Minneapolis Hospitality Industry Supports Stadium Solution

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 8, 2010 – 8:06 am

Meet Minneapolis™, Official Convention + Visitors Association, and its Board of Directors announced on Thursday its support for a Vikings stadium solution during the 2010 Legislative Session.

“We believe the Vikings are an important asset that needs to be retained in Minnesota,” said Meet Minneapolis President & CEO Melvin Tennant. “Professional sports add to the competitiveness of the region and positively impact the hospitality industry, which is why we support the Vikings efforts to resolve this issue in 2010.”

Within the position statement, Meet Minneapolis said, “the team generates awareness, civic pride, tourism and fan visits while adding significantly to the state’s economy…therefore Meet Minneapolis™, Convention + Visitors Association, strongly supports an aggressive public discussion and action leading to a solution to the team’s facilities needs before the end of the 2010 Legislative Session.”

“We are very appreciative of Meet Minneapolis’ support of our stadium efforts,” said Vikings VP of Public Affairs and Stadium Development Lester Bagley. “The Vikings value the input of the hospitality industry and the relationship we have with them. We know this project will not move forward without the involvement of business and community leaders like Meet Minneapolis.”

ABOUT MEET MINNEAPOLIS: Meet Minneapolis is a private, not-for-profit, member-based association. It actively promotes the Minneapolis area as a venue for conventions and meetings and markets the city as a desirable tourist destination to bring a positive economic impact to the greater Minneapolis area.

17 Responses to “Minneapolis Hospitality Industry Supports Stadium Solution”

1. By vikeforever on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I currently live in the state of NJ and grew up in Pa. I have been a VIkings Fan for over 30 yrs. I cannot believe its taking this long to have a new stadium. This is a winning francise and its quite embarrassing for the state of Minnesota to not have a stadium. So, get over it and build the stadium. Do you have to wait until the owners move the team out of you state before taking action.

2. By Vikefan on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Yes our state is dumb…They always wait until a team leaves before taking action…such putz’s…I have to say if the Vikes leave I will NOT be a fan of a new team…Its the Vikes or nothing for me.

3. By Kimberly Clement on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Some one on Facebook had a great idea, if each fan sent 1 dollar we would have that new stadium. I have a $10 available, where do I send it?

4. By Canadian Viking on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I’ve got 10 bucks!!

5. By Canadian Viking on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

It’s canadian though

6. By Vike fan in Illinios on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Being from Illinois, I have a hard time understanding how this stadium issue has not been already taken care of. My god, the Bears put a ton of money in rebuilding their stadium. Do i need to say more. You would think it would be a no- brainer for the state to get this done no matter what. This has been an on going issue for quite somtime. I really enjoy the couple of games a year me and my family get to go see the VIKINGS play. Training camp is a blast. Meeting the players and what not. Minnesota get this done!

7. By NorweiganLegion on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

COME ON OVER TO CALIFORNIA VIKINGS, LA WOULD BE A GREAT LOCATION :D ILL GET SEASON TICKETS FOR SURE!

8. By fkj74 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I got ten. great season Go Vikes!

9. By Bruce Dylla on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Our state legislators say everyone wants to keep the Vikings here in MN but with the deficit we can’t deal with the stadium now, not this year. All they seem to care about is the never ending Increasing of Educational Funding. But this public school system is a pathetic joke when it comes to spending tax payer dollars. I thought legislators were suppose to make happen what the people want. You thought tax revenue was short now because of the recession, Go ahead and let the Vikings get sold to LA just like the Lakers and after you have all those millionaires associated with the Vikings leave the state guess how much more tax revenue will be gone? Who will be paying for your educational funding increases then and the years to come? morons! Not to mention everything else that team does for this state, the charity, the business, all gone!!! The state wants to spend more on roads because construction costs are at an all time low price. Sow why can’t they apply that reasoning to rebuilding a stadium!!

10. By paul on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Do the Vikings sell out every game?
    Is there a waiting list for Viking season tickets?

Just a few questions that should be address before the Tax Payers foot the bill.
    P.S. Whats wrong with the Metro Dome? They redid Lambeau and Soldiers Field.

11. By Bryan on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t they take private donations? Heck, myself and a bunch of my friends would gladly work Saturdays and donate our O.T. checks towards a stadium donation plan. Whatever it takes to keep them in Minnesota!!

12. By PAVikesFan on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

I understand it’s tough, especially with the economic status in our country. Let’s be honest, there are more important things in this country we need to deal with than football. That’s not easy for me to say, b/c I live Vikings football, heck, I dont even live in MN, I live in PA…Thing is, they should have acted on this a long time ago, years ago. Now look what has happened, the Twins and Gophers acted first and they got the state’s money, now there isnt enough for them to spend on the poor Vikings. Bottom line is, if it was going to happen, I think it would have by now. The longer this thing drags out, the more likely it is that we only have 2 more seasons left in MN………..???

13. By Shawn James on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

Will there ever again be a STADIUM in the sky?

14. By michael a. on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

Any stadium ideas should always factor in the comfort and enjoyment of the game for attending fans and make good design sense and be a lasting structure. I do believe the costs for some of these things is beyond what one should expect taxpayers and fans (in higher ticket costs) and states to bear. From a fan perspective if someone wants to build me a dream ideal stadium for free than great.

The sport, the team and the enjoyment of NFL games does warrant a quality venue though, so there is merit to wanting the best environment to host games.

At one point during the Patriots emergence more of a Big Time team, there was talk that Kraft would move the team to a to-be-built location in riverfront Hartford, Connecticut (still in New England). It did not happen. I hate to think of a team threatening to leave a state that has supported them over a building structure. My wish is for a team win a state win and a community win = balance solution in terms of costs and benefits.

No go out there and win!

15. By Ron Schuelke on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

I am from Illinois and have been a VIKING FAN for over 35 years.I got 20 bucks,better yet if Minnesota don’t want them we will take them. And they can have the bears.Not that this state could pay for anything ether.

16. By Beer Guy 97 on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

If we spent our money to keep our teams in Minnesota, instead of importing “welfare” people for the state to support, crime would drop, and we could be a proud state again. Just my opinion.

17. By Jonas on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

Whats wrong with the metrodome?
    go vikings!