Observations From OTA #1

Posted by Mike Wobschall on May 18, 2010 – 1:51 pm

It was a welcome sight to see the Vikings back out on the practice fields at Winter Park Tuesday afternoon, as the disappointing end to the 2009 season fades in the rear view mirror (it will never completely go away) and the upcoming 2010 season continues to approach. The team spent about 90 minutes on the outdoor practice fields and enjoyed weather conditions that yielded a favorable teaching environment.

After warm-up exercises, the team quickly moved into a bevy of special teams drills that focused almost exclusively on fundamentals. Following the special teams work the players were split into offense and defense, which allowed the coaches to work on individual and positional drills as well as group work.

A key component of these OTAs is that there is no contact permitted – by NFL rules – so the activities can at times be slightly different than they are during minicamp, training camp and in-season practices. But plenty of work gets done nonetheless.

Here are a few observations I had from Day 1 of OTAs at Winter Park…

– As I stated above, much of the work on Tuesday focused on fundamentals, such as footwork and positioning. But I also noticed that defensive and special teams coaches were emphasizing attacking the football as well as proper tackling technique. Several of the drills required the players to try and rake the football from the ball carrier’s (tackling dummy’s) possession. Many of the tackling dummies have an apparatus with a football attached to it, so players can practice stripping or swatting the ball as they attack the dummy.

– There were a handful of veteran players participating on the field, but obviously the majority of players are rookies and young players. Essentially, many of the guys are still college players who are now going through their first NFL practices. According to my count, there were 25 players on the field during Tuesday’s workout who were 23 years of age or younger. The Vikings coaching staff has 241 combined seasons of college coaching experience, so they are well-equipped to coach up these young players and help them transition from college players to professional players.

– This is the 5th offseason now that I’ve watched QB Tarvaris Jackson practice and his arm strength continues to stand out. He has a zip on the ball that you just don’t see from 90% of the QB population. When receivers or backs come out of their routes, the ball is on them and it’s on them fast.

– Old habits die hard…I noticed right away while watching the WR group that Darius Reynaud wasn’t on the field. Then I quickly remembered he’s now a RB, so I glanced over at that group and found him. Reynaud of course now wears jersey number 27, so it was an odd site at first to see the shifty Reynaud with a different jersey number.

– There were several impressive plays made by players during the 90-minute practice session, but one that stood out to me was a connection between a pair of rookies – QB R.J. Archer and TE Mickey Shuler. Archer, an undrafted passer out of William & Mary, pump faked to Shuler. The former Penn State TE, drafted in the 7th round last month, then continued his route up the left seam and leaped to catch a floater from Archer. Shuler came down with the ball and sprinted up field.

They Said It

“Come on, let’s go! On the jump!” – Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress barked this out as his team moved from one period of practice to the next.

“Head and shoulders on the bob!” – DL coach Karl Dunbar instructed his players to exaggerate their movements as they practiced swim and rip moves against a tackling dummy.

“Finish! Finish! Finish! Finish!” – RBs coach Eric Bieniemy can be heard screaming this during every practice as he demands his players finish every practice play by sprinting toward the endzone.

9 Responses to “Observations From OTA #1”

1. By Marshall on May 18, 2010 | Reply

We seem to be overloaded at RB. Does Albert Young or Ian Johnson get the hook?

2. By JD on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the observations! Any new undrafted kickers/punters trying out for the team?

3. By carl on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Ian got cut last year. I think Reynaud has more special teams and over all value than Albert Young. I can’t see Albert making this team after we drafted Toby Gerhart.

4. By Pat the Viking on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I love the smell of FOOTBALL in the air !

OTA, Mini-Camp, Training Camp, Pre-season, Season, Playoffs, NFC Championship & SUPER BOWL !!!

5. By foolish on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m very happy that football is movin again but my excitement was short lived when I found out that there is still no love for the VIKINGS and keeping them in minnesota by state legleslate the final year of their lease! This is what we have running our state??this is what I heard is let’s let one of the states biggest assets leave we don’t need the money or jobs. Is this the way the rest of the people in minnesota feel!!! I don’t think so. Yes there are mixed feelings all over the state about how to pay for it but everyone agrees that it meeds to get done. To top it all off there’s cash on the table to pay cost for a long time and the only thing they can say we don’t want the extra gambling so we drive to the casino because WE WONT HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM ANYMORE!!!!!! So my statement to the people we put there to speek for us. Use the slots get the ball movin and build it get it done so we don’t lose our BELOVED VIKINGS!!!b!

6. By purplehorn on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Big Pat is probably sayin, don’t rush the summer. Summertime….and the livin is easy, catfish are jumpin. You get the picture. Soon enough the Vikings veterans can think about banging bodies…..but for now……summertime……

7. By mike on May 18, 2010 | Reply

i hope favre invites the reciever corps to a weekend throw around ro remove a lil rust and get their minds right

8. By allen on May 19, 2010 | Reply

If Robert Kraft can pay for the Patriots stadium why can’t the Wilfs pay for the Vikings stadium. With all the rich partners they have combined with all their money I just don’t see why they can’t pay for a stadium for the team they own and keep the Vikings in Minnesota where they belong. One of the most storied franchises in football the Vikings need to stay where they are at. Just saying the words L. A Vikings makes me sick to my stomach. But i guess the Twins and the Gophers are more important than the Vikings as far as the state legislature is concerned. It’s just a shame the way this issue has turned out and i hope the Vikings can stay in Minnesota where they belong.

9. By radzinwisconsin on May 19, 2010 | Reply