What We Learned On Leno Last Night

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 5, 2010 – 8:19 am

Click here to view video of Favre’s appearance on “The Tonight Show.”

Given how the last 2 offseasons have played out for Brett Favre and the teams with which he’s been associated, most Vikings fans didn’t anticipate learning what the future held for their team and the legendary QB during his appearance on Jay Leno’s “The Tonight Show” Thursday night.

But just because Favre didn’t announce his intentions for 2010 doesn’t mean we didn’t learn anything. After his chat with Leno and actor Matthew McConaughey on the set of “The Tonight  Show” we now know the following:

– Favre joked that the “real reason” for the trip to Los Angeles was to take their 10-year-old daughter to a Hannah Montana contest

– The QB described the 2009 season as “Way better than I could’ve dreamed.”

– With a boisterous audience obviously filled with Favre and Vikings fans, Favre said one of the biggest accomplishments for him in 2009 was winning over the majority of Vikings fans after being “hated” for so many years in Minnesota.

– Favre said he watched the just the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, calling that period great, and that he actually didn’t see the commercial that featured him.

Favre was relaxed with Leno and the two were actually quite funny together. After seeing their season come to an end in such a bitter and heart-breaking manner, perhaps it was good for Vikings fans to see their QB in such a context.

50 Responses to “What We Learned On Leno Last Night”

1. By Debbie Bowman on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Brett its not that you had to win the Viking fans over cause we hated you(I hate to think you felt that way we were in awe of how good you are and hoped you would be as good in purple) We just respected how good you were and we’re hoping you would do the same for us as you did with the Packers and the Jets. You surpassed our wildest dreams and almost brought us back to the Super Bowl. We love you and I finally got to see you play at the Bears game . It was the most awesome experience of my 53 years. Please come back one more year.

2. By mark koch on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

brett…..as much as i loathed the packers….for some strange reason, i never hated #4….just loved your passion for the game….never taunting the other team you were beating….just playing for the love of the game….here’s to one more year!!!

3. By Mike Harrington on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

We didn’t hate you with the Pack, we feared you! Minnesota fans are lucky you gave us such an incredible season! Please bring it back again! Your the best!

4. By Joe Harris on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

last season even with the heartbreaking way it ended was the best time i have ever had watching the vikings, just imagine how good they could be with a year of playing together under their belts. As far as winning us over, I’ve always though you were the best, green and gold just arn’t good colors for you. Please give us one more shot, I really believe thats all we need to get that trophy.

5. By Bruce on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Brett confused hate with envy. I think he is coming back because he made sure he said that he hasn’t made a decesion. When fans are putting up billboards and talking ads out in his local newspaper, it sure makes it harder for him to say no. Keep it up!

6. By Sharon on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

As a long-time Vikings fan, I always wished you were OUR quarterback. It was one of the very best seasons I can remember for a long, long time. I have my fingers crossed that you’ll be back next season (maybe with a little better protection). What else will I do with those #4 T-shirts I bought. Please come back.

7. By Mike on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with everyone here in that I don’t want to see you come back for 1 more year, I want to see you come back for 3 more years!!!! Hold out for a longer contract till the 2nd preseason game and get us 3 trophies!!!!! All that aside, it is our selfishness that wants to see you come back (can you blame us, we want a winner on our team) but I’m sure the decision is based on the long term affects from playing on. With that said, how will you feel #4 in 15 years when your asking yourself “could I have gotten to the promised land in 2010″. Tough decision but I’ll support you whatever you decide.

8. By Ronnie Hampton on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey brett you are the best there ever was or ever will be
    you and the vikings only lost to the the saints because of bad calls
    and no calls even with the turn overs you still had them beat had you
    got the calles that they blew the nfl should be held responsable for that
    not you.
    I HOPE YOU COME BACK .
    i watched you with the falcons, packers, jets and vikings
    and i would watch you on a high school football team we all love you
    never mind what any haters say they are more then likely steelers fans
    and well that shows how smart they are.
    HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN PURP IN 2010 YOUR FAN ALWAYS RONNIE.

