Other Childress Notes From KFAN Interview

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 12, 2010 – 8:55 am

As we mentioned in the previous entry, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress called into the Power Trip Morning Show today to discuss the LaDainian Tomlinson visit as well as several other Vikings-related topics.

The audio from the interview is available via KFAN’s website with this MP3 file.  The interview is at the end of the segment.

Here are a few other non-Tomlinson notes from the interview this morning…

Adrian Peterson’s fumbles: Peterson had a handful of fumbles this season that cost the Vikings in critical situations and it’s an issue that has brought on some criticism for #28. When asked about it today, Childress said that the issue has been brought to the RB’s attention frequently and that he’s confident Peterson will “take care” of it. “I don’t want to eliminate his running style,” Peterson said. “He has an aggressive, attacking running style. So I don’t want to take anything away from that. However it’s critical obviously that the ball travels with you.”

On finding a replacement for Chester Taylor: Should Tomlinson sign with the Vikings, he’ll fulfill the same role (although perhaps a bit differently) that Taylor filled while with the team. Other RBs have also been linked to the Vikings as possible replacements for Taylor, including Brian Westbrook and even incoming rookies who will be drafted in April.

But Childress suggested another possible solution to filling the role vacated by Taylor.

“Probably not enough has been said about Albert Young,” the head coach said. “Albert Young has been a guy that’s developed here tremendously the last two years. As a matter of fact, Brett Favre and I had a long conversation about him. He believes he’s got the chance to be a good back in this league.”

Childress on the greatest thing to come out of the 2009 season: “I guess first of all, the greatest thing to come out of it was the enthusiasm of this state and community about the Vikings. Everybody started with the toe in the water. ‘Are they gonna be this? How are they going to play in September?’ But I just think as the season went, it really became a snowball (effect).”

Childress then added, “In the locker room, I have one of the [most fun] bunch of guys that I’ve probably lined up and coached in thirty years. And certainly not without fifty-three different challenges when you’re talking about the Jared Allens, Pat Williamses, Steve Hutchinsons, Brett Favres, Chester Taylors.

“There are personalities galore in there. But one thing those guys never were afraid to do was to take a challenge. They competed tooth and nail with each other, and it didn’t make any difference whether they were on the football field or playing cards or shooting hoops. They’re avid competitors in all areas. They weren’t afraid to work, they weren’t afraid to take criticism constructively and improve. That’s always satisfying and I had a great time doing it.”

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Other Childress Notes From KFAN Interview”

1. By daniel on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

“Peterson had a handful of fumbles this season that cost the Vikings in critical situations and it’s an issue that has brought on some criticism for #28.”

hahah is funny when everyone falls in love with a player and then we point the finger at him or with BFarve last int.. if anything i blame it at the OC. what a bad play call, just run the ball and give longwell a chance, that didn’t happen is the playoff at lease give the kicker or use him. i’m a viking fan since i was born which i live in Los Angeles, and i don’t want to have the same bad feeling again this year!!

2. By michandre on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

“There are personalities galore in there.”

Yes, and that is just Jared Allen!?!!

haha yeah, I’ll leave the staff and team additions and changes to the leadership. I am not in the mood to guess what the changes will be. Personally, I’m a fan of relative youth and upside vs, high cost proven player with perhaps less years left to go.

3. By Robin S. on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

The personalties showed on the playing field and that is why we love them and respect them so much. They made it look like fun. I think Brett had a great time as long as our team protected him and kept him off of the ground. When Brett is having fun it transfers to the rest of the team and everyone is having a blast. Jared Allen is quite a character too! I love all of our guys! I hope we get LT. He would be fun to watch too. Brett must come back or it will be such a major disappointment. Last year was my favorite year! It was so much fun. This year…..Super Bowl! Hold on to the ball Adrian!

4. By fmfan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

A.P. lost 6 fumbles in 09-10 season and only 1 can be considered lost in a criticle situation (againet the bears in ot) but if Favre wouldn’t have fumbled in the first half there may not have been an ot. AP had 6 turnovers Brett had 12 !!

5. By michandre on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Is it fair to say that A.P. #28 turnovers were not as big of a deal, as say what seemed to be a lot of 2 and 3 yard plays over the last several games vs. great break-out yardage? He’s amazing and one of my favorite players, but to be honest, that’s one of the things I’ll miss about C. Taylor, that consistent performance for similar gains time and again.

I think each time a fumble is created too much criticism fall on the one who lost control and not enough credit is given to smart and physical defensive play.

6. By jbork88 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

i say roll the dice with albert young. let lt go to the jets. we will watch him cry on the sidelines when the vikings make the trip to new york next year

7. By fmfan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I hope Childress and Bevel take critisism costructively and improve. Favre showed them how to run an offence so hopefully they learned something.

8. By Craig on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I cant possibly see how we can compare AP’s fumbles(most in the league last year) to BFarve’s turnovers(least in the league). Dont get me wrong, AP is ridiculous and I would not want anyone different but there is no way that we can compare the two, other than to say that AP had a awful year, as far as turnovers goes.

9. By fmfan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Craig don’t you like the the comparison between AP and Favres turnovers? 1 of the 6 of APs were in a lose compared to 9 of the 12 of Favres in the 5 losses we had.. so who cost us more games.