Creative Approach Extracts Late-Round Talent

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 25, 2010 – 11:24 am

Much of the criticism for several of the Vikings late-round picks on Saturday were rooted in the fact that readers believed the Vikings didn’t truly take the best players available at the time of picks. Some wondered why the Vikings took QB Joe Webb when the more-touted Tony Pikes and Zac Robinson’s of the world were still available. I even saw another comment criticizing the Vikings for selecting Ryan D’Imperio because he wasn’t one of the top 63 rated LBs in the country.

While the dialogue and feedback is appreciated, the criticism in this case – and in many others after the draft – is a bit unwarranted. Fans often times react emotionally – which is what fans should do – and sometimes it disallows them to take a global perspective of a draft class.
The Vikings used a creative approach in selecting their late-round picks on Saturday, and both D’Imperio and Webb are actually great examples of this approach.

Click here to read about this approach in more detail…

Posted in All | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Creative Approach Extracts Late-Round Talent”

1. By Robert on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Ah yes, the silly puddy approach. Get good clay and see if we can model it into an NFL player. I’m hoping our top three picks can do what they need to be able to do without too much effort. A team needs 22 pro bowlers and they all need to play as a team to get the job done. If the coaches can get that done, having a couple hobby projects is fine. They’ll end up on the P-Squad and into football obscurity.

2. By JIMTHEBASSMAN on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

After watching the results of the Viking’s draft, all that I conclude is that the people in the draft room celebrated a lot after the first 3 picks and drank too many drinks!!!!! The Vikings picked up some throw away picks!!!!! Tell me 1 team that picks a quarterback, and knowing we have nothing except for maybe Booty, picks a quarterback that you know will only make it as a “WIDE RECIEVER”. STUPID!!!!!! YEAH……POTIENTAL…..STUPID!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT….If Farve comes back, we have a chance for a SUPERBOWL, BUT…What happens after this year……NOTHING!!!!!! I like the first 3 picks, well except for the maybe CB, probably saftey..DUH…WHAT HAPPENED????? I don’t blame the coaches and scouts and GM for laughing at the interveiws. if I liked the Packers, Bears or Lions, I would be laughing afterwards too!!!! Why waite for 3 years from now, go ahead give them a big X now. What happened to our draft??? Except for 2 players, WHAT POSITIONS ARE THESE PLAYERS PLAYING FOR, WATERBOY, or do they have to waite for preseason to figure it out!!! After watching what had happened, I think they might not know until after 5 years considering how dumb these people are!!!!!!!

3. By HOGS on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

“Creative” in this case is just another word for gambling on longshots. While we were being “creative” the rest of our conference was being cunning and intelligent, loading up on proven talent. with exception to maybe the bears who already aquired our backup rb. Everytime ppl on the vikings blogs suggested or tried to guess who we would pick, they were stunned when the pick came in. Another mishap was our poor trading which made fans pull the rest of their hair out. After so many good drafts, this one seems like a step back. Those late rounders hold the reputations of the front office on thier back. We will just have to wait and see if they make it.

4. By HOGS on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

If we wanted a FB then why didnt we take a FB, only 1 was off the board by then and we could have had the second best FB. Isnt it easier to train the second best FB in the daft then the 13th best ILB? As for WR, if we wanted a good one there were plenty of them left when we took Triplett who was not even expected to b drafted. We had needs (OL LB) and we did not address them, we did not pick any starters.

5. By Malte on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Beause the linebacker we took at the end of the draft is a DEAMON in ST play. he is rated as one of the best ST player in the draft (other than return folks) – and the WR on the board were okay, but wouldn’t have a chance to make it into our rooster. in the long term then maybe Joe Webb will be a great receiver. the receivers on the board at that time wouldn’t make a difference in the nfl.

6. By evan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

HOGS, they wern’t looking for starters in the first place

7. By evan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

ya and the lions can take their “intelligence” all the waqy to a 3-13 record.

8. By MIke B on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike Wobschall are you just a mouth piece for Vikings HQ. Vikings draft was a grade C at best. I think they could have done much better, I still think they will win with talent already have, but the draft was ho hum at best. I would hope that someone would acknowledge this. It might be that the talent level just wasn’t there this year. Don’t call it apple pie, when it’s more like pumpkin or squash. I have been following the Vikings since 69 and sorry not excited about any of the drafted players.