9. By Mike West on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Brett i’ve been watching you play football since the first pass you threw for the packers. I’ve been deployed to Bosnia, 2 tours in Iraq and i’ll tell you every sunday i would sit back and watch the best quarterback that ever played the game. If my missions didn’t allow me to watch the game i would read about it. You have been my inspiration for years i’m a 38 year old Sergeant First Class in the U.S. army and i’m at my 20 years i’ll tell you if i can hang on and keep doing what i do then i hope you can too. I’m gonna give the army 3 more years i hope you do the same in football. Thanks for all you do on and off the field.

SFC West
    U.S. Army Cavalry Scout

10. By Chad on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

1 more Brett! For the fans!

11. By matt dimuzio on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

brett please come back for one more year this time we will win it all

12. By S Anderson on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Bret, you did win us fans over. You even said you had a great time and was better than you could have imagined. That being said, how can you leave the fans that supported you through this year hanging on your every move. You have got to be kidding me if you think it is ok to exclude yourself from the team and just sit back and relax through the offseason. You DO OWE IT to your team mates and supporters to show some fire and say you will be back to try and finish what you started. You are a football player or you are not. I never met any superbowl champs who’s starting qb says he is just going to kick back and not think of football all offseason. Next years champs are already chomping at the bit to get back and get things started. But not you.

13. By SJ McKinley on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

S Anderson: You think Brett is not fired up? as Childress said, there is no manual on how to keep a 40-41 year old quarterback in shape. Brett knows what he is doing. After all he gives in the season, he recharges by relaxing, being with family and being with nature. Childress said he thought the key to Brett’s success was brett knew how to take care of his body and his mind. Brett’s played more consecutive games than any player in the history of football. He knows something (or as he says, has an instinct) none of the rest of us do. Lay off and don’t try to tell the best player in the history of football how to heal and play!!

Brett, watched you since ’92. You are the most exciting thing ever to happen to football. Take care of yourself so we can have an even better year–or at least as exciting!!

14. By laura on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I have loved the Vikings for 26 years never hated Farve,and I hope he plays at least one more year Vinkings fans NEED a super bowl PLEASE STAY!!!

15. By Brian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Brett I have been a huge Vikings fan for over 30 years and I remember all those years when you played in Green Bay and how badly you beat us at times…I always thought to myself ” Now that’s who we need at the quarterback position ” …When that actually became a reality last year I was so glad to finally be able to cheer for you rather than against you….You made it soooo much fun for me to watch football again and I even got the chance to see you play in Pittsburgh and although we lost I still loved seeing you play…I hope you come back and do it again but if you don’t please know that I loved having you on our side and grew to respect you not only as a player but as a man…..YOU ROCK !!!!!!

16. By kris on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This year was absolutely AWESOME! Bought season tix the day it was announced that Brett had the surgery to fix his biceps tendon! Hands-down THE most exciting football season I have ever witnessed—PLEASE COME BACK!!!!!

Former Packer Fan, Ted Thompson/Wonky-Eye McCarthy Hater, Brett Favre Fan Forever!!!

17. By manuel on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

hey brett, your the greatest qb there is, i started watching football because of you. I play Rb for my school and its because of you, and grew up watching you and nveer missed a game, yea i know its touph but your brett farve the touphest player out there. so get out there and show them that your the best, that you deserve that 2nd ring, and go take back what is yours!!

18. By Thomas Dohman on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett, YOU CAN DO IT ! Win that Superbowl that’s just waiting there to take next year.

You can and you’ll have an army of friends to help.

thomas

19. By George Nieves on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett, My father Passed away three years ago. He was a Packers fan because of you. I became a viking fan because of warren moon. But you won me over years ago. I always told him that it would be great if you came to the vikings so he and I could cheer for the same team. I know he was in heaven enjoying this season along with me. It would mean the world to us and viking fans everywhere if you did it one more year. I know the vikings will do it. The whole team is unbelievable. But without you they would be and feel the way I do without my father. Incomplete!!! I love you dad, Brett, and the vikings!! Besides I don’t think Jared Allen will have as much fun without you! lol

20. By Walter on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I do believe Brett should come back another year but he needs to commit now! We need him there are 3 other solid up and comming QB’s in the other NFC North teams. Commit now Brett we need you! Regarded as the most talented roster in the NFL how far will that take us with out a PROVEN solid QB under center?

21. By Matt DeRose on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a viking fan for 21 yrs; Still a HUGE fan of the 1998 team, but this years team was just as good if not better. We were stacked offensively led by the best QB in all of football. I believe in my team every single year, and i’d rather go into another tough year led by #4 rather than REMEMBERING #4. YOU STILL GOT IT BRETT!

