Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 25, 2010 – 2:28 pm

The Monday Morning Mailbag rolls on tomorrow, so be sure to submit your questions. With the NFL draft now concluded, there’s much to discuss as the Vikings move forward with a new crop of rookie draft picks.

Send your comment/question to me via email at this address: wobschallm@vikings.nfl.net.

Remember to submit your first name and town with comments and questions and also please remember that although we can’t post every comment/question, we’ll reply to each question.

49 Responses to “Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions”

1. By Chris on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey mike, i was just wondering why the vikings didn’t draft a potential future QB in the draft. I don’t know about you, but i don’t trust Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels to be the future of the team at QB and i feel like the team passed up on some great young QB talent in Claussen and in McCoy. i am by no means upset with the teams raft picks, especially with that great Gerhart pick, but not picking up a QB confused me. Thanks for anwering my question. Skol!

2. By nick on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

do you think CB Cook will have a immediate impact for the vikes, Do you think they might switch him to safety or compete with johnson for the starting postion

3. By Gatoraide on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Has anyone told Percy Harvin that he has a fatally toxic allergic reaction to soy, soy lecithin and other soy derivitives ( found heavily laced into chocolate) which cause his MIGRAINE HEADACHES? Percy has been addicted to chocolates since he was a pre-teen and has suffered migraine headaches since then!

What could it hurt for him to work it out, even for a trial period of total “abstinence’ for a month

and then crash back and see what happens..before the season starts! See what I’m sayin’? I’ll leave the light on for ya’!
    (And, I won’t charge my usual consultation fee…this one time.) Thanks.

4. By Pat the Viking on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike not everyone realize that with hard work, determination by Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels can develop and improve in their skills and become a better QB.

5. By nick on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

How do u think the vikings will use Gerhart,I heard hes not very good at coming out of the back field and catching the ball, does this mean peterson will have more of a chance at catching the ball this year.

6. By loyalvikingfan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, will gerhart and peterson be on the field at the same time? I’m asking this because they didn’t really put ap and taylor in the backfield together that much. I hope they put gerhart and peterson in at the same time to wreck havoc.

7. By Ryan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Whats up Mike can you tell childress to look at the safety position and make some changes. Maybe give sanford a shot at more playing time, madieu and tyrell are out of position on many plays and are being a big liability on the secondary. I see a lack of physical toughness in the safety positions I hope they address this issue.

8. By Edward M on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, we know the NFL trade deadline ends October 20th, with that In mind, is it still possible that the Vikings could make a possible move towards another QB if Farve decides to retire?

9. By Rich on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, When the Vikings used their first pick in the draft on Chris Cook i was pretty confused. They needed a saftey more than a conerback so why not go for taylor mays instead. Im also wondering if the vikings are planning on putting everson griffin on the DT position considering Pat William’s age.

10. By Jimmy on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, do you know if the Vikings have looked at free-agen Alan Faneca at all? He would be a great addition to our Offensive Line.

11. By Zack on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, is there anything new on Favre’s status? I have heard his left ankle was still bothering him when he was injured from the NFC Championship game. Do you think he will return or retire depending on how his ankle feels?

12. By Matt Eamer on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

After the New York Jets announced the release of Pro Bowl offensive lineman Alan Faneca, is there going to be any interest in him from the Vikings? I sure hope soooo!!!!

13. By DanB on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Ok, I’ll be the first to admit that I am not pleased with the Vikings first 2 days of this draft. I think both were a reach and overspent for both Cook and Gerhart. Cook has some upside if he commits himself and “buys in” with his size and other gifts. I just don’t see Gerhart being anything more than a short-yardage back that will be oft injured with his pad level and lack of lateral agility. Griffen was a steal, but it wasn’t exactly a position of immediate need. So I guess I have a couple of questions:

Can you explain why in the 4th round the Vikes lived up to their recently well earned strategem of taking the best available when they didn’t do so in the first three rounds?

Can you tell me what Gerhart offers that the Vikes could not have gotten out of Peterson, Young, and Reynaud?

Finally, What is the real reason that the QB position has been ingored? Sage is a career journeyman and TJack has the tools, but has yet to fulfill anywhere near his potential. And that says nothing to the impending contract status of all three QB’s following this season. I can’t speak for others, but I see a team with a load of talent, but is one bad sack away from being a one-and-done playoff team at best. A qb of the future would extend this teams Superbowl window for a number of years.

14. By Guest on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

We want Brett back Mike! watch please:)

15. By Lito on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

What happened to the rumored trade with the Redskins’ Haynesworth?

16. By Slim on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike,
    OK, the draft is DONE… The normal wait begins for Brett. Now all of a sudden, the phone rings and Brett tells Childress, I have decided to continue to spread fertilizer, and farm, I am done as a NFL QB! We are not in a position currently to respond to that with “we will just send in Jackson or Sage!. I am a LONG time Vikings Fan, and this is about as good as it gets when it comes to a Team that is ready to go ALL THE WAY! It would be a shame for this Team to come crashing down around a good but not great QB. Give Travaris his due, we didn’t trade for Sage because we thought he was cute, we had A PLAN, is it workable now?? Tell me I am taking these Rolaids for nothing, tell me Brett has called during the night, tell me the Jeans in the locker room meant “I am coming back, wear them”
    This has to be our year, I watched all of the Super Bowls “almosts” for the Vikings. I was there when the Vikings were formed, PLEASE tell me we have a QB plan!

