Monday Morning Mailbag Returns

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 29, 2010 – 1:03 pm

Last offseason we began posting a vikings.com Mailbag feature each Monday morning to give fans a chance to direct the content of this blog. It was sufficiently successful enough that we continued the mailbag feature during the season, except we moved it to Friday morning’s to give fans an ample amount of time to come up with questions regarding the Vikings upcoming game.

Now that we’re in the offseason and there are no games for which to prepare, we’re going to move the vikings.com Mailbag feature back to Monday mornings. So, beginning this Monday we’ll be posting questions and comments that fans have submitted to me over the past week.

To submit a comment or question, send an email to me at: wobschallm@vikings.nfl.net.

Remember that we can’t post all of the questions or comments, but I will respond to every email.

88 Responses to “Monday Morning Mailbag Returns”

1. By Wesley Savoy on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

This is an open letter to Brett Favre to help make him realize that retirement is not a good option!

Brett Favre, your the epitome of a person that strives to learn, moves forward and battles to conquer his demons as you grow through life’s learned lessons both on and off the field.

You may not realize it, but, you have un-intentionally given yourself a second life as a starting quarter back in the NFL that could have you playing another 2-4 years of not good, but
    GREAT football!!!

First you have a great coach and management team with the Vikings organization that not only appreciates your ability, (unlike what you were getting from the Packers organization in your final few years), but they understand how you think and what matters to you. You also have a GREAT bunch of young super talented guys around you, Your Team Mates which after the lose are as hunger for the Super Bowl Championship Ring as you are.

Brett, you said it yourself in an interview not to long ago that to win, “it’s the chemistry of the right players at the right time of the moment” which is very finite. Well, this is the moment, but unbeknownst to you Brett, this first year with the Vikings is just the start of what’s to come. Sometimes when things are happening in ones life that’s going great, (“better then one could hope for”) the euphoria one experiences can give them the sense of “this is it”, which can and does happen to most people who experience this and then they stop, and give up on the fact that maybe it’s only the beginning of something more, much more!

I know it’s easy to sit here and write what I think, but it’s not what I think, it’s what I know!

Brett, listening to you over the season on how you felt and how you were feeling from week to week not only mentally but physically, you did not feel your age! As you stated “I felt the best in years”, you felt reenergized, and it showed. You played like a 30 year old veteran in his prime, not some 40+ year old trying to recapture his by gone glory years. Brett you know more then anybody that you have more to give, you learnt more about the game and more about yourself this last season.

There is no doubt that during the NFC Championship game you felt your age (maybe a little older then your age), but anyone who took the pounding that you did Brett, would too. Just ask Kurt Warner and Tony Romo how old they felt in there loses?

But there is something more to why your not finished with the game that has given you so much, and what you Brett, have given so much to the game! And that’s something that only you know!

There is no doubt that you may want to retire. I know what it’s like to try and make a decision and not be 110% sure whether the decision is right until you’ve made it. Only once you’ve committed to a decision will you know if it is the right decision. Because what ever the decision it is that you make, when you make it, and only if it STICKS without any, and I mean ANY regret, only then will you know that you made the right decision.

Before you make that decision, DON”T short change yourself. This is a once in a life time opportunity that almost nobody gets in their life time, ever, and you have it right in your hands for the second time.

It’s better to try, and fail then to say NO! There is never regret in ones trying and failing, because you pushed on. But saying NO to not just any opportunity, but this opportunity that is here and now, and yours to make your own, that is a regret that time could never heal.

If your decision is retirement, I’m sure that I’m not the only one hoping for it not to stick! I’m sure everyone in Minnesota (including myself) will be hoping right up until the kick-off of the first regular season game that it doesn’t stick.

Hope to see you on the playing field.

From you biggest fan in Canada,
    Wes

2. By fmfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I hate when people cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste!!!!

3. By Wesley Savoy on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Here’s another cut and past!
    For anyone who would like to help let Brett know that he is appreciated and that we want him back for superbowl 45 here is a link to a facebook group that is growing fast, 49,000 in 3 days

If you want to see Brett in Purple next year? Let him know anyway you can.

4. By Steven Knutson & Family on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Monday Morning Mailbag Returns

This letter, is to say “Thank You!” To Bret Farve for giving some of us old dogs!( Who’ve cheered the Vikings For Going on 5-decads And 4-lost super Bowls!)
    Something to cheer for Again. It Was And Honer, Just Watching you play For Our Vikings This year!!
    I Dont know,What your plans are for next Season.I, being a die-hard Viking Fan of course want you to come back to The Vikings.I Also know,how much you did for our Team And All The Other Vikings you played with this year.You Made everyone you Played with BETTER!! It may be a bit Selfish, But I Would Love To see Your Last Pass As A Viking,To be The Winning Touchdowd In the Vikings First Super Bowl!and Ring #2 For You!!

5. By Mohave on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

NFL Head of Officiating Admits Game Changing Mistake (DIRTY SAINTS)

Mike Pereira, the NFL’s vice president of officiating, admitted on the NFL Network’s “Total Access” show this week that referee Pete Morelli’s crew should have called a 15-yard penalty against the New Orleans Saints in the third quarter of the NFC title game Sunday when Vikings quarterback Brett Favre absorbed a low hit from defensive end Bobby McCray.

Favre was hit low by McCray and high by nose tackle Remi Ayodele and injured his left ankle on the play. His pass was intercepted by linebacker Jonathan Vilma. New Orleans took over at its own 31 with the score 21-21 but did not score on the ensuing series.

