Vikings Select Former Gopher LB Nathan Triplett

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 24, 2010 – 11:36 am

The Vikings didn’t need to search far to execute their second 5th round pick on Saturday as they drafted former Gophers inside LB Nathan Triplett with the draft’s 167th overall pick.

Triplett has good size for an NFL LB at 6-3, 250 pounds, and he was a very productive player for the Gophers in 2009. The 2009 season was his only as a starter though, so some might be concerned about his lack of experience coming out of college.

Here is the NFL.com analysis of Triplett: “Triplett is a big, strong inside linebacker who started for only one season in college. He was very productive in 2009, but his athleticism and lack of experience is a concern at the next level. He is best between the tackles attacking the line of scrimmage. He doesn’t have great quickness, speed or range inside-out to the ball. Triplett is inconsistent leveraging the ball in space, and the further away from the line of scrimmage he is, the less effective he becomes. He is an effective inside run blitzer, providing power to push the pocket, but he is a liability as a man-coverage defender. Triplett was a good college football player in 2009, but athletic limitations might relegate him to a backup roll in the NFL.”

Tags:

79 Responses to “Vikings Select Former Gopher LB Nathan Triplett”

1. By brian on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i am not understanding the vikings right now. first we pass up even trying to trade for mcnabb then we dont draft a qb. then in the beginning of 5th round they were talking about washington wanting to trade campbell and we dont do that. so what are they thinking? another 4 years with just a qb away from the super bowl?

2. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The Gophers haven’t produced any good linebackers for along time so I’m stunned by this pick…..

3. By charles lannin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

What an absolute wasted pick!!Very annoyed that the Vikings lowered themselves to a PR move when this kid should have been a free agent. I am an original, 50 year season ticket holder and am disgusted with this move!This has been a poor draft and poor draft management by Spielman and his team. Love the Gerhart kid but they paid way too much to move up.We are a worse team than we were last year while other teams have improved themselves.

4. By jbork88 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

uh charles? the lions can improve all they want but still won’t be able to surpass us no matter how well they do in the draft

5. By jbork88 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

and how are we worse when we kept all our starters?

6. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I wonder, are all you haters of this draft ones that also hated when they picked Peterson?

If you guys are so dang smart, why don’t you have Spielman’s job? Oh right, because you would probably end up like the Detroit Lions of the past 10 years.

7. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

anothere blown pick.. If you wanted a LB, grab Dekoda Watson from Florida State that runs a 4.56 had 6.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss..and from an top-notch school. I used to have some decent respect for Spielman, but I think they could have done a heckuva lot better draft…. I now give this draft a C.

8. By Mike on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Only played one year in college for a below-average college program. The weaknesses they list for this kid make me wonder how he even made one tackle. The Vikes generally draft well, but I’m really concerned this year!

9. By MIke B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree mostly with Charles the 5th round picks fill needs but are not starters. They are unproven bigger guys, but have issues. There are better players still out there. Come On.

10. By jeremy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

every year the nfl grades the lions and A, and when is the last time they had a winning seaso?

11. By Raul 919 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

what a bad one, only toby pick had any smarts in it

12. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Charles lanin.. You are right in regards to Toby. he IS a great player, but they probably didn’t need to use a 3rd rd pick to get him.. If he went before 62, they could have nabbed Ben Tate from Auburn or waited until the 4th to get Joe McKnight from USC to replace Taylor. These last couple draft picks are puzzling..

13. By Tom G. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

NO TALENT NO TALENT RESORT TO FREE AGENCY

14. By Josh on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ive know Nate Triplett for 10 years, and the Vikings are gettinng a work horse. I think he is a great pick for a team that already has just about everything. He will be a great special teams players and the hardest worker on the field. He has a great group of guys to learn from, and after getting some experience, Im really excited to see what he can do.

15. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Nat…. No… we are not haters, but when these clowns sit in front of a camera and tell us they picked the best player available, then either 10 differentr scouting services that have similar thoughts are stupid, OR, there isn’t quality analysis at Winter Park….

16. By gary on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

so who would you appoint?

17. By WMR on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Brian,
    The VIkings are NOT a QB away from the Super Bowl…their biggest and most glaring need is offensive line help…to trade for McNabb made little sense, with Farve coming back, McNabb would not have been happy being a backup. The idea the Vikings should have traded for Jason Campbell is laughable…

18. By Lance on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Gerhart is the star of our draft for sure. I am excited to watch him and Adrian tote the rock

19. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Guess what Tommy, no one was high on Tom Brady either. How did that work out for all the other teams?

Yes, every draft will have some busts, and sometimes they may guess wrong. But you must be really blind to think the Vikings haven’t come out ahead of nearly every other team with these guys running the draft the last few years.

20. By Gereald B... on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Draft is overrated any way, kurt warner or john randle ring a bell????

21. By Seth on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Why o why didnt we draft an awesome QB for the future in Clausen? He was the best QB in the entire draft. We addressed some issues and drafted some decent players, but come on.

We just wasted our first two pics. Dont know if I can watch this season. The only reason I will is if Favre is our QB.

22. By Gereald B... on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

cuase most quaterbacks are busts anyway, only luck will get you a good one

23. By Dan A. Szelkowski on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I like this pick he should give the Vikings the power runner they need for in the red zone.

24. By Jimmy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

ya and we all know how well the liosn a raiders draft

25. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The Vikes have more picks than roster spots. Especially if we keep the kick off specialist in Rhys Lloyd on th 53 man roster. I don’t think the picks are as obvious compared to years past, but I think we’re doing the right thing. I mean we haven’t wasted another pick on a QB! Let these guys battle in camp and let the best players hopefully be the younger and cheaper ones. :)

26. By Dan A. Szelkowski on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Seth how can you say that I will admit with Chrildress the drafts have been very productive

27. By Josh on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

seth, that is the saddest statement of all time. wake up and realize theres more to building a football team of 55 players than one QB position.

28. By Raul 919 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

ay lets keep our heads up, got 3 picks left to redeem themselves, just cuz they got drafted doesn’t mean they’ll make the team.

29. By Dan A. Szelkowski on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

GreenMezz I am sorry to say that T Jackson has been ruined by Childress so a QB might be needed.

30. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

PS. Gerhart is one bad – - – mother trucker. I’ve seen a lot of this kid as I’m at ASU and love PAC 10 football. Just watch last year’s game against USC and you’ll have no doubt about this kid.

31. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Nat, Marcus McCauley, Ryan Cook, TJack….. these guys were drafted too high, and we traded two 3rd rd picks to move up to get TJack… Adrian Peterson and Percy weren’t reaches, but there have been more head-scratches than attaboys… These guys can’t possible scout every player in college, so they have to rely on scouting services. Nate Triplett may be a hard working player, but as Ron Jaworski says, “I hate hearing people say he is the hardest working player!! All players if they want to make the NFL and stay have to work hard.”…. So, if 10 scouting services have guys like Triplett, and the OG O-greatwhatastiff, ranked low with a dozen players ahead of them, what are they seeing??? Don’t go in front of the camera and tell me that you had Everson Griffen rated as a first-round player (because everyone else did) and then come back and tell us you had Nate Triplett and this OG rated as high as you did, because you didn’t…

32. By Dan A. Szelkowski on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Mike in the 5th round all you are looking for is back-ups and special team players

33. By Dan A. Szelkowski on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope everyone realises that the late round picks can just be lower paid players to help with the caps. I do know the cap is expired but that is the old thinking and some things do not go away so easily.

34. By kevin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

what with you people? why do you continue to say “us” and “we”? what position do you play again?

35. By havmann on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

No offense to Nate but this was a reach and an absolute waste of pick as the line backing crew is not a pressing issue at this time. QB Dan LeFevour would have been a great pick up. Very puzzling draft strategy this year by the Vikes.

36. By K.Peterson on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

My only guess is the Vikings are tapped out of fund due to Favre coming back??? Otherwise, even from a female’s perspective these picks are really bad.

37. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

and Nat…. for every Tom Brady, and Randy Moss that slip in the draft, there are hundreds that are mediocre. see TJack, McCauley, etc…

Here. Since Chilly on board in 2006.

Great picks… Greenway, Peterson, Ced Griffin,Sid Rice, Percy… Nice picks: Loadholdt, Edwards, Sullivan (by default), Robison..