22. By Shane DeRose on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

SKOL Vikes!!! Brett, we love you and and need you back for next year. All of us know we’re Superbowl bound with you. ONE MORE YEAR!!

23. By Cory Woessner on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett you won all vikings fans over now lets do it again next year and go all the way…There is not a chance when you all get Rumbling next year anyone will beat ya…Good Luck GO VIKINGS

24. By VikingsFanatic on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett…where to begin? Please give this one more year. We dominated the Saints and but for a few turnovers would be polishing the Lombardi trophy right now. We showed everyone hoe good we can be now its time to show em how great. ONE MORE YEAR>

25. By Michael McClure on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett you are not only the best QB in the league but your also the best role model for kids because even though Ive been IaHuge Vikings fan all my life I always found myself admiring and respecting you for the way you played the game. You have always been like a kid when you play with enthusiasim and relentlessness energy. I had always wondered in my mind what it would be like seeing #4 in purple and when you left GB I just knew in my heart that you would someday be a Viking. When my dream finally came true there aren’t words to describe my joy. This was the most exciting season for me and it was all because of you. So Brett being one play away from the SB and retiring will always haunt you with What could have been and I know you don’t want to always say What if. BRETT COME BACK YOU BELONG IN PURPLE!

26. By purple08 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

All you people who write these corny letters and refer to Lord Farve as “Brett” like you are on a first name basis with him and have some kind of personal connection to him make me laugh! Do you think he comes on here to read your misguided drivel? He should only be refered to as “LORD FARVE” from now on since everyone likes to bow down in front of him and kiss his purple boots. You are nothing more than his puny insignifigent subjects who serve no purpose but to stroke his gigantic ego. Nice job! The way you plea to him to bless your lives with another year of his services is insane. LORD FARVE is the most overrated QB in nfl history and he could not carry Joe Montana’s jock strap! He cost us the Superbowl and should be booed out of town. If I knew where he lived, I would egg his house. Just retire you hack! BOOOOOOOOO! …..Go T-Jack!

27. By dee expacker fan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Well for the most part I loved reading all the comments. There are no words to describe how much I loved watching Brett play all through the yrs. and how much I loved this last yr. Anyone who thinks Brett lost the game against the Saints is crazy. I have never seen such biased officiating. And even Brad Childress admitted he was responsible for the 12 men on the field which probably cost them the game. The Vikings were a better team but had everything stacked against them! Even with the turnovers they should have won that game. And I hate the way it ended up depending on a coin toss!! How unfair is that!! I hope Brett comes back but no matter what he will always have my respect and admiration!!!!

28. By TW VIKE on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

purple pea brain- Did you witness the same season the rest of us did ? Favre is the leader of this team. If you dont like it, say GOOD BYE !

29. By kris on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

purple08:

BRETT doesn’t wear boots…

30. By SJ McKinley on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

purple 08–Why don’t you sneak back to Green Bay where you came from? Cost you the superbowl? did you watch it? how about the five fumbles, 12 men in a huddle and a lo hit never called. When Brett rose from the training table to go back into the game it was like watchig the terminator rise again. Can’t you tell he loves his fans. Ego? Oh, yeah, cause he sat talking about his daughter and Hannah Montana and actually brought the family priest on the trip?

I’ve watched Brett (yes, Brett) play since ’92 and every single year has been exciting, but his year with the Vikings may be the best ever. it’s been a long time he has looked so happy with alll his teammates.

When history looks back. Brett Favre will be the greatest player ever in the history of the game for all he brings to the table.

31. By purple08 on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

It’s LORD FARVE!…Idiots. It was his fault he could not get A.P. the ball on that fumbled hand off inside the 10 yrd line and he tried to be a hero with that stupid INT that cost us the game. If he just sat down instead of being the glory hog that he always has been, we kick a 49 yard field goal and Superbowl here we come. Greatest player ever in the history of the game??? 1 Superbowl ring? Are you serious or delerious? Lay off the crack! Who gives a s h i t about hanah montana and the priest. Sounds like a dirty joke if you ask me. Man, are you people blind. You watch way too much television. Greatest player ever in the history of the game? Oh my God are you ever sc rewed in the head.

32. By purple08 on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Kris, I guess you haven’t heard the Black Sabbath song “Fairies wear boots” have you?

33. By Jerry Pederson on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Being a Viking fan since 1960 I have been through a number of bad losses. I can only hope that the players and coaches felt as bad as I did after the Saints game.
    After weeks of crying in my beer and wine I have decided to continue to be one of the greatest Viking fans ever. Besides I would have to get a new wardrobe, everything I own is purple. Please Brett one more year…I need a super bowl victory in my lifetime.
    P.S Thanks for the great year Vikings….

34. By Saua Leaupepetele on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Brett even from where I live, far away in the south pacific, New Zealand watching you play in purple was great and everything you did with and for the Vikings was what the NFL needed, your what younger QB’s in the leauge should take a look at cause you play the game for the right reasons. When crowds cheer for you it’s because your the real deal and when they are booing you it’s only fear of what your gonna do to thier team. Keep going bro.

35. By Stephanie on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

purple08… I feel sorry for you. were you as ticked off at Tavaris Jackson when he played terrible AT HOME against the eagles in the WILD-CARD PLAYOFF GAME??? Brett played lights out the whole entire game except for that last pass. if that 12 men in the huddle penalty was not called, you would have talked about how great Brett played, b/c they would have kicked a fieldgoal and most likely made it. no wait, never mind, you probably thought he played terrible against the Cowboys the week before throwing 4 TDs against the #2 scoring defense. my bad. I guess you forgot about the Percy Harvin fumble and the Berrnard Berrien fumble in the redzone….and the dropped interception IN OVERTIME!!! you think that Colts fans want Peyton Manning back after that costly INT in the final minutes of the superbowl? of course they do, they’re not stupid or hateful.

36. By packer4fan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

I am happy that Brett has so many Vikings fans that appreciate him. I am a long time Packer Fan but still love Brett Favre. In the end, he was not treated well in Green Bay and deserves the right to play where he wants. As hard as it is to watch him in the Viking jersey and see him beat the Pack, I want all the best for him hope he does not retire. It is simply a joy to watch him play no matter where it is.

37. By arnpack on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Born and raised in WI! Packer fan till I die. After Brett was unwelcomed back to Pack I wished him well anywhere he went. After he was booed by Pack in Green Bay I wnated th Pack to lose bad during the year and Brett to do better then ever. How can you boo an individual that meant so much to a team?! I hope he comes back to you Vikes and wins a bowl for your team and himself.

38. By corey on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

BRETT…nice year!!!!! Would love to see u back for at least 1more..I know it is asking alot…I am 34 and want to still play..but feeling it…sore all week..tweaking hamstrings in games..but u are in better shape than I lol I just think that with 1 year of experience and hopefully we can protect u a little better…Saints are cheap shot artist’s..those hits were cheap man!! If that was Tom Brady they would have been called!! Anyway I cried and really felt this was our only shot to win it all..unless u bless us with 1 more year! I go to see u play the LIons..hope to see at least that game this year with U as our QB…dont let anyone make it for u…if u want and have the desire to play…and I KNOW U DO! give it 1 more year PLEASE!! even if you dont make it or get hurt…I think you have a great shot at your super bowl retirement with us this year!! GO BRETT..LOVE and RESPECT ya man…U WERE GREAT!! Best time watching the games and you on and off the field that I have EVER had! PEace..and my pants are on the ground..as am I…praying for u in 2010

39. By PACKERFAN on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Well Brett did what he wanted to do this last season, he stuffed it in the face of Ted Thompson, and kudos to him for doing so. Thompson is an ass – - – -! That’s why Seattle got rid of his sorry ass.

That being said, Minnesota finds itself in the same situation in that as good as Farve is or isn’t, father time marches on and he will HAVE to retire before long, like now…The Vikings like the Packers need to take a long-view post Farve. You might get a couple of more years out of him, and that would be great! I would love to see him kick that Packers butt in a NFC championship game.

But keep this in mind. Put yourself in his shoes. Think about how nutty it must be for him to have millions of people telling him what he should do, where he should go, when he should play, WHETHER HE SHOULD PLAY, and on and on.
    I wonder how you would like it to have your every move and comment dissected 24/7. It would be like having to worry if someone was taking a picture of you with a long-shot lens while your on the toilet.