A penalty would have nullified the interception and given the Vikings the ball at the Saints’ 19. Pereira called it “pretty much a direct shot into the back of (Favre’s) legs,” which isn’t legal because of rules about going after a quarterback’s knees.

On an extended version of the segment on NFL.com, Pereira also discussed wide receiver Devery Henderson’s third-down catch in overtime for the Saints that was upheld on review despite the fact the ball appeared to hit the ground (the question was whether he controlled the ball) and the fourth-down leap by New Orleans running back Pierre Thomas that was reviewed, with the first-down ruling being upheld.

The spot was important, but so was the subject of whether the ball came loose when linebacker Chad Greenway’s helmet hit it. If the ball was clearly knocked out on the first contact with the helmet, Pereira said the forward progress point would have been at the first point that Thomas regained possession.

Said Pereira: “It was kind of one of those, ‘Did he lose possession?’ It’s hard to say. ‘Was he short of the line to gain?’ Equally hard to say.”

One play Pereira did not discuss was the pass interference on Vikings linebacker Ben Leber that moved the ball to the Vikings 29 in overtime and got the Saints in position to kick the winning field goal. Leber was still upset about that call Monday in large part because the pass for tight end David Thomas did not appear to be catchable.

Asked about the penalty on Thursday, league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail that the league clearly supported the judgment call of the official. Wrote Aiello: “If the defender steps on the foot of a receiver while not playing the ball, the rule is that it is pass interference. Tangled feet with the defensive player not playing the ball is a foul by rule.”

Whether the ball is catchable is a judgment call.

6. By Shannon on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brett I sat and watched you play in Arizona in the upper deck telling my father that I can’t believe I’m watching Favre play for the Vikings. I was proud of you and my team. I hope you come back and not only honor your contract but go for the Superbowl.

7. By Stephanie on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre = Rocky Balboa…toughest guy to ever play the game

8. By Patrick on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Brett, you are the greatest quarterback not only becasue you hold all the records but because you have the biggest heart for the game. Come back for one more shot. For the Vikings. Please.

9. By Tom from NM on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Come back Brett. I was wrong about your signing last year and think there is some way you can come back in some way next year. Perhaps at least keep your options open if at some point during next season you could resign if there is a need at quarterback for a playoff run. At any rate I am grateful for the season you led us to.

10. By paul on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Mohave- let it go man, they lost..

Stephanie- Rocky Balboa is a movie character.

11. By Bigfan1 on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I grew up with Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings team that made it to four SBs, but never brought it home, what is going on with Tarkenton?? He should be shaking Brett Favre’s hand instead of lambasting him to the nth degree….I really don’t get it maybe he’s jealous that Favre has won the fans and the players and coaches in one season…I really don’t know. Is there anyone else out there who wonders what his problem is? It’s kind of annoying that he’s trying to spoil a good thing with his extreme opinions. We never created a scene, stomped up and down, conducted scathing press releases when Culpepper left the Vikings for another team. Why can’t he learn from his former coach Bud Grant who traveled to NO to root for the Vikings. Tarkenton said he wanted the Vikings to fail this year because Favre was QB…the scrambler is embarrassing himself and everyone who wants this team to win.

12. By scott on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

1 more year brett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. By Vikings Fan from Afar (West) on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Question: Will next year’s game with the Saints be circled in red on the calendar?

14. By Bigfan1 on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Just read on FOX Sports that one of the NO players that hit Favre got fined $20K for two illegal hits.

15. By Dennis on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

GREAT….are they going to give the vikes 30 yards in penalties to go along with it?

16. By Polskavike on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Farve hang it up so the vikings can move on and get a good QB Can’t win when your QB has 3 turnovers, especially at a key moment in the game.

17. By TW Vike on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Polskavike- 13 wins this season, thats pretty good ! NFC championship game ! Sage or T. Jack get us there, I dont think so. Brett didnt lose the game all by his lonesome. We were in it to the bitter end. What good Q.B. is out there? We lost,time to move on. If Brett wants to come back, let him.

18. By Robin S. on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Brett, you gave us the best year ever for football and we have been a fan of yours for 19 years. You are at your best now and have chemistry with a new team that is incredible. You showed your greatness by getting as far as you did with a new team. You make everyone better around you. Please give it one more year. The bad calls and the dirty hits stole the Super Bowl from you and your great team. Please come back and finish what you started and take your team to the Super Bowl. You made me and a lot of people I know fall in love with the Vikings. I have the deepest respect for you. You are the best that ever played the game. You are the leader of the best team. I lost all respect for the Packers two years ago and I now have lost all respect for the Saints. You have more class and courage then both of those teams put together. Everyone on the team is learning from you. Please don’t retire when you are so great. We love you!

19. By Donnie on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Madden 2010 is the only place the Vikes can win a super bowl.

20. By Beverly on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Never been a huge football fan. Until this year. Something about the whole Brett Favre story compelled me to watch the first game, then second, then I was hooked for the entire season, and now the next. I am not the only woman who became a new fanatical Vikings fan this year, because of Brett Favre. Every game was an event. The symbolism, the mythology of the skilled gladiator, the warrior, and still he is everyman. Brett made football into an art, into a story, and so much more than just a game. He speaks to people in a way words can’t explain. I know he’ll be back, he has to come back. His passion for the game is contagious.

21. By Jamie on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree, Donnie, Vikings are pitiful, sloppy sore losers. Go put the ball on the ground, LMAO, but no…that’s not the reason ya’ll lost, it’s the refs…LMAO….sore losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By m. andre on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Jamie, officiating is always going to drive fans crazy in big games. And for me the honorable thing to do is say you lost the game. period. Congrats to the Saints for pulling out the win and for their tough physical play. Here’s how I see it, You have to play the game as it is being officiated, now how you THINK it should be officiated. There is nothing pitiful about their offensive performance, but I will grant you “sloppy” would apply to how the ball was handled at key points throughout.

23. By Lawrence on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I must tell you its not remotely the case that Vikings fans are sore losers, its just a fact the Saints have transformed their squad into a hit after the ball is thrown or handed off and THAT IS AGAINST THE RULES Rules that were put in place to fairly govern the contest to determine who is the best in the NFC. The fact is the first interception should not have occured, because of the late flagrant foul on Mr Farve. The second interception was the product of a proven world champion quarterback trying to get his team in place to ensure the field goal to win the game. A Winner makes those calls and a loser doesnt even try.
    Facts are we would have definetely scored prior to the last few seconds of the game, if the referees would have called it as HONEST PEOPLESAW THE ENTIRE GAME TRANSPIRED. Now that is evident by what Mohave got from the NFL.
    I have Congratulations to the Entire true winners of the contest the MInnesota Vikings, twice over, first for The Domination of the Saints and for not allowing their comments to reflect what any HONEST HUMAN BEING COULD SEE WHICH WAS THE REFEREES WERE ABSOLUTELY TURNING A BLIND EYE TO NUMEROUS HITS ON Mr Farve after he let the ball go and calling penalties on Vikings that did not exist. In my entire life I have never seen such a Fiasco, not in forty years of watching football. Never, Never and I hope I never see such Unfairness again nor read such unfairness, it is truly astonishing, more than ever I really truly hope that Our Quarterback Brett Farve Comes back and hoists that football above his head, but you know a crooked eye will never see straight unless it wants to and I think certain folks are attacking Mr Farve because they are scared their green and yellow team or black and gold team or that they wont be considered the best vikings quarterback of all time, but you know what Mr Farve is thee BEST Minnesota quarterback, I guess it would just “Sting” and open up ole wounds on some if Brett came back and won a superbowl for Minnesota, so much so every hater is running all over here hoping he will quit, so their team has a chance in the North Division or to try to hold on too their going to the superbowl, it sure would hurt if In two years Brett Farve comes in in his 20-year and Wins the Whole playoff tournament and the Superbowl and You know in your heart you are SCARED, BECAUSE (YES, IM SMILING) BECAUSE it can be done, and every HONEST PERSON WHO KNOWS FOOTBALL AND HAS BEEN AROUND, CAN SEE IT. JUST LIKE MANY saw the Colts going, thats how clear it is for the Minnesota Vikings with the Same Effort with Brett Farve Under Center, hey, stop whining a fact is a fact, He could do it, you know it, stop playing. P.S. Colts should win, since the referees cant do this in the big game all day long as they did to the Vikings.

24. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Wake up Vike Fans….Brett is not coming back……..Can you say T-Jack! To think that Brett will have the kinda year he had last year is a long shot! We need to move on now…..Rice had a great year and he knows he can now…thanks to Brett! Butttttt, as a team, we need to sure up the secondary period! If we don’t get that under control, It won’t matter who is at the QB positon! If Pat retires…….we will have to plug that hole also! There are other things that we need to do in the off season……..than be on Brett watch…..If he had such a great time with the guys this year, then why not just come out and say, ” Hey, I’m gonna do one last year and one only”! That’s all he needed to say! Is 6 or 7 months gonna make a difference as far as age and how he feels?! NO! He will still be 40 when the season starts and will turn 41 in OCT.! Come on………….Should have just come out and said it….YES or NO! If were to come out and say it….the media wouldn’t be parked outside of his house all spring….he could get his mind right….in peace….and he wouldn’t have to deal with it during next season or after the last game he plays…….it would be MUCH easier! It’s common sense!

25. By Hothouse on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Oh what a year being a Vikings fan. It was exciting and draining. Have been there since the beginning and I would have to say this was the best. Thanks Brett for making it the most exciting year of all and sure hope you come back so these idiots have something to do and say during the football season. I learned a long time ago, that if you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. See all you true blooded Viking fans next year.

26. By joey on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Brett,
    You took a chance on playing again, you risked being hurt, you wanted to help a team that really did need You, I think you felt you had some things to prove to some people and realisticly to yourself. I look at you and I believe you did that. Were YOU happy Brett? Regardless of what is printed or made sport about, were YOU happy? I hope so. Your family loves you and truely do worry for you being hurt. I saw it in their faces. The Vikings are a fine football team and with you they were a very fine football team, but as best as they can be, and I am a longtime fan thru wins and loses, they cannot promise or garente your protection. I am Not asking you to quit or stay another season, and from all reports I have read neither are they. I think you are a good man, controversy aside and you deserve what you have. A family that loves you and while worried about you would support you in any decision you end up making. You have given us and the Vikings a very fine repectable season that they or us have seen in too many years. I am thankful for that and gratful for your participation in that brett. What I am awkwardly trying to say is: Whatever You decide to do, I will always, and I am sure as well as many, many others will as well, sincerely appreciate what you have done not only as a Viking but in your whole career as we know it. God bless You Sir and good health. Joey*

27. By joey on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I meant to it likem this= You have given us and the Vikings a very fine repectable season that they or us have Not seen in too many years. Again, Thank You Mr. Brett Farve, Joey*

28. By joey on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

meant to say it like this, I meant, (little emotional here)

29. By John B on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Hope very much to see Brett back in a Purple uniform again next season!!!

30. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Jan. 30, 2010………Old School says mark this date: I love Brett….but, he is not coming back! You guys are barking up the wrong tree! Won’t happen!

31. By PAVikesFan on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I dont have a question, I have a statement, and it’s a confident statement. If you all dont know by now, I have been on here saying that we a r a cursed franchise. I always knew it in the back of my mind, but I can no longer hide from it after our most recent torturous loss. OK, my brother (who is actually a Saints fan, I know, it’s unfair), told me there is an article on ESPN.com about the Vikings latest loss. In it, he describes the moods and the outlooks of Vikings fans, and he even gives people viewing the page insight from e-mails from real Vikings fans. It’s a really good article, all Vikings fans should read it. Then, he examines the way teams lose and how tortured they are. He makes a list of the top 15 most cursed franchisies in all of professional sports. Go back and read my blogs on here…I have said this before he wrote that article…”The only team in professional sports that can relate to us is the Chicago Cubs”, and “we are the Chicago Cubs of football”…..Well, to support my statement of fact, he ranks our Vikings #2, behind only the Chicago Cubs. So, now, Vikings fans across the world, it is time to accept the fact that we are, indeed, a cursed franchise. We can no longer argue it, it is who we are. So, to all the Football GO-DS, (probably a former Packer or Bear great), you can all go u know what to urselves, b/c no matter how many times we let our guards down and think that it is finally gonna happen, we all end up a tortured soul. America finally knows what it’s like for us, now, the only way we can reverse the curse is probably a furious comeback in the playoffs against a rival (like Boston did when they beat the Yanks, down 3 games to 0), then maybe I can have hope. Until then, I know the outcome of every season before it even starts….”How are we gonna lose our final game this year?………………………..

32. By PAVikesFan on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

‘OLD SCHOOL’…I believe #4 is coming back. Listen, this might sound bizarre, but, I think we all know to a certain extent that #4 has a pretty big EGO. Kurt Warner just announced his retirement, which means that if #4 rfetires then they both would be eligible for the HOF on the same year, with a very distinct possibility that Warner gets in on the first ballot, which of course would mean that #4 would have to share the spotlight with Warner. Does he really want to be compared to Warner, who is this great guy who does all these off-field things and is a man of G O D….I know it’s a bit far-fetched, but I think there is some truth in the matter. And, also, the guys on this team love him, and he as well really likes this team. It was different in GB towards the end, b/c they had a guy in-waiting in Rodgers ( a 1st round pick, btw), we have 2 guys who are career back-ups. Some wanted a new direction in GB, including some of their own, but here, we understand that it’s a privilige to have someone of his caliber on our team. I just think his wife and kids will want him to come back again. I could see if he had a bad year statistically, but the fact that he had one of his best years ever, how can u stop now?……..I wouldnt expect a decision, however, until somewhere in the Summer months….

33. By paul on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Any decision Favre makes before August 1st. is subject to change.

Favre loves the media attention and the fans all sucking up to him, plus the 13 millon$.
    After the OTAs and the first half of training camp are finish, he’ll most likey get the itch to play again.
    Just how many Viking Fans are willing to prostrate to this guy?

34. By VikingstienD on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Crazy as it seems many of the haters will be haters of Brett. Seems he is taking the blunt of criticism for others mistakes as well. Officials missed a lot of calls and that part is over…they deserve fines as well. But, why was Brett put in that position because someone or the coaches could not count to 11 sending out 12 instead after a time out? One more run without fumbling, that was all. Basic fundamentals lost at the three yard line before the half as Peterson forgot to open up and swallow the ball in his arms. Yep, lots of selfish individuals out there just wanting to hate a great warrior who loves the game. I was not sure of my feelings at first upon Bretts return but now I hope that he does one more time before riding into the sunset. Fix the gaps of linemen that can’t move anymore, shore up Peterson’s hands and grips, sprinkle and toughen the other side of the defensive line so chips to Allen cannot bring us down…and find some DB’s that can last a season. We will be back and New Orleans knows that they escaped and lost every aspects of the game except the scoreboard. I am sure that many of the old Packer fans and idiot couch experts know that Brett was not the “man”, but the intelligent ones do….GO VIKES…and pray that Brett comes back one more year.

35. By Douglas Que on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

All you guys blaming Favre are idiots. Before I begin I am not a Favre fan who thinks he can’t do no wrong, it was a bad throw I do agree

But All you see was an interception. Forget all of the fumbles and missed calls, are you forgetting that the game is tied? The FG is not guarenteed but I would have loved to see him try but the game is NOT over. The game went into over time. .I don’t see anyone blaming Steve Hutchinson for calling heads knowing that tails never fail. I don’t see anyone blaming the special teams unit for allowing the kickoff returner to return it so deep. He got it to the 40 yard line. I think our offense played well. meaning they scored when they needed to (minus the fumbles). Our defense forced some crucial 3 and outs but they could not capitalize on the “gimme” interceptions, particularly the one in over time. I think our Special Teams broke down in that game and I blame them for poor tackling and giving Saints such a short field to start from. Everyone just loves throwing dirt on Favre’s name. And for Favre running for a couple of yards: There’s no way he would’ve gotten 5 – 10 yards on a bad ankle. I watched the replay 100 times he had 3 defenders around him. One chasing him and the other 2 were in front of him. Anyone who played the game of football could see that Favre would have only gotten back to the line of scrimmage and he would’ve got beaten up even worse considering that was the Saints game plan all day. Their defense isn’t that great but they manage to stay in games because they can force turn overs.

I have a question for all you Favre haters. The man has won so many games, he still has a great touchdown/interception ratio, he never had a losing season. He brought two teams to the NFC Conf. Championship and all you can talk about is him throwing interceptions in playoff games? He went to 2 superbowls and he could have won back to back but the GB defense could not stop the running game and they lost to Jon Elway and Denver which I believe shouldn’t have won that game. He would’ve retired without a ring just like Marino. But. . . . .I seen Peyton Manning throw 2 INT against Baltimore and I also seen Tom Brady throw 3 INT against Baltimore in the playoffs this year and the media or fans didn’t say anything! They just said Brady is having a bad day but he will come back next year and win it. For real football fans you know what I’m talking about. I know this post is a bit long but it’s real and Brady isn’t that great to me. He invested a great team with a great defense and there were a lot of games in the playoff where the Patriots should have lost but of course REFS are gonna let it slide (if you remember the Oakland game in the AFC CONF and the Superbowl against Carolina) Brady would have probably one had 1 ring the most right now. But we see the player he is now that he doesn’t have that all star team.

36. By Douglas Que on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre has something that I haven’t seen in any other QB or player of any position and that’s HEART. That’s what makes him great to me. that’s what makes him a legend and that’s what makes him my favourite QB. You can argue and say he’s not the greatest and I wouldn’t argue because I would say Montana is the greatest but there will never be another Favre. He makes the game exciting and no QB is capable of doing that. Look at the ratings his games get. He breaks records off the field. Manning is a great QB but he is so boring to watch. He doesn’t congratulate his teammates after a good play. He just looks like a robot on the field. And aside from football Favre is a great person and a true warrior. In college he got into a car accident and the doctors had to remove 18 inches of intestines. He recovered came back on the field and won the game for his College football team. We watched him and his wife battle with cancer. We seen how he performed the day his dad died. The consecutive starts after so many injuries. The hate and criticism he gets on a daily basis especially after he left Green Bay. The organziation didn’t even want him any more and I understand the move because Rodgers is a good QB but to bribe him to stay retire and then refrain him from joining the Vikings last year which he wanted all along. that is the only reason he was playing for the Jets. Then most recently being knocked down 17 times in a NFC Conference game and the hits that the defense was laying on him were not all clean and some may have been driven with more force to knock him out the game like Kurt Warner but somehow he comes back drives his team all up and down the field just to see them make mistakes after mistake but you could obviously see he was fighting. This is why people love the man and he’s the greatest to them. To those who follow Rap music it’s like when people say 2pac was the greatest rapper. Everyone knows Tupac wasn’t the greatest rapper lyrically, but he represented something so much more than rap, he was a warrior, he made you feel his pain, his lyrics were meaningful. Same thing with Brett, he may not go down as the greatest QB considering now a QB is validated with the number of rings he has but Favre will always represent something so much more than football.

37. By danz on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

i’ve been watching the nfl for some forty years now,i can’t remember a qb
    getting hit so many times after a play was blown dead and not see flags or
    whistles.isn’t there any way a ref can be fined or suspended with repeated
    penalties going unchalenged?the only things the saints didn’t use against brett
    were guns,i never thought brett was coming back after being helped off the
    field.in our hearts we know our boys won that game!hope you return next year
    brett,cuz you made us click this year! and if you don’t,your the best qb that
    ever wore purple!

38. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

PA VikesFan, I really hope you are right, but, the one major thing that I will agree to disagree is this……His wife and kids, I believe, will be the major factor in him NOT coming back! I think that will be the main reason for it and he will make that very clear when he does his press conference to retire!!!!!!! If you watched the …and I know you did…..his wife was to the point that she couldn’t even watch it!!!! Brett will get this speach….I love You and your my husband, but your 40 and you’re already going to have lasting effects from your career down the road, and i’m the one that will have to take care of you when you can’t walk!!!!!! PAVikesFAN…..you can NOT forget this one thing….CAN NOT…..Brett was once hooked on Vikes….and I don’t mean the team….Pain Killers and BUDWeiser ! If you can remember….it landed him in rehab! He won’t be back!

39. By Viking reality check on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

The fact of the matter is; if Brett doesn’t come back it will take the Vikings 10 years before we reach another championship game. Under Brad Childress’s wussy command they viking will never reach the top without Favre. Yes if Chilldress didnt veto Bevell’s call then their would not have been 12 men in the huddle; just to show how our head coach has never won a game for us. If it hadnt been for the talented guys on the team then we would not have even made the playoffs.
    This is the only way we can win a superbowl in the near future. I’ll say it; Brett One More Year, Fire Mckenie, Improve our O line and Secondary these guys need to learn how to intercept, take away the coloring book from Childress and Let Bevell with Farve help call all the offensive plays. Otherwise all the fans can be sure to be miserable for another decade or so.

40. By HANK on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

leber never touched him i knew the nfl would come up with a fairy tale story also jared allen was tackled on the same play and no response to that

41. By HANK on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

oh! i apologise leber’s foot skimmed the saints foot even though at that point the ball was beyond the receiver and and he was already in the process of falling down a horrible call on both ends the pass interference and no holding call against the saints for tackling allan from behind those officials had an agenda for not throwing and throwing a flag

42. By HANK on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

the game was tied because of sloppy play, not lost until the officials had an agenda in ot

43. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Looks as if Mount Mckenie has started to circle the drain…..Brett got killed because of him……Carolina game…..got benched half way through! Time to start looking for a replacement…….he likes to party to much! He is to much into the music scene with his own label and everything……he is not 100% FOOTBALL, and you need that for a guy who has your QB back !

44. By PAVikesFan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

‘OLD SCHOOL’……You know, the more I think about it, the more I may have to agree with you on the wife part. I just read a Time magazine on how dangerous football is, and I quote ‘The Most Dangerous Game’…It goes on about former players speaking out agaianst head injuries and so on and so forth….The way #4 got pounded, I dont think it’s good for him to keep playing, he has to think about his long-term health. Just b/c football is over, doesnt mean life is over. In fact, I would advocate on his wife’s behalf in supporting him to retire. We cant be selfish as fans, the guy is a human being like all of us, and we should want what’s best for him, not what’s best for us. So, officially, I say to #4: “We enjoyed every minute of every game you played with us. But now it’s time to spend the remainder of your life with your wife and kids and forget about football. Your health is more important. You’ll be a hall of famer regardless of how you end your career”……

45. By TW Vike on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Which Vikings QBs have had a better season than Brett did? (Honest question)

46. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

None! He had a awesome year!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!! But just like PAVikesFan and I have agreed…….He is not coming back….so let’s start looking towards the future!

47. By TW Vike on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

OLD SCHOOL- Who is our future?

48. By TW Vike on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

PAVikesFan- Who is our future?

49. By Stephanie on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I am extremely torn about whether or not Brett should retire. I’m still hurting from that loss knowing that the fumbles were a key in losing and I’m still sick about that 12 men in the huddle penalty…and that dropped interception in OT. uhhh, I know I need to get over it, but after the beating Brett took I don’t know if Brett should come back. I think this might have been his shot. having said that, if he heals up and has time to think about it, maybe one more year (and only one more year) will be alright for him….but they would need to protect him better. I guess I’ll be ok with whatever decesion he makes. I can see it going both ways.

50. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

TWVike…….It’s got to be T-Jack! We have to look at who is available. These are the big three that are either available because they are free agents or with in the last year of their contract….they are Jason C. from the Redskins…he is still young, has had a different off. cord. every year he has been their…and would have to learn our system. 2) Hasselback from the Seahawks……..that woiuld be a BIG FAT NO! He has had injury problems….arm is not strong to get it out there to Rice or Harvin. 3) The guy I always refer to as Mchoke(Mcnabb), last year of contract with Philly, But has already made it clear that he doesn’t want to go anywhere. He also would cost us at least a first round pick…….NO WAY! I just hope T-Jack has learned under Brett…..what it takes to get it done!

51. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Got to remember, we were 10-6 with T-Jack in 08!!!!!!! He has the legs to extend the plays that Brett couldn’t and with our schedule next year……we will need mobility at the QB position! He has a REAL strong arm also….if not for Brett coming in last year…..He would have been the man! I don’t know what it is……BUT…..I have a real good feeling about him! I hope I am right!

52. By moorevikes on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

i was wondering that too tw. simple answer: if left up to chilly t jack, sage, or some other 35yr old or older qb that he can get for a year or two to prolong his coaching career here in mn. unfortunately we dont have the luxury of getting a number one pick caliber qb until we do bad enough to get a 1-5 pick in the draft. as much as i liked having favre i too believe he wont be back and we should have gone after cutler. the reason he didnt do well in chi was no run game and no receivers. something we have both of. he would have played for 10yrs with us and givin us the best chance in the long run. as much as i would hate to lose peterson (i bought his jersey his rookie year and love the way he runs) hate his fumbles though i think he is our ticket to a franchise qb.

53. By moorevikes on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

old school im with you as far as what we have to work with i liked t jack’s raw talent but, and whether it was coach or him their was a confidence problem i think it had more to do with chilly than himself. i really dont think we will win a championship under chilly i will give it to him as far as talent that he has brought here but his game management sucks. don’t really know a whole lot about sage other than he has been a career backup. where is john david booty?

54. By PAVikesFan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

There are lots of things that concern me with T-Jack….He does have the ability to escape pressure, ut you tell me how many running QB’s have ever won a Super Bowl?….The closest that comes to mind would be Steve Young, but he was a pocket pas-ser first. With T-Jack, he’s not really that good at reading defenses, you have to call more simplistic plays. He’s not going to go through his reads. It’s his primary reciever, if that’s not open, then he looks to check down to a back or run. At least with Sage, he’s a veteran QB, so he knows how to read defenses, albeit not great though. I dont know what we’re going to do, let them battle it out or maybe trade down in the draft to possibly draft Colt McCoy. I think he’s the real deal. And from what I’ve heard, his stock may have dropped after getting injured in the Championship game….Other than that, we have to focus primarily on defense via free agency and the draft.

55. By MNVikesFan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I just wanted to say that this year was one the best. It was great to see a winning team, and it was even more exciting to see the state of Minnesota get behind our Vikings. Brett Favre is a leader, and you can see the impact his presence made to the young guys on the team. If Favre is to return and play one more year, or not, I am certain on one thing, and that is that his impact on the team will be something not long forgotten.

56. By Dennis on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Question; What team beat the Vikings in the N.F.C. title game?
    Answer; The Minnesota Vikings

Seeing that the only people that actually stopped the Vikings in that game where members of their own team. Shouldn’t they be in the Superbowl?
    Payton must be licking his chops!!!!!

