Rice Talks About 3 TD Receptions Against Cowboys

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 18, 2010 – 1:05 pm

Vikings WR Sidney Rice, coming off a breakout regular season that saw him finish 2nd in the NFC and 4th in the NFL with 1,312 receiving yards, tied an NFL postseason record and set a new Vikings postseason record for receiving TDs in a game by hauling in 3 of them against the Cowboys on Sunday.

Rice, who had 6 grabs for 141 yards on the day, had TD receptions of 47, 16 and 45 yards – plays that dazzled the home crowd and crushed the Cowboys will.

Speaking with reporters following the game, here’s what Rice had to say about each of his 3 TDs.

“The first one was supposed to be a post route, but I had cover two, so outside release and the corner just let me go right behind him. Brett (Favre) just put the ball right there. It was in the perfect spot. The safety wasn’t even looking at the ball. It dropped right into my arms. On the second one, I wasn’t even designed to go out. The play wasn’t designed for me to go out for the pass, but I had to cut the defensive end, (DeMarcus) Ware. I got him down on the ground, and I popped back up and I just started easing back towards the end zone. Brett (Favre) was scrambling and dropped it right off and I back peddled a couple of steps, turned, and got into the end zone. And, the last one, I believe it was cover zero. I gave the defender something off the line, and I was able to get behind him, and once again, Brett (Favre) put the ball right there where it needed to be.”

You can watch highlights of Rice’s TDs by clicking here.

Tags:

20 Responses to “Rice Talks About 3 TD Receptions Against Cowboys”

1. By dthayer on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

RICE!!!! you and favre are an answer to prayers! God Bless! and keep up the great work!!! more blessings for you. believe and you shall prevail!

2. By Ben on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

I remember during the offseason all these vikings fans calling into P.A saying they would rather have Marvin Harrison then Sidney Rice.. Shows what some of these fans really know. I;m a huge vik fan and was there on sunday, I would just like less talk from some fans

3. By Bryan on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

sidney rice is da man!!!! you and favre together are unstoppable man. congrats on your year bro. beat dem saints..

4. By m. andre on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Three great TD plays in a season of many! Thanks to an unbelievably good defensive performance, all it would have taken to win the game was the very first touchdown, since Dallas could only score the one field-goal all game long.

5. By alex on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

da game was everything I expected it to be. now lets steam roll n.o

6. By Jodi on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

My boyfriend who is a die hard Packer fan said at the beginning of the season. So what you got Farve but who will he throw it to. I said Sidney Rice first and he said that Rice is not any good. I said that he was and just needed a good quarterback. Needless to say my boyfriend has heard the comment oh its just that no good Viking receiver that catch it from me several time. He was so wrong. I love you Sidney. Keep up the good work.

7. By purplegang61 on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

One more like yesterday and Sidney can get to the game that Cris Carter (best Vikes receiver ever who should already be in the HOF) unfortunately never got to experience. Get it done for all the past Viking greats and the fans who have been there for so long!!!!

8. By Jbork88 on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

We havn’t seen a Superbowl apperance since 77′, keep doing what you’re doing and we will get there, hopefully win it this time

9. By kevin grant on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

like I said Favre to Sidney Rice all day in the endzones unstopable you see the pressure on brees like they did to Romo Jared Allen the Williams brothers and Ray Edwards unstoppable they aint breaking that line to good for any body you’ll see the Vikings in the Super Bowl the Vikings to dominate they dont need antoine winfield in the Secondary to win to good up front the Vikings going to run over the saints up front.

10. By Tro on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Where are all the Cowgirl fans now. They talked and the Vikes played. Two more to go. I for one BELIEVE the guys can do it and will do it. GOOOOOO VIKESSSSS

11. By CA Norwegian on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Rice was certainly the favorite,. Thanks coach for not listening to the fans who wanted to trade him for some talented malcontent at Denver. Thanks for those great catches.

12. By paul on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Are there any Adrian Peterson highlites from Sundays game. 8-weeks in a row with less than 100 yards rushing.

13. By L.A. Viking on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

SIDNEY RICE is RI”DONK”ULOUS!
    And the Silver Fox, BRETT FAVRE’s play is METEORIC!

Another BIG GAME this week!
    We got to put an end to the NFC Championship Game blues…
    (Redskins, Falcons, & Giants all sent us home, packing)

NOT THIS TIME… GO VIKES!

14. By bigfan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

ADRIAN PETERSON IS DUE TO HAVE A BREAKOUT GAME. i think it will happen this sunday he wants to have some fun to. sydney is going to be covered big time this next game mayby that will open harvin and shankoe for brett to throw too. its going to be another good game.

15. By lifetime viks fan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Awsome game Sidney !!! I agree that AP is due to break out, and don’t forget Bernard B, another great talent. We have more weapons that we can unleash. Have been a Viks fan since 1976, lets do it.

16. By tbird on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

THAT WAS A GREAT PERFORMANCE ON SUNDAY BUT THE SAINTS ARE GOING TO DOUBLE TEAM HIM..WHICH IS GOOD BECAUSE THAT MEANS NO 8 MAN FRONTS..AP SHOULD HAVE A BIG GAME!! ..GIVE HIM THE ROCK 25 TIMES AND WE WILL WIN…GOOOO VIKINGS

17. By Michael on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I ride or die Vikings. I have to laugh at all the Farve haters that were talking all that trash about him in the beginning but now all you hear out of them is that the Vikings may go to the Superbowl. lol. So much talent we have. Sidney, thanks for a FANTASTIC year. GO VIKINGS

18. By Sara on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I have always been a huge Packer fan, BUT, unlike many others here in Wisconsin, I will ALWAYS back Brett Favre up. I never thought Id actually cheer for the Vikings, but this year has been different. I am so glad Favre is with you all and he is having the great season that he is, and its great to see Rice excell the way he has. GO BRETT and I hope you guys win it all this year!!! F*** all the Packer fans that talk with their big mouths, they can have Aaron Rodgers, lets see where that gets them, lol

19. By paul on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Sara, Who would you rather have, a 40 year old guy or a 26 year old?

Go Pack…

20. By formerpackerfan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Sara
    I concur with every word that you said. Jared Allen, Rice, and the rest of the Viking team took Brett into their hearts and they back him up also,they beat Green Bay both games. YEAH!! The Viking fans loved him right away, they were very happy to get him on their team. Packer fans should be ashamed how they treated Brett after MM & TT discarded him. After all those years that he gave you exciting games, many wins, plus a Super Bowl win, shame, shame on you!!!
    Go Vikings