Give Brett a break, he plays football and he does it well, but he puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else, and I am pretty sure he does not want the whole process on the nightly news!

40. By Jerry on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

We learned alot of things this last season. We learned that Brett is the man. Everyone wants him to come back for one reason. To get the trophy. We have had 4 chances in past years & look how close we came with only one season with Brett. I think if he comes back we will definately be in the big show. I agree that i would like to see him come back for more than one more year. It would be nice to repeat in the superbowl. So Brett if you read this remember 2 more years & you could have 2 more superbowl rings. Whatever you decide, we love you & it was great having a man of your talent on our team. Please give us that chance for a superbowl win or two. You rock Brett.

41. By Billy on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

A ten year old could’ve gotten us to the play-offs in that situation against the saints. all he had to do was tuck and run, but oh no, the gunslinger throws it into double coverage: game over. if favre does come back, which i hope he does, he better have a better season than this one. and the only way he couldve had a better season is ending with a trip to the super bowl.

42. By DJSpartan1 on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Farve……I only hated the ‘colors’ (grn/gld), was jealous you weren’t “showin’ horns”, and in awe of your talent and unselfishness to the game. Thank You for letting the fans of Minnesota experience what you gave to other franchises and hope you decide to go another round in 2010!!!!!

43. By im a favre fan forever on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

purple08 really needs to shut up!!! try going to 2 superbowls winning one. winning 3 mvp awards and being the first QB to win at 40. do all of that then come back and talk smack okay? love you favre!!! <3
    you are my hero and i am your biggest fan!!!
    4EVER AND 4ALWAYS A NUMBER 4 FAN!!! I LOVE FAVRE<3

44. By Bradyyy7 on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Come back brett for just one more year your the only reason we made it too the championship game and I believe in you that you could lead us to the superbowl and win it just one last year brett

45. By purple08 on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

LORD FARVE needs to get back on the pain killers. Once a junkie, always a junkie. He should have an asterix next to his name just like Mark Mcguire for steroids. Brett took drugs so he could play better and should have been kicked out of the league a long time ago. He is worse than Barry Bonds. Just retire you freaking liar. Nothing but a big fat phony! You su ck!

46. By P. Thompson on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Brett; Saw you on Leno and it was a riot. It’s nice to see you having a good time and not being knocked down. I’ve been a Packer fan since 1982 but I have to admit I watched every Vikings game this year and rooted for you (Brett, not the Vikings), even when you played the Pack. You make the game fun to watch no matter who you play for. Here’s hoping we fans get another year to watch you “have fun”. If you decide it’s time to hang it up, “it’s been a great ride for all of us”. Enjoy the rest of the off season.

47. By joe weiss on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Brett, I’m a Packer fan (season ticket holder for the last 55 years). I AM NOT a Vikings fan nor will I ever be. But I AM a Brett Favre Fan! Good luck to you whatever decision you make and I look forward to seeing your #4 retired and up on the Lambeau Field wall in the future.

48. By Tricia on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Not being an american I love watching great players and would like to thank the Vikings organistion for a great decision we got to watch almost every game the vikings played on our free to air sports channel. It was such a good season that even people who don’t watch NFL watched the viking and knew what was happening.

Thank you to the vikings team for an enjoyable season.

Thank you to Brett Farve you made me love watching the game again.

To Mike West Be Safe.

Waiting with anticipation for new season
    From Sydney, Australia

49. By Tim on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Deanna Favre… I wish to thank you for sharing Brett with this Vikings fan last year. I’ve read the posts about how us Vikings fan were not haters and the word that resonates the most with me is Respect. I hated when the packers would come to MN and play the Vikes because I didn’t know how we were going to stop Favre. I figure it had to hurt but I love the look on Bretts face after getting hit by a defender. As to say “I thought you were going to bring it. Was that really a hit? I probably wouldn’t have even fell down if I wasn’t trying to get a penalty flag from the ref…”
    Randy Moss in his rookie year with Culpepper tossing the ball was a good season. But as far as fun to watch I have to go all the way back to Fran Tarkington to find a season that gave me as much excitement that I got watching your husband drive the purple and gold down the field.
    Thank you for sharing him with me, with us fans. Go ahead and talk him into one more year.

2. Mar 6, 2010: View Video Of Favre’s ‘Tonight Show’ Appearance | Alltainment