Super Bowl Finally Brings Closure

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 9, 2010 – 10:04 am

Regardless of how it makes you feel, the New Orleans Saints victory over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV last Sunday brought closure. I see it as closure to the NFC Championship Game loss the Vikings endured to New Orleans, though, more than closure to the 2009 season.

With the Super Bowl finally in the rear view mirror, I feel we can now commence our look back at the 2009 season and how special it was. Doing so before the Super Bowl, however, would’ve simply caused us to redirect our conversation to the disappointing loss in New Orleans. Now, however, there’s no reason to focus our conversation on the NFC Championship Game. Instead, we can look back at the ‘09 season, point out the good things about it, figure out how to learn from the disappointing aspects it and then focus our attention on how the Vikings can improve for the 2010 season.

In the next couple of weeks before the NFL Scouting Combine, vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog will spend some time reviewing the 2009 season – from top plays to record breakers to Pro Bowlers to the success of the draft class to some of the unheralded stars that performed well in ‘09.

So be sure to keep coming back to vikings.com throughout the offseason because we’ll have something new for you every day.

29 Responses to “Super Bowl Finally Brings Closure”

1. By Dennis on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I feel that the Colts O line did a great job of protecting Payton. Unlike in the Vikings or the Cardinal games where the QB’s were getting killed. I do believe that this is where the Vikings really need to improve and it will be the key element in getting Favre to come back for another year. He needs protection and the running game needs some holes to open up. It all starts up front to open up the passing game and keeping drives alive longer, helps keep the Defense fresher. In spite of the big names and the big bucks they get paid, they are not getting it done!
    Dennis

2. By malte on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I think it was a wonderfull season despite the unlucky defeat against the superbowl champs, it could have been us, but we will be back once again next year, No one is as mighty as the kings.. the VIKINGS! looking forward to seeing vikings in action again, and looking back at the 2009 season, aswell as looking forward to the draft, and seeing the Vikes makes as good picks as last. Rookie of the year on the 22nd pick? way to go :) SKÅL VIKES!

3. By Jerry on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I think our season went pretty well. Brett showed everybody that he is not washed up. Our defense played great. Rice had a blow out season, Percy Harvin deserved to get rookie of the year. He is going to be a great receiver & will probably go in the record books as receiver & kick returner. I feel that we should’ve beat New Orleans, too bad for the turnovers. Kinda good to see a different team make it to the big show. Next year it will be us.

4. By bigfan on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

LETS BOUNCE BACK NEXT SEASON. bretts gonna be back hes not going to go out on an interception believe u me. skol

5. By bigfan on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

look manning supposidly best qb in league did the exact same thing favre did. isnt that ironic

6. By Janaka Hanvey on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I think the Vikings owe it to their fans to check into the backgrounds of the officating crew of the NFC Championship game. There is no reason for the Vikings to even compete if they are going to get jobbed by the officials. I would not be surprised if the Mafia of New Orleans paid off at least one offical. Hey, if it can happen in the NBA it can happen in the NFL. There is no way they could have missed so many calls without doing it on purpose. Especially where the Saint trapped the ball on the ground and it even bounced, and he was awarded a catch after review. It seems like the Vikings were sacrificed for the New Orleans feel good story. I will no longer watch football. I have no faith that nothing will stand in the way of a feel good story. The games are meaningless.

7. By Hornedhelm on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree the O-line needs attention, as mentioned get the running game going – this is what this line was built for…not pass protecting. if that is the case then there may be a major overhaul needed…I don’t see that happening. We need a huge right guard with a nasty disposition if we are going to keep sully..he might read defenses well, but he gets beat a lot. I know Hutch was hurt adn is showed in his play…he is tough, but that left side was not the same. Matt Birk??? was he that good? I liked him, but that is the past.

8. By SkolVikings on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I know this is the eternal spinning wheel, but I think the Vikings need to assume Favre isn’t coming back. I know, I know the history. But with words like, “I don’t feel like I have anything left to prove,” and some of the hits he took in the playoffs? IDK, I think the great gunslinger is done. He may very well prove me wrong, and if he does, great from Bret. But in the meantime, are we going to draft a QB? Sign an old one? Use Sage or T-Jack? I really think this is our biggest worry towards working for a SB.

9. By Hornedhelm on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Let Favre help design the offensive schemes and play / personel groups. He is a coach on the field, let him run the offense. He can take the designs from paper and make it into a tangible offensive weapon. The brass may need to swallow some pride.

