Clausen Won’t Fall Far In First Round

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 8, 2010 – 10:53 am

The Easter evening trade between the Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins involving QB Donovan McNabb will have a profound impact on the NFC East in 2010. But will the blockbuster trade have a more immediate impact on QBs in this year’s NFL draft?

It depends who you ask. As several national draftniks updated their mock drafts, I noticed a couple with surprising developments. Don Banks of SI.com projects Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen falling all the way to the Vikings at #30 as a result of the McNabb trade, while Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune pointed out that the Sporting News Today also sees the Vikings winding up with Clausen.

Independent of how the Vikings have graded Clausen, I don’t see the Vikings ending up with him because I don’t see the QB falling to #30, or very far down the 1st round at all. Even if the trade of McNabb takes Washington out of the running for a top-notch QB, there are still plenty of other QB-needy teams in front of the Vikings who are likely to scoop up Clausen if given the chance.

The following are teams (pick number) in front of the Vikings whom I think are candidates to select Clausen: St. Louis (#1), Kansas City (#5), Seattle (#6 and #14), Buffalo (#9), San Francisco (#13 and #17) and Tennessee (#16). Several other draftniks out there have Clausen going much earlier than #30, including NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks and Pat Kirwan (#9 Buffalo) and ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr. (#8 Oakland).

With all of that said, let’s operate under the assumption that Clausen does “slide.” The 2 previous QBs to significantly slide down the draft were Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers. But even they were taken well before #30, with Quinn going to Cleveland with the 22nd pick and Rodgers going to Green Bay at pick #24.

One more aspect of this situation to consider: the possibility of a trade to acquire Clausen. There may be a team that feels strongly enough about Clausen that they would trade ahead for the chance to take him, which adds even more teams to the list of potential Clausen landing spots listed a couple of paragraphs above this one.

So where will Clausen ultimately land? I’d say not with St. Louis because if the Rams select a QB with the 1st pick it will likely be Bradford. And although Chiefs offensive coordinator Charlie Weiss was Clausen’s head coach at Notre Dame, I think Kansas City is leaning another way. That leads me to believe Clausen will land either in Oakland (#8), Buffalo (#9) or San Francisco (#13), with an outside chance that Cleveland considers him at #7.

14 Responses to “Clausen Won’t Fall Far In First Round”

1. By secondnature815 on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

In the who cares QB category, I think the vikings should sign free agent RB Adrian Peterson of the Bears. That way when they hand the ball off to Adrian Peterson the other teams won’t know which way to turn!!! Which way did he go so to speak! LOL

2. By Robin S. on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

secondnature815 that was pretty clever! Keep them confused……and hold on to the ball!!!

3. By Jon on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

The other chip that has yet to fall is where does Jason Campbell end up? That’ll effect where Clausen is drafted. Marc Bulger also wants to start, but he may need to settle for backup duty.

4. By mikewobschall on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

good call on campbell.

5. By Purpleman on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Do you guys want to see my take on taylor mays and the vikings offseason moves Visit my blog all about the Vikings at

Hey mikewobschall could you please make a blog post on my site to tell vikings fans to come to it. If it’s a no can’t you just say no, I’ve asked numerous times

6. By Purpleman on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry my site is actually called victoriusvikes.webs.com

7. By Medicineball on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Please do not trade up.

By the way, have the Vikings scouted Tyler Sheehan, quarterback, Bowling Green? He is a highly accurate pocket passer with a good arm.

8. By lee12akma on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Scouts Inc., has it that Clausen is not ranked as top 32 players…and assuming the teams pick based on the rank, Clausen is expected to slide to the 2nd round (though I highly doubt he will slide to 2nd round). If he does, I think it would be a great pick for the Vikings’ long run. On the other hand, if he is taken…it is also safe to say that Colt McCoy is still up there for grabs. Hence, I don’t think Vikings should be extremely desperate about a QB just yet. I personally like Clausen as a player so I think he’ll be a great addition- but that’s just wishful thinking. Chances are, it would be wiser to pick a DE/DT to replace Pat Williams when he retires, or pick a cornerback or a safety because we only did an “decent” job in stopping opponents’ passing games. But definitely, investing in a quarterback isn’t a bad idea as well, considering Brett Favre isn’t getting any younger.

9. By Patches on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

if the Vikings do not get the QB in the draft why not trade to the Bills for Trent Ewards & if Farve comes back then bam we got QB now & later…..

10. By purplehorn on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I would hold off and see if we can get Jerrod Johnson out of Texas A&M next year. He has a strong arm, good instincts running, and is 6′-5″ 243 lbs. Watch this kid this year. He will probably be a first round next year. The Vikings will get a good prospect either this year or next.

11. By lee12akma on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

As much as Jerrod Johnson might be good (though I honestly don’t know how good he is), I still personally think it would be a good idea to have a younger QB learn from a veteran QB before he retires- just like Aaron Rodgers was when Brett Favre was still playing for the packers. It would be a learning experience for the incoming rookie, I think. But that’s just me, I am really interested in what the Vikings would do during the NFL draft.

12. By Jalia on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

Soural AKAIK you’ve got the asewnr in one!

13. By jvlfyr on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply