SI’s Trotter: Tomlinson To Visit Vikings On Thursday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 9, 2010 – 7:14 pm

Earlier today we posted a blog entry explaining a few thoughts about the Vikings task of replacing RB Chester Taylor. One of the names mentioned in those thoughts – RB LaDainian Tomlinson – is the subject of a report that will likely catch the attention of Vikings fans.

Jim Trotter of SI.com reported midway through Tuesday afternoon that Tomlinson, a 5-time Pro Bowler and 1-time NFL MVP, will visit the Vikings at Winter Park on Thursday. A versatile and experienced RB, Tomlinson has the skill set that would make him a fitting complement to starter Adrian Peterson.

We have not confirmed this report but wanted to mention it in this space, especially because we addressed the topic of replacing Taylor earlier today. We’ll provide updates on this issue when they become available to us.

Tags:

55 Responses to “SI’s Trotter: Tomlinson To Visit Vikings On Thursday”

1. By medicineball on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

If he will fit in in the locker room, I think signing LT would be a good move.

2. By A Kolenovic on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre, Adrain Peterson, LT,Percy Harvin,Sidney Rice, Vishate Shinacoe. What a team let’s go Vikings 2010 superbowl champions

3. By Keith K on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

LT would be such a great mentor to AP its not even funny

4. By jbork88 on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

sign him

5. By Erik H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Awesome….. We have a Great Team Now, With LT WE will be AWESOME!!!!!!! GO VIKINGS

6. By Paul on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the mentorship argument, but last year it looked like LT was brooding on the sideline. I’m also not nearly as impressed by what he displayed in the 09 season. (Possibly was still recovering from injury). Here it is March though and we’re talkin’ Vikes! THIS IS GREAT! Peace out!

7. By Cole on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

LT+AD+BF=SBC

I’m sure this equation won’t surprise anyone.

8. By Mark L on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

AWSOME WE NEED LT!!!!!!!

9. By Kevin on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

the vikings will surely approve of L.T’s veteran leadership and yes i agree he will make an AWesome mentor for A.P

10. By Robin S. on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

LT is a great, respectful player. I do hope that we get him. He will make our team better. I agree that he will be a great mentor for Adrian. Please teach Adrian to hold on to the ball. And then with Brett, we can’t go wrong. Love the Vikings! Love Brett! Love LT!

11. By jeff b on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I love that L.t is a possibility, and i agree that he would compliment what we need for a r.b i just really hope the big guys upstairs realize o line is the biggest worry. without a stronger o line none of this (a.p, brett, l.t matters) GO VIKES

12. By Dave H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

SIGN LT PLEASE

13. By Adubb on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

WITH L.T. AND ANOTHER CORNER THEIR IS NO STOPPN US IN 2010.

14. By Brad on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Tomlinson is my favorite player and if they sign him i will actually be a fan of my home team for once and they will go all they way and finally win a super bowl.

15. By rodney on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

we better get some ppl signed soon if we want brett back

16. By Ramiro SD Bolt FAN 21 on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

All of us here in SD will miss the L TRAIN 21….he is the best Athlete San Diego ever had! Still a Charger FAN 4 LIFE but will cheer for LT ANYDAY

17. By Steven on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

LT is awesome, always loved him, always will. Sign.

18. By Burento on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Always a Brett Favre fan and this year became a big Vikings fan. Though purple may never be my favorite colour i think the Vikes will forever be my favorite team. Anyway, I love LT and the idea of having him in the backfield is awesome. I know there are a lot of naysayers on this move (Lt is too old, too slow, can’t block) but I think he’d be as awesome compliment to the Vikes backfield. The only problem now is who’s jersey I should wear.

