from going over the line of scrimage. There wasn’t even a guy near the line of scrimage for about 15 yards TJ picks up the first down with his legs in those situations. Not to say he’s a better qb but gives us a dimension farve doesn’t give and i think he does have talent and now that the car is tuned up confidence to take us back to the NFC championship and then some. @mrjholloway

2. By ChaoticVike on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree with you Holloway. I think once TJack get’s the opportunity to run the offense with all of the Vikes weapons (Berrian, Rice, Harvin, Shank, All Day) healthy and with a year under their belts working with The Man, The Myth, The Legend, he’s going to do a great job. I’ve always liked what TJack was able do, it just needed to be refined.

3. By Chris on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I want to see what Jackson can do with the offense as well.
    This will be his fifth season in the system.
    If not this year, then next but he should get a shot after favre is done. Favre is our best shot to win now.

4. By matt on May 19, 2010 | Reply

i really hope the vikings are able to draft a qb for the future. Jackson cant take the vikings anywhere.

5. By frank on May 19, 2010 | Reply

t-jack is a going to really help the vikings if he plays. He has a great arm and his accuracy has been refined. under Favre, he’s learned things about the game and about how to be a leader. Also, he has nice wheels for a quarterback. A nice metrodome quarterback in my opinion.

6. By govikes1 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen every snap from this kid since he was drafted. T Jack has barely started the equivalent of a full season and played in one playoff game. When he’s played, when they let him air it out he really plays well. In fact for the stretch he was really throwing it well I recall the very first play of every game it seemed like the ran play action and went deep. When Chili called a conservative game the opposing defense keys heavy on the run and he struggles to move the offense. Kid’s got talent. This deal is as much about play calling as it is about his ability.

7. By Fontana Al on May 19, 2010 | Reply

It’s nice to see some positive feefdback concerning TJack I think he has what it takes also.I enjoyed Farve last year and where he took the team,but that last pass made no sense in the NFC Championship.I still can’t believe it.Two NFC Championship games in three years, two game changing int’s.I am a life long Viking fan since 1969 so it took me a little time to warm up to Brett and I was concern about the int’s,but he was incredible in the regular season only to lose his mind on the brink of the Super Bowl,still hurts.It’s so hard to get that far.Back to TJack I would venture to say alot of his critics don’t want to see him suceed kinda like the OBAMA thing if you know what I mean.He can do no right.I am a true Viking fan whatever gets us there who ever gets us there I am for it.

8. By purplehorn on May 19, 2010 | Reply

The tendency with football is to love em when they play well and scream cut em when they don’t. How many Packer fans have been telling us to cut A.P. because of fumbles? Are you kidding me? Fools. The same can be said for even Favre. He leads the team to the Championship, but people just remember the interception. These guys aren’t perfect, but we always expect perfection. T-Jack has an up side or he wouldn’t be on this team. I’ll take this team, warts and all. We have an even better team this year if everyone pulls together and stays healthy. I’m still pulling for EJ to make it back. Let’s roll Vikings. Can’t wait for the fall and Sept. 9!

9. By carl on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I like T-jack…I agree I want to see what he can do. However, I don’t think he can stay healthy for a full season. I need to see some grit and toughness from him this preseason. T-Jack out played Gus, Sage and all the other Viking QBs but he can’t seem to stay on the field long enough to take the job and win over the fans, the team, and coaches.

10. By Pat the Viking on May 19, 2010 | Reply

To play QB in the NFL and succeed, You have to have the Guts of a Lion and the Heart of a Bull.

11. By C on May 19, 2010 | Reply

You have got to be kidding me people. The Vikings wasted their time trying to make him a #1 qb when he clearly isn’t. Ride the pine another season, and after Brett retires, start all over.

12. By matt on May 19, 2010 | Reply

race has nothing to do with with anything. All ive seen is a guy who; when the pressure is on, chokes everytime. I hope he does prove me wrong. because i would love to see a superbowl victory, but i just don’t see him getting the job down.

13. By matt on May 19, 2010 | Reply

couldn’t have said it better myself C.

14. By Gordos1966 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Thats the same load everyone said about Vince Young, and he came in and played great. I don’t think you (matt and C) have ever givin Tjack a true chance. Tjack was most likely to be a first year starter last year, if they would have had a good Vet QB in the first place. But that didn’t happen. If you take a look around the league (and you don’t have to look far) like A. Rodgers he got to sit behind a great QB for at least 3 years. now everyones talking about how great he is (NFL Network & ESPN) Now given that same chance Tjack would be just as good in most peoples eye’s, Probably better, he’s on the Vike’s a better team. All I’m saying is the kid has had it bad from the first year on. Who knew Brad Johnson was gonna stink it up so bad. And then there was Frerotte…Not as bad, and he got us there. But no fun to watch. I almost want Favre not to come back. I wanna ware my #7 Jersey I bought two years ago! Skol Vikes!!!!

