Spielman Talks Offseason, Draft with Paul Allen on ‘Vikes Tonight’

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on April 9, 2010 – 8:20 am

Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman recently joined the voice of the Vikings, Paul Allen, on KFAN’s new show entitled “Vikes Tonight,” which airs live on KFAN AM 1130 in the Twin Cities, and can also be heard via the FAN Radio Network and live on KFAN.com on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. CST.  Spielman talked about the on-going NFL offseason and of course the upcoming NFL Draft, which gets underway on April 22.

Click here to listen / download the first episode, which aired on April 8, and future episodes can be listened to / downloaded via KFAN’s FAN On Demand section of their website.

Also, stay tuned to vikings.com over the next few weeks as we’re scheduled to hold a live chat with Spielman in the days leading into the Draft that will allow fans to interact with the architect of their favorite team.

Tags: ,
Posted in All | 58 Comments »

58 Responses to “Spielman Talks Offseason, Draft with Paul Allen on ‘Vikes Tonight’”

1. By Adam Johnson on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I feel that we should draft a QB in the 1st round so that he has a chance to learn the game from one of the best players to ever play the game in Brett Favre. The way the Draft is shaping up, there should be McCoy or Tebow still available and by letting them learn just as Aronn Rodgers did in Greenbay, would help the Minnesota Vikings for years to come. McCoy is proven as a winner in his days at Texas and Tebow has proven that he his very intelligent especially when it comes to the game of football.

I might even be interested in talking with the Redskins and getting Haynsworth and Portis. 2 positions that we need help with and by filling those voids, we can look to more pressing matters like MLB and CB. If you gave up a 2nd round and a 4th plus a conditional pick. The Vikings would also be able to get a CB in the 3rd. It is obvious that the Redskins don’t think highly of Haynsworth especially if they would rather part with him instead of a 2nd round pick for McNabb, and it proves that some other teams feel the same way (Eagles). If that is done, then the Vikings can start filling gaps where ever they need with having the base of the team in order.

2. By Brandon Wheeler on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Ok let me begin by stating that I am a 1 year Vikings fan (born and raised in Kentucky, NFL free agent fan), coming over with Favre (who was my child hood hero) from the disloyal Packer club. Having put that out there, I have been watching the Vikings for 17 years, hence being a Favre fan, and the one thing that has stood out to me (during the period when I rooted against the Vikings) is that the team used to lack class off the field, and leadership on the field. The Vikings aren’t used to having a LEADER leading the offense by example and we have a key oppurtunity to draft one of the most winningest QBs and greatest people to ever come out of the college ranks in Tim Tebow. I truely want to continue to wear purple on Sundays, and stay a Vikings fan and drafting a guy like Tim Tebow will create an awesome culture to the city of Minnesota. My message to Rick is, please for the love of the game, the team and city, draft Tim Tebow. Lets bring a positive role model to the team that our little boys can look up to both on the field and in the community. Thanks for your time, take care and God bless!

3. By Tyrell Smith on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree with Brandon-draft TEBOW! The man screams class, and will represent the classiness of Minnesota and win games! Draft Tebow!

4. By curtis on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

that would be a great move to get tim tebow on the vikings learning from brett favre after favre retires who better then tim tebow can get the ball to percy harvin
    i like the sound of tim tebow could be a viking that would be huge for the vikings
    the man wont let us down he is a positive person on and off the field

5. By mike on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

move up for clauson…great fit for us he can stepin right away if favre retires or he can sit behind him for a year and start next year…Clauson would be able to see a great QB in Favre and have Peterson with him along with good WR, OL and defense along wirh coaches who love making QBs great

6. By Lance on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Beef up the secondary. Get Mays and Mcourty. I don’t want to even think about any other qb than Brett Favre. But if I have to, then I say Tebow. His work ethic is outstanding and he has a good relationship with Percy.

7. By guest on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

we want Brett back!

8. By VikingFreak on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I think we should draft a CB like Kyle Wilson in the first round, then Tebow in the second round because we could develop him into a dominate starter. If Tebow is already gone then we go for a HB like Jahvid Best Or Toby Gerhart.