57. By TW Vike on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

If it is T. JACK then Chilly needs to let him be himself. Dont change him. Let him use his legs & throw. Dont try to make him into pure pocket passer. Let him use his instincts & his god given abilities.

58. By Robin S. on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

After seeing what Brett did in one year with his new team, I would love to see what they could accomplish the second year. I strongly believe they could do better and that is to get to the Super Bowl and win it. If the Saints had been penalized on the dirty hits and if the refs had gotten the calls right in overtime, we would have won. I do believe we are the best team and could have gone on to beat the Colts. I can’t see Brett leaving his team when they got so close. Plus you could see all of the fun they were having during the year. I think Brett should come back for one more year and get a Super Bowl win for him and his team and the fans of the Vikings. His team and all of the fans love him. I live in Florida and everyone I know loves Brett. Everyone I know, wanted Brett to go to the Super Bowl. He has introduced everyone to The Vikings. We all love the Vikings now. We never knew them before but we are all Brett Favre fans and will now forever be Vikings fans. He should stay one more year and let everyone learn from him so they can go on to more success after he leaves. He needs protection next year so he doesn’t get hurt. The Saints were out to kill him and he is so strong that he survived their brutal hits. He is an amazing athlete. He is the best I have ever seen. I know it is selfish but I don’t want him to quit yet. We all love watching him play. When he does end his career, football will not be as exciting. One more year please. You are playing at your best! I don’t want Brett hurt though so please get him protection and please teach Adrian how to hold on to the ball with two hands. He did it in the Pro Bowl game tonight. Also, teach our guys to intercept and knock the ball out of the opponents hands and we will win easily. Thanks for a great year! Love to all of you.

59. By Dave on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Brett earned all our respect this year, So Brett, come back for one more year and take us to Dallas, and retire with another ring on that hand. and thank you guys for a great year…

60. By coolbrees09 on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

to all vike fans; you lost. get over it. if the refs decided the game you deserved to lose anyway. it was all the turnovers that cost yall the game. what no one has said was…..where was the dominating defense that was gonna get to brees and make him make mistakes. jarred allen did no roping in this game. vikings did everything to give this game away. they had alot of bad calls as every game does but, u cant leave it to the refs. if the saints were not having a bad game also it would of been a much worse beating. we just didnt make as many mistakes. see ya next year. should be a good game. i got it circled too!

61. By Dennis on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Look at all the great running backs that came into the league these last couple of years that don’t constantly fumble. A.P. has a lot of issues. I am not sure what those issues are but they don’t seem to be getting any better. I know the O line has really taken a few steps back and that will more than likely be the key as to if Bret comes back or not. Remember last year, he was expecting to run the offense, not be the offense. If there is no running game and he has to throw 40 times a game, he will be a sitting duck. He will not come back for that! Who would?

62. By Jenni on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

BRETT~ HOPE YOU COME BACK NEXT SEASON!!!! VIKINGS FOOTBALL WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU IF YOU RETIRE, NOR THE NFL AS A WHOLE, YOU GOT SOME MORE GAME LEFT IN YOU MAN!!!
    #4 YOU ROCK!!

63. By cbestone1 on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

why are we Viking fans so much of a group of cry babies!!!! we lost the game with all the turnovers and the final play Farve tossed a INT ( we were in it till then HE lost the game for us ) but we LOL when the Packers lost to Cardnal the same way non-penalty calls, If we would have just stuck with T-Jack this last year sure we would have lost some of those games and the out come NO SUPER BOWL would have been the same…. but at least he would have had a year under his belt and it would be better this year. once again we will be looking for a used up QB to take us to the promised land and fail again PLEASE lets get a QB and teach him and stick with him…

64. By GW on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Coolfleas09…you are a freaking moron. The flag on the high low tackle was never thrown and the NFL just fined the Saints player 20K. That play alone would have gave the Vikings a first down at near the Saints 20. That is a chip shot for Longwell. That was one of many cheap shots the Saints got on Favre. They must be really proud hitting a 40 year old defensless QB that never seen half of the shots coming. You also need to go back and review the game because the Vikings defnese hit Brees plenty. They caused fumbles as well. You need to count your blessings and go crawl back under the rock from which you came. That game was taken from the Vikings and givin to the poor City of New Orleans. I do however agree that the Vikings hurt themselves with turnovers. Considering 6 turnovers you would think the Saints could have won the game fair and square without the cheap shot and the referee’s help. No, the Vikings beat them in ever faucet of the game. Can’t wait until next year. GO COLTS!

65. By hank on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

hey coolbrees it’s easy not to get sacked when you tackle allan from behind and there isn’t a call for holding

66. By Big Easy on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Important Safety Bulletin

The American Medical Alliance has issued a reminder regarding the new national symbol for choking. Please inform all of the people in your safety department..

OLD SYMBOL: Man holding his throat with both hands.

NEW SYMBOL: Minnesota Vikings

67. By Big Easy on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

One good thing about being a Vikings fan….. the diapers the fans wear. You get to drink all the beer you want and never leave the game to hit the can. Bunch of babies…..WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

68. By GW on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Important Announcement: The Vegas Gambling Associaion has issued a reminder regarding the new national symbol for gambling.

Old Symbol: Wayne Newton in a leasure suit.

New Symbol: Wayne Newton dressed as a referee in the Superdome with his hand out.

69. By HANK on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

STILL CAN’T DENY WHAT YOU SAW

70. By Big Easy on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Still needing that hankie, Hank? (And, it’s leisure, Einstein).

GWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!! Twin City twin babies.

What do you call 53 wieners watching the Super Bowl.

The Vikings…..now and forever. Maxo-mega chokers.

Wonder what excuses you can make for all the previous chokes, losers.

71. By moorevikes on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

hey big easy saints haven’t won anything yet. no matter how bad it has gotten with our team we as fans still haven’t put paper bags on our heads and called ourselves the aints. i’ll agree with you that some people are complaining about officiating a little too much. i myself think that had we not put the ball on the ground 6 times and threw 2 ints (i know we only lost 4 of the fumbles but it still does something to a team when the ball comes out) we would have had a better chance. my question to you is are you that much of a loser that you’re still on our site talkin s@#t. personally i could care less that we lost anymore sure it hurt for a day but if you hold on to things it leads to a pretty uneventful life.

72. By vikes crew on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

Well, just want to add I grew up watching and loving the vikes, never was as heart broken as the 98 season which was fun to watch and thought that was our year. Always loved Brett as a player who played for the love of the game, not the money, which came after he had proven himself! I admit hated him as a packer because of his talent which he used against us. But I have to say that his coming back not only made it the best year ever, but it also brought my family closer, we sat as a family every game except on and watched the vikes, the one we missed was the one my daughters actually got to attend and I was ever so happy for them. Brett didnt deserve what he got in Green Bay and am glad he took it to the pack this year, I only hope he realizes how much of an impact he made and returns for another year, and btw…..lets be honest, you haters only dont like him because he is sooooo darn good. say what you will but any fan would of liked him on their team the way he played. I hope he comes back for 2010 for all of to witness a legand again! Way to go Brett!!

73. By BIG ED on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

TODAY I SAW A LIFE TIME VIKINGS FAN WRITE IN OUR HOME TOWN PAPER THAT HE IS SELLING OFF HIS VIKING LOYALTYS ON EBAY AND GOING TO ROOT FOR ANOTHER TEAM. I SAY GOOD, WE DON’T NEED FANS LIKE YOU ANYWAY. I FAN WHO CAN’T STICK WITH HIS TEAM NO MATTER WHAT, WIN OR LOSE, IS A FAN NO TEAMS NEEDS, HOPE HE MOVES OUT OF STATE TOO, SO HE CAN GO FOR ANOTHER TEAM WHO LOSES A BIG GAME AND THEN THIS PRETEND FAN LEAVE THAT TEAM TOO. THE STORY IS IN THE ELK RIVER PAPER AND IT MAKES ME SICK, DON’T MOVE TO GREEN BAY EITHER, BECAUSE THEY DON’T WANT YOU EITHER, THEY ARE TRUE LOYAL FANS NO MATTER WHAT, JUST LIKE TRUE VIKINGS FAN. HERES AN IDEA, JOIN A BIG COMPANY WITH HIGH SALARY CO’S, AND ROOT FOR THEM.

74. By hank on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

HEY BIGEASY DON’T SPEAK TOO LOUD YOU MAY BE EATING THOSE WORD ON 2/8/2010 AND YOU STILL CAN’T DENY WHAT YOU SAW IN OT!!!

75. By jbork88 on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

you want to talked curded franchises? look at the bills

76. By jbork88 on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

you want to talked cursed franchises? look at the bills

77. By jbork88 on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

talk about*

78. By Tro on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

coolbreeze your an idiot the reason the Aints were haveing a bad game is because the Vikings D stopped them. The aints will be blown away in the SB. Just think the Vikes had 5 t/o and still had a chance to win. How much did you guys pay the refs?

79. By Tro on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

Big easy, your easy because you dont know J-s—-. I cant wait till we play again and we’ll be doin the cheap shots like you classless aints fans

80. By TW Vike on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

BIG EASY WIN FOR THE COLTS! Saints suck & so do you! Hows your sister(WIFE)? Come back after the superbowl & well chat!

81. By coolbrees09 on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

to all horn wearing crybabies………tampons and cheese on isle 3. we might not win the superbowl….but we beat your ass. farves not coming back to minn. too many crybabies. he will be in miami on our sideline with us. we paid him not the refs. i hope he comes back next year cuz he was cheap! who dat biotches!

82. By TW Vike on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

foolbrees- You will not win the Superbowl ! You sound like a fan with alot of doubt, thats because the VIKINGS are the BEST in the NFC & you know it !COLTS44-Taints17.

83. By Spencer on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

—————–Allen :)——-K.Williams :)———Ballard :)——–Robison :)————

85. By Spencer on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

…………………Mistral Raymond…………………………………..Harrison Smith……..
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Chris Carr………………………………………………………………………………….Chris Cook
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    ………………..Chad Greenway………Jasper Brinkley………..Erin Henderson…..
    ………..Jared Allen………Kevin Williams…………Fred Evans…….Brian Robison

86. By Spencer on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

…………………Mistral Raymond…………………………………..Harrison Smith……..
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Chris Carr……………………………………………………………………………..Chris Cook
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    ………………..Chad Greenway………Jasper Brinkley………..Erin Henderson…..
    ………..Jared Allen………Kevin Williams…………Fred Evans…….Brian Robison

87. By Spencer on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

…………………Mistral Raymond…………………………………..Harrison Smith……..
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    Chris Carr…………………………………………………………………………Chris Cook
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    ………………..Chad Greenway………Jasper Brinkley………..Erin Henderson…..
    ………..Jared Allen………Kevin Williams…………Fred Evans…….Brian Robison