19. By mikaylabh on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Please Vikings Fans… Do you really think that is all we need to make it to the Super Bowl. Is LT ? Don’t get me wrong, he would be a very nice fit. But, Would he cause some friction on the offense with AP. Granted, at least LT can hang on to the ball. Better than some other running back we have. Which needs to be addressed very seriously… We have a great offense already. We need some serious help on our DEFENSE !!!! Let’s get real people. The William Brothers are not getting any younger & our secondary SUCKS…. Besides Jared Allen we don’t have a pass rush. We need to get help on the other side for Jared. Plus, who do we have for a back up to Brett ??? Tavaris ? Please, he’s the biggest joke for a quarterback that I have seen. Sage ? He hot or cold from week to week. No consistincy… We need to have good draft picks in April…Preferably a Quarterback for the future. Also get some secondary help in the draft & offensive lineman. Let’s not forget about Bryant McKinnie, talk about a worthless lineman. Couldn’t even finish the game against the panthers because Julius Peppers was killing him…Guess what, he’s in Chicago now !!!!! Don’t get me wrong. I love our VIKINGS, but we need more help than just LT !!!!!!!!!

20. By Lance on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Welcome L.T.!!!!!! San Diego’s loss and our huge gain. Do whatever it takes to get him signed!!!

21. By Jordan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I think Lt would be great. To mikaylabh, you think allen is our only pass rusher? Have u seen ray edwards? He does spend alot of time hurt. I say sign LT, (he’s everything chester was as a 3rd down back plus more). I agree we need a o line. mckinnie wont cut it, especailly facing peppers twice a yr. We need some d backs too. And i say we trade berrain, since his hamstring is hurt half the season every year and get a speedy reciever. As for QB obviously id luv to have brett back, but if he doesnt com back… Tjack sucks, havent seen enuf of Sage so i cant say. I want to see Booty give it a run. He was good in college. We cut him from the practice squad but i hope they keep him close

22. By CoryJames on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

JD Booty is no longer with the Vikings lol. Vikings need to go for Joe Haden in the draft aka best CB in the draft. Winfield is being very underestimated and will have another good season. We need another SS tyrell johsnon isnt cuttin it. Madieu Williams is a good FS though. Next we need to fix the right side first and get a right guard. Then get a left tackle cus you guys are right McKinnie is garbage but a HUGE piece of garbage. If he goes back to how he was playing he is great! We need absolutely NO help with RB situation if LT is signed. I do not believe their will be any controversy between LT and AP because before the vikings sign him they will let him no he has no chance on being the number 1 RB. AP is still the best RB in the NFL even with his fumbling never get rid of the FACE of your team. Vikes gonna be superbowl contenders this year. I LOVE MY VIKINGS BABY!

23. By OLDSCHOOL on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I guess I may be the only person who is not that excited about a pending L.T. signing!? He has not been a favorite of mine due to his attitude over the years, I don’t think he is a team guy, and I hope when, if he is signed, he understands this is a very close team in the locker room and he will not be able to come in here with that attitude that he has shown over the years, when things aren’t going his way, and disrupt that locker room! He also needs to understand that he will no longer be the man !

24. By crusher on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

WASHED UP

25. By Bigfan1 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Number one he’s another franchise running back who has proven himself even getting MVP one year and a HOF contender, six years older than AP, I think if LT is happy being a second liner and AP is open to mentoring and improving his game sign him. We would no doubt have the best backfield in the NFL. I’m also concerned about what running backs might be an option in the draft. I think if the opportunity lends itself the Vikes will sign him.

26. By vikingsfan4life on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

LT, well thats a start but we still need a QB, AP and LT can’t do it all, lets see how long favre drags this out on weather he is coming back or if that INT that he threw in the saints game is going to be it for him or not ???????????

27. By Arrowhead on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

If tomlinson isn’t kidding himself he has a chance at being starter, than sign him

28. By Keybo_the_Viking on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

This is a move that I would love to see happen! I was not happy about losing Taylor, but to sign LT would be huge and would almost make you say, “Chester who?” LT is the same type back that Chester was, so this will not hurt us at all, plus I believe LT to be more respected among the NFL than CT was (unfortunate for him). AP has been reported to have a ton of respect for LT and working with him directly could be huge for the development of AP! SKOL!!

