Childress Lays Out Vikings Plan For Bye Week

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 4, 2010 – 1:49 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress met with reporters at Winter Park on Monday afternoon for his usual day-after-the-game press conference to review Sunday’s victory over the NY Giants and address questions about his team and how they’ll approach their bye week.

By virtue of Sunday’s win and a Philadelphia Eagles loss later in the day, the Vikings secured a 1st-round bye in the NFC playoffs and won’t play again until Sunday, January 17 in the Divisional Round.

When asked if he preferred to have a bye this week compared to playing in the Wild Card round and continuing the momentum generated from 6 consecutive quarters of outstanding offensive production, Childress unequivocally said the bye is the way to go.

“I’m excited about it,” Childress said of the 1st-round bye. “It’s one of the goals that we set in place, aside from wanting to win the NFC North and playing at home in the playoffs. There’s a reason you want to play at home. We have great crowds, great fans, obviously we’re 8-0 at home and you want to play off of all those things.”

Childress said he was about to head into a team meeting after the press conference to address his team and lay out the plan for the bye week.

“We’ll take time to come in here and meet today and talk about what the calendar looks like,” Childress said. “I think we’re best served right now to get some rest mentally and physically.”

Following the team meeting, it sounded as if the players were free to go for the week and spend time with their families. Some players, Childress said, will remain in town to treat and train in an attempt to be fresh for the playoffs. They will be expected back sometime over next weekend to resume their preparations for the Divisional round at some point on Sunday.

We’ve explained in this space in the past that being a head coach has demands that extend beyond just winning football games on Sundays. Balancing that with administrative duties and the task of managing so many different personalities, among other things, is a challenge and requires one to make difficult decisions.

But Childress said giving the players this week off at this point in the season was not a difficult decision.

“It is true that people you locker by every day you see more than you probably see members of your family,” Childress explained. “When you spend that much time with somebody, sometimes familiarity can breed contempt. While we have a great group that’s fun to be around, they can use a little down time from each other and come back with a bounce in their step on Sunday.”

The Vikings coaching staff will spend this week working ahead on preparations for the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles. It’s impossible to know at this point who the Vikings will play in the Divisional Round, but since they’ve played games this year already against Arizona and Green Bay, the staff is better-served to focus on Dallas and Philadelphia this week. And although the Vikings can’t play the Eagles unless they meet in the NFC Championship Game, it makes sense to prepare for the Eagles because they’ll encounter a lot of tape on Philadelphia as they prepare for the Cowboys (both teams play in the NFC East).

17 Responses to “Childress Lays Out Vikings Plan For Bye Week”

1. By RayVIKES59 on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Eagles,Cowboys,Cards or Packers, the VIKES will stump their GUTS!!!!

2. By AARON COX SR. on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I am 45 years of age,and I have been a VIKINGS FAN all my life. I mean way back, and never gave up on my VIKES. This is the ONLY NFL TEAM THAT I EVER LOVED.It’s time for a CHAMPIONSHIP after getting their four times and come up short. I really believe that this is the year !! Stay running the ball with A.P.. and stunning with Brett. We must Win because we may never get another chance or ever have a team that we have now. We have the best and most talented team in the nfl. So to my Vikings if we get to the Superbowl. We will win it and I will be in Miami, and purchase season tickets for the first time.Although i live in Tampa it would be worth the money, and time.. AGAIN I AM THE NUMER 1 VIKINGS FAN WITH OUT A DOUBT.AND I BLEED PURPLE

3. By steve o on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

not a week off . or shouldn’t be. should be an extra week to prepare even harder. on areas lacking….. like bigger holes for adrian. or new running plays. maybe help the pass rush out . they are working very hard. and still giving up long ball. and short ball and all other areas of passing. lets be a better coach and figure it out. you have the talent. the rest is up to you coach……. do your job…….. other coaches would be so happy with talent you have on your team

4. By purplehorn on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

This time off is going to be good for the Vikings. Everyone is going to say that they should be working- but it is proven that a little break can help anyone recharge the batteries. After getting pounded on for 16 games- they need the rest.