17. By Tim D. on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike,
    I also hope the Vikes consider and make a run for Faneca would be a nice fit. Also Raiders willing to trade all players how about Asumuwonga or how ever you spell it. Also trade Berrian and next years 2nd round pick for Randy Moss. Patriots looking to get younger. Also Brett would ackknowledge he’s playing if Moss were signed!
    Thanks for all you do.

Tim

18. By Michael Demarest on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

What is Eric Bieniemy’s email address?

19. By vikingjack on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

alan faneca is available…should the vikings pursue him?

20. By MGR4FUN on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Ryan Perrilloux has all the skills to be an NFL QB … now has he matured enough to apply his skills in the pros … he struggled with success early and made some really poor choices … but so hav many includin carter and moss who were pretty good vikings in the end … i am gonna hope for the best for him and the purple … um mike has faneca ever played right guard … hmmm … hutch & faneca … just thinkin out loud here (meanin no disrespect to mr herrrera) … keep up the gr8 work mike thx

21. By Ed Pierson on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

What are the odds of Gerhart getting the number 41, he reminds me alot of Dave Osborne?

22. By Cory on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike,

Having listened to recent reports on the condition of BF injured ankle, are you aware of what his season ending physical was?

Could he have played in the SB had we beaten the Saints?

23. By Chris on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike,
    I was disappointed and a bit confused that we selected a CB with our 2nd round pick especially with Clausen and McCoy on the board. With the stadium issue staring us in the face and Favre’s eventual retirement it would have been a smart football and marketing move to have the future face of the franchise learning the trade under Favre. It would definitely extend our Super Bowl window far into the future–something neither Jackson or Sage can do. Do the Vikes possibly have their eyes on another QB coming out in next years draft?

24. By Steve S on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Even if Bret Farve comes back this coming season, the Vikings are going to have to Draft a QB to replace him in the near future, and it will take about 2 seasons to get that QB ready to take over the reins of the viking offence…Couldn’t they have thought of piking a good QB like PIKE or the qb from Fordem ?

25. By Alex Lawson on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike, I’m very dissapointed that the Vikings failed to move up for Mccourty or Wilson and they settled for CB Chris Cook. With that being said I have three questions. How much of a talent drop off do you sense between Cook and Wilson/Mccourty? Can Cook contribute day one in our defense? Where do you see the CB depth chart as of week 1? Thanks

26. By Dustin on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Great pick with Griffen. I was wondering what is the chance of having Griffen rotate in as a linebacker to help out the D-line so it would allow us to have our addition of Montgomery, Edwards and Griffen on the field at the same time. Sounds to me like that would be a 1st rank rush defense

27. By mikillerko on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

The way I feel, you can never have too many offensive lineman. An we all know that Brett Favre got a little beat up and Adrian Peterson wasn’t getting the holes that he was used to seeing. And this draft was loaded with offensive lineman. Is there any specific reason why we didnt draft more Offensive lineman?

28. By Nick on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

How do the vikes approach the soon approaching need for a franchise QB? and is there any chance we pick up faneca to replace herrera?

29. By max on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

go get Faneca
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RG

30. By mikewobschall on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey everyone – thanks for your questions. Check out the Monday Morning Mailbag to see if your question is answered. It should be posted by 10:00 a.m. CT.

31. By Travis on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

What are the odds of us signing G Alan Faneca for a year or 2 to help AP and our run game?

32. By Mike E on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb is one of the most gifted athletes in the draft, I was wondering if you had any insight into how much effort the coaching staff is going to put into making him a viable receiving threat. Am I seeing things when I look at his physicals, or does he have Randy Moss potential?

33. By matt on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

MIKE-I SAID IT BEFORWE HERE AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN TO THE PEOPLE WHO WANTED A QB IN THE DRAFT- JOHN DAVID BOOTY-ANYWAY.IM INTERESTED IN SEEING AND HEARING SOME THINGS ON JOE WEBB!

34. By Robin S. on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

We want Brett back!!! I hope his ankle heals ok. I still find it unbelievable that the Saints were allowed to beat Brett like that. We love you Brett! Come back please!

35. By Roger on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mike. Alan Faneca is being released from the Jets today. Do you think the Vikings will try to sign him? Do you think they should?

36. By Roger on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mike. I’m not praising or dissing the Vikings draft this year. There are a lot of players I am unfamiliar with. I understand not reaching and taking one of the Qb’s this year. But Favre has brought excellence to the position. We have a great team and should expect nothing less as fans. I hope the team is aggressive next year and makes a strong effort to move up in next year’s draft to get a good, young QB of the future. A Locker, or Luck for instance. They need a new approach the next draft. What do you think?

37. By Mike on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Can you promise to pick Ryan Mallett in the first round next season? or is that a little presumptuous at this point?

38. By Dan in Oakdale on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Does not drafting a QB in the 2010 draft offer Vikings fans a glimpse into the behind the scenes thinking (of the coaching staff) that Favre will be returning this fall? I know most of the fans I talk to, myself included, are hoping for his return for a 20th season and at the helm of our beloved Purple and Gold.

The appearance of what the team is doing, sure seems to indicate that there may have been discussions between BF and the coaching staff. I know the “grin and bear it” of waiting for Favre to make the announcement that he is returning has been a constant constraint on previous teams, forcing them into action, versus wait and see.

Any thoughts on this scenario?

39. By FAVRE4EVER on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hows it going Mike. I know this topic has come up, but i was wondering if you can make a push for vikings to get Faneca in there. Last year Favre got beat up over and over. Besides Faneca and Favre have worked together one year in New York. Think it would be a great fit, because Favre will be back. At least give him some protection.

40. By 4eversteve on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Faneca gave instant credibility to the jets offensive line. They seemed to have come together as a cohesive unit, we need that kind cohesiveness in our O-line play and I believe the same would happen for us with his signing . Much the same way our back-up quarterbacks have grown by leaps and bounds with the signing of Brett Favre , we would benefit with having Hutch and Faneca mentoring the up and coming O-linemen we could be solid for years to come at O-line positions.

41. By ben kaatiala on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

please consider bringing Hovan back.

42. By Tyrone on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Since we went with a QB in the draft, we should have picked LeFevor from Central Michigan in the late 5th round and picked up the defensive player from the 5th in the 6th round. I believe this QB has the potential to be the next Brady! Time will tell.

43. By FAVRE4EVER on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Really not happy with the wait and see approach on picking up veteran help. Sure, i think Sheppard will fill our lack of pass defense issue, but how about the pass protection. Dont wait for Faneca to visit too many places cause he’s mad and wants to find a home soon.What do you think, Mike? If i was Childress or even Favre i’d be on the phone pleading with him. Snooz You Lose. Pull the trigger on this guy Chilly. He won’t last long. And shame on you if you let him slip within the NFC- North.

44. By Panhia on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I can’t help but repeat this question over and over and over again in my head. So I need some reassurance even if you’re not sure. IS FAVRE GOING TO COME BACK? I know he was really hurt that he didn’t get us to the superbowl last season, but he has to come back. Favre is the best QB for the Vikings and personally, I think Tarvaris Jackson just holds the Vikings QB title but he’s not that good. Maybe Favre just needs time to cope with the loss. I mean, he is on a 2-year contract with us so he has to come back, right?

45. By Lito on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Do you think that the drafted OT Degeare is able to play more often in Herrera’s position this coming year; or is he drafted mainly to replace Hicks? I know that the Viking Center will be playing his second year, but would you agree that the Vikings current weak links are the Center and right offensive guard positions? How about Pat Williams replacement?

46. By Richard Berlin on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I just wanted to weigh in on the draft. Everyone feels the Vikings need a third down back to take the pressure off Adrian Peterson and by drafting Gerhart the guys on Espn feel they didnt address there needs. So why not bring Brian Westbrook to Minnesota . Sure they need to make sure he is healthy to play and if he is just think what a great weapon he would be for the Vikings. Just think how Explosive here would be in the Dome

47. By Corrie on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Ed Pierson – I was in the room when Gerhart got the call from Childress and I know what Gerhart’s number is…it’s not in the 40′s. He is not a fullback. The Vikings are lucky to have EB as the RB Coach. EB was a regular at Gerhart’s highschool games, and followed him all throughout college. EB is more familiar with Toby’s abilities than anyone elsewith the Vikings organization. This guy is the real deal and has been a RB his ENTIRE life, dominating at EVERY level. The guy is smart, a RIDICULOUS workhorse, and has CHARACTER…something that is sorely lacking in many NFL players. Believe me, you will be thanking EB for this pick years from now.

48. By rovibe on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

*** RAY EDWARDS *** Edwards is an unrestricted free agent next year, and the Vikes face losing him to another team without compensation, just like with Chester Taylor this year. With Robison proving effective off the bench and the addition of Everson Griffen via the draft, is there any chance the Vikings will try to trade Edwards before the season opener so they aren’t left empty handed next year? Would be great to get a 2011 draft pick in exchange, perhaps a 2nd rounder. An extra pick in that range could give them the needed ammo to move up in round one if they see the right QB prospect, or simply continue to plug holes where they come up – OL, safety, or ?? I understand they may have to lock him in on a new contract first, one that would be palatable to any potential trade partners.

49. By rovibe on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

SAFETY: The Rams caught people off guard this year when they tendered safety OJ Atogwe at the lowest possible tender. He’s young and has been very productive in St Louis, so I’m surprised a team like the Vikings hasn’t jumped on that deal. I know he suffered a shoulder injury in 2009, but haven’t heard anything suggesting he won’t make a full recovery. On paper, he looks like a sure upgrade in MN. Any insights on that?