2nd Round Draft Picks Under Spielman

Posted by cjsiewert on April 23, 2010 – 3:58 pm

Ever since Rick Spielman took the reigns as the Vikings VP of Player Personnel on May 30, 2006, the Vikings have had some very productive players come out their draft picks in which Spielman oversees – All-Pro RB Adrian Peterson in 2007 and 2009 Rookie of the Year Percy Harvin, just to name a couple.

The Purple have 2 draft picks in the 2nd round (#34 and #62) coming within the next couple of hours, so, let’s take a look at which players have come out of the 2nd round under Spielman’s supervison…

2007 – Sidney Rice (44), WR, South Carolina: Rice has solidified himself as an every-down threat to opposing defenses.  Rice had a career-year last season, pulling in 83 receptions for 1,312 yards and 8 TDs.

2008 – Tyrell Johnson (43), S, Arkansas State: Many Vikings fans may have been upset with Johnson’s production over the past 2 seasons, here’s his 2009 numbers – 15 GP/GS, 57 tackles (48 solo, 9 ast.) and 1 INT. The jury is still out but remember he became a full-time starter in just his 2nd year.

2009 – Phil Loadholt (54), T, Oklahoma: Loadholt had an immediate impact on the Vikings offense in the 2009 season.  The 6-8, 343-pounder started in every game but 1, helping Adrian Peterson rush for over 1,000 yards and Brett Favre throw for over 4,000 yards and 33 TDs.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 30 Comments »

30 Responses to “2nd Round Draft Picks Under Spielman”

1. By Javier Luengas on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

You idiots for not taking clausen.. YOU SUCK!

2. By Andrew Chatelain on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Are you serious????? WHY?!??!?? WHY COOK?!?

I thought the Vikings were all about “taking the best player available” over “team needs”

Im sorry but if you really believe Cook was the best pick available then Id really like to see the guy who makes our draft boards get fired. Cook was FAR from the best player available. WHY IN GOD’S NAME WOULD WE PASS UP ON TAYLOR MAYS?!?!?!?? I can’t even begin to describe my anger and disappointment over what the Vikings have done in the draft so far. Let’s watch Cook who won’t be on the roster in 3 years. FANTASTIC PICK GUYS!! I hope you all lose your jobs. I could certainly address team needs and pick the best guy available better than these guys…. Thank you for shattering my dreams

3. By Steve Carey on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

What about grooming a quarterback of the future! Jackson has proven he is not! Thanks a lot for waisting thepick on cook! We should have traided down !

4. By andre on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

shut up andrew this isnt fantasy football you dont just pick the name. Trust the front office they have had alot of good picks lately so i would wait a little while before you jump to your conclusion

5. By Andy on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Obviously the teams did their due-diligence, having all of this time between rounds to evaluate talent, take offers for trades, etc… Cook was the person on the board the Vikings wanted. Already we’ve had the Browns, Bills, and Chiefs who need a QB skip out on Claussen and McCoy, so the Vikings aren’t only the “stupid” ones. Also, READ THE ARTICLE, Sidney Rice, Tyrell Johnson, and Phil Loadholt have all been awesome picks.

Trust in Spielman.

6. By Shawn on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Spielman come on man, What happens if brett favre doesnt come back and your stuck with T-Jack and Rosenfells. Beg my pardon but dude both those guys wouldnt be starting anywhere not in the nfl, cfl anywhere. Jimmy would have sat for one year learned from favre and would have done just fine. Or he would have sat for five games while we start 2-3 then save. Cooks good smart choice but not the right one.

7. By Shawn on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Now Mays is gone

8. By Joseph on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Remember there is still alot of QB talent left and just wait and see on how cook preforms before we jump to anything

9. By kevin stanfield on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

This pick is gonna be a gamble. Brett Favre has one more year that’s if he comes back, everyone thinks so but I’m not so sure. Either way, why would you not take Jimmy Clausen? He was thought to be a mid 1st pick, I don’t see the reasoning of picking Cook, I think you could have got a pick in the 3rd or 4th round wth Cook’s talent.

10. By Mistavista on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Bah…. Claussen is Brady Quinn part 2… My confidence is in the front office… their picks over the last 3 years have been quite productive.

11. By Ronzie on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the comments above about Clausen, Spielman is a pretty good Judge when it comes to talent, but whats going on this year. We need a DT cause Pat Williams is catching up to Brett in years, plus we need a quarterback to groom behind Brett, and who better than Brett to groom one. Now that Clausen is off the board I hope they Choose either McCoy or Pike if there still available when they pick next.

12. By DanB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

That’s it. Not taking a future pro bowl QB is one thing. Staying put and taking a big corner with some speed at a position of need is ok. But Gerhart? Not only that, but trading back up to get him? Are you guys NUTS? He’s an average back in the NFL. He doesn’t have breakaway speed, and at best plow the middle and be beaten up and broken down by his third season. What’s the plan? Taking touches away from Peterson? TRADING Peterson? This is a terrible move guys. TERRIBLE. If you don’t like Claussen, which I think is wrong, ok, I can respect that. I don’t like it and I don’t agree, but fine. But this just REEKS of NO THOUGHT PROCESS. I am a fan sitting at home that is now considering putting all my Vikings apparel away. I quite seriously may not attend or watch a football game this year. Words fail to describe how upset and frustrated with the Vikings 2010 draft.

13. By DanB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Claussen was the best QB in this draft, maybe the best player overall. Vikes had him fall into their laps TWICE and passed. They WILL regret it.

McCoy is Kyle Orton 2, and Pike outright sucks. If they get a young qb to groom it better be Lefevor.

I am SO disappointed.

14. By Melon Head on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

This is a good pick. The secondary really needed help. I believe we should have taken a LB with the second pick not a fullback.

15. By vikelifer on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Come on give T-Jack a break,he got us to the playoffs the yr B.F.(Before Favre)I do believe.So get off his ass I’m not saying he should play before Favre,but if the Vikes could get some pass protection or run blockers they were terrible late in the year and look like they were paid to open the floodgates against the Saints.I know the Officials were paid off.And if Peterson could hold on to the ball we would be Superbowl Champs.

16. By vikelifer on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Dan B if your going to put your Viking apparel away how old are you?Do you remember how they traded away their future on Hershal Walker a total flop.Toby is a solid player,a load, if the O-line can’t open up holes for Pete maybe he will plus he can plow over the goal line.

17. By Jim Brown on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

vikelifer you make some good points, I remmember the Joe Capp saga…This should be our year…We have all the ingrediants back from last years stew!

18. By Jim Brown on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

But it was Ferrote that got us to the playoffs the year before….T-jack a belive is a work in progress…as was Rich Gannon….we gave up on him..Tarkenton we traded him and were lucky enough to get back

19. By Jim Brown on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

By the way when is Jim Marshall going to get in the Hall?

20. By DanB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Lifer and Brown: I’m old enough to have seen both good and bad Vikes, and football smart enough to know that this is a bad move for the Vikes for multiple reasons. What you both seem to forget is that since Wilf bought the team, the Vikes have had good, maybe even spectacular drafts. The decision makers of yesteryear have no bearing on what I believed was one of the premeire front offices in the league. Year one, they got Greenway. Then AD AND Rice in the same draft. Then they traded off their first round for Allen. And last year, they got great values in Harvin, Asher Allen, Brinkley and Loadholt. The track record HAD been good. And THAT is why I am considering putting away my Vikes apparel. In today’s NFL, if you aren’t getting better, you’re getting worse. How does Gerhart improve us? By taking touches away from the most dynamic back in the game? By allowing the flexability to TRADE the most dynamic running back in the game? Yes, I think the Vikes right now have a Superbowl contending team. But there were some needs that should have been addressed that were not. I like Chris Cook, but I’m not in love with the pick. And I LIKE Gerhart. He’s a hard worker and, as you say, a load. But what can he do that AD or Young can’t? He’s a third round talent, and the Vikes traded away extra picks to move back back up in the 2nd round to get him. If they were going to make a move there, get Cody to replace Pat or Sean Lee to replace Leber when both are gone after this coming season. Maybe take Everson Griffin to replace Edwards who will also be gone after the season. Just SOMETHING that demonstrates some common sense and thought process. Add this to passing on the best QB in this draft not once but TWICE, and, hmm, I guess I might have reason to lose faith in the Vikings front office.

21. By Shawn on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I just dont see why we traded up for Toby when he would have been there eleven spots later and we would have still had our 3rd round pick

22. By Shawn on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

And give T-Jack a break i did for two years and he got us nothing but heart break, But so did favre when he tried taking the saints by himself. But no i’m not letting them have any excuses this year. AP will hopefully fix the fumbles and Favre needs to play like a team player not act like one after touchdowns

23. By Jim Brown on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

The whole thing centers on Favre return…..not wanting to upset him….Mcbabb would have outplayed ethier Cody or Colt… if these are business moves why do we not have McNabb he wanted to play for the Vikes and also is a proven QB…Peterson was risk because of is sholder injury….Harvin I never really heard of until Draft Day… Spielman is a great judge of talent… I say we give each pick a chance! Without this draft we are I believe a playoff team and could make a push for the superbowl with Favre…Favre also has said he doesn’t like to teach upcoming QB’s., too bad…I think we needto look hard at MLB…Henderson is a great and tough player but he always has got hurt…Brinkley isn’t Henderso but has his own unique skills…..lets see the rest of the draft

24. By lee12akma on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

The picks were not bad- the players were adequate and can definitely fill in the roles as needed. But really, 2nd round 2nd pick for Chris Cook? Trading 2nd round and 3rd round picks to get Toby Gerhart? The problem with those picks was that CB and HB positions could have been filled at a later part of the draft, considering how deep the positions are. QB is one of the positions we need to consider- we can’t just sit and wait to see whether Brett Favre will return or not. Even if he does, he only has this season before his contract expires. My biggest disappointment was throwing away the chance to get Jimmy Clausen. Jimmy Clausen is a QB that the Vikings had the chance to draft, and perhaps he could be even better than Sam Bradford because he’s been groomed to be used to the pro-offense style. If not Jimmy Clausen, the Vikings definitely missed the chance to draft Colt McCoy who could have also been a great addition. Moreover, Vikings also lost chances to draft DT who could potentially replace Pat Williams when he retires. The players who were picked are not bad players – but they were drafted way too early for their value, or too many picks were wasted in trying to draft them. I really hope to see a QB drafted into the team, who can be groomed as a QB who will take over Brett Favre’s role when he retires. No offense to Tarvaris Jackson but I honestly do not see him as a capable QB who can take over Favre’s role and bring the Vikings to the Superbowl. Overall quality of players of the draft today: Good players. Overall 1st-2nd round draft: Terrible.

25. By Josh on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

lee, while i’m not a huge fan of cook and thought there were better corners available, the pick makes a load of sense. DB was a postion we definitely needed to address and we have it squared away. we also needed a backup to ap and we did that in the best way. a power 3rd down back who is a beast to bring down. Not a fan of giving up a 3rd in order to get him but have faith in our GM. As the article above shows he’s done a good job so far. And as far as replacing Pat Williams, dont worry about it. He’s still here this year. And as far as getting Jimmy Clausen or McCoy….you cannot seriously be a fan of the game of football. Or maybe thats just the problem, you are too much a fan and not a realist. How can you not see that we are built to win now? How can you not see that drafting Jimmy Clausen would have done NOTHING to help us win. Let’s say Favre doesnt come back, throw Clausen in to the mix and we would go 8-8, we would stand a better chance with TJack or Rosenfels. Drafting a rookie QB would be ridiculous. Especially when there is a plethora of great ones coming out next year. Please use logic and reasoning when evaluating our draft. It helps us win now and that is what its all about for the time being.

26. By RON on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I BEEN A VIKING FAN FOR 33 YEARS THEY HAVE A GOOD TEAM I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO SEEN THEM TAKE CLAUSEN AND I HAVE MY DOUTS ABOUT COOK AND TOBY SOUNDS LIKE A BIG POWER BACK THAT CAN CATCH TO HELP REPLACE TAYLOR WHO IN MY MIND LOSEING HIM WILL HURT US BUT ARE DRAFT LATELY HAS BEEN GREAT THE PAST 3 YEARS AND I WILL WAIT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS TOBYS COLLEGE STATS ARE PRETTY DAM GOOD AND AT SOME POINT AP MAY GET HURT SO YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY BACKS.BUT I THINK WE NEEED OFFENSIVE LINEMAN THAT WAS A BIG PROBLEM AND WE OVER RATE THE GUYS ON THE LEFT SIDE AND WAY OVER PAY FOR THERE NAMES I USE TO THINK ALOT OF BRYNT MC BUT HE SUCKED LAST YEAR BLOCK WE HAVE THE BEST BACK THERE IS BESIDE HIS FUMBLES .WE NEED TO ADD SOME FREE AGENTS AFTER THE DRAFT OTHER TEAMS WILL CUT SOME BIG NAMES .WE NEED OFFENSIVE LINEMAN STILL THINK WE NEED SHOOT DOWN CORNER LB DT FOR PAT AND EDWARDS ISNT THE PLAYER HE THINKS WITH OUT ALLEN AND THE WILLIAMS IF SO PROVE IT

27. By DanB on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Josh: The pick of Claussen wouldn’t have been about now, on that you are right. But it would have widened the window of the Vikings ability to compete. Claussen was the best qb in this draft. Maybe the best player overall. ANd he was ours for the taking…TWICE. Rest assured that 3-5 years from now, we’ll regret not picking him. You are correct in your assertion that there is alot of good QB prospects next year. But who can say how that’ll shake out? Perhaps we’d get Locker (Good), perhaps we get Pryor (worse than bad). Add to that the fact that you’d have the luxury of sitting Claussen a year to acclimate and learn, and you realize that not drafting him sets the team back 2-3 years.

Now, as for your assertion that this draft is about winning now, please explain to me how this years draft helps us win now? Griffen was a great value, but right NOW, we don’t need a DE. Gerhart is a decent power back, but he has no speed and runs far to upright. How does he improve us other than to take touches AWAY from AP? What does he offer that the Vikes cant get from Young or Reynaud or whomever we could have gotten by standing pat, assuming Gerhart was actually gone? (doubtful) McKnight was there for sure, as well as any of a number of others. And while I like Cooks potential, it being tough to find 6’2″ corners with speed, how does he make the team better when we already have Sheppard, Winfield and Sapp until Griffin returns? Please, when flaming someone and asking them for some thought process, I’d ask you to “Please use logic and reasoning when evaluating our draft.”

28. By duet sport clog|デュエット スポーツ クロッグ on Jul 5, 2014 | Reply

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post plus the rest of the website is really
    good.

29. By tシャツ半袖 disney print s stee on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

There is certainly a great deal to know about this issue.
    I like all the points you’ve made.

2. Apr 24, 2010: Vikings Blog