Thanks Another Mike

9. By cjsiewert on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey MIke B – Do you really think a writer employed by the Vikings would bash their draft picks? I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have a job for much longer. If you want someone to say the Vikings draft picks were ‘ho hum’ at best, I wouldn’t be looking on the official site of the Vikings. How about we see how our picks pan out first and make our decision 3 years from now.

10. By moorevikes on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

only time will tell. i like cook love the fact that we got 1st rd talent rb and def. end. thought this should be the year to get a franchise qb though. probably should have gotten some more o line. think of this the o line that protected favre the last game of last year is the same, without hicks of course, that will be protecting him the 1st game of this year. anyone else say tjack startin game two.

11. By Guest on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

12. By Xai Moua on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah forgot one thing. I have complete Faith in T jack as our QB. To win it all? I cant say til he gets there.

BUT HIS NUMBERS HAVE IMPROVED EVERY YEAR.
    And taking the back seat to favre, trust me look what favre turned rodgers into.
    Not saying T jack is gonna be the next rodgers.

But go vikes, been a fan for the whole 19 years of my life.

13. By MIke B on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

You’re right CJ, but I do expect a realistic opinion slighted in favor of Vikings. I also stated during the draft the picks I felt were good in my opinion. I just can’t get excited about some of the players picked by the Vikings in this draft. I don’t see any harm in reporting that there are definate weaknesses in the players drafted. If those players turn out to be diamonds in the rough, I will be the first to say I was wrong and make the comment in the blogs. I guess it was the draft was a let down after such a great season. Let’s go to the Super Bowl.

14. By Tommy T on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Wobbie….. as I mentioned in one of my other comments on a different blog.

You and the Vikings management can look at us peons and tell us that “we don’t get it,”, but, I will take the opinion of the media hound, draft guru Mel Kiper’s comments, when he said the Vikings were the biggest draft losers. Spielman can spin it the way he wants, but these guys contradict their own philosohpies, and I am still waiting for Chilly to “develop” T-Jack into something special.

15. By GreenMezz on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I think the fans forget at times that we haven’t had so few needs to fill our roster in about a decade. If we were in a position where we needed 7 starters, then we would have approached the draft differently. I remember when fans were upset at taking AP a few years back…and that turned out pretty exciting if I do say so myself. Point being, even when we get it right, people complain.

Cook at the cornerback spot gives us more options to match up with other team’s pass attack. Gerhart is a bruiser and we’re all going to get a kick out of him running over people. Griffen can turn into a stud and a first year starter concidering Edwards hasn’t wanted to sign with us yet. Degearse is a big boy and should fit in nicely as we turn over our OL. I do like the idea of pursuing Faneca as his 2010 paycheck is already being mostly covered by the jets, but he’s not necessary. Our late round picks all have something unique, albeit, unpollished. But if we drafted guys in later rounds whom other teams highly touted, we would lose them before we could sign to practice squad. Oh, and stop picking on wobschall, he gives us a unique look into the organization that is pretty neat as a fan, regardless if we agree with him or not. What’s done is done…time to get behind the team and hoot and holler! Go Vikes!

16. By Robin S. on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Guest…..that was great! Brett was, is, and will always be the best! I can’t even imagine anyone doing what he just did at age 40! Come back Brett! We love you and we need you! You are awesome!

17. By 4eversteve on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Yet to see anybody put an offer together to have Mel Kipper do their drafting for them. Maybe there is a reason for that, don’t put a lot of stock in what Mel Kipper JR. said. He seems to predict more draft bust than winners and I could go down a list but I think it would be unfair not to let someone else commit before the day is over on this subject.

18. By Hornedhelm on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

This is not a s glamorus as the past, but hte Vikes need to get these projects, first to train them in their new projected roles, this will alsow allow the current spot holders their cntractual obligations. If we got a big name and piad lots of money but can’t get them on the field this would breed contempt and make for a bad locker room environment. The coaches have to coach. If anything taking these “Athletic” individuals puts the most pressure ontot he coaching staff to make them intot something, I’m not excited over this draft but I will watch how we develop. One thing that people are forgetting to metnion about cook. he can swing to Free Saftey if need be. The breass is drafting “flow type individuals the age of one position is comeing to an end.

19. By Mike on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know why you guys are so upset about the draft. I think at least half of them will contribute in some way or another. The Vikes have had freat success last couple of yrs drafting. They obviously didn’t think Javid Best would fit in the offense an took Geheart instead in 2nd from Lions. In my opinion, unless your the rams,lions, etc.. and need to build up on QBs, RB, and want starters now, I would take late 1st and early 2nd rounders because they are the under rated best talents!!