29. By vikingsfan4life on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Also you have to ask yourself, what has LT done for the chargers in the last 2 years????nothing !!!!!! so therefore I am not to sure if LT fits in with the vikings offence, I guess we will see if he signs with the vikings, not let’s move on to the QB spot, that’s what the vikings should be looking at right now not RB’s…

30. By NeZ on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I must say as a vikings fan for more than 2 decades now we’ve come far. What we really need to do is release Childress. On the contrary, LT would be a huge asset to the vikes. Just how Favre had Aaron Rodgers under his wing in green bay, LT will do the same by teaching AP all he knows as a veteran RB. Also, I would have to agree that we need help in our secondary. Our D-line is great but as far as our cornerbacks and safety’s go, I don’t like what I see. I truely believe we’d be true Sbowl contenders if we reshape our secondary and I know true viking fans would agree with me. Regardless though even if we didn’t get LT we’d still be superbowl contenders bc we came close 09 season but a few errors and a stupid, stupid call on Childress’ part to go for a pass play instead of a quick run to set up a field goal for one of the best kickers in NFL, longwell. It still bothers me that we didn’t just kick a field goal even though it would be a 55 yd kick. SAD!!! Overall let’s hope we do end up getting a good back up for AP if not we have to give Young a chance..GO ViKes 2010 Superbowl champs!

31. By Jimmy Z on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

sign him immediately!!!!!! it would be a great acquisition. he could mentor AP. Sell tickets for the vikings. Show Brett we want to win.

32. By Bob on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

that would be so sick to have LT!! Saw some article that the vikings might try to move up in the draft to get jimmy clawson or someone… also got a new kicker that can kick it into the endzone… one thing the vikings really need is an offensive line

33. By purplehorn on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Everyone acts like LT is signed. He is coming in to talk and the Vikings are going to check him out to make sure he can play….which I’m convinced he still can. He has a gear he hasn’t shown in some time that he wants to show. Hey Norv, see ya!

34. By CoryJames on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I dont think the Vikings will try and get a future QB this year or even next year. The Vikings will continue relying on veteran QB’s like Favre for this year, McNabb maybe next year?!?! Vikings need a SOLID CB TOP PRIORITY. I was so disappointed we didnt go after the CB from the Texans- Robinsons or antrelle rolle. We need a solid safety, and a right guard. Please sign LT, He is by far a better catching RB for screens then taylor was. He will also be able to get less carries meaning no chance for injuries. Comeon guys he is ONLY 30 same age as Taylor. Cant really say he is washed up?! I LOVE MY VIKINGS!

35. By Joe on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I like the contrast of running styles of AP and LT. Having LT on third down would be a great contrast of running styles. LT has so much experience, he could propbably really help Adrian. Tomlinson would be great on screens too. I especially hope we can get him now that Jones has signed with someone else.

36. By mike on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

this would be one of the best moves we made since bringing in Favre, I cant wait to see this guy in a Vikings uniform, he is not done he will compliment Peterson, Favre and our wack offensive line with his versatility, He is one of the best backs to play the game I doubt he could take peterson’s job but he can give him a run for his money, Oh yea anyone hear Big Ben struck again

37. By vikings012 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

getting LT would be pretty cool i dont think he’d have a super impact but i still think hes got alot to offer and i think it would be good for AP to one get him some rest and two so that maybe LT can help AP work on his fumbling problem. LT would be a good fit for the viks

38. By John Reeves on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

don’t sign him, he and adrian peterson were at it not too long ago all because jim brown was praising peterson. he won’t bring anything positive to the locker room,look for someone else in the draft.

39. By mike on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

sign him sign him sign him thats all i got to say

40. By mike on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

westbrook is to hurt and rarely rushed for a thousand yards L.T. as gotten there every year except last year so here we go again lets do it this year

41. By SD vikes fan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Getting him would be great i don’t think he is as washed up as people think he probably could have had 1,000 yards if it wasn’t for Sproles if we get him and Leigh Bodden from NE and if we get more Defensive players we could be a great team, and i would also like to mention that the K signing is better than most people think Longwell only had 4 touchbacks last year…….