15. By matt on May 20, 2010 | Reply

You almost want favre not to come back? Oh my god, are you serious? Favre can play circles around jackson at 41. With favre, the vikings are a super bowl caliber team. Without favre however, they are at best a one and done wildcard team at best sadly, and im being very nice. Like in most games where pressure is placed on jackson. He will fall on his face.

16. By DrAJReed on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I feel as if there is an underlying, deeper hatred for #7. He is NO Favre. Better yet, no one is. But the kid has never really had a true chance. “19 is enough”? He has a 10-9 record in 19 starts. People talk about him as if he’s Leaf or something. His win% is better than Cutler, Cassel, and Alex Smith. People talk of him as if he was a 1st Rd pick that held out and made money like Russell. #7 never made more than 600K in a season. No matter the strides, he’s somehow seems to be the worst QB in the league, if not ever. Say what you want, he at least has a playoff appearance on his resume. There are tons of QBs that haven’t ever made the playoffs yet, but are better. People think Booty and Sage are better. If the guy sucks so badly, then just cut him.

17. By reality Check on May 20, 2010 | Reply

You guys must be talking about Michael Jackson under center, I can not beleive it, Tavaris who! If Favre doesn’t come back we won’t even make it to the playoffs, in 2008 our division was weak so Tjack and the guys won some with the conservative Catholic School boy football strategy, hoewever so many teams and coaches have improved this year and had it not been far Mr. Brett Favre the vikings in general would not have been this good. All of our wide outs finally excelled because they had the best QB vikings have ever had throwing the ball.

Lets get real here guys, Favre’s coming back for one more shot, and after that Tjack and Rosenfel can compete with a rookie. And by the way Sage is better than Tjack.

18. By the horned norseman on May 20, 2010 | Reply

first off: hoping favre DOES come back for 2010;..second:def NOT a t-jack hater.matter of fact, if the vikes DO have to put him in,i truly hope he shows all that he IS that good(check his stats;not too shabby eh?) ’cause i believe he’s gettin a(n un-deserved ) raw deal dissin’ on this blog…constantly. And ‘c': sage isn’t better,…maybe AS good as t-jack,MAYBE,but not better.Who knows,…maybe favre goes down(heaven forbid!) & they put webb in & HE shines. Doesn’t really matter to me who’s under center as long as the vikes WIN!!…AND THEY WILL!!! so,..when’s football season startin’ already!!??SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

19. By Vikefan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

@reality check. Sage is not bettr then TJ. Sage couldn’t even out perform TJ. Why do you think he was a 3rd string bacup. Obviously TJ has more talent and is way better. I see the cutting Sage if not this year, next year. Plus TJ has all the abiity to be an nfl qb. He justs nneeds to be given a chance to play a whole season.

20. By carl on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I hope Favre comes back! Tjack is a quality #2 QB. I think Sage could get cut if Favre comes back. I can’t wait to see Joe Webb in the preseason. I would like to see more of the wildcat. The media talked about it alot last year in camp but we didn’t see much of it at all during the season.

21. By Sean on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Bret played fantastic last year. But when you look at the schedule he went up against last year compared to this year, wow. Our away schedule has the Jets, not the rams. The patriots, not the browns etc. If bret does not come back it will not be a fair comparison to last year. Pretty favorable last year. With TJ and sage we are going to be a below average team against this schedule. I will be keeping an eye on the teams morale if things get off to a rough start and they have to grind out wins at the end of the year and not start off so great like last year. From what i have seen with the passive free agent signings and oppurtunities i have a feeling there is a sense of “we were good last year we should be the same this year attitude” instead of we came up short last year what are we doing to improve going forward.

22. By Fontana Al on May 21, 2010 | Reply

To Matt and C
    Tavaris started 2 games his rookie season the last 2 of 2006.In 2007 he started 12 games and got hurt twic. In 2008 he started 5 games and was pulled after a game two loss to Indy after Shanicoe drop a game winning touchdown in the endzone.Then he came back to win 3 of the last 4 games to get us in the playoffs.So over a 4 year period he has started a total of 19 games out of a possible 64,16 of which Brett started.So where is all these chances you speak of.I still say after reading alot of previous comment over the years about his intelligence and other insulting things those people appear to be racist to me.

23. By matt on May 24, 2010 | Reply

hahaha, your funny fontana al. so people like me who say jackson will never be a great qb are racists? If that is true, then most people on espn and the nfl network must be racists. It seems to me that people who put so much emphasis on his race and can only come up with the argument of “oh you dont think he can be good because he’s black” are the real racists. you guys seem to be only looking at the color of his skin and not his skills as a qb. I’ll admit he has gotten a little better, but the time table for a NFL qb is 3 years. Jackson hasn’t shown any major improvement to indicate that he can be the future of the vikings. It is time to dump jackson and try again with another qb.

24. By matt on May 24, 2010 | Reply

i hope he can prove me wrong, but i sure as heck dont see any indication that im wrong about him.