Peterson, 4 Other Vikings Preparing For Pro Bowl

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 29, 2010 – 11:04 am

For those of you who have sufficiently recovered from last Sunday’s disheartening NFC Championship Game loss or for those of you who just can’t get enough football, this Sunday presents yet another chance to watch some of your favorite Vikings perform on the field.

The Pro Bowl will be played this Sunday in South Florida – site of Super Bowl XLIV – and will feature 5 Vikings. The Vikings had 10 players named to the NFC’s roster, but only 5 of them will appear in the game. The 5 players are DE Jared Allen, special teams ace Heath Farwell, G Steve Hutchinson, T Bryant McKinnie and RB Adrian Peterson.

Because my goal is to objectively cover the Vikings on a year-round basis to give fans an inside look at their favorite team, I stay away from picking favorites or displaying any personal sentiments. But I can’t hide the fact that I’m excited to watch Peterson play on Sunday.

This will be Peterson’s 3rd Pro Bowl appearance in as many seasons, and when you consider the success he’s had in his first 2 all-star games, you’ll see why I’m excited to see him play in his 3rd game. As a rookie in the 2008 Pro Bowl (after the 2007 season), Peterson destroyed the AFC defense to the tune of 129 yards and 2 TDs on 16 carries. The NFC won the game 42-30 and Peterson was named the game’s MVP. Last year, Peterson carried the ball 8 times and gained 48 yards while finding the endzone once.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Peterson have another monster game on Sunday. He runs with more intensity than any other RB in the league and I think he’ll have that intensity ratcheted up on Sunday.

Tags: , , ,

39 Responses to “Peterson, 4 Other Vikings Preparing For Pro Bowl”

1. By VikeOfsthun on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Go Vikings 5 and show the complete league the domination of the Norwegian Viking Purple Power Line. Good luck Adrian, Bryant, Heath, Jared and Steve. Have fun with it and enjoy. GO VIKINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Hornedhelm on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I think Farve will be back. I think he should train with Lance Armstrong this summer for conditioning, get his legs under him early.

3. By Hornedhelm on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

If we could afford Peppers grab him in the off season.

4. By Hornedhelm on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

We need ahuge right Guard to bolster the middle. Sully and Herrah got beat to many times this year.

5. By Hornedhelm on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike Wobschall

Can you try to get this site to have an open blog/forum? Viking fans need a place to come and chat on the Vikings site, not just leave posts.

6. By Stephen Wenthold on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I have been a vikings fan since day one 1961. This was the most exciting season right up there with 1998. Favre will be abck and we will go all the way next year. Thanks to all of the palyers and coaches for all of their hard work. Win or loose the Vikes are the gratest team and they have the greaest fans. Build them a staduium. I live in Maryland now and I would be happy to contrubute to build a new stadium. It would be disgrace if the VIkes left for another city. GO VIKES.

7. By fmfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

All the Favre fans better watch the probowl because it might be the last time you see Favre at a football game.

8. By Donnie on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

What happen to the other 5?

9. By meswant on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I will watch the probowl for sure!! I will admit that I am a new vikings fan, I have cheered for the team Brett Favre has played for & I have to admit that I like what I see for the vikings. It will be a sad day if Brett retires, but I think I will be cheering for the vikings for years to come. I only wish it was easier to buy vikings stuff, here in Canada I could not get Brett’s jersey, I got it off e-bay.
    I can’t wait for the new season!!!! Go VIKINGS!!!

10. By paul on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Mike Wobschall, Defense doesn’t get played in this game.

MVP= Aaron Rodgers

11. By Bigfan1 on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

JA and AP are fun to listen to, nice to hear Michael Irving say AP is the best running back in the league.

12. By Bruce on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone see Jared in that interview when he was asked about Brett coming back. You can tell he really likes Brett and wants him back. Jared is a fun loving guy like Brett and he always cracks me up. It was great chemistry in that locker room with Brett this past year and you know there is a lot of players who want Brett back. And this team was so good this year and if not for those turnovers and bad play calling (referee wise) they would be in the Superbowl right now. But playing together another year would make this team even better and they would definetly be in the NFC Chamoionship game again with totally different outcome!