9. By Ryan on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Tebow in the FIRST round. This kid is a once in a life time kind of leader and will have time under Favre to develop his throwing technique and NFL level reads. Peyton Manning has proven that intelligence and leadership at the QB position is invaluable, while every year there is a new atheletically impressive QB coming up the ranks. We cannot afford to pass on this caliber of professional leadership within the Vikings organization, both on and off the field. I like Gerhart in the second round because he would give us the ability to develop a grinding ground game and he has exceptional pass catching capabilities for 3rd down situations. These caharacteristics will make him an excellent compliment to Peterson’s homerun hitting approach to the running game. Then we can get a CB in the 3rd, it is quite possible Cook will even still be around. That’s my two cents worth. SKOL!!

10. By Rick on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Ryan, Tebow, then Gerhart, then CB’s

11. By dave on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

first of all,i dont care how good Tebow was at Florida,he will not be nowhere near that in the pros..there is no team in the league that runs an option every single down,it is too fast of a league for that,and he will not make it as a QB in the NFL anyways…as for McCoy you can get him in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd cause there are not alot of teams looking high at QB’s this year…if he is gone before that then take a look at Dan LaFevour,he has all the mechanics and the heart to be a big time star in the NFL…we need CB’s more than any other position…CB,S,G/C,QB,DT

12. By Brandon Wheeler on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Everyone needs to see this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vc7GO0wd00

13. By Adam DeWall on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree we need a quarterback t-jack won’t win us a super bowl. I believe that we should either trade up for a quarterback if tebow or especially clausen is available for us to get i thing they would both value from learning from the legend. (Brett Farve) I belive that either one would learn things that would help us for years to come we have a young offense that is very good but we lack a quarterback of the future.

14. By Donnie on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

TIM TEBOW!!!!!!!!

15. By Viking-ology on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I concur. We need a franchise QB in the first round. The Vikes have made great choices the past few years, I think they will make the right choice again.

16. By fmfan on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

we need to go D in the draft. 1st- Mays s; 2nd- Robinson cb; 3rd- Jackson cb, Price, Houston or Williams dt,( Pouncey c if still there ); 4th or 5th round should be Decker-WR …

17. By Dave Pettis on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

With the shortage of quality wide recievers; why can’t we trade Bernard Berrian for a couple of draft picks? We have Rice and Harvin and good competition for the number three. Multiple picks would serve more needs and more competition for backup rolls and special teams. B Berrian should still have high value to another team somewhere

18. By VikingFreak on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I think Tebow would be an awesome fit in the pros and then mabey McCourty. Gerhart runs up the middle like AP so it may be a gamble

19. By GUNZ on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I think that the Vikes should suggest a trade with Oakland for the first Round Picks. The Vikes would give up the 30th pick and TJack or Sage for Oakland pick. We then would draft Bradford or Clausen (Whoever is available).

20. By chad on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Tebow would be a better fit then bradford….pray…

21. By Ben on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Lets be honest, a first round QB is most likely not going to happen. We’ll probably pick up a DB on the first day and maybe get a QB in later rounds. I would be shocked if the Vikings went after Tebow in any round. Yes, he’s a high character guy and a proven winner, but he’s at least a two year project that in the end could still not work out. I like Tebow a lot, but QB’s need to be able to make quick decisions and read defenses well to succeed in the NFL. In both of these categories Tebow comes up short. The Vikings draft by ranking not by need. I don’t believe at pick number thirty Tebow would be their highest ranked player.

22. By Derek on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

You cannot sit there and say that Tebow would not be a good quarterback in the NFL. Unless you can read minds, you should not be able to say such things. I sure didn’t think Tom Brady would have been a good quarterback. As well as Joe Montana or Van Brocklin, etc. Do not make assumptions because you do not know how well he will learn. He can already throw the ball great.

23. By Ben on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

First of all, don’t assume I’m sitting. Second of all, I never said Tebow wouldn’t be a success. I said he struggles in important categories and any team that drafts him has a lot of work to do. Thirdly, guys like Brady and Montana were not handicapped with a wildcat offense like Tebow at Florida. I wish the best for the guy, but I don’t think it’s worth the risk to go after a guy with blatant flaws in a QB weak draft. Brady and Montana were not physical specimens, but coaches believed they had qualities that translated to the NFL level. Tebow does not read coverages well, does not get the ball out quick enough, and doesn’t throw with great accuracy for the NFL level. It is going to be a long and uncertain road for Tebow once he enters the NFL. All I’m saying is that the Vikings would be better served looking else where.

