Personnel Guru Brandt Ranks Top Undrafted Players

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 18, 2010 – 3:42 pm

In little over a month, NFL teams will use the NFL draft to select players they feel will become core members of their team for seasons to come. Some of the NFL’s best players – from Hall of Famer’s to current superstars – saw their careers begin on the day they were drafted.

But with 53 roster spots on each of the league’s 32 teams, a 7-round draft once per year isn’t enough to replenish and supplement the talent pool. Teams must also find undrafted players who have the ability to play at the NFL level.

NFL personnel guru and NFL.com contributing writer Gil Brandt certainly understands this concept. His knowledge of and respect for the process of finding talented undrafted players is on display at NFL.com right now, as he penned an article that identifies the top 75 undrafted players in NFL history.

Vikings fans might appreciate the piece by Brandt because several of the names will be familiar. QB Warren Moon, who was originally signed by the Houston Oilers but also played well for the Vikings late in his career, is ranked by Brandt as the 4th-best undrafted player of all-time.

Also, DT John Randle makes Brandt’s list. He’s ranked as the 12th-best undrafted player of all-time.

There’s a current Vikings (hint: one-half of the Williams Wall) who is ranked somewhere between #26 and #50 and a former Vikings Head Coach who is ranked somewhere between #51 and #75.

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Personnel Guru Brandt Ranks Top Undrafted Players”

1. By Raul 919 on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

another pointless article. seriously why do you get paid?

2. By jbork88 on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

john randle should have been placed higher

3. By PurpleNurple on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Raul, you need to relax a bit. It is the deadest part of the offseason right now, and this article is actually more interesting and meaningful than some things that get posted DURING the season. One example is the MVC posts that rant on about what the Cheerleaders do in their free time.

4. By mikewobschall on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Raul 919 – What would you like us to write about? Offer a suggestion and I’ll do my best to fulfill it.

I provide my email address on the blog twice a week and I’ve never seen a message from you asking or requesting anything. But we value each and every reader and we do our best to entertain everyone, so I’d like to write something that you’ll find informative. Let me know what you’d like to see and we’ll get it done.

5. By PurpleColorado on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Where they are now, Bud Grant, Tommy Kramer, ECT. What current players excite them. Who do they see as a good fit from the draft?

6. By coolio on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Please go to victoriusvikes.webs.com I provide in depth analysis for everything vikings. Just create a quick account an your ready to go. I recently wrote an article on the turf in the metrodome and farve

7. By purplehorn on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, In response to Raul919, why not do like PurpleColorado suggested and ask some of the former Viking Alumni what their thoughts are and what are they up to now? Where in the world is Joe Kapp? I know, but I’ll bet many don’t even know who Joe Kapp is. What is Coach Burns up to now? That would be interesting for us old timers.

8. By Paul on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Raul, look at the list! It’s very interesting. Players who were household names long after their playing days, nobody seemed to want. James Harrison of the Steelers has been cut 3 times. I bet Arizona Cardinal fans wished he’d been cut 4 times. Josh Cribbs who is finally getting paid by Cleveland. Hall of famer with the Dolphins, and I believe played late in his career Jim Langer. What Viking will ever forget Drew “Push off” Pearson of the Cowboys. I didn’t realize Mike Tice was that great of a pro player, but he made the list. I can’t say that I analyze film 16 hours a week looking for who blocked down on the linebacker for the Seahawks. Bill Bates of the Cowboys who perfected the “Snot-knocker!” Let’s face it, their were a lot of Cowboys on the list. During the 70’s Tex Shramm would bring in a kangaroo roper if he thought the guy had the right zodiac sign. As much success as the Polks’ had in the 70’s, they had some tremendous flame outs. They made Tommy Kramer look like a tea-toadling Baptist minister. #1 on the list is Kurt Warner, former arena league, NFL Europe, and backup to Mr. Favre. John Randle definitely deserved his place on the list, he was very dominant in his prime. You put hime with Allen and the Williams boys today and you almost would forget about the purple people eaters. OF other note Adam “Nuggetierri” Vinatierri.

9. By KanVike on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, I just checked out the list. I thought it was very interesting. I couldn’t believe some of the names I was reading! Hey Raul919, you might take the time to actually look at the list before you make a comment.

10. By UNICROWN on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

FLEA FLICKER TO S.RICE AND BETTER BE NICE!!!!

11. By UNICROWN on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

YOU LET YOUR FAMILLY DOWN IN N.O.BRETT FAVRE AND ME AND MY DAD WE WERE WATCHING THIS WILL BE YOUR LAST YEAR IN THE NFL BE LIKE JOE MONTANA AND DO SOME RAINBOW BOMBS TO HARVIN DON’T LET US DOWN AGAIN THIS YEAR RUN OUT OF BOUNDS IF YOU HAVE TO BUT JUST DON’T THROW ANOTHER INTERCEPTION!!!!

12. By UNICROWN on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

ROYAL COLOR PURPLE CROWN ARE KING BRETT FAVRE GO VIKINGS!

13. By Randy on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

UNICROWN, its not favre’s fault the vikes lost the game. he threw an interception yeah but im tired of everyone blowing that out of proportion. it certainly didnt help us win, but it didnt put the game entirely out of reach. if we are all gonna blame brett, then we should also blame the kickoff team for letting a good return to start OT, and we should blame the defense for not stopping drew brees and the rest of the saints. and also raul 919….cmon man. I think all the Vikings Website writers are doing a great job considering that at this point of the year there is absolutely nothing to talk about.