Harvin Named 2009 Pepsi NFL Rookie Of The Year

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 4, 2010 – 1:03 pm

Vikings WR/KR Percy Harvin added the 2009 Pepsi Rookie of the Year Award to an accolade-filled rookie resume on Thursday. Harvin was selected by fans – who decide the award with online voting – out of a talented group of finalists that included Bills S Jairus Byrd, Texans LB Brian Cushing, Packers LB Clay Matthews and Ravens T Michael Oher.

“This is a tremendous honor and I want to thank all the Vikings fans and NFL fans who took the time to vote,” Harvin said. “This really does mean a lot and I appreciate the support. I also have to thank my teammates and coaches who helped me out so much this season and put me in positions to succeed.”

Harvin was also named the Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year, Pro Football Weekly Offensive Rookie of the Year and was selected to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner, though he did not participate.

Dubbed “the little phenom” by teammate Adrian Peterson, Harvin joins Peterson (2007) as the only other Viking to be the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year and is the first WR to garner the honor in its 8-year history. He was nominated as the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week 7 times throughout the season, winning twice after outstanding performances against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers in Weeks 8 and 9.

Harvin, the Vikings 1st round pick (22nd overall) in last year’s NFL draft, quickly transitioned into an explosive and productive NFL player after a prolific career at the University of Florida that included a pair of BCS National Championship victories. His versatility and toughness made him one of the Vikings most dangerous weapons, both on offense and on special teams.

In 15 regular season games, Harvin set a Vikings record with 2,081 all-purpose yards, a total that ranked him 2nd in the NFC. He had 60 receptions – tied for the lead among rookies – for 790 yards and 6 TDs and 135 rushing yards on 15 attempts, setting a franchise record for rushing yards by a WR and also leading all rookie non-kickers in scoring and registering 24 receptions on 3rd down. Harvin became the 2nd Vikings player (Peterson) in the past 3 seasons to be named AP Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Harvin also recorded 2 kickoff returns for a TD, including a 101-yarder, and ranked 4th in the NFL with a 27.5-yard kickoff return average (42 returns for 1,156 yards) despite teams consistently kicking away from him during the 2nd half of the season.

Tags: ,

45 Responses to “Harvin Named 2009 Pepsi NFL Rookie Of The Year”

1. By Neal Alan Frank on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy! You deserve it! You rock!!

2. By Angie Welch on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

WTG Percy your awesome!!!

3. By corwin on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Percy !
    He is just getting started !

4. By Shirley on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy you are a awesome player can’t wait to see you in the Future

5. By Dorothy Farrell on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Percy!!!!! You definitley deserve this honor.

6. By Jan on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Percy – a well deserved honor! Love watching you make BIG plays!!! A fan…:-)

7. By By 24 on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Good job Percy, you deserve it! i love watching you make big plays. You earned the rookie of the year for sure.

8. By VikeOfsthun on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Percy you deserve it. It was a very enjoyable year watching you sprint down the field and catching the pass. As Cris Carter is one of my favorite players at catching the ball, I see you in the future catching those sideline first downs to move the Vikings to big wins in the future. As well as the bomb ending up in the end zone.

9. By Kris R. on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Percy!

So glad you beat out Gay Matthews and his “Breck Girl” hair!

10. By SKOLT on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

SKOL PERCY !!!! Once again a Viking Reigns as the NFL’s Best Rookie!

11. By TW Vike on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Percy the skies the limit! Cant wait to see you & Brett hook up next year!

12. By TOM S. on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

CONGRATS
    PERCY .
    GREAT SEASON
    SEEMS LIKE THE DRAFT PARTY WAS YESTERDAY ..
    .YOU REALLY SHOWED EVERYONE ELSE WHAT THEY MISSED OUT ON IN THE DRAFT…..KEEP IT GOING !!

TOM S.

13. By sam on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

hey Percy tell Brett to stay for one more year!

14. By Robin S. on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy! We love you! We live in Florida and watched Percy as a Florida Gator and he has always been magnificent, but Brett brought out the best in him. Percy we were so happy when The Vikings picked you and then when Brett went to The Vikings it was a dream come true! Brett has always been our favorite football player and to see you two together was so much fun! Please tell Brett to please come back and have some more fun! It was a great season and the second season will be even greater! Win the Super Bowl. Love you Percy, Brett and all of the Vikings! Thanks for a fun year!

15. By PAVikesFan on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Percy definitely is a dynamic athlete. He makes nightmares for D-Coordinators gameplans’. We gotta find a way to utilize him some more these next few years. He is our best athlete, so the more he’s in the game, the better. I just hope that when #4 is done for good that his production wont fall, but most likely it will. We have all these weapons on offense, if we dont end up winning the BIG one with all of them, then this will be the most disappointing thing for sure. Now’s the time, we have to make it happen soon………………….