24. By Derek on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Ben, my wasn’t response directed towards you. It was directed to Dave, who said he would not be a good QB in the NFL. We can never make assumptions on how good someone can do until they actually get here. I hope he has a thriving career, whether it be with the Vikings, or some other team.

25. By VikingFreak on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Haha Ben, I’m pretty sure you are sitting, and we will not trade Bernard Berrian. In the last game of the season he did really well. I think getting Tebow could work, I mean, look at hos new throwing motion, that was done in six weeks! Imagine what he could do a year behind Favre.

26. By FRAN on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

TEBOW, G, CB, S, OT, RB, MLB, OLB

27. By FRAN on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Sage FOR A 4 OR 5 ROUND PICK,

28. By LUIS on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

BRING BACK BOBY WADE,

29. By Ben on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Understood Derek. VikingFreak, I understand what you’re saying, but Tebow’s throwing motion is not game tested. He may revert back to his original throwing motion when faced with a pressure situation. In the end, it’s all conjecture, but I would rather go with Pike or LeFevour IF the vikings pick a QB.

30. By Jared Schmit on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Tebow is only an option in the second round.. he is not a first round talent and the Vikings have bigger needs at cornerback as well as defensive tackle as much as I would like to see Tebow in purple it isn’t in the stars. also his throwing motion is still too slow to test against the professionals in NFL secondary’s

31. By VikingFreak on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

IDK, we definitely need a CB, and i think McCourty is it, as for the QB, I like Tebow because he can run for the extra yards. I think we need to draft a HB and then see what weve got for the third down spot.

32. By Ben on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Picking up McCourty or Robinson in the first round would be great. Some people are saying the Vikings may take Taylor Mays. He has a lot of talent and would most likely help in the run game. I just think we need more coverage skills in the secondary than run stopping ability. Let’s face it, a lot of teams last year were able to move the ball against us through the air. People say that a good d-line helps out a secondary but it works both ways. I think our d-line is more powerful than fast. We need corners that can give guys like Jared Allen and Kevin Williams time to get to the QB.

33. By VIKINGISH on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I SAY THE VIKINGS DRAFT TEBOW GET THE BIGGEST PIECE OF THE OFFENSE READY BEHIND FAVRE.EVERYBODY THAT IS A LONG TIME VIKINGS FAN KNOWS WHAT IT’S LIKE BEING FAVRELESS,NOT GOOD! WE PROBABLY HAVE FAVRE ONE MORE YEAR AT BEST SO WE NEED TO GET A QB WHILE THE STARS ARE ALIGNED STILL AND HAVE HIM LEARN UNDER FAVRE.HE WILL BE IN A WINNING ENVIORMENT SEE WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WIN DOES NOT TO COME IN AND BE THE HERO AND TAKE PUNISHMENT BEHIND A WEAK LINE EVERYTHING IS THERE FOR HIM TO LEARN.TEBOW VIKES DONE!!!!

34. By 4eversteve on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I understand why people want the Vikings to draft Tebow, he is a class act and has a good work ethic however that being said in the NFL it’s not about a popularity contest, it’s about what have you done for me lately league. GM’s and coaches are under a great deal of pressure to win now, Tebow is more than likely three to four years away in the Vikings west coast style offense of having any major impact. Wasting a first or second round pick on someone who will not an immediate impact on your football team is really not very smart. Sorry to be the cold slap of reality, but these are just the facts. I wish him the best of luck in the future unless he is playing the Vikings.

35. By vikingjack on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

lets hope we draft what we need this year.[being a top 4 team ,we are limited in how much we can pay a free agent…..[not fair to the 3 teams that did not win the superbowl]…. so we should get ,secondary help,and oline help.

36. By vikingjack on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

trade Bernard Berrian…..are you mad?….the guy is fast and yes he drops a few…..but if favre returns ,we will definitely need berian ..if nothing else . because the opponents have to cover with a fast cb ect . also .he had a great saints game .

