Fresh Start For Perrilloux

Posted by cjsiewert on April 30, 2010 – 4:42 pm

Vikings rookie QB Ryan Perrilloux has dealt with a lot of adversity throughout his life and specifically pertaining to his collegiate football career.  As one of the top QB prospects coming out of high school, a lot was expected from him when he committed to play at LSU.  After some off-field transgressions, Perrilloux decided to transfer to Jacksonville State in 2008 to have an opportunity to be the starting QB for the Gamecocks.

The transfer to Jacksonville State gave Perrilloux a new perspective on the game of football but what he experienced today may perhaps be the freshest of new beginnings for the rookie QB.

“This is a new start, Minnesota giving me an opportunity to come out here and start fresh, and I just want to thank them for that,” Perrilloux said when asked about regrouping after the issues he dealt with during college.  “I’m just thankful for the opportunity to be a Viking and be in the position that I’m in.”

Perrilloux also spoke to QB Brett Favre before he came to Winter Park for the 3-day rookie minicamp.

“Mainly we just talked about just coming up here and getting ready for minicamp and what to expect up here in Minnesota.”  Although Favre didn’t tip his hand as to what he was planning on for the 2010 season, he did offer the rookie QB a few pointers on what to expect.  “He mainly just told me to come up here and just be myself and get in my book and just study.”

Although Perrilloux’s past has raised a few question marks on his maturity, head coach Brad Childress prefers to look to the future when evaluating players.

“I find him to be a humble kid here and I’m not judging him for backwards, I’m judging him going forwards,” Chidress said.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 25 Comments »

25 Responses to “Fresh Start For Perrilloux”

1. By Lito on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Allow all players in different positions compete. May the best man win. In my view, if Vikes need to win the Super Bowl, they have to dominate the offensive and defensive lines. Good luck Vikings!

2. By Paul M on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Ryan Perrilloux was already a natural in the Purple & Gold of LSU and can do the same wearing the Purple & Gold of the Minnesota Vikings. Way to go Vikings – I LOVE THIS NO-RISK MOVE – THERE’S ONLY UPSIDE !!

Look at it this way – some people see a chess board, and can just figure it all out – some people see a piano keyboard, and “ditto” – show some people a math equation and they “get it”. This is how this kid is when you put a defense in front of him on a football field. JUST GIVE HIM GOOD COACHING; MENTORING AND SOME TIME TO MARINATE IN HIS SECOND CHANCE AT A GREAT LIFE !

I will post it again – Dez Bryant / Cowboys – MOVE OVER! – WITH ONLY A LITTLE BIT OF LUCK, THIS MAY JUST BE THE STEAL OF 2010 ! This kid has all the tools – and then some.

If Dallas is spending so much on Bryant, with HIS questionable character, then the Vikings are definitely on the right track with Perrilloux. We’ve done very well with the young men we’ve given a second chance to – to put some youthful indiscretions behind them i.e. Randy Moss and Percy Harvin.

Let there be no mis-understandings here – Perrilloux has the potential to be just as great! WHAT A STEAL THIS MAY BECOME!

3. By Ben S, on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

So do you think he has a chance to make to team actually?

4. By MGR4FUN on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

this young man has all the skills to be the qb of the future and cause the entire NFL to literally forget about sam / tim / jimmy & colt … only time will tell if he is willing to apply himself to the purple way of life … young man is a competitor and dang sure not a quitter … will be a long hard road but what an excellent opportunity … he has proven he can play football now can he play viking football … with some very good coachin and mentorin will be very interestin to watch … one can only speculate what is goin through this young mans mind as he gets this opportunity to play with the likes of #4 and #18 / #12 / #87 / #81 not to mention the adrian and toby show oh and lets not forget “The Five Reasons” … #74 LT – Bryant McKinnie 30 y/o 6’8″ 335# / #76 LG – Steve Hutchinson 32 y/o 6’5″ 313# / #65 C – John Sullivan 24 y/o 6’4″ 301# / #64 RG – Anthony Herrera 29 y/o 6’2″ 315# / #71 RT – Phil Loadholt 24 y/o 6’8″ 343# …

5. By xai moua on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I hope perriloux makes the team, this guy is a better back up than sage, and T jack.
    And most def. If he works hard this guy will be the steal of the draft.