42. By Brian on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

If the Vikings can sign Ladamian Tolinson, how about also signing Westbrook? It would be expensive, but I don’t mind spending Zigi’s money if he doesn’t. It is an uncapped year. Imagine that backfield.

43. By ethan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Who could help mentor AP fumble-itis problem better than LT? I don’t think AP had any buisness in the Conference Championship going against the #1 turnover D. Chester was totally disrespected that game. He should’ve played not AP so next season when we’re in the Conference, we’ll have LT to come save Adrians but. I love you Adrian but dang dude.

44. By Stephen S. on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

in the New York Daily News it confirms that rb LT
    is going to visit vikings and it is looking very promising…Tomlinson really likes the viking Offensive line and has no problem being second to adrian peterson. this will give the Vikings a great 1-2 punch in the back field.

45. By Eric Ingram on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

LT will be fun to watch. To the loosers that think he is washed up you dont know anything about football. Brett Favre was supppse to be washed up and he had the best season of his carreer last year. If we can get LT on the team it should help the team alittle bit

46. By flob on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

mikaylabh, your a complete and total idiot. the Vikes led the entire NFL in sacks last year, so they are getting plenty of heat on the QBs. The williams are NOT brothers, and still are one of the best tackle duos in the league. We need a stud MLB because health issues with E.J, and maybe another CB. If you knew anything you would knoe MckKinnie was playing with a high anckle sprain against the Panthers. LT will get more respect than Chester did catching the ball out of the backfield, so if Farve comes back, the VIKES will be even better!!!Why don’t you become a Bear fan, you whine like one.

47. By Bill G on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

LT on the Vikes would be alright. Similar, but I think a step down from CT. We all know Favre is coming back, so I think QB is good for this year. And next? Tarvaris Jackson has the skillset to be a winning QB. He has watched Brett for a season now and even if BF doesn’t come back, the Vikes have a shot. Their team is good now and if somehow EJ comes back from that nasty injury, they will be solid at D. I think the draft should be a CB in the 1st, G at 2, and a RB in the third. There are going to be solid RBs even in the third round, but Young looked good as the 3rd back anyway. I think that Corner is a must in the first, and there are some athletic, talented guys at that spot in this draft. Go Vikings!

48. By troy on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

LT would be a great backup, but why are the Vikings making no moves to improve the offensive line that was weak last year?

49. By troy on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

With the decline in our running game and Brett getting hit as mush as he did and now the addition of Peppers to the Bears, why is Minnesota not making moves to improve the O-line?

50. By Stephanie on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Troy, maybe they’re waiting for the draft, I’m not sure what good offensive linemen are out there in free agency.

51. By Bryan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I think this would be great move!! A great mentor to Peterson and show him how to hang on to the ball. Skol Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!

52. By paul on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

If LT is so great, than why did the Chargers let him go?
    1. Could it be because he won’t play hurt.
    2. Has a hard time picking up the blitz.
    3. Doesn’t aways get along with his teanmates.

Really does AP need a mentor in his 4th. year.

53. By Purple Heart on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree with OLDSCHOOL and Paul, LT is not ” the man ” anymore, however he has publicly stated that he believes he is. I’m sure it’s difficult for a hall-of-fame runningback to accept this reality. His numbers the past couple of years reflect this. Chester embraced his role in the offense and there wasn’t a better, more durable blocking back in the NFL. His departure was business and I understand this, however he will be missed. If LT understands his role, then maybe. We will see what transpires Thur., but there some serious question marks.

54. By rap99 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

BILL G, TJ has no skill set, he has no skill, give it up. if you are counting on TJ to do anything at QB your nuts. the vikes will not draft a RB in the third round, too many other needs.

55. By Bigfan1 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I liked LT’s comments that he’s looking to run less and be a third down runner so far he seems the perfect fit, I truly hope he feels he fits also then it will be done deal.