37. By Ben on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I agree with vikingjack, Berrian is a speedy down field threat. Sidney Rice may have good hands but Berrian still has the speed.
    I’am afraid McCourty and Robinson may be gone before the vikings pick. We may have to settle for Kareem jackson.

38. By Erik on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

McCourty or Wilson in first round and move up in 2nd to grab Jhavid Best RB out of Cal to replace Taylor. Would have to give up our 3rd probably. What do you think?

39. By Ben on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Wilson will probably not fall to us. Also, I don’t think the vikes are looking to replace albert young until they get a good look at him during the season.

40. By john on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

don’t draft tebow,an h back is not a high priority at this time.

41. By Norseman1127 on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Alright, I am not in love with this year’s QB draft class (however Pike or LeFevour, are attractive later) I would be interested in us taking another look at Tyler Thigpen, again, Miami wants to trade him. Best player available should work I think the draft is deep at several of our places of need.
    At 30 my draft board would look like Pouncy, Mays, McCourty.

42. By mikey p. on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

please and i mean please draft tim tebow first round.he is the future of qbs besides colt brennan on the redskins and they dont even use him.but yes tim tebow has alot of heart for the game of football.PLEASE VIKINGS LISTEN TO ME WHEN I SAY THIS..THERES QUARTER BACKS,AND THEN THERES LEADERS!AND BY GOD TIM TEBOW IS BOTH!PLEASE DRAFT HIM.

43. By Ben on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Norseman, I hope you’re wrong with pouncy.Yes, he’s a good center, but we need fresh blood in the secondary. The vikings had enough confidence in Sullivan to let Birk leave. I believe they’ll stick with Sullivan and look to draft high caliber players in the secondary.

44. By CA Norwegian on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

They should have kept Birk. God Bless Sully, but did not the Ravens run against us when few could? Like vs SF we escaped the loss as Tarkenton escaped sacks. How much of that was experience, line signal calling and his extra girth in the middle? What kind of world do we live in when a Vikings Defender can call their own center a mosquito and the fans not worry about a 40 something grandfather HOF QB in there behind him? Will Someione working in metal please cast an iron football and mail it to Adrian Peterson to carry around in training camp? We need to work on his ball grip and stop him from injuring the other guys’ hands.

45. By R.P.1333 on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Tebow in the 1st??? we need to worry about our secondary and O-line most importantly. because if we get burned on D and can’t protect the QB or make room for A.P. then it really doesn’t matter who is standing back there. Peyton manning wouldn’t be as good as he is if it wasn’t for his O-line. they allowed the fewest sacks in the league and he has a fast release, tebow doesnt. Do the vikes need a long term QB, yes. Do we want him getting beat up every down for years to come, no. I am not bashing tebow and not saying he isn’t a nice guy. I just think we have bigger issues to deal with. i would rather trade for a proven QB in the NFL than draft one. drafting a QB is the biggest gamble out there. look at how many “great” QBs were supposedly coming out of past drafts, maybe 20% are actually good. ryan leaf was suppose to be amazing and look how hard he flopped.

46. By okiris on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Please please please, do not draft Tebow in the first. Comparing him to Aaron Rodgers is apples and oranges. Rodgers came from a pro style passing offense under the tutalage of Jeff Tedford. Tebow came from the spread offense of Urban Meyer. Great in College, not so much in the NFL. Hes gonna have a rude awakening when he finds out how fast the linebackers get to him when he tries to run. Yeah he is a high character guy, but c’mon. I want my first pick to have less questions on the field then he does. Save picks 3-7 for “leaders” who are “high character”. And as a diehard USC fan, please please please do not take Taylor Mays either. For all the “freakish” traits he possesses, he produces nada on the field. He will not make it as a safety. I have been pleading for cornerbacks for years. This year I’m also pleading for a safety. I liked the idea somebody had here earlier about trading for Haynsworth, until I remembered how much he costs and all the antics he brings with him. For the record, I would trade most of the picks “ala Coach Ditka for Ricky” to trade up for Berry. I would love to see him in purple.