But look at some of these others.. McCauley, Ryan Cook, TJack, Tyrell Johnson, John David Booty (2nd Rd), Aundray Allison, Rufus Alexander, LetRoy Guiton, Jaymar Johnson, Asher Allen, Brinkley, Samford…

5 great picks in 4 years and a few serviceable.. They reach too much and need to rely on scouting services MORE…

38. By NEIL on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

TONY PIKE!!! WE NEED A QB FOR THE FUTURE RIGHT?

39. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I’ve got almost 30 years invested in this team, and I am assuming everyone in here has spent a lot of time invested in the purple and gold. I think we have the right to say “we” and “us”. But mostly I take up a position on my couch on Sundays as I’m in Phoenix.

40. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

As I said Tommy, not every pick is going to turn out good. McCauley and TJax were big risks that didn’t turn out well. (I don’t think McCauley ever overcame his major head injury). Frankly if you think every pick is going to be a star you have no idea how the draft works.

That being said, I think this may be a special teams pick. And if anyone says that is not an important part of the team they have not watched the Vikings recently.

41. By Me on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Yo Tommy T, your calling Jasper Brinkley bad, did you not watch how he helped the vikings defense last year after EJ went down, how is Asher Allen, bad when he has gotten little to no chances to play. Tyrell Johnson isn’t BAD at all. ANd LetRoy Guion is decent

42. By DarrinOT on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Still no Safety, was hoping to avoid a repeat of the cardinals game. !. A QB IS an obious need, Favre is great and invaluable as a mentor in these last few years. I was looking for both a safety and a QB. I like Gerhart. P.S. If your not talking in posessive for when talking about your team then your not a true fan just a voyuer.

43. By con. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

ho hates the loins and cheese and lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol you love hitler you jurk

44. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Don’t forget about Sanford. I think we got him in the 7th last year.

45. By billmaccc on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

As much as I don’t trust Jackson, since Brett has been on the Vikes, Jackson has played much better when in the game. He is learning more from Favre than Brad. I diffenently still trust Studwell’s input of our draft picks. LOOK at the last 3 drafts, and the players that are still on the team.

46. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

NAT…. no… not every drafted guy turns out good, because every year, there are 5-7 guys redrafted, free agents enter the pic, etc…. It’s the question of is multiple services still have guy ranked a heckuva lot higher, then, “reach” for that player than going to the bottom?? I love the Griffen pick.. he was projected a 1st Rd.. It’s THOSE kinda guys I want to see drafted.. Draft a DB that is graded a 7, not a LB that is graded a 3.. See what I mean??? I hope these guys they drafted work out, but I just don’t understand the logic inside the draft rooms.. Don’t you think the Vikes would compare their draft boards to the 10 others and if they see that 7 boards have someone higher than them, that maybe they would re-evaluate.??

47. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Wow, Tommy, learn your draft spots.

Booty: 5th round — took a shot
    Samford: 7th round — do you really expect 7th rounders to be great?
    Alison: 6th round
    Guion: 5th round
    Alexander:6th round
    Johnson: 6th round

And frankly, why are you marking Allen, Brinkley, J Johnson, and Samford as busts already? Do you really expect every player to make an immediate impact? So, I see two complete busts and one very close to a complete bust (Cook, McCauley, TJax). Tyrell gets one more shot before I completely rule him out as a terrible NFL player. If you had more ammo than 4 players and a bunch of 5-7th rounders you would actually have a case.

48. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

did you even watch him play in college he is great at stuffing the run and clogging the holes and is good in pass coverage have faith in our system we dont need a qb this year and the talent out there is not that good anyway they will all take a few years even develop so stop complaining we are far better off with Sage or Tavaris even if Favre doesnt come back

49. By jbork88 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

wow con is a real genius

50. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey ME… Did you ever see me use the word BAD?? Nope.. But i didn’t say good either… Serviceable…. but Samford, Johnson??? You don’t think they would replace them if they could have had guys fall to them in the draft?

51. By TOM on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Pike is still on the board and there are 3 picks before us, we gotta take a chance if he’s there, right?

52. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I like Pike better than Clausen or McCoy, but I don’t think we take a QB. Its not necessary when we have JDB under contract still.

53. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

NAT… excuse me for the Booty post. he was the 2nd pick in the 5th rd..

54. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Tommy T Johnson is coming into his thrid year and Samford was a great special teams player last year made some mistakes but will improve and is coming into his second season I dont think they would replace them we would have drafted Mays instead of Cook with our first pick if that was the case

55. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

No, I don’t think they would replace Jaymar with anyone 5th round or lower. The guy has looked better than a 6th round pick and has improved over the few seasons he has been in Minnesota.

