Cook, Gerhart Look To Contribute In 2010

Posted by cjsiewert on April 30, 2010 – 5:40 pm

The Vikings top 2 selections in the 2010 NFL Draft seem to fit the mold for what the Purple are looking for in adding depth and strengthening particular areas on both sides of the football.

CB Chris Cook will have the opportunity to play a significant role in helping the secondary as Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffen are recovering from injuries, while RB Toby Gerhart has relieved concerns from Vikings fans on the backup RB position after the departure of Chester Taylor to the Chicago Bears via free agency.

“My goal is to contribute to the team in any way I can, whether it be special teams, nickel package, where ever they want me, I’m just out here trying to help the team win games,” Cook said.

Cook, a 6-2, 212 pound CB, also feels that his size will offer him a slight advantage in coverage at the NFL level.

“There’s some big receivers out there that can run and jump and do everything that you want them to do, and me being a bigger corner, I feel like that’s a little bit of an advantage for me over those 5-9 guys, 5-8 guys,” Cook said.

Head coach Brad Childress agreed with Cook on the notion of his size offering a big plus going against big WRs.

“Provided that he can do everything that a corner has to do in this league, there is no down side to being bigger in stature,” Childress said.  “You don’t get bodied when the ball goes down the field playing against a guy like the one from Detroit (Calvin Johnson). There are receivers with length and at that time is nice to have a corner with length. All things being equal there is no downside to that.”

Also looking to contribute to a Vikings team that was one play away from reaching the Super Bowl last season is Gerhart.

“I’m confident in my abilities,” Gerhart said.  “Whatever role they have me embrace I’m just going to try to work hard and contribute […] It’s the first day of practice so I’m just trying to learn the system and learn the rules and just make the team.”

Gerhart has been gifted with great athleticism and versatility; both were factors leading the Vikings to trade up and grab him in the 2nd round.  Childress also noted after the 1st day of the 3-day rookie minicamp on his overall impressions of the 6-0, 231 pound RB out of Stanford.

“It’s a big, thick body,” Childress said.  “You can see it on film and you can see it on tape. It will be interesting when he gets padded up and see how he comes out the other end. He catches it way better then anybody probably gives him credit for. You can’t be a centerfielder and not be able to catch the ball and have some hand-eye coordination. He can do all those things and I know how looks at the inside zone because that is on tape.”

Tags: ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Cook, Gerhart Look To Contribute In 2010”

1. By Dan Kuyek on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Don’t forget his blocking ability, something our RBs seem not to be able to grasp. This alone makes him a valuable addition for poor ‘ol Favre.

2. By Ryan on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Don’t go easy on the rookies make them work extra hard, we don’t want any slouches to make the team.

3. By PAVikesFan on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Been a while….I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the whole #4 thing. Do not take this man for a fool. He’s wily, he’s smart. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He has it all planned out. To let the public know now that he will require surgery, thus giving him an excuse to miss training camp and return by mid pre-season. It’s all in his plans, therefore, by announcing this, I am 100% sure he is coming back, it’s guaranteed

4. By SWOELPMOFA on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Favre dont be like my portland fail blazers i dont want to call you a brett fail but i have faith in you mr.cannon arm go vikes go

5. By SWOELPMOFA on May 1, 2010 | Reply

or brett fall

6. By Skol_Vikings on May 1, 2010 | Reply

hey PAVikes, that is exactltly what I have been saying for a while now. I don’t blame him for missing camp either.

7. By Malte on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Look out for Joe Webb as well. He was a QB in college, but in 2007 when they had another starting QB Joe Webb became very fast the “go-to-guy” in the system even though he had played QB all the time. He can addept and i hope he will be great. I think so, he’s a great atleth.

8. By Bigfan1 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

So happy to have Toby, Chris, et.al on board, it’s going to be a great year.

9. By frank on May 2, 2010 | Reply

ive watched joe web play. He maybe the steal of the draft

10. By Bill P on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I just like the look of Toby sometimes he just looks like a small snow plow on the field.

11. By nick on May 2, 2010 | Reply

cook is a fast tall physical CB he has speed to stay with fast wideouts and will help are corners in winfeild griffin and sheppered. toby is a great strong runner he will just lay u out he ran for i think 1808 yards and it will be a good addition with ap there they should be great together and will daminate defences in the nfl they will be hard to stop plus maybe the addition of perrilloux

12. By nick on May 2, 2010 | Reply

get percy iin there and dominate with the run and pass

13. By Lito on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Good draft picks by the Vikings. Vikes turned out the most pro Bowlers last year, so this speaks highly of the coaches as well. My hope is they get a humongous offensive lineman who can play center/right offensive guard, and able to make holes for AP and TG, as well as protect Bret Favre. Vikes will be fun to watch this year. Go Vikings!

14. By Viking-ology on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Vikes got a heck of an addition at RB

15. By Vikingsfansince98 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

This year and next year have the potential of being great. with the potential of joe webb and ryan perrilloux making the splash into the starting lineup in 2011, and helping out in 2010. Along with both toby and cook having key roles this year and cook possible seeing a starting role in 2011 if griffen’s acl reconstruction hinders his play or the possibility of seeing antoine winfield move to safety (which i think would be a tremendous move) as he is getting older an not faster, but still keeps his excellent tackling and vision to play the ball as he has as a corner.

16. By nick on May 2, 2010 | Reply

vkingsfansince98 is right antoine winfield should move to safty and would help the team alot it would be good to have lito shepered and cook as the starting CB an griffin there for the 3rd one for extra help and then johnson and winfield at safties will be great cant wait for them to play.all the way to the super bowl go vikings

17. By CA Norwegian on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I will be sorely dissappointed if at least one Saint is not out for the season after the opener. I say, “time for the fullbacks to crackback!” The Saints championship will forever be tarnished by dirty late hits on an ol’ HOF QB named Brett. Their gameplan was to play dirty because they weren’t the better team.

18. By Harvin4Prez on May 3, 2010 | Reply

I also think in a year or two Joe Webb will be a fantastic contributor to this team. The Vikes have a solid core of receiver coaches (look what they did with Rice) and he is a tremendous athlete.

I am also excited about Cook and Gerhart. Hope Bobby McCray tries to land a dirty hit like that on Gerhart and Toby puts his shoulder into him and knocks his helmet off or something. Who dat?

19. By FYI on May 4, 2010 | Reply

@ Harvin4Prez, Yes we do have decent WR coaches, however, as that may be, Rice worked his ass off with Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald, my apologies if that is misspelled. They worked him harder than our coaches probably do, and thus making him a better receiver, again not to discredit our coaching staff, but when you talk about a great young talent in Sydney Rice, you have to look at the real reason he improved his game. Working with other amazing players and in Jerry’s case HOF. But good post, keep up the input!

20. By GOLDVIKE on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I THINK WE GOT GERHART SO IF FAVRE DOESNT COME BACK WE CAN JUST POUND TEAMS WITH HIM AND ALLDAY !!!!!

21. By Buster the dog on May 7, 2010 | Reply

I think we had an overall great draft. Good quality players. Big and tough just like we like’em here. Go Toby and Cook!! Hope you both have an outstanding rookie year.

22. By Favre4ever on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Would like to comment on all you brainless wonders who commented on this years problems being Favres fault. Would tell you to look at the film, but since we traded for Moss instead of Mankins, you can see the intelligence. Hope Favre retires a Packer cause in 20 seasons he never took this many hits. Unfortunately Frazier isnt the answer either.Favre 1 more!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Meeriorbige on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply