Will Sheppard Signing Affect Vikings 1st Round Selection?

Posted by cjsiewert on April 22, 2010 – 6:15 am

With news of CB Lito Sheppard signing with the Vikings late Wednesday afternoon, new speculation has begun on who the Vikings will select with the 30th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

The strong consensus among draft pundits before the Sheppard signing was that the Vikings would select a CB in the 1st round due to the fact that Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield are recovering from injuries and may not be available for the start of the 2010 season.  Signing Sheppard has indeed alleviated concerns with the Purple’s secondary and now has draftniks re-evaluating the Vikings 1st round selection.

Will they take a QB to mold under the tutelage of Brett Favre?  Will they select a LB or defensive lineman to bolster the defensive front?  Or will they draft another CB to add depth to a newly beefed-up secondary?

What I take from this signing is that it gives the Vikings more ammunition to acquire what they really want with their 1st overall selection.

The Vikings are a team built to win this season.  With a solid core of players on the current roster, the Vikings could possibly use pick #30 to trade down with another team.  Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman mentioned yesterday in the pre-draft press conference that they are not going to reach for a player to simply fill a position, but rather take the best available player on their board.

I mention that the Vikings could trade down mainly on the basis of all the hype surrounding Florida QB Tim Tebow.  I don’t see the Vikings taking Tebow in the 1st round, but if he is still available when it comes time for the Vikings selection, they could trade with another team that really wants the former Heisman Trophy winner.

This year’s crop of defensive players runs deep in many different positions and trading down to gain possibly another 2nd round pick wouldn’t hurt.  I could be wrong here.  This is just one blogger’s opinion on yet another exciting offseason move.

What do you take from the signing in regard to the Vikings 1st overall selection? Share your thoughts in the comments section below this entry.

Also, be sure to check out vikings.com’s 1st ever Mock Draft and voice your opinion.

Tags: , ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 47 Comments »

47 Responses to “Will Sheppard Signing Affect Vikings 1st Round Selection?”

1. By macrae on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I am a huge Vikings fan but I am from Australia so I have never really followed the draft closely until this year. I would really like someone to elaborate on the logic of trading down as this seems a bit backwards to me… The blog makes reference to how much depth we currently have and I would certainly agree, so why would we trade down? isn’t trading down a move that a team should make if they need to fill many holes and add depth? I thought our depth would be considered a luxury that would allow us to move up and add some really special players, because we don’t have to worry about picking a large quantity of players. We certainly have the capability to move up with the number of late round picks we have… and our roster is relatively full already. Someone please explain why we would move down???? Ok, I’m off to feed my kangaroo. Peace

2. By jj on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

they would trade down to pick up more picks. the idea is to get more picks and still be able to pick th eplayer they want.

3. By mikewobschall on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Good question. There are a couple of reasons you’d trade down.

1) It’s your turn to pick at #30, but of the players remaining in the draft, you don’t value any of them as a 30th overall pick. You don’t want to select someone earlier than you value them. So you’d trade back with a team who is targeting a certain player that’s still on the board. This allows that team to get their player, and it gives you more picks later in the draft.

2) Let’s say it’s your turn at #30 and there are 3 players on the board that you value as a 30th overall pick or better and you’d be happy with any of them. In that instance, it behooves you to trade back with a minimum of 2 teams because then you are guaranteed of getting 1 of the 3 players you like PLUS you’ll get at least 1 additional pick later in the draft.

4. By Saxgaard on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

@ Macrae
    I am a huge Vikings Fan too…but I am from Germany…;)
    I have the same problem and would like to know why we should trade down?

5. By Saxgaard on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Ohh… i was too slow
    Thanks Mike for your explanation!

6. By ben on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Take TEBOW

7. By Curtis on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Being a huge vikings fan i can not decide what the vikings should do. What I would not do is draft Tebow or McCoy. My reason is because Tavaris Jackson has shown signs of improvement and with 2 years under Brett Favre he is bound to have some major improvement as well. As for trading down the pick i have no say I do not what to do. I would like to see them use this pick wisely but not on a QB. If Farve doesnt come back then maybe their is a reason to draft first round. I would wait for the later rounds where the Qb’s that alot of people have said arent as good. You may be suprised what you may get in the later rounds,

8. By Chris Stone on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

TAYLOR MAYS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPERBOWL HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. By KP on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

They would also trade down because of money. If you believe you can get the player you want at 32 or lower it benefits you to trade down rather than pick them at 30 because there will be a significant difference in contract size when comparing higher and lower picks.

10. By Dustin Ramage on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I say Taylor Mays or Brian Price if either is available. I’m very happy with the signing of Sheppard, great move!

11. By 4eversteve on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Trading down gives more flexibility and options, with this draft being so deep you can get players in the 2nd , 3rd, and maybe even in the 4th round on your draft board that might be better fit in your system. So you get value at the picks and create more competition at more positions to come out of training camp with a better chance of winning a championship in the in the player personnel and coaching staffs minds

12. By Brad on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care who the Vikings draft because whoever the Vikings draft, It will be a good pick. I trust the Vikings when It comes to drafting- 2006- Chad Greenway, Cedric Griffin, and Ray Edwards, 2007- Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Brian Robison, 2008- Three Picks for Jared Allen, 2009- Percy Harvin, Phil Loadholt, Jasper Brinkley. Ever since Chilly got here, we have had exceptional drafts

13. By Brett Farve on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Take Tim Tebow. A great QB makes the team better, not a no-name dime a dozen DB.

14. By Brett Farve on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Draft Troy Williamson, and Erasmus James again if at all possible!!!!

15. By rap99 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Would love to see Mays in purple, but doubt he’ll make it past 10-15. Did anyone read the Kevin Sieffert blog on TJ, very interesting.

16. By Ben on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Brad, do the names Troy Williamson and Tarvaris Jackson ring a bell? Yes, we’ve had good picks, but we’ve also had disasters.

The fact of the matter is that the Vikings have been consistently unwilling to invest in QB. QB isn’t one of those bargain-shopping positions–we NEED to take one in the first round to ensure success at the position. Clausen if he slips, or Tebow/McCoy, even though they would be a reach.

17. By malte on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i would say that brad is right. the vikings do draft very very good. we should not fear the draft at all. I know the coaches will make the right decisions. When jasper brinkley had to step up and forfill E.J. Henderson role he did it very very well for a rookie. and had some quite good games. I trust the vikings team because I know they just got so much RAW talent and passion in the game! SKÅL vikings (that’s how to spell it :b I’m from the northern Europe, where the vikins lived :b)

18. By 4eversteve on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

A lot of people want Tebow with the Vikings first pick. I’m sure he will make some head coach a fine son-in-law some day, but we need a quarterback of the future not one that is considered a project and may or may not pan out for us. We already have one on the roster that fits that description. If he were to slide way down and I’m say 4th round maybe and that might be a stretch then and only then should they pull the trigger on the pick.

19. By malte on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Your are completely wrong there Ben. We do not NEED to take a special position. We will draft the best available, not a NEED. If we draft a QB in the first round it would be lame. It would be taking a 2-3 round talent in the 1 round. I think it would be wasting our pick. Take the best available and roll with it.

20. By Brad on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Ben,
    Of course not every pick can be a good one, but I am referring to the drafts since Childress got here, Yeah Jackson isn’t so great, but the majority of those draft picks have been very good. Troy Williamson was before Chilly got here btw

21. By Andre on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I have been a vikings fan since I was a child. That said I strongly believe that T-Jack could be successuful in the vikings offense if Childress will let him open it up and run it like Farve does. The thought of getting Tebow does peak my intreast but, I will say this Farve is done after this season. McNabb hasn’t signed an extension in DC yet so We could give Tebow 1 year behind Farve and 2 behind McNabb and then let him start in his 4th season ala Aaron Rodgers who is only good becasue he sat for 3 years. Now Under the same scenario with T-Jack in 3 seasons he will be 6 years in and we could be looking to be the cowboys of the 010’s if we can keep him on the roster that long. I would like to see them start drafting for the future behind Pat Williams or move up /hope that one of the top 2 Guard prospects fall to us at 30 in Pouncey or The kid from Idaho who could help us in the run game and protection of our veteran “cough” QB’s.

22. By Ben on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

malte, so if Clausen slipped to 30, the Vikings would pass him up? Wouldn’t you say he’d be the best on the board at that point? I would argue that yes, we do need to invest in QB–something we haven’t done since Culpepper. None of our current QBs are long-term investments. Favre is a win-now solution, and TJ and Rosenfels shouldn’t be more than career backups.

Brad, apologies about the Williamson error. I completely agree with you about our recent picks–most have been phenomenal. All I’m saying is that we can’t just assume the Vikes will make all the right decisions this year. They’ve made several missteps in past drafts, and are sure to again soon.

23. By Jon on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Trading down is good in a few ways. One way is to add more players hopefully filling more holes within the team. The second reason is to save a little money. This is supposedly the deepest draft in a long time where the 2nd and 3rd rounds are going to be full of great “values”. (We wil know how deep a draft this was in 3-4 years). By trading down from the first round, the Vikings can probably get a mid second rounder and a mid third rounder. I think this will give them 3 3rd round picks which would be great. Thirdly these picks can also be traded for picks next year as well increasing the probability that the Vikings can keep building a GREAT roster for years to come. The more picks a team has the more “firepower” they have when it comes to trades also (Forth reason). The Patriots are well known for trading down to grab more picks and better value players. Their record shows that this indeed works if your personel director is good. The Vikings have one of the best in the league. First round picks in my opinion are “lets grab the best available player, hope he doesnt hold out for more money and pray that hes worth his contract.” Most first rounders never live up to their contracts.

Hope this helped and if I was wrong or missed anything please explain :) Hope your Kangaroo is doing well!

24. By Malte on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

yes ben if clausen is there at 30 I think it would be stupid to pass on him. I see him as a top 20 talent. But I really doubt that he will end at that spot. And I would say crab Bradford it he would fall down there (Not possible in any way though :b)
    But i Really can’t see how Clausen would be there. how ever if he is I think we should go get him, but it’s not a NEED to go after a QB just because he’s a QB. And i think every QB execpt Clausen and Bradford isen’t worthy at the 30rd overall pick. So I think it would be taking a 2-3 round talent in the first round, and I can’t see any sence at all in that move.

25. By Malte on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

And ben you got to look at the market. There is not a big depth at the QB position this year. So maybe we will invest at a QB at the 3-4 spot, but I doubt it. There are way better options for us next year. And yes then the drafted QB might get to play in his rookie season, but I surely hope that he will sit a year or two so hear can learn the NFL. Brad childress is know for being a good QB coach. And lets not make fun of TJ. He might got something. Against cardinals he made 4 touchdown trows and the last 3 game of 08 season he had the highest QB rating, higher than Payton Manning. So he can develop into something real. We don’t know how much he learned by sitting behind Favre either. Look at the talent his got around him.

26. By Wild Bill on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Forget about Tebow and take Mays. Tebow is a college QB and will be a bust in the pro’s. Mays all way!!

27. By Burnem83 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Quit comparing Tebow and Mccoy with Jackson Lost all hope with Jackson and everyone else needs to also. He is just a waste of time for the vikings. Can’t everyone see that. You Can’t make CHICKEN SALAD with CHICKEN SH*T

28. By rap99 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Malte????!!!!????? Your going to compare TJ to Manning???? Are you on acid?? No, your wrong, we should make fun of TJ, and you for that post. That was against teams with nothing to play for. Read the Kevin Sieffert blog about TJ.

29. By ace on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

draft tim tebow!! tayor mays is good but he wont take you to the super bowl, tim will! with a year under farve it will help he gain an understand on how to be an elite QB. he is the best fit for the vikings!!!

30. By SkolVikings on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I have more faith in TJ than most of you… I just don’t want another John David Booty for a first round pick.

31. By Malte on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I know that it is a very creazy comparising but even though a team have nothing to play for putting up passer rating at 128 isen’t bad? wouldn’t you agree? I just say that he is better than people think, and look how much RAW talent the vikings got. Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bx2, Visanthe Shiancoe, AP and so on. It’s a team full of talent. And with the defence there will not be much presure at him. He can make a good run, but i know it will be nothing like favre, manning, bress, and so on. but I would just say don’t rush into taking a QB when the talent isen’t there. Wait untill next year, and talent will be around. TJ can get the vikings to the playoff. This is a very very talentfull team

32. By Scott on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I honestly wish we would have made the move on Brady Quinn when the Browns traded him. He had a decent end to the season last year, and I think with even a LITTLE protection he would be a good QB. Plus, with the running game we have, it would have freed him up a bit. Jamal Lewis wasn’t exactly helping him out last year, and only when Harrison started having some great games at RB was he able to break out.

33. By rap99 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree, don’t take a QB just for the sake of getting a QB. No hurry

34. By rap99 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

ESPN mock draft now has Tebow and Clausen still on the board at 30. I would still take Mays if he’s still there. Thoughts?

35. By Shawn on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I would be happy with the Vikes getting Colt McCoy.

I think he has the ability to be an NFL QB with a year of development. I don’t think that Tebow has ever demonstrated having many of the attributes that make NFL QBs great, other than coming from a winning organization with a great team surrounding him. Tebow reminds me of all the years back when people would talk about why Heisman Trophy winners don’t usually translate into good NFL prospects.

If Colt is gone at 30, which I think he very well may be. Then I am hoping that either Iupati or Pouncey have fallen to us. If not, then I would take

36. By Shawn on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

McCourty or Mays, or anyone else that may have fallen past where they are valued on the Draft Board.

37. By James on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Just to put in my two cents. Everyone is talking about QB’s and DB’s lets not forget that at the end of the season The offensive line particularly the tackles looked shaky at best. Brett took some viscious hits late in the season. With that said I do believe it is time to get rid of TJ. He is an athletic QB, but with all of our talent we don’t need another runner, we need a guy who can distribute the ball and control the field. Let also remember that Sage is still there and he is more of a pocket QB. Watching the sidelines last season Brett seemed to spend much more time talking to Sage than to TJ. That last o0ne was just food for thought.

38. By vikings012 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

we have great offensive weapons in peterson, harvin, rice, berrian, and shaincoe. if we add tebow to our roster how could he not be great. hes an improving QB and can only go up where as jackson is who he is he wont improve much more so atleast give him a chance he has great players around him and a friendly face to throw to in harvin tebow is a great leader, will motivate our team. and most important hes a winner and thats all that matters so i say give tebow a chance and lets see what happens

39. By vikings012 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

everyone talks about mays hes pretty good but could end up being a huge bust as well he could be good or just another tyrell johnson he can hit but cant read plays and thats why he might struggle in the nfl i say go for tebow give him a shot

40. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Rap99 – If Clauson somehow falls to pick 30 it’s hard to say draft some1 else. But if your scenario exists with Mays also there, it would have to depend on what the staff sees in Jackson.

I know you are confident that Jackson can never improve because you never learned anything new since puberty, but that’s not the case with everybody. Just take a look at Kurt Warner. He went undrafted and took a long time to develop and become a championship QB. Sure he had some bad years after that before moving to AZ and bringing in championships again. Over the last couple of years he has been the leader in taking the Cardinals to the playoffs. This is just one out of countless examples of players who were counted out of the game early in their career, but then came back and became stars.

Jackson is starting his 5th year, we haven’t seen much from him since Brett took over, and we may not yet see much of him until the 2011 season. But if the coaching staff refuses to write him off, they must be seeing something good on the way. I am confident that they are all much more intelligent on the subject than anybody posting on this webpage.

41. By Robin S. on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Tim Tebow is very strong and will always give his best. I would love to see him learn from Brett. Colt McCoy barely got hit and was hurt badly. I don’t think he is strong enough to make it. Tim would soak up everything Brett would teach him and Tim would be very appreciative. Rodgers was always jealous of Brett and never appreciated the fact that he got to learn from the best plus stay healthy while Brett played his heart out. Brett has so much knowledge and it would be crazy not to take advantage of him. He is the greatest. Love you Brett!

42. By doug on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Let’s do Devin McCourtey @30, try to trade TJ and Berrian (maybe to Pitt. who may lose Big Ben and did lose Santonio Holmes)for an earlier 2nd round and go for Colt McCoy who is already a west coast offense guy. I just don’t think Tebow has the skill set for the pros. His running in the pros will get him killed. Let’s also sign Flozell to a 1 yr. and get some much needed depth at OL. If all works out then try for Brandon Spikes at our pick @ 62.

43. By steve on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

They better not take Tebow. You know and i know we need a solid offesive lineman. handle it!

44. By Vikings1 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Since the Vikings have traded their draft choice, anybody have a clue as to who they will draft with the #2 pick from Detroit?

45. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

There are still 2 QBs available that were expected to go early in the 1st round (Clausen & McCourty). This is a perfect scenario for anyone who was begging for a QB of the future, as the Rams have already drafted a QB the only way either of them will be selected is if the Rams trade down, which seems unlikely with what the Rams would demand.

46. By Brad on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Um PurplePeopleEaters, Devin Mccourty is a DB not a QB…. second I know it would probably be dumb, but what about Tony Pike with pick 93? Anyone?

2. Apr 22, 2010: Vikings Blog