16. By Paul M on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy! ! ! We welcomed you into the wonderful world of the purple & gold and you welcomed us on a THRILL RIDE – compliments of your great talents ! Thank you for bringing such a dynamic & explosive game to our team ! We know you played while you were hurting & have lots of heart. Our prayers are with you Percy.

I’m from New Jersey & have never seen the Vikings play live, but maybe I’ll be able to see you against the Jets next season.

Thank you for giving us fans everything you had on every play!

17. By PJ on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy !!! Please make the most of the off season by going to a training camp like your team mate Sidney. Also go online to Migraine Headaches. Try the NEW MAGNESIUM SPRAY. It really works!!!

18. By m brown on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey percy way to go I know u were on the one have watched u play sence the days at landstown high u have always played great keep up the greatness

19. By hhhhhh on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

ur the best

20. By Grace Peterson on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

I just want to say that I’m soooooo happy that Percy became the rookie of the year! Way to go Percy! Way to go!

21. By m. andre on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Finally, I voted for someone I can believe in! Many Congrats to #12!

22. By Pery Harvin on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Percy!

23. By Joe B on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

alright percy … happy my votes counted happy for you, good luck in 2010

24. By kjfhjfiuufudfudf on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

great job florida gator!!!!

25. By Bigfan1 on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy, you are a firecracker on the field–no fear. The Vikings are fortunate.

26. By TW Vike on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

#4,#12,#18,#28,#29,#81&#87,see you in SUPERBOWL XLV ! GO VIKINGS !

27. By Orkney Skullsplitter on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

HaH! WE beat feet-of-clay matthews. HAHAHAH.

28. By Grif75 on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Much deserved! Good job PH!

29. By paul on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Great award, for a great player, who along with 9 other pro-bowl players lost AGAIN.

GO SAINTS

Did anybody contact Jesse THE BODY Ventura on a possible conspiracy against the Vikings?

30. By GatorBoy on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy Harvin!!!!!!! I live in FL and I am a BIG Gators fan. I am so glad that you got the rookie of the year award!!!!!! When the Vikings drafted you I became a fan. I hope that you have an awesome season next year!!! Keep up the good work!!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By Lance on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Percy you can do it all man!!!! Wow what an incredible first year in the NFL for you!! I wish you good luck in the future too!!! Congratulations and well deserved

32. By BK on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Percy,

You’re the MAN for sure! I’ve watched you in college and had you on my draft board as someone that I wanted all others to pass up so you would become a Viking. I’m so glad they did. I suppose that’s the selfish part of me!

Great season. Job well done. Look forward to seeing you next season leading us to the Super Bowl!!

SgtMaj J

33. By K.Adam on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

I knew you wold do it Percy. You and Brett make the best team I have ever seen. I love you.

34. By By By By on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

GOOD JOB PERCY!!!!!!!
    You beat matthews.
    your the best there is.

35. By TW Vike on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

paul- Go get your brown bag & hanky ready because after today your going to need it. Colts44-aints17.

36. By jborkk88 on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

too right there tw vike

37. By TW Vike on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

Looks like I have to eat sh*t. Congrads to the Saints.

38. By Justin on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Way to go percy. You were so amazing this year and deserve it more than any one else. You and the iron man are gonna bring it home next year to sota and rep us well. You are also gonna rock clay matthews and the packers again next year. Thank you for everything.

39. By Zach on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

You definitley deserve this and are an amazing player!!!! Hats off to my personal favortite player in the NFL. The Perc is BEAST!!!!!!!!! Congrads to Harvin!!!!

40. By David on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Atta boy percy. My only fear is that if we don’t have a good QB situation, than Percy may peak early and decline quickly. But for now GO PERCY AND GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!

41. By Ty on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Congrats. I have to honestly say that 3 of our top Rookies of all time came at the expense of another team(s) passing on them for whatever reason. 1998 (Rany Moss) AD and now Percy Harvin…I just hope that someone else is passed over that turns out to be a big contributor next year

42. By h megrath on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Congadulations percy very well deserved honor,the sky is the limit with you kid! you are a very rare talent that just keeps getting better.keep up the good work.

NO MERCY FROM PERCY!!!

43. By Zach on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Duuuuuuuude the Perc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By GJ on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

757(Virginia Rules!) Best is yet to come. Standby.

2. Feb 4, 2010: Vikings WR Percy Harvin Named Pepsi Rookie of the Year « Sports Hop