10. By Hornedhelm on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

SKOL – I still think Chilly still has Tjack in his back pocket…he is the only guy that still believes in the kid, and I think it is all about pride and ego. that said we will look for a QB in free agency if Favre says NO and draft a QB for the future. A Flacco or Ryan type kid would do well in the offensive scheme…don;t ask for much from the QB just don’t lose the game…”manage” it

11. By Terry T on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Janake is a little harsh on those blind referees in New Orleans, but that was the worst officiciated game that I have ever watched. You cannot take three steps at the quarterback after he has thrown the ball and then level him. I think the interference call on the sideline was a joke, and I doubl very much if the pass was completed that was questioned. I am glad the Saints won, but it was not a good effort by the refs. EX packer fan, and now I am going to “Show my Horns”

12. By meswant on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

From watching the re-run games again this season, it seems the most trouble Brett had was from the outside, not many guys got to him up the middle. Also, AP seemed to have little success when going to the outside verus going straight up the middle. I would try to get guys on the outside to get better protection for out qb & to hold the line for AP. Overall, I believe the guys had a great season, a few moments of not remembering how to catch the ball or how to tackle, but I really enjoyed watching our guys play & cannot wait till the new season!!!!!

Brett, please come back!!!!!!

13. By paul on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Terry T/ex-packer fan. Are those the horns the Saints sawed off?

Guys face the facts the Vikings got beat by a better team, the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints

14. By hank on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

PAUL ENJOY YOUR HANDED SUPERBOWL WIN WITH YOUR OWN YOU CANNOT DENY WHAT YOU SAW

15. By tim on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

the saint’s won the game, but were not the better team that day.I was there and the crowd noise was out of this world and the vikes killed them in first downs 31 to 12 if i remember right and also double them in yardage. The saints won on the scorboard and i know that’s all that matters, but without the five turnovers it wouldn’t have been close.

16. By BradenEichten-HUTCHINSON on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

The only thing about the Saints beating the colts is that the Vikings in 2009 were the best team in the league, we went into NO and slapped them around really well, a few choice calls and one or two less turnovers the Vikings are hoisting the Lombardi trophy and not the 2nd best team in the league. Get Randy Moss back to Minnesota and lets see Brett Favre throwing touchdown after touchdown to the best offense ever assembled on a footbal field.

17. By Dennis on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

They had Moss and Carter and Reed and Robert Smith all on the same team at the same time and couldn’t get it done…whats your point?

18. By tim on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

you add favres name to that list and the vikes would have won multiple superbowls and fave would be without a shadow of doubt the greatest q.b. ever thats the point dennis.

19. By Hornedhelm on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree that the NFL really wanted the Saints to win the superbowl. The refs were really one sided, but also think that Brett will be back. It will mark the Vikings 50th year in the league it will be a year long celebration…consider this year a practice year next year the NFL will allow the Vikings to finally get the Trophy.

20. By Hornedhelm on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I really like what I saw of Loadholt this year. yeah he had some problems but his hustle, toughness and ability to understand that these are the PRO’s impressed me. KEEP IT UP!1 you will make the Pro-Bowl and be asked back to boot.

21. By Robin S. on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

You are right, the NFL wanted the Saints to win the Super Bowl. That is why the refs let Brett get clobbered over and over and didn’t throw flags when they should have. Now that the Saints have won, maybe the refs will call things the way it should be and The Vikings can win the Super Bowl this year. We definitely need Brett as it was obvious that he was the magic that we were missing. We were the best team with Brett. He makes everyone better. It was so obvious how much fun they were all having winning all of those games. After playing together for a year, I would love to see what they can do this year. Win a Super Bowl. They will be even better together this year. Brett can’t walk away when he has such a great team that loves him. All of us fans love him too. He makes us happy!!! Plus, he is playing at his best! Love to all of the Vikings! Come back Brett!!!

22. By Bill on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Dennis’ comments on the offensive line. The tailing off of the running game’s production is, I think, due to the presence of two new players – Sullivan and Loadholt. However, an additional year for them will probably pay dividends. I would like to see an additional big guard on the right side. An additional area of improvement should be in two areas of coaching: play calling and game time decision making. I think a basic way to protect Favre is to pass when they think we are going to run and run when they think we are going to pass. This seems a simple thing, but I don’t think we do enough of it. The fiasco of the extra man in the huddle ponts to a degree of mismanagement on the sideline during game-changing momemts – almost a sense of panic. There needs to be a calming influence on the sidelines during these situations. there also needs to be a strategy in place that reviews plays more quickly regarding challenges – there were two missed in New Orleans (I think).
    The third are I would like to see improved is takeaways. New Orleans concentrates on this and it bears fruit. I think the Vikes should do more of this.
    Having said all this, I really, really enjoyed the 2009 season. The Vikings showed a lot of heart and a lot of just enjoying the game. I think Favre had a lot to do with that. I also give a lot of credit to the Wilfs in building a team that has the potential to be one of the elite teams of the future.
    GO GO GO VIKES!!