13. By WA diehard viking fan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

What a year for all Viking Fans! I’ve been watching the Vikings play for 45 years and have seen some exciting games but never a whole great season as this one. It was the effort of the whole Viking team playing as one. Yes’ Brett Farve was a wonderful addition to the Vikings, yet I was very impressed how he never took the glory for the touchdowns, but instead would go and congratulate the receiver or player who did. What a class act he is! I could see as the season progressed how he brought the best out of the other players. It seemed like the whole team played with more confidence. I can only hope he will come back next year, so the whole team can complete what I had hoped for this year, a winning superbowl.
    I do however have a problem with the referee’s of the games. They must be wearing blinders over their eyes. I wonder how many greenbacks are falling out of their overstuffed pockets for wearing those blinders. I don’t understand how they can sleep at night.
    Something else that makes me sad yet glad, is how the Greenbay Packer orginazion allows Brett to retire, but gives him the stipulation that if he does come out of retirement (because he loves to play the game) he couldn’t play for their archrivals the Vikings. The wonderful thing that happened is he did come out of retirement, spent 1 year with the Jets and then came to the Vikings. He saw the greatness of the Vikings and wanted to join them and help them become greater.
    It tickled me pink when the Vikings gave the Greenbay Packers a couple of lessons this year. 1st, they shouldn’t ever given up Brett Farve and 2nd was when the Vikings beat them twice this year. I wonder if the Packer fans have put away their crying towels this year yet?
    Thank you Viking team for giving us your loyal fans a memorable season.
    REMEMBER: THERE ARE VIKINGS AND THEN THERE ARE THE REST OF THEM!

14. By Robin S. on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I was a Packer fan all of my life until they showed they didn’t have any class. I have been a Brett Favre fan for 19 years and he has now introduced all of us to the Vikings and we will be Viking fans forever. Brett has so much talent and greatness and it was so wonderfull to see how the whole team fed off of him. We love all of you guys. You had so much fun playing together and I can’t see Brett walking away from that. He has to come back for one more year and go to the Super Bowl with his team. He is their leader. I switched from green to purple and I love it. Brett looks great in purple too. Thank you to the whole Viking organization and coach Childress for having the insight to bring such a great athlete to your team. This was my favorite year of football. Your whole team has shown what class is. Brett showed so much strength and courage on the field as he was getting unfairly hit continuously. Thank you all for a wonderful year and I hope to see you all back next year. Please get Brett some protection so he will be able to do what he does best and win. Teach Adrian to hold the ball. We will then go to the Super Bowl as long as we have refs that can see. Next year it will be in Minnasota. Go Colts since I sure don’t want the dirty Saints winning They don’t deserve to be there. Thank you Brett and his Viking team for a fun, fabulous year.

15. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Favre isn’t doing the ProBowl ! And he isn’t doing next season either!
    Give me a T……….
    Give me a J……….
    Give me a A……..
    Give me a C………
    Give me a K………
    What does it spell?
    T-Jack!!!!!
    What does it spell?
    T-Jack!!!!!

16. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Better start getting behind him now!!!!!!!!!!!Because that is our man!

17. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

If you have watched any of the interviews since last Sunday, you already can hear it from the other players….they already know he is not coming back, they have either already been told so by Brett or by his actions the last few weeks of the season! Come on now people………….let it start sinking in now, so you don’t jump off a bridge in Aug.!

18. By m. andre on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I hope Jared Allen and the rest of the Viking Pro Bowlers have a Monster game! Congrats to all who were names, double-congrats to all who are playing!!

19. By crusher on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

McKinne showed his class by not showing up and getting kicked off the team. May be a form of justice as he did not show up the last half of the season. Now is the time to trade him, maybe for a d back. How much does the Vike org. have to take from this clown?

20. By CoryJames on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Favre has been elected to the pro-bowl something like 10 times but he has never played in the probowl fyi. And Tavaris Jackson will get cut this season or better be to get that 35 mil we are spending on his sorry ass. I believe we will get the QB from cincinatti, Zigi Wolf needs to spend money on a right tackle and even maybe a center, john sullivan was just mediocre. Need to get a good line to help protect favre and maybe he will stay 1 or 2 more years :q

21. By TW Vike on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

How do you spell OLD SCHOOL? J-A-C-K-A-S-S !