47. By fran on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

we need: Tebow, CB,G,S,OT,RB,OLB,MLB

48. By Travis on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I am a huge huge TIM TEBOW fan, as much as i want him i dont see a 1st round pick being used in him…we need either POUNCEY who could be one of the best guards/linemen coming out, he doesnt have to play center he could give us one of the best young right side of the line in the game with Loadholts second year, or one of the many great corners MCCOURTY, WILSON, or JACKSON. I then want to see us trade up in the second to make sure we get TIM TEBOW if we have to trade above buffalo…we gotta do what we gotta do…TEBOW needs to be a viking and SPIELMAN is the best thing to ever happen to this team…SPEAKING FOR ALL VIKINGS DIE HARD FANS AND SEASON TICKET HOLDERS WE LOVE YOU FOR ALL YOUR GREAT PICKS AND GIVING US A REASON TO BE CONFIDENT IN OUR TEAM…I KNOW SPIELMAN KNOWS WHAT HES DOING

49. By fran on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

We do not need a C, we need a G and LOT

50. By fran on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I am agree, draf Pouncey is a good idea

51. By Ben on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Fran, I don’t think we need a left tackle. BigMac is still good enough to protect our QB’s backside. Everyone talks about how bad he did in the Carolina game, but he was playing on a bad ankle. Any fans that have doubts about the Viking OL need look no further than the Cowboys game. Also, I think CB’s McCourty and Robinson will be ranked higher on the Vikings draft board than Pouncey.

52. By VikingFreak on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

We should plan on McCourty or Wilson in the first round, because either one could be a perfect fit. In the second round, we should get Tebow, and if he is gone look at the RB class, like Toby Gerhart or Jahvid Best. In the third round maybe get a lineman like Bruce Campbell or a good DT.

53. By VikingFreak on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I think we need a good CB and then a good OL backup in the later rounds. We should Also look in the later rounds get or look at getting an MLB.

54. By Troy on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Why Tebow he does have good character but he has horrible passing skills hes a runner so night as well keep Jackson rather than take Tebow. however I do agree we need to get a QB but can proly grab either Pike or Mcoy in second round both are much better pure passers and we have at least a year befor they would have to play. does anyone out there like Angerer out of Iowa he was a animal for the hawks would be great to sure up MLB

55. By JBMay on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

The Offensive line is in a state of flux. Sullivan is average, Herrera has not played well, and Hutch is battling injuries. The Vikes need a versatile, young stud on our interior line. Pouncey seems like the best choice. That would help them to actually start running the ball with success. The running attack got weaker and weaker as the year went on and the main issue was the o-line was either being stacked up or penetrated. AP met too many defenders in the backfield. THAT’S A HUGE ISSUE. Unless Tebow can play guard or center, he isn’t the direction the Vikes need to go in. On the other line we’re maybe a year from losing the anchor, Pat Williams. The Vikes cant afford to plug in a little penetrator like Brian Price in his place. If the can chance waiting until the third round then get a well sized corner in the second and get your NT in the third…
    However if Dan Williams slides they have to take him….

56. By Troy on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I say trade the first round if any takers for a early second and proly a late third or early fourth take Tony Pike with early second take pat angerer at MLB with late second we are set well on DL for this year after resigning Keneddy but take a shot on a meaty OL maybe one with weight issues but I think loadholt will have big improvement this year other than that load up on physical specimens at the CB in late rounds.

57. By fran on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

If we do not draft a CB in the first pick, this is a good possibility for shoot 2 or 3:
    Dominique Franks (CB)
    • Height:
    5’11″
    • Weight:
    194 lbs.
    • Arm Length:
    31 1/2 in.
    • Hand Size:
    9 3/4 in.
    • College:
    Oklahoma
    • Conference:
    Big 12

58. By VikingFreak on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

If we draft a CB, it will be McCourty or Wilson, at the line spot i think we should get Bruce Campbell, then at the HB spot, i think Gerhart would be good because he has excellant hands and is a truck,similiar to AP. Then at the QB level i personally believe Tebow is the guy, he is an excellent leader and his passing has improved immensely, and sitting a year behind Favre could do him a lot of good. At the DT spot Terrance Cody has to be the most athletic DT in the draft.