Initial Thoughts On Reynaud Moving To RB

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 5, 2010 – 11:21 am

While I was out last week news surfaced of Darius Reynaud changing positions from WR to RB, and since I was out of town I wasn’t able to give this development much attention or thought.

According to this blog entry from the Star Tribune’s Judd Zulgad, Reynaud disclosed his position switch during a radio interview on KFAN. Zulgad also pointed out that Reynaud rushed for 1,889 yards on 236 carries and 37 TDs as a high school senior and that he had 410 rushing yards during his career at West Virginia University.

I don’t doubt that Reynaud is indeed making the switch from WR to RB and I also don’t doubt that Reynaud can be an effective playmaker as a RB. But I’m curious to know more about the decision to make this transition, both from Reynaud’s standpoint and from a coaching/personnel standpoint. I’ll seek out an offensive coach as well as Reynaud to get more reaction/information about this development.

As an aside to this news, though, I think it’s important to point out a couple of side effects.

– For much of the offseason, Vikings followers have wondered how the team was going to fill the role vacated by Chester Taylor’s departure to Chicago. There was interest in LaDainian Tomlinson, but he ultimately decided to stay in the AFC and play for the NY Jets. There’s also been talk about Brian Westbrook reuniting with Brad Childress. But now perhaps the Vikings will abandon the free agency market in an attempt to fill Taylor’s role and instead rely on the talent they’ve already collected.

– How does this affect the Vikings draft plans? More importantly, how does this affect the perception of the Vikings draft plans? My guess is it really has no practical impact on the Vikings plans because I truly believe they’re going to take the best player available when it’s their time to choose, be it a RB or a DB or anything in between – except a WR. But not everyone will see it that way. Some will surely assume this puts the Vikings out of the market for a RB at the end of the 1st round. Either way, it’s my opinion that moving Reynaud to RB does nothing to tip the Vikings hand at the end of the 1st round and that’s an advantage for the Purple.

Tags:

17 Responses to “Initial Thoughts On Reynaud Moving To RB”

1. By purplepain on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

not a bad idea to move reynaud to rb! reynaud is quick, jukey, and got speed. now they can go in at number 1 and 2 into the draft looking for help in thier secondary. i say taylor mays at one…. chris cook at two! those r guys that are big, fast and willing to HIT! two big boys in the back field. because i only see one guy that can for sure tackle in thier backfield,… WINFIELD BABY! but because of age and injuries, they need to look at those two guys!… SERIOUSLY!. alll the others are ok, but we need clucth players at the right time! cant be missing tackles on BIG GAMES! ya feel wat im trying to say!

2. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad to see that my comment gave you a focus for the next article, (yes I am taking credit for inspiring this particular blog). One question though, why was the “except wide receiver” thrown in? I know we have some solid depth there, but regardless of that fact it seems we have always been primed on taking the best candidate no matter how well the current roster already is in that position.

Personally, the only offesnive player I’d like to see in the first 2 or 3 rounds is a QB that can start in a year or 2, but the outcome of the current staff has been overly exceptional with the “best player available [no reservations]” approach.

3. By malte on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

the reason it won’t be a smart move to take a WR is becauce we have so many young receivers, so he will have to wait a long time to step into the game, and mabye by then he will not forfill the role that he was draftet for. it doesn’t make sence to draft a WR when we got harvin, rice, and some young once on the rooster aswell

4. By malte on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

but as mike also said early the vikings are looking at cook and i hope that they draft him, he will fit the vikings defence scheme very well, and his a very nice guy :) good luck in the draft

5. By vikings#1FAN on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

No way. Dont try and move him around. He hasnt been that spectacular of a player. If you were going to do that with anyone I would think Percy Harvin is way better of a player. We need to find someone who’s a free agent or draft someone. It would of been better if we would of kept Chester Taylor. Maybe we should of got L.T.?

6. By S Anderson on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

This seems to be a chris johnson type move like the RB from the titans. And reynaud is not that player. I said it before and i will state it again. Losing chester is going to be huge for us. As for our draft COLT MCCOY because if anyone thinks it is a lock that favre is comming back get real. What about next year? or is it this year or nothing.

7. By Dennis on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

I just looked up his stats…..HE HAS NONE!
    He should have no trouble taking over for Chester.

8. By Dennis on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Oh, I am sorry…he has 3 fumbles!

9. By R.P.1333 on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

reynaud is a very good player at any position. i am a WVU fan and watched him play every season there and was very happy when the vikes drafted him. his senior year he lead the team with TD rec. he wasnt a starting RB there because WVU had steve slaton, noel devine, and the leading college rushing QB in college history with pat white. this is a good move, he is fast and has great hands. I would honestly rather see a good free agent, but this can work. “vikings#1fan”- I wouldnt do this with percy because of his migranes. I agree that he is better, but we have the depth at WR to fill in for him incase he can’t play, we do not at RB. Plus he is more productive as a WR.

10. By Benson on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Switching from wideout to rb is a huge transition they are completely different positions. I’m not saying Reynaud will not get some good gains as a rb but the rb position requires power strength and the ability to take a beating. I don’t see him as an every down back maybe throw some quick screens like. I would let harvin take over some of those duties has a hybrid wr rb but wouldn’t let him run on everyplay he would get smashed by lineman and linebackers if he gets caught in traffic.

11. By PurplePeopleEater on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Benson, there’s no posibility of him becoming an every down back. AP is that guy. AP will be taking 75% or more of the beatings at the position. we are just moving in guys to fill the void Tayler left as a situational back. We might even be wise to have a pair of situational backs, one who can play on just about any down and come in to give Peterson a breather once or twice on long drives, and the second to be a guy who specializes in 3rd down skills, with pass blocking abilities and good hands to catch the ball.

12. By odiesfantasy on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

We getting Ladell Betts! Wanna Bets?

13. By Benson on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Oops forgot about ap my bad

14. By Benson on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I say draft a rb in 2nd round they will get a pretty good rb for sure. I’m confident in albert young though he is not as an explosive back like taylor but he gets the grunt yards a little bit boring to watch him run but if the vikes are playing time possession football albert young is the guy you want to pound that ball on third and short.

15. By alvike on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I think this is a great move. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I got excited to see Darius return punts last year, and was sad when he got hurt. I thought he should be a guy to touch the ball more, and this will definately help that out. His frame is probably closer to what you would see from a tailback than a receiver, but I don’t see him being that great of a pass blocker. I liked Chester a lot, but I know Darius can do a great job helping out Albert Young and/or Ian Johnson fill Chester’s shoes.

16. By 4eversteve on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Hope Young and Johnson have been in their playbooks this off season, they really need to understand the pass protection schemes and responsibilities . Not sold on Darius running between the tackles in the NFL . I think he might be better suited to the slot receiver position, I see him in the same mold as the guy who just got trade to the Ravens from the cardinals.

17. By 4eversteve on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Mays doesn’t show the instincts needed to play safety in the NFL but has off the charts athletic ability, more suited to play LB if he is wiling to pack on a little more weight. Nate Allen is the pick if the Vikings should take another safety, we already have 5 on the roster we would have to let go of a couple. Like the kid on the practice squad Colt Anderson and Jamarca Sanford showed a great deal of promise. I think a more glaring need O-line,CB QB, and RB. If Ryan Cook could play the RG position we may be able to use the first round pick on a higher end corner in the draft or we pick up free agent at the position and go from there. The Sanford kid might take away Tyrell starting job if Johnson doesn’t pick up his play!