2010 NFL Draft Recap By Conference, Position and School

Posted by cjsiewert on April 24, 2010 – 6:31 pm

Now that all 255 selections have been made in the 2010 NFL Draft, we can take a look back and dissect what positions were most popular or most-needed, what colleges and universities produced the most selections and which conferences provided the strongest class of draftees.

Going into this year’s draft, it was widely agreed upon that the defensive prospects ran deep at many positions, and that came through with flying colors; DB was by far the most popular draft pick with 52 selected. That means there was an average of at least 1 DB selected every 5 picks. The Vikings followed the popular selection by picking Chris Cook in the 2nd round (34th overall).

Another interesting side note to the popular selection of DB is that the position also produced the most underclassmen selected, with 11.  Coming in 2nd place with the popular selection by position was LB, with 35 selected (5 of which were underclassmen).

The university that proved to have the most NFL-ready players was Florida with 9 selected. The Gators also had the most underclassmen selected with 5. When considering high-profile players selected, Oklahoma produced 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft while 4 Sooners were selected in the 1st round – Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams and Jermaine Gresham.

If you were to look at the 2009 college season and wonder which conference emulated the NFL to a certain degree, it would have to be the Southeastern Conference (SEC), with every team from the conference providing a draft selection – Florida: 9, Alabama: 7, LSU: 6, Tennessee: 6, Georgia: 5, Ole Miss: 4, Kentucky: 3, Auburn: 2, Mississippi State: 2, South Carolina: 2, Vanderbilt: 2 and Arkansas: 1. Also, 49 players were selected from the conference while 12 were underclassmen.

Looking at the Vikings selections, Cook was the only selection from Virginia and Joe Webb was the only selection from UAB.  Many of the Vikings faithful believed that the Purple needed to address the defense as a primary concern and that was answered with 4 defensive selections – Cook, DE Everson Griffen, LB Nathan Triplett and LB Ryan D’Imperio.

Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “2010 NFL Draft Recap By Conference, Position and School”

1. By Coolio on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ryan D’Imperio will play Fullback so he’s not considered a defensive selection.
    I liked the Griffen pick. What do you think?

I have my very own Vikings site check it out at

We also got a hometown guy in Triplett

2. By evan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

good pick

3. By Mike on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Am I seeing things– or does all the physicals of Joe Web really resemble Randy Moss’s Athleticism? I know he doesn’t know the position real well yet– but please tell me that they are genuinely looking at this kid– and are eager to give him a few years of work before releasing him.

4. By Ken Hindmarsh on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Rick this is cousin Ken from California. Good pick with the Stanford
    running back. Dad and I will watch and enjoy the coming season.
    Best Wishes,
    Ken

5. By jj on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

i liked the first 2 picks but i really wish we wouldve traded up for mccoy. after resigning jackson and not drafting ANY qbs ive got a bad feeling about our options at qb. if favre doesnt come back we dont have anyone who can throw the ball with consistency.

6. By Bigfan1 on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I think the selection of Cook and Griffen were great picks and the selection of Gearhart should contribute positive weight to Favre’s upcoming decision.

7. By evan on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

well since webb is going to play reveiver mike, i would assume so

8. By scott farmer on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I think the Vikes should trade, if Favre comes back, Sage and Tavaris and their 2011 first round pick to Pittsburg for Big Ben. Ben has many of Favre’s qualities and with him out just a 1/3 to almost 1/2 a season, Favre could finish out his contract and Vikes don’t miss a step at the QB position in 2011. May help with a stadium push.

9. By Mike F. on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I really think the VIkings missed a golden opportunity to pick what most think is the most NFL ready QB with passing on Jimmy Clausen. With that aside, I really like the Gerhart pick. I think he will prove all of his skeptics wrong as well as provide a 1-2 punch with Peterson. This kid is a Bull, and will be hard to take down between the tackles.

10. By Mike E on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I know they are going to have him Tryout at receiver, but can’t Childress have Joe Webb follow Sydney Rice around like a Dog until he understands the nuances and work ethic it takes for being an effective receiver? Webb is perhaps the most gifted athlete in the draft– there has to be a way to use this kid.

11. By Skol_Vikings on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

The late picks will honestly probably pan out better than the up front picks. I’m 90% certain the Vikings already know what Favre is going to do, but they need the uncertainty to hype the team / get him out of training camp

12. By CA Norwegian on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I like the picks, except the bad student. I do not know about him, but maybe he can make the team. I give an A on the other guys, I am more interested in pre-season than ever now.

13. By Dwight on May 7, 2010 | Reply

With the pending 4-game banishment of the Williams duo–however spurious the accusations by the NFL–the choice of Chris Cook over Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year DT Brian Price in the second round (which we could have traded up for instead of Gerhardt and still taken Cook, btw) and the deliberate pass on moving up in the fifth round to get Pat Williiams play-a-like DT Cameron Thomas from Syracuse looms extremely large.

I hope the Vikings are willing to go out and sign a decent DT after the cutdown……..

14. By awesomeness on May 10, 2010 | Reply

i would have liked jimmy or colt to be the vikes quarterback