Racino Proposal To Bankroll Vikings Stadium?

Posted by cjsiewert on April 9, 2010 – 12:24 pm

Lately, the hot topic of Vikings discussion has revolved around finding a stadium solution for the football organization entering its 50th season in the NFL.  Funding for the construction of a new stadium has raised a few question marks, but a new racino proposal could provide a generous bankroll from supporters of expanded horse track gambling.

The Star Tribune reported earlier today that former Sen. Dick Day, a lobbyist for Racino Now, said Thursday that his group is willing to commit $40 million a year to a stadium if the state will agree to slot machines at Canterbury Park in Shakopee.  With 1,000 slot machines at Canterbury Park, Day estimated that the machines could generate $100 million a year in profits.

“We think we have the answer to the Vikings,” Day said. “There’s no cost to anybody.”

Many critics of building a new stadium for the Vikings have vehemently expressed their concern of finding additional funding for the state’s more pressing needs, such as education and health care.  Day addressed this concern by stating that 4 other broad categories each would receive $15 million a year – agriculture and rural development, biosciences, early childhood education and the state’s general fund.

This proposal may hit a roadblock, though, as earlier racino proposals have gained little interest from lawmakers because of its direct relation to increased gambling.  And as mentioned in the previous paragraph, some legislators may not think so highly on the notion of expanded gambling while health care, education and other government services are facing possible budget cuts.

Despite the critic’s concerns, this proposal is quite intriguing because of the fact that Day’s group is willing to commit $40 million a year to the stadium when the cost is figured to be $42 million a year, nearly covering the entire yearly cost.

We’ll keep you updated here on vikings.com with any other news surfacing about the Vikings stadium issues, so stay tuned.

Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Racino Proposal To Bankroll Vikings Stadium?”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Take this deal and run with it! It sounds like the only reason the state is agains the idea is because they want to control how citizens spend their money! Of course increased gambling venues will lead to increased gambling. Tell the state that it is not their responsibility to manage my checkbook.

2. By Purpleman on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Great! Check ou my site at victoriusvikes.webs.com

3. By Bigfan1 on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree take it and run sounds like a win win.

4. By Purple_bleeder on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Ahhh…this sounds like an easy one, GO FOR IT!! If we don’t build a new stadium for the Vikings, we will lose them to California….and that would suck!
    The government already controls where we can smoke, and how much we can drink. Now, they want to control how much we gamble?!?!
    What ever happen to our “free country”??
    The reason we are in the hole is because our Govenor doesn’t know how to manage money, period!
    TAKE THE DEAL!!
    DON’T BE STUPID!!

5. By Vikesince6 on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Please consider the offer!! $40 million a year to operate will be given to the Vikings when it is projected to only cost $42 million to operate..are you kidding?? With no additional cost to anyone else?? A few months ago I saw a digital drawing of how the stadium in LA will look like..it had a lot of purple seats.

6. By Mike on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

This is a no brainer. Take the deal. Peopl,e who want to gamble will gamble no matter what so use that and help keep the only good thing from Minnesota here

7. By marcus on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

SOUNDS GOOD! THEY SHOULD GO FOR IT!!!! I WOULD BE A HAPPY FAN IF THEY DID.

8. By vikings012 on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

love the idera lets do it we need our new stadium GO VIKINGS

9. By Dennis on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Are law makers afraid that the added gambling might take away from all the state sponsored lottery gambling that normally targets low income people? What a bunch of phonies!

10. By Purpleman on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

I put a link to this on my site victoriusvikes.webs.com

11. By celticvikingwarrior a.k.a. Randy on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Being a lifelong VIKINGS fan,my life AND the VIKES, not to mention that I was born in Mn., and live in Ca.,puts me in a unique position to evaluate this situation. I’m actually beginning to wonder if the Mn. state leaders (poltical & business) as well as those regular folks who aren’t fans, really care at all if the VIKINGS stay or go!!! Personally I’m sick to death of this issue which should have been dealt with years ago. This idea, i.e. plan is fantastic with no down side (as are others put forth over the years in Mn. and other states) which means it probably doesn’t stand a chance to get off the ground!!!! Re:Ca.,the location of the new stadium is a TOILET,in one of the worst parts of so.cal, this state has a $200 BILLION deficit and they want to build yet another stadium within 20 miles of the coliseum & rosebowl to steal another states team when the’ve already lost the rams & raiders (twice) INSANE.STAY VIKES

12. By Joe on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

$&@?! The government! Take this plan! Everybody wins!

13. By Arizona Vike on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Take the deal or be voted out of office. The idiots gave the Gophers a deal for a few games a year, gave the Twins a deal which was good and now they can’t see the revenue and jobs a vikes complex would give to the state. Wake up there is funds in the deal for more than a stadium. The law makers
    worry about the poor people gambling, well than they should maybe close the other casinos in the state if they believe that, I belive they don’t want to offend the casinos now in place. Wake up state law makers or maybe you will be in the unemployment line, it wouldn’t hurt if half of you where.