As to Samford, I haven’t seen much on him but he seemed like a solid Special Teams player. Is he replaceable? Yes…but so is almost every other 7th round pick.

56. By Rod Munch on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Everyone’s an expert…. McNabb? really? effin seriously? idiot

57. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

There is your QB pick

58. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

wow, I need to research this one. lol,

59. By Raul 919 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

oh f u c k this management! really u passed up on clausen for a nobody QB!!!!!!! are u f u c k i n g serious! i’m am now a ravens fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

60. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I think they passed on Pike too….?

61. By Rod Munch on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

well good riddance to you then………. tell me wtf makes clausen so special? obviously every other team in the dammmn draft felt he wasnt that special! and i really didnt see anything to make me say wow in his college career. This is your stereotypical case of something being said by the media and everyone hopping onboard……….everyone but the guys who do the choosing! thats why they have the job. idiots like you give me a migraine!

62. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Good size and speed and play qb or reciever

63. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Starting to think Ted Thompson is holding Chilly’s wife for ransom.

64. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Nice pick with this QB Joe Webb….. he graded out with a 2. He is listed as a developmental QB that has alot to learn. Wasn’t Tony Pike still on the board? Pike grades out at 6.6 and was the 6th best QB. I would have understood Jevan Snead from Miss, Zach Robinson from Okl St, Jarret Brown West Virg… These are QBs with good arms and played in big conferences… NAT?? How do you explain this??

65. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hm, Webb, Peterson, Gerhart, and Harvin might make a pretty deadly Wildcat.

66. By Nat on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I was thinking Pike here, but as I said I doubt they chose him for a pure QB. Looking him up I found this comment: “But he flashes good hands and body control, and his elite pro day (4.44-second 40-yard dash, 41.5-inch vertical, 11-5 broad jump, 4.04-second short shuttle, 6.71-second 3-cone drill, 21 bench reps at 225 pounds) made teams wonder if he shouldn’t be a project playerworth taking a chance on late in the third round”.

Listed as a WR in several spots, not a QB.

67. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Webb has a great arm and can run he will be a good project Pike will get killed in the NFL thats why hes on the board still

68. By Malte on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

you can’t say that grade is everything! the vikigns scouts know what they are doing. There’s a reason why they picked the guy. they take a chance, and if they waste the pick, it’s just a 6th round pick. And we do also only have 53 spots on our rooster, so take it easy, we still have all our great starters (excepct Chester taylor) – so we will do great next year aswell. Have some faith in the best team! have some faith in the Vikings!

69. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I trust my team. I’m starting to wonder what kind of undrafted prospects we can lure to camp now.

70. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey waht about the kid Myron Rolle; everything i see is winner. Again very puzzling!!!!

71. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I guess J. Webb is going to be a wide out. could be interesting at 6’3″

72. By DarrinOT on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb, wtf. We had a chance at McCoy and Clausen we end up with… (that’s right I had to google him too)Joe Webb.

73. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Steve, you made a lot of good comments, but Webb is complete garbage. You could have played QB better than him, and you might not even be able to throw a good party.

74. By Tommy T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ok, wheehhhh. Webb will convert to WR… Good night everyone..

75. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I dunno Prince. I went to UAB’s site and J. Webb played 3 sports, is very athletic and was on the honor roll. This seems like a Belechik-esk kind of pick. I think I’m just trying to convince myself now, but he’s a WR as far as we’re concerned.

76. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

What about Riley Cooper, a WR, he was a two sport athlete and smart at FLA. I will give you credit if he possibly runs plays in a wild-cat offense, but other than that, J. Webb should have went after a career in under-water basket weaving!

77. By GreenMezz on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Well, under-water basket weaving may be the secret plan on how to pay for a new stadium.

78. By Prince Jawni on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I thought Brett was that secret plan to get a stadium, but basket-weaving is a booming business with great upside for profits and finanical gain!!!

79. By Lori on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Gotta agree with Josh – Triplett is a great guy with a work horse mentality! I’ve know him for many years and he will give the team everything he has. Do you guys really think that scouting reports are going to list glowing reports on 500 players? Don’t think there’s enough money out there for that… plus you’re not going be seeing him on any police reports, only game highlights.