Vikings Select TE Mickey Shuler In 7th Round

Posted by cjsiewert on April 24, 2010 – 1:59 pm

The Vikings used their 7th round (213th overall) selection on former Penn State TE Mickey Shuler.

In 2009, Shuler recorded 11 receptions for 89 yards and 2 TDs.  Throughout his 3-year career, the 6-4, 251-pounder has compiled 27 receptions for 300 yards and 4 TDs.  Shuler also has good football bloodlines with his father having played in the NFL as a TE.

Here is the NFL.com analysis of Shuler: “Shuler has good speed and prototypical size and bulk. Releases clean and runs precise routes. Heady player that finds holes in zone coverage. Goes over the middle and makes difficult catches in traffic. Takes good blocking angles and finishes. Has inconsistent hands and will drop catchable balls. Lacks explosiveness and is not much of a threat to gain extra yards after the catch. Struggles to get separation out of breaks and takes too long to reach top speed.”

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Vikings Select TE Mickey Shuler In 7th Round”

1. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I bet his father could still be more effective than his son… C’mon…… explain the value…

2. By Malte on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

He’s a blocking TE, not a catching TE.. We didn’t get him to go be a threat in the passing game! he could be a great blocker for AP and Gerhart! stop making so much critism!

3. By DarrinOT on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree we are just out to asist AP and protect Favre this year.

4. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

7th round?!

5. By MIke B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

fAn OK 7th round pick.

6. By jimmy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Depth….Gentlemen, Depth…….LMAO SUPER BOWL>>>>>>

7. By jimmy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The road to Dallas is going through MINNEY this year….hahahahahah

8. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Tha road to the super bowl was through us last year, we lost that game, NO didnt with it.

9. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I mean win it.

10. By Bryan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Shuler’s strength is as a blocker-excels at that. Will be good on special teams and as a backup to Kleinsasser.

11. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

There were two other TEs graded higher than Shuler that also have above average blocking skills, but are even better pass catchers. That’s all… Colin Peek from Alabama and Rian Geer from Colorado.. If memory serves me, Peek helped block for the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner…. I am saying there were better options..

12. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thats what we needed Bryan, its nice to see someone who agrees that a replacement for Kleinsasser was needed. But who is gonna replace Pat Williams???

13. By MIke B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Last pick is in and NFL.com has no info on him. LB just check a block off a need. Very ho hum draft.

14. By MARK on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

ryan d’imperio?

15. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I would say a very poor draft other than Toby and maybe Griffen. Sometimes we suck at life in draft picks.

16. By MIke B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Nice discussing draft with you all. I am not certain of Farve’s return. The draft would have been much more aggressive if he was retiring for good. Have a good Summer.

17. By MIke B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

oops now certain

18. By MARK on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i’d give it B-

19. By VF1961 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I think this was a very interesting Vikings draft, We got a couple of people who could make an immediate impact.
    Childress has (in my opinion) exceptional skills on draft day.. (OK TJ is still iffy) but we really havent seen him play after working with Brett for a year.. I’m not ready to give up on him yet.. he has gotten better every year..But there are some very interesting posibilies in this draft.
    I’ll be gloating at next year… or eating crow… Our 2nd rd CB and our RB this year have me very excited… WE’ll see, in the mean time kids play nice together…..

20. By Gatoraide on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey, wind ‘em up and let ‘em go! Also, trade Bienemy to GB and just let our RB’s figure things out for themselves…like “RUN TO DAYLIGHT”, LOMBARDI STYLE! Never mind ‘learning’ to be ‘patient’ when the RBs’ confuse that with ‘hesitant.” How would you like to be an RB and have Bienemy in your face every time you came off the field EVEN WHEN YOU JUST SCORED!!? See what I’m sayin’? I’ll leave the light on for ya’!