5. By Hornedhelm on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

As long as they stay out of trouble.

6. By Hornedhelm on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I would be looking at the Dallas Defense adn the Packers now #! run defense.

7. By TJM on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations on winning the NFC North!! Take a week off to rest and mentally prepare for the playoffs. Kiss your wives, hug your kids, then Go Vikes Go!!!!

8. By purplegang61 on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Been a Vikes fan since a kid in the early 70′s. At this point in my life as a Vikes fan I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too high (especially after ’99 NFC champ. game). I hope they can get to the big dance again, 33 years has been a long time to wait for another one. Either they’ll get it done or they won’t. Simple as that…

9. By Nate F. on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

do you think vikes should go for the following players
    Julius Peppers
    Shawn Merriman
    Osi Umenyiora
    Terell Owens
    Randy Moss (if his contract’s up)

I really want to see this as a blog to hear people’s comments about it

thanks

10. By Vikings1 on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I think Julius Peppers would be an excellent addition to our already good defense, also I think that another good DT/Nose tackle would be a good idea since Pat Williams is getting along in age. But I also would look at another quality safety in a trade or draft, wouldn’t mind seeing Randay Moss back also.

11. By SJ McKinley on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to all the guys. Hope they are not irritated with each other as Chilly seems to suggest. they played so well together! Know AP is not meeting run expectations, but has exceeded TD expectations.

A week off will be good. I know Brett recharges mentally and physically and comes back 444%. Would think would be good for the rest of the guys, too. they will work hard next week. Their biggest challenge is mentally knowing for certain they will win, so rest up boys and come back knowing what great winners you are!

12. By PAVikesFan on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

This is always a tricky area. Sometimes, when ur hot, u want to keep playing. The time off always seems to cool off the hotter teams. Teams that have things locked up so early and rest their players the final week or 2 always seem to come out flat in their first playoff game. I’ve never been a fan of resting players, however, with one of our best defensive players being injured, this week of rest is beneficial, in my opinion. I think #4 will be fine, it shouldnt affect his timing with his WR’s, at least I hope not. Let them be with their families, re-fresh thier minds, escape for a bit, re-charge their batteries. They have no game-plan for any team this week, there’s no need to waste time on studying film on every team. THEN, they come back with their last hurrah of the season, and go from there.

13. By VikingsFanatic on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

The bye is awesome. We have a lot of nicks n dings at this point. Hutchinson, Favre, AP, Winfield, Pat Williams, and plus it doesnt take a genius to see that Jarel Allen is gassed out and could use a breather. Call me crazy but the more i think of it i want the Cards. I want a revenge a**kickin to make up for that Sunday night game when we didnt seem to show up. Anyway this is an amazing time to be a Vikes fan. Lets get some rest and then get after it. This is what we wanted Brett for..this time of year. Lets hope he delivers.

14. By rap99 on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

bye week is always a good thing. would you rather be the 1 seed or the 6 seed. you always pick the bye week. come on 08!

15. By David on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

I hope they are not spending too much time preparing for the Eagles… seeing as the #2 seed wont end up playing the #6 seed anytime soon. Our first chance of running into the eagles would be in the NFC championship game.

16. By Jadpep on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Awesome season guys!! I really enjoyed watching players like Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin make a huge impact on the team. It just goes to prove that with alot of hard work and pure desire, good things can and will happen. Im very excited to see what happens in the playoffs. I’ve been a huge Viks fan my whole life and never loose confidence in the team even when things look tough, its hard to win all the time. Of course adding Brett Favre to the roster helps. Enjoy the rest and relaxation you deserve it. And when its time, go out there and kick some fu@#in ass!!!!!

17. By marcus on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

need big help in these areas? free safety and a true shut down corner and a speedy offensive takle that more ready to handle dt’s like peppers,ware,and ect