14. By jim holmes on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

The biggest thing that will have to be overcome is the Indian Lobby at the Capital. The fact is they give more cash in the form of Lobby and campain funds then any other group in the state. If they believe that gambling has not expaned they have not been going to local casinos and watched them grow in size. But then again there maybe a tooth fairy. Its a good idea an if it is a TAX is a Voluntary Tax.

15. By fmfan on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

take the deal!!!

16. By Bleeding_purple_and_gold on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

They are worried about “increased Gambling” at a horse racing track?!? thats the pot calling the kettle black! if people are going to throw their money away, why not throw it away for a good cause?!? we need to get a vikings fan in office.

17. By cooliovikes on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Yeah woot go for it! Come to my site for the best draft coverage and viking news. It’s victoriusvikes.webs.com

18. By Todd Forcellina on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Oh my God, get this deal done already. I am a season ticket holder from CT. and a life long Vikings fan that will never root for this team if it leaves the state of MN.. I agree with all of the above comments that if increased gambling is going to deliver the money needed who cares. So far the people of MN. have been crying that they didnt want any of their money to go to support the new stadium…..well now someone has given you a solution and it will only be your money if you choose to gamble, and guess what I bet if you won money while gambling you wouldnt give it back to the state so just do the deal and lets get our team in a new stadium in MINNESOTA where they belong. Go Vikes.

19. By Canadian Viking Fan on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Ah! Let me think about it?

What’s so hard to figure out ??????

I will take Vault number #1.

Take the deal and keep the Vikings in Minnesota
    (To far for me to travel to California)

20. By purplehorn on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, I also am a huge Viking fan, went to High School in Eden Prairie and now live in California. If there was a $200 billion deficit out here I’d just put a gun in my mouth……not really…..but you are WAY OFF. Try maybe $26 billion deficit.

The idea of allowing slots in exchange for support is a winner, winner, winner. I would love to have my Vikings play here in the City of Industry, but they belong in Minnesota. Imagine the Packers in Nevada? It just isn’t right is it? By the way, Ed Roski Jr. doesn’t build toilets- It is a great venue for someone- centrally located in the freeway system out here.

21. By Rockstar Bob on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

22. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

purplehorn – Good points, all except the Packer comment. Outside of the fact that they have been in Wisconsin for generations, the Packaging business is universal enough where any state would make just about as much sense as any other. Now the Nebraska 49ers on the other hand, that would be just downright outrageous. Or how about the Vermont Cowboys, or for a real life example, the Arizona Cardinals? Has anybody even seen a Cardinal in AZ? Honestly, when that team moved they should have changed their name to the Phoenix!

But now I’m just rambling on and have gone way off topic, so in short: LETS GET SOME SLOTS!

23. By dann on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

duh.

24. By celticvikingwarrior a.k.a. Randy on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

purplehorn–with some respect I’m not wrong,the deficit in CA. is $200 billion NOT $26 billion, as evidenced by the countless UNCONTESTED television ads. run over the last mo.for a new state govenor.But I digress, what’s a lousy $174 billion.To Todd Forcellina I agree 100% I also would not root for nor purchase any VIKINGS “products”, they would cease to be “my team”. Back to purplehorn, I did NOT say ANYTHING about Ed Roski jr. OR the stadium to be built (I’m sure it would be very nice) my comment was directed at the AREA is a TOILET!!!! It would be akin to putting a pretty bow on an outhouse!!!! The fact(?) that it is “centrally located” because of freeway’s is ABSURD!!! EVERYTHING is 5 minutes from MULTIPLE freeway’s in So. Cal. Let’s not argue amongst ourselves but agree that this “RACINE” idea is FANtastic,and we ALL at least according to the above, LOVE THE VIKINGS and want them to stay in our beloved Minnesota where they were born,AND BELONG!!!!

25. By Robin S. on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

This is a no brainer. Take the deal and keep our team in Minnesota!! You will make money! Love the Vikings!

26. By HANK on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I’M A VIKING FAN FROM NEW JERSEY, CAN’T THE MINNESOTA STATE LEGISLATORS SEE THAT LETTING THE VIKES GO WOULD CHANGE THE IDENTITY OF THE STATE I WOULDN’T EVEN WANT THE VIKES IN ANY OTHER STATE NOT EVEN MY OWN.THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS TO ME!ALSO HOW COME THEY CAN WORK OUT NEW VENUES FOR THE TWINS AND GOPHERS BUT NOT THE VIKINGS?

27. By Duane N on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

All of this is so dumb. Just get it done. Nothing will change in the schools and healthcare either way.

They are all so incompetent. I know a really easy way to save money. Fix how road construction is done. Idiots pay 5 people to do the job of one person.