23. By Derek on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Awesome season. Hands down. Almost as fun to watch as the 98 season. We need to draft a QB regardless of Favre on the team or not. For those who think Sage and T-Jack can do it for us is just silly. No way..They both have enough years under their belts to have proven something, yet have done nothing of the sort. They will never be a first string quarterback. We also need to draft a Safety, right guard and defensive tackle. Big Pat is getting old… Or we could go after the DT of New England who wants more money..The guy is their Defensive MVP for last three years…Monster?

24. By wezo on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Vikes played good this year & no ? favre was the reason, but this lame duck coach will cost the Vikes another meaningful game. Hats off to the Saints they took it from the Vikes, if u watch football then you’ll see that, this was a typical Saints game.The only thing missing was a kick or punt return for a TD.
    Peterson’s fumbles we’re because the Saints tackled the football not him. If u try an tackle him most likely you’re gonna get trucked Ah La Gay from the pittsburgh game.12 men in the huddle set favre up too throw the costly pick,which is a coaching error that I don’t think childress will own up to.Coaching stops this team from winning the SB!

25. By Mike J on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Listen to yourselves the refs gave the Saints the game. I embarassed to have you as Vikings fans. Get over it already the Saints did what they had to do to win the game. For some reason we feel like Brett deserves special treatment. What I saw was a bad interference call which was the biggest penalty and the play where Brett got hit low should have been called. In every game there are calls that are going to be missed. But to say the game was rigged just makes you sound like crybaby fans that are conspiracy theorists. Frankly it makes me sick. Stop the whining. If we didn’t turn the ball over 35 times we would have won. By the way the saints were penalized more penalty yardage throughout the game. The name of the game on defense is hit the QB as hard as you can. Just because it was Brett some of you think that should not apply. If JA would of hit Brees you would have been thrilled. Speaking of nobody laid a hand on Brees that whole game. So stop complaining that the game was rigged. If you remember correctly all the talk the week before the game was Brett this Brett that not about New Orleans. The New Orleans talk started after the game. The real problem is Brett is known for making mistakes at crucial times and he did it again. He is a good QB but his propensity for making horrible plays at crucial times will be his legacy. IMHO he is the most over-rated QB ever.

26. By kyweaver on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

exactly mike j, the refs didn’t give them the game, it wasn’t the refs who dropped the ball for peterson or who forced favre to throw an interception

27. By GW on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

Mike J…Quit pretending to be a Vikings fan read carefuly. 1)If the Brady Rule was called on MaCrae it would have given the Vikings a first downn on the Saints 21 in regulation and Favre would have never had to throw the ball on a severly sprained ankle caused by a couple of thugs. 21 yards is a chip shot for Longwell. Btw, MaCrae was fined 20K by the NFL for that cheap shot.
    2)If the pass interference was not called on that 3rd down the Saints would have had to punt and would not have had the field goal attempt. Incidently, go back and review the game highlights and you will see that there was not any contact on that play. If there was it was incidental and it was uncatchable anyway.
    3)I would not say there was a conspiracy, but to allow a QB to be punished like that is unacceptable. A few weeks earlier they called a roughing call for just touching Brady helmut.
    The Saints / Katrina story makes alot of people feel warm and fuzzy. Good for them. The Saints victory though will always be tainted by those in the know. They were outplyed in every faucet of the game by the Vikings. Brees and the Saints played a great game against the Colts and they deserved to win that one. They just did not deserve to be there in the first place. The off season and next year should be interesting and if Favre comes back God bless the Saints. Favre and the Vikings will be on a mission next year to get back what was stolen by them this year by the poor officating in the Superdome. Without the fumbles the Saints would have been blown out.

28. By TW VIKE on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

12-4,33TDs,only 7 INTs,4200 YDs passing,almost 69% on completions, his highest QB rating, & the NFC Championship game. I dont think #4 is over-rated. Without him, we dont even make the playoffs. He made the Vikings a better team, Superbowl contenders. As far as the refs, they missed 2 crucial calls. The high-low on Favre & the phantom pass interference call. We should have been up by 2 or 3 TDs by then anyways. Favre kept us in the game til the bitter end. Get Favre back, open some holes for AP, & get some secondary help, too many dropped INTs this year. If Big Pat retires we will need to fill that big void. Need to get a young QB for the future, I dont know who but we need to start looking !

29. By Jeremy on Feb 15, 2010 | Reply

I believe the game’s outcome was fixed using electronic harassment. The players seemed like they weren’t themselves. The electronic harassment is invisible, exactly how it works is only known to a handful of agencies, and those agencies have an interest in fixing games to fund clandestine operations off the books (using sports gambling).

I would love to talk to the guys on the losing team and find out what they were experiencing and feeling in the hours before the game, and during the game.