22. By paul on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Mckinnie found another love boat at South Beach.

w a die hard viking fan= G.B. has moved on, the game is over, your team lost, again, move on the 2009 season is over.
    Better luck for the Vikes in the next 50 years.

23. By Stephanie on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

old school is not a Vikings fan

24. By Robin S. on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

One more year Brett! Please! What great chemistry you have with your new team. You gave us an amazing year! All of you were having so much fun! They are learning from you to enjoy the moment, the game. Besides, you look great in purple!!!! Love to you and your wonderful family. You definitely deserve a break form it all but when you are rested, please return to the game you play better then anyone. Vikings to the Super Bowl next year! Thanks for a great year, fun year! What a great bunch of guys you all are!

25. By Alex M on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

HORNEDHELM i couldnt agree with you more. my suggestion for a huge offensive guard would be Mike Iupati from Iowa. The guy is a monster and to me could start for any team in the NFL. for this years draft we should pick him up as early as possible before he is gone. If we do Favre is protected and Peterson will have gaping holes for him to power through. And to brett, if you are reading this comment I would tell Brad Chilldress that you are coming back next season behind everybodies back so that we can make strategic decisions during this offseason. but other than that I want to really thank you for bringing such exitement to the vikings organization. Even though I live in California I really have created a very strong relationship with the Vikings for a few years now and have realized that they are such a great team with great personalities which unite us as a team. And that attitude has taught me alot about being a football player. So thankyou for everything vikings. I really hope to join this organization some day, or even being a viking when I get older. GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! V-I-K-I-N-G-S-!-!-!-!-!-! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO…..AND NEXT YEAR THATLOMBARDI TROPHY WILL BE OURS, IN OUR HANDS WITH PURPLE AND GOLD CONFETTI FLYING EVERYWHERE. WOOOOOOO!!

26. By Alex M on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

oh and mike iupati actually plays for idaho…

27. By Douglas Que on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I have a question for all you Favre haters. The man has won so many games, he still has a great touchdown/interception ratio, he never had a losing season. He brought two teams to the NFC Conf. Championship and all you can talk about is him throwing interceptions in playoff games? He went to 2 superbowls and he could have won back to back but the GB defense could not stop the running game and they lost to Jon Elway and Denver which I believe shouldn’t have won that game. He would’ve retired without a ring just like Marino. But. . . . .I seen Peyton Manning throw 2 INT against Baltimore and I also seen Tom Brady throw 3 INT against Baltimore in the playoffs this year and the media or fans didn’t say anything! They just said Brady is having a bad day but he will come back next year and win it. For real football fans you know what I’m talking about. I know this post is a bit long but it’s real and Brady isn’t that great to me. He invested a great team with a great defense and there were a lot of games in the playoff where the Patriots should have lost but of course REFS are gonna let it slide (if you remember the Oakland game in the AFC CONF and the Superbowl against Carolina) Brady would have probably one had 1 ring the most right now. But we see the player he is now that he doesn’t have that all star team.

28. By Douglas Que on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre has something that I haven’t seen in any other QB or player of any position and that’s HEART. That’s what makes him great to me. that’s what makes him a legend and that’s what makes him my favourite QB. You can argue and say he’s not the greatest and I wouldn’t argue because I would say Montana is the greatest but there will never be another Favre. He makes the game exciting and no QB is capable of doing that. Look at the ratings his games get. He breaks records off the field. Manning is a great QB but he is so boring to watch. He doesn’t congratulate his teammates after a good play. He just looks like a robot on the field. And aside from football Favre is a great person and a true warrior. In college he got into a car accident and the doctors had to remove 18 inches of intestines. He recovered came back on the field and won the game for his College football team. We watched him and his wife battle with cancer. We seen how he performed the day his dad died. The consecutive starts after so many injuries. The hate and criticism he gets on a daily basis especially after he left Green Bay. The organziation didn’t even want him any more and I understand the move because Rodgers is a good QB but to bribe him to stay retire and then refrain him from joining the Vikings last year which he wanted all along. that is the only reason he was playing for the Jets. Then most recently being knocked down 17 times in a NFC Conference game and the hits that the defense was laying on him were not all clean and some may have been driven with more force to knock him out the game like Kurt Warner but somehow he comes back drives his team all up and down the field just to see them make mistakes after mistake but you could obviously see he was fighting. This is why people love the man and he’s the greatest to them. To those who follow Rap music it’s like when people say 2pac was the greatest rapper. Everyone knows Tupac wasn’t the greatest rapper lyrically, but he represented something so much more than rap, he was a warrior, he made you feel his pain, his lyrics were meaningful. Same thing with Brett, he may not go down as the greatest QB considering now a QB is validated with the number of rings he has but Favre will always represent something so much more than football.