Good luck to him, work hard and hopefully come september we see him in a Vikes uni.

6. By Malte on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I watched some tape of this guy, and what I really like is that he puts the ball where only the reciever has a chance to make the play. If he does that with the vikings well then guess what.. Sidney will make the play, Harvin will, Bx2 will, Adrian will, and I think Toby will do it aswell. He can be interesting in the future. I also liked that he didn’t run every time he saw the oppurtunity, but threw the ball instead. Alot of college football QB just run with the ball, but he sees downhill and understands the play. Know when to run and when to throw. I hope he will be good.

7. By kent on May 1, 2010 | Reply

This guy is a great football player, however his off-field antics have hurt him. I agree, this could be the biggest steal in football history and the long-time answer to Vikings qb situation. Ryan work your tail off and show everyone you can do it, we are counting on you buddy

8. By mnsoldier on May 1, 2010 | Reply

This guy cost us nothing as far as big pay out, if he has grown up and perhaps learned that being an idiot will get him no where fast than he may be a good thing, He talent is far greater than Tjack so lets scrub ourselves clean of both favre and tjack and move on. no more maybe what if, just ruck up and move out. Favre is suppose to be the onfield commander, well he is not acting like it he is actiing mroe like a REMF or Fobbit as know in the military. I say if he is not willing to give a yes or no and if yes a plan to how he will go about things than dump him save the 13 mil and procede.

If you cant commit you gotta quit.

9. By Goneafterminicamp on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree that this was a “no lose” signing. However, I think we’re kidding ourselves if you think that this guy, based on his HIGH SCHOOL stats, will definitely be a better pro than Sage, T-Jack, or a jugs machine for that matter. Hopefully he’s “football smart” because all other indications is that this guy is just a big buffoon who can throw a football. He was suspended from LSU 3-times for being a complete loser before finally being kicked off the team, then goes to a Division 1-AA school where he was promptly suspended once more from that team his final season. Sounds like a real winner. (Although he had some impressive games against perennial football powers Murray State, Austin Peay, and Tennessee State.)

10. By Eugene G on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Following Ryan from grade school I can definitely say that it is GREAT to know that someonw I know perosnally is getting a shot to lead my favorite team into the future please know that if Ryan makes the cut we got our franchise QB and a few Superbowl wins will come our way so let’s get behind and support Ryan fellow Vikings fans because Dallas taking Dez Bryant ain’t got nothing on us getting Ryan please believe that!!!

11. By Paul V. Schnyder on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I’ve watch Ryan Perrilloux in High School and at LSU and Jacksonville State. This young man is the most talented athlete to ever come out of the state of Louisiana.The Vikings made an excellent move and all will see the arm and football skills of Ryan..It was said He was the most dangerous offensive player in the nation. He set many records at Jacksonville State, and deserve the chance to showcase his talent as a Minnesota Viking. The Viking got a steal.BELEIVE DAT

12. By fmfan on May 1, 2010 | Reply

this kid was suspended and kicked off lsu football team then after he transfered to jackson state he was suspended there also. I don’t know what problems this kid had but if he wants to make it in the NFL he better fix his problem.

13. By magohany on May 2, 2010 | Reply

way to go viks. The rookie is a good choice for a backup to favre and jackson. This move only increases the vikings chance to win a superbowl. Coach Childress knows what he is doing. He is preparing for above and beyond not just for today. Good Luck Viks.

14. By 4eversteve on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Ryan Perrilloux sounds like if he has the right people around him could be very successful and worth the gamble. This could be the franchise quarterback of the future that the expects didn’t know about or totally wrote off and discarded as having no chance to make it in the NFL. If memory serves me right we have a undrafted free agent going into the Hall of Fame this year in John Randle not saying that this will happen with Ryan Perrilloux but I’m also not saying it can’t happen. Hope the kid works out for us and straightens out his life more importantly. He as a world of talent’ I like to see how it will translate into to the pro game.

15. By jon on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I think as long as they give a chance and let him learn from the living legend that is brett favre they cant possablly do as bad as T Jak i mean come on. instead of going on a head coaches gut instinck you got somebody that for the most part everyone agrees that he can play ball. And for the matter of off thefeild issues time can only tell but for me when u move up to make the big bucks you start to fell obligated not to let your team fans or freinds down. so lets cross our fingures. and goooooooooooooooo vikessssssssssssssss to the bowl with your bad selves

16. By Bigfan1 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I like the coach Childress’ philosophy, focus on going forward what can be done in the future not what has been done in the past.

17. By Lito on May 2, 2010 | Reply

The motivation to change comes from within. Without God in the center of his life, he would struggle. Thank God that Coach Childress wants to give hime a fresh start from now moving forwards. Encouragement from Bret, the coaches, and the other players would help. God gave him talents. I hope he uses them well. Good luck Ryan!

18. By Viking-ology on May 2, 2010 | Reply

If he has this much talent, he should coast this weekend onto the next step…

19. By Vikingsfansince98 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

ryan could be a huge steal with a low cost. hope him and joe wbb can pan out and be those hidden gems in this years draft. joe webb looks like he could polish up and be an excellent receiver with freakish athleticism. could be the vikings in a couple years, 83 yard td pass to webb fro perrilloux ;)

20. By Drpigskin on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Who does all of this talk remind of the name, Willie Spencer?

21. By CA Norwegian on May 3, 2010 | Reply

I think alot of this dream hype is premature. Didn’t Jamarcus Russell have great numbers too? I think it is great that there are fine football players competing for the right to mostly play backup. I like the Vikes attitude of taking the best athlete available. It will make the team better by having such quality depth, as well as making no one priceless. I like the intent to have so many impressive hammers in the backfield. Peterson, Toby, Tahi, D’Imperio, Young. I am going to be sad when the cuts come. Beat the Bears!

22. By CA Norwegian on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of the roster cuts… Any thought to having Web available as a backup QB, and D’Imperio as a Fullback/backup LB? It effectively could provide some insurance, and make the roster seem bigger. Over the long season such a strategy if possible would pay dvidends. I guess they have to make the team first.

23. By VINNIE JAMES on May 6, 2010 | Reply

first i am a saints fan but im from louisiana,i have been watchin ryan since high school i think if he get his heart an mind right he could be the best QB in this year draft down the line tha vikes got a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Franzen 93 on May 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jamarcus Russell is available, why don’t we run and grab him too. Why not get six or seven quarterbacks who can’t play the position instead of one who can. This whole thing is making me sick. I thought Childress was a quarterback guru. I don’t see it so far. Come back Brett so we can have one more great season before one of these clowns come and ruin the team again.

25. By Drock20J on May 13, 2010 | Reply

I think this is great for the Vikings and for RP11. Ryan and I lived next to each other at JSU, he is a good kid. yes he has gotten into some trouble but deep down, he is a good kid. he and I hung out a few times and we grilled out together, and I got to ask him some personal questions, he has his head on straight. He admits it was t he people he was with.

As for his talent, yes he can throw the ball and is pretty darn accurate, yes he does have that threat to run as well. RP is a big guy but he is athletic as well. What I like about him compared to other Athletic QBs, he is a throw first, throw second, then MAYBE run kinda guy.

He did wonders for JSU, and we were glad to have him there, Minnesota you are going to love this guy when he makes the team.