29. By Tro on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Paul, just because your a hateing fudge packer fan and you were one and done dont hate the Vikes

30. By Favre Fan 4ever on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I thoroughly agree with Douglas Que. My heart breaks for Brett right now because he wanted it so bad. I think he should come back for just one more year, but the chances of that are pretty slim. He got his shoulder in shape and now he needs to get his legs in shape so he can play one more year and win the big one because you know once he retires he will just fade into the sunset never to be heard from until he is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

31. By Homer AK> on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Having a hard time getting over a heartbreaking loss to the saints. I have been a lifelong vikes fan and this season only made my love for the vikings stronger. Bret favre made an allready classy team even better( please come back). Pretty dissapoined with the dirty and classless hits that were put on favre in the nfc championship game by the saints. Good luck in the offseason, get healthy and we’ll look forward to watching the superbowl run next year.

32. By TW Vike on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Silver fox, comeback & give some more fanny spankin to your team mates and the rest of the NFL!

33. By fmfan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

TW why don’t you go down to Miss. and have Brett spank your fanny. It sounds like it will be the highlight of your life.

34. By Robin S. on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Brett showed us what he could do in one year with his new team. I would love to see what they could accomplish in two years. They will only get better as he and his receivers get better together. One more year please! Win the Super Bowl. The team had too much fun and success to stop now. We love watching you play. You and your Vikings are thrilling to watch and made this the greatest year ever to be a football fan. Thanks for a spectacular year! You gave us so many thrills! Next year without you would be so boring. Finish what the team started. Win the Super Bowl. Thanks to all of you for giving us the greatest entertainment ever. Coach Childress, thanks for bringing Brett to Minnasota. You are a team and organization with class. It is great to see.

35. By hippster on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

OUR PRO BOWLERS in PURPLE and GOLD should have boycotted the pro bowl,why put their health at risk for a league that puts its integrity aside at a whim for max profits.the NFL boycotted the NFC championship game when they let that bunch of handout refs hand new orleans a cheap desperate win over MINN.just another display of liberalism in America something for nothing .Way to go handout nation, who DAT who DAT fell sorry for the handout nation get a job and move out of the swamp COLTS 37 HANDOUTS ma be 14

36. By Hornedhelm on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Mckinnie will NEVER be asked to the probowl again. I don’t think he cares…and that is the problem.

37. By zazzle on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

McKinnie….typical Viking

38. By zazzle on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

The saints were handed the championship by liberal refs?….if the viking were so good the score would have been more in their favor.
    They won’t be any better next year.
    Had peterson not fumbled so much…and had Favre not been so much of a gunslinger throwing an interception…maybe they would have won.

After all this is the same team that “let” the Bears trounce them.

The Vikings have a good team…just not one of super bowl caliber….
    The really great teams have multiple super bowls.

39. By hippster on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

hey razzel if the refs would have called the game the way most of america saw the game it would have been a blow out in MINN favor . as far as the bears game goes the vikings shut down those clowns in the second half and oh didnt bear that caused the peterson fumble in OT pull peterson down by his face mask mmmmmm another blown call The refs did the hand out nation a disservice by letting them think they were the prepared to play the machine that is peyton manning and the colts .they werent prepared for VIKINGS and the league will not let the aints take the cheap shots at manning like they did FARVE just for the simple fact that manning has more years of marketability than brett like i said before COLTS 37 HANDOUT NATION ma be 14 ps i heard barry obama was pulling for the